Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 15 > OOTP 15 - General Discussions

OOTP 15 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2014 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Closed Thread

Old 06-23-2014, 04:16 AM   #1
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Exclamation A litte update!

Hey guys,

we've been somewhat quiet lately, but that doesn't mean we have been completely idle. While Andreas and I have been in rehab mode after the release time & first couple of patches (this is always very stressful for us, as you can imagine), our 3D developer Jorin was hard at work. He has been developing a true physics based 3D ball-flight engine... now, this may sound trivial at first, but it is an extremely complex topic and it took months to get it done right (for example, most games where objects fly basically fake physics, but the engine in OOTP takes all sorts of relevant things into equation in a proper physical model, i.e. air pressure, temperature, wind, ball spin, humidity etc.). Also, he has greatly improved the ballpark import / editor in OOTP to make it more user friendly for the modders / users.

So, we do plan on releasing an update for OOTP 15 in the second week of July which has these 3D improvements implemented, along with plenty of other tweaks and fixes in that area. Further, it fixes reported bugs, makes the free agent compensation / arbitration process more realistic (OOTP now correctly assign FA comp status to all free-agent eligible players who stayed on the team the entire year, and compensation draft picks are only given when the user/AI offered arbitration to this player, which in this case is a one-year contract worth the salary setting for star-calibre players, which is $14m by default) and draft picks with an 'impossible' signability no longer state a demand, so you basically have one shot only to make a substantial offer.

This week, we have our annual company meeting, so we're doing plenty of planning with everyone involved in the company being in Hamburg, Germany. There are exciting times ahead!

Cheers,
Markus
Old 06-23-2014, 04:31 AM   #2
hyde4us11
Major Leagues

FA compensation being fixed is something I've been waiting for for a very very very long time.

FCB- Washington D.C. Freedom
FOD- Washington D.C. Freedom
HRBL- Hartford Riverhawks
Old 06-23-2014, 04:56 AM   #3
dmytron

Good news, but when John will work on more important things, e.g. player animations, using player attributes in 3D visualization, umpires and so on?

Old 06-23-2014, 05:20 AM   #4
Orioles1966
Hall Of Famer

Any talk of a basketball game at the meetings?
Old 06-23-2014, 06:54 AM   #5
jpeters1734
Hall Of Famer

Sounds exciting! I'll be looking forward to the update. I love this game. Leagues ahead of other sims like mogul and 2k front office manager. I can not wait for the football sim.
Old 06-23-2014, 07:43 AM   #6
Cryomaniac
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmytron View Post
Good news, but when John will work on more important things, e.g. player animations, using player attributes in 3D visualization, umpires and so on?
IIRC Markus has said that that will be for OOTP 16 (and beyond).

Old 06-23-2014, 07:50 AM   #7
pjh5165
Major Leagues

Great news that compensation picks are being fixed.
Old 06-23-2014, 10:03 AM   #8
Caporegime
All Star Starter

Hey, Markus. Is there any truth to the rumor that you sit in a chair similar to this one at your company meetings?

adult photo sharing
Old 06-23-2014, 10:25 AM   #9
BradC
All Star Starter

Caporegime: I am at the company office in Hamburg right now and can confirm that your picture isn't far off. Unfortunately, I am not allowed to post a photo of the real thing.

RE player animations, etc.: What Cryomaniac said is correct. Jorin gave me a demo of the improvements to the stadium editor today, and we talked about player animations, which he said are planned for next year. As Markus said in his post, the 3D part of the game that's there right now took months to get right, and Jorin is a really smart programmer. 3D is tough to do, so it will take a while for player animations.
Old 06-23-2014, 12:08 PM   #10
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmytron View Post
1) His name is Jorin.
2) The other stuff is far down the line (several versions), we are not Take2 and do not have 20 3D developers / artists. It will be a slow but steady progress. Just some patience please
Old 06-23-2014, 01:22 PM   #11
IanIachimoe
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeters1734 View Post
Sounds exciting! I'll be looking forward to the update. I love this game. Leagues ahead of other sims like mogul and 2k front office manager. I can not wait for the football sim.

wasn't aware of the OOTP series until 14, but it was the kind of game I have always been looking for. haven't even thought of playing anything else since.

thanks for all the hard work that goes into such a great game
Old 06-23-2014, 01:39 PM   #12
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orioles1966 View Post
Any talk of a basketball game at the meetings?
Nope.
Old 06-23-2014, 01:42 PM   #13
Cole416
Minors (Single A)

Hey Markus, thanks for developing one of my favorite games of all time
Old 06-23-2014, 02:45 PM   #14
Habsfan18
Hall Of Famer

Hey Markus! Is this issue being worked on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
Why can I still not add the new international leagues to an existing/imported game?

23 MLB GM's were immediately canned and all player salaries became messed up.

I remember this being mentioned the day the game was released.

Is this being worked on? Thanks.
I still can't add the international leagues.

Thanks.
Old 06-23-2014, 04:03 PM   #15
Avindian
Minors (Triple A)

Is there any chance of getting coaching ratings on the personnel screen? It would make identifying and cultivating coaches much easier. I specifically mean the screen under Front Office --> Personnel.

The news of a new update always fills me with joy.
Old 06-24-2014, 01:07 AM   #16
PedroGuerrero28
Bat Boy

Just wanted to say thanks for all your hard work. I am avid fan of the MLB The Show, but I think they are going to focus on the PS4, which I cannot afford. I am turning to OOTP as a less expensive alternative to my baseball gaming fix.

I am curious to know what will 3d players look like? Will they look like the players in this video link below?

Tony LaRussa Baseball II Gameplay - YouTube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Heinsohn View Post
Hey guys,

