Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 23 > OOTP 23 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 23 - General Discussions Everything about the brand new 2022 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB and the MLBPA.

Old 02-09-2023, 07:53 PM   #1
RubeBaker
All Star Reserve

If you could replay any season in MLB history...

Which one would you choose? For me, it's a toss-up between 1981 and 1994. I've thought about taking the 1981 Phillies in a historical replay and seeing what would have happened had Ruly Carpenter not sold the team and Philadelphia had kept guys like Julio Franco. They actually let George Bell go to the Blue Jays in November 1980 via the Rule 5 Draft.

1981 at least had a conclusion, but it'd be fun to play the games as they were scheduled to see who would have won.

Which season would you choose or have you chosen?
RubeBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 08:29 PM   #2
Old School Sports
Bat Boy

Both of your suggestions are great ones in my opinion.

I would personally go with 1994, since we didn’t end up with a champion that year. Plus some of the potential storylines there would be interesting to me: Could Donnie Baseball win a championship? Could Matt Williams or Ken Griffey Jr. get to 60 HR? Could an Expos title have saved baseball in Montreal?
Old School Sports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 09:22 PM   #3
Dave Stieb II
All Star Reserve

Great question and I'm in full agreement on both '81 and '94 - ironically probably the two best seasons in Montreal Expos history.
The '81 team came as close to the crown as the talented but under-achieving roster of that era would get. Dawson, Carter, Raines, Rogers et al looked to be in good shape until Black Monday.
And the '94 team was dominating the NL, well on its way to dethroning the Braves in the East, and looking like a good bet to square off with the Yankees in the WS. (all speculation and conjecture of course because we all know anything can happen in a short playoff series)
Nevertheless, it is an interesting question - would baseball interest in Montreal have been given a sustainable boost with a WS appearance/title?
We'll never know.
Dave Stieb II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 09:50 PM   #4
discodude5
Major Leagues

1998 with a true cleanup of steroid use so that McGwire,Sosa, Bonds never break the HR records. As well the confirmed pitchers are banned.

The pursuit of the AL HR record by Judge was a small reminder of how fantastic the chase of Maris's record pre steroid era was any time someone was looking like they had a chance.
I always thought Griffey Jr was going to break it.
discodude5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 02:28 AM   #5
luckymann
Hall Of Famer

Will be reading suggestions eagerly and taking notes for my Anatomy of a Season project currently underway.
luckymann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 05:07 AM   #6
zappa1
All Star Starter

Oh boy. This is what I do most of the time. I have seven seasons going right now but I'm mostly playing 1963. I switch around from time to time with my morning coffee but that's the one I'm playing right now. Also running the Phillies.
zappa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 08:38 AM   #7
silvam14
Hall Of Famer

I'm partial to the mid-late 80's so I would say 1986
Old 02-10-2023, 10:07 AM   #8
joefromchicago
Hall Of Famer

If you could replay any season in MLB history...

... you'd want to play OOTP Baseball!
joefromchicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 10:18 AM   #9
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

1987 would be a fun one if the AL East race is anything like the real one. The Tigers/Blue Jay battle was incredible. Doyle Alexander coming to the Tigers at the deadline and pitching like he thought he was Pete Alexander was very exciting, even if it did mean the loss of a Hall of Famer to the Braves. Then the Twins...Damn the Twins and that glove smacking fake Senor Smoke...couldn't even get his own nickname. Ugh, I digress.
David Watts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 10:42 AM   #10
jg2977
Hall Of Famer

I'd like to do the 1994 playoffs and see how many tries it would take for the AL West champion Texas Rangers (52-62) to pull off a World Series miracle, upsetting the Yankees and Expos in the process.
jg2977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 12:17 PM   #11
mytreds
All Star Reserve

2002. I want Bonds to get that ring.

“Once, centuries ago, it was the beloved national pastime of the Americas, Wesley. Abandoned by a society that prized fast food and faster games. Lost to impatience.”

“ The term ‘WAR’ should be replaced by ‘WAG’. WAR isn’t an actual measurement; it’s just a wild-ass guess” -Bill James

RIP National League 1876-2022

I make custom ballparks.
mytreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 12:51 PM   #12
progen
All Star Starter

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
1964. Try and help my beloved Phillies from that epic collapse, losing ten in a row at the end of the season, blowing a six and a half game lead, with only 12 games to go.
progen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 01:07 PM   #13
CONN CHRIS
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Watts View Post
1987 would be a fun one if the AL East race is anything like the real one. The Tigers/Blue Jay battle was incredible. Doyle Alexander coming to the Tigers at the deadline and pitching like he thought he was Pete Alexander was very exciting, even if it did mean the loss of a Hall of Famer to the Braves. Then the Twins...Damn the Twins and that glove smacking fake Senor Smoke...couldn't even get his own nickname. Ugh, I digress.
My recollection is that Doyle looked like a shipwreck survivor that had washed up on shore and been stuffed into a uniform.
Old 02-10-2023, 01:22 PM   #14
kq76
Global Moderator

1985. I love that the World Series was an all-Missouri affair between KC and StL. However, Toronto had 99 regular season wins to KC's 91 and Toronto was up 3 games to 1 in the ALCS (as was StL in the WS) only for KC to come back in both that series and the WS. I also wasn't quite into baseball yet and I wish I had been as baseball just seemed so much better in the 80s with all the base-stealing and not so much focus on power.
kq76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 01:47 PM   #15
jg2977
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Watts View Post
1987 ALCS should have been Tigers vs. Blue Jays. Twins didn't belong with that .525 winning percentage. The Yankees finished 4th in the East with .549, 4 games ahead of the Twins. Keep in mind that they had a balanced schedule back then. Twins only got in because of geography.
Old 02-10-2023, 01:54 PM   #16
thehef
Hall Of Famer

I like what-ifs... What if the '75 Dodgers hadn't been decimated by injuries? Could they have given the Big Red Machine a run for their money?

And, along those lines, as a kid in 1975 it was the first year I got into baseball. Really got into it, listening to as many Dodger games as I could, with the season culminating with watching my first World Series - with my cousin who was a BIG Cincinnati fan. So I naturally pulled for the Red Sox. So while I've never strayed from the Dodgers, that Red Sox team is an all-time fave. (Another what-if is... What if the free agency, trades, etc., hadn't broken up that Red Sox team over the next few years? Freddy, Pudge, Rooster, El Tiante, Coop, Spaceman, Beniquez, Wise...)

Also, 50's, 60's - and to a lesser extent - 70's postseason pitching rotations fascinate me, so seeing if some of those matchups can be recreated is fun. Doesn't have to be the exact same matchup. For example, a 1960's World Series between Cards & Twins, Giants & Orioles, Dodgers & Tigers... all would have authentic-for-the-era flavor, even though they never happened...

Oh yeah...
Quote:
Originally Posted by kq76 View Post
1985. I love that the World Series was an all-Missouri affair between KC and StL.
... that year... My Dodgers should've beaten the Cards in the NLCS... See if I can keep LA in contention until Madlock arrives, then see if I can keep Tom Neidenfuer from throwing volleyballs to Cards hitters...

Last edited by thehef; 02-10-2023 at 01:58 PM.
thehef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 02:23 PM   #17
Clovidequano Dovatha
Hall Of Famer

Location: Somewhere in the United States of America on God's Earth
We were robbed, at least in part, I think, in 1985 against the Royals, and in 1987, the Twins had too much of an unfair advantage over us with their Metrodome. Don't get me started, though, on 2004 and/or 2013, although I will admit the Boston Red Sox were very good, at least, in both of those years, in truth. Obviously, I'm a Cards fan, but I still have unpleasant thoughts about all four of those Series that we were in against the Royals, Twins, and Red Sox. I have nothing personal, mind you, against those other teams. But I still think we were robbed in at least two, if not all, of the mentioned Series, at least in part, if not entirely, folks.

I've actually spent most of my life to date living in Minnesota, but I've still never really liked non-retractable domed stadiums for baseball and football all that much, if even a little bit at all, in truth. Those two sports should basically only be played either in open-air or in retractable domed stadiums whenever possible, in my view, and never in non-retractable domed ones, if it can possibly be avoided at all, at that. CD out.

Proverbs 16:7 KJV
Romans 12:18 KJV
Philippians 2:1-11 KJV

DeviantArt:

https://www.deviantart.com/clovidequano-dovatha

GBA:

https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...d.php?t=316515

EC's IPA:

https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...d.php?t=158631

Updates to my various threads may be delayed or sporadic, and requests may still be some time away, while I continue working on LUtD. CD out.
Clovidequano Dovatha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 03:00 PM   #18
jg2977
Hall Of Famer

Is it possible in OOTP23 to play out the 1994 playoffs with the exact standings when the strike began, on August 12th?

If I'm correct, the playoff seedings would have been:

American League
Cleveland Indians (WC) vs. New York Yankees (1)
Texas Rangers (3) vs. Chicago White Sox (2)

National League
Atlanta Braves (WC) vs. (2) Cincinnati Reds
Los Angeles Dodgers (3) vs. Montreal Expos (1)

Wild cards couldn't play their own division winner back in those days.
Old 02-10-2023, 03:10 PM   #19
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

67 - I really wanted to see Yaz get a ring to go with that Triple Crown. Came up 1 game short. Heck, I just wanted to see Yaz get a ring.

Bob Gibson, why couldn't you just have 1 off day during the series? You didn't, that's why you deserved and won MVP.
Bluenoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 03:15 PM   #20
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kq76 View Post
1985. I love that the World Series was an all-Missouri affair between KC and StL. However, Toronto had 99 regular season wins to KC's 91 and Toronto was up 3 games to 1 in the ALCS (as was StL in the WS) only for KC to come back in both that series and the WS. I also wasn't quite into baseball yet and I wish I had been as baseball just seemed so much better in the 80s with all the base-stealing and not so much focus on power.
This was definitely an excellent series. Who can forget Don Denkinger for the missed call in game 6.
Bluenoser is offline   Reply With Quote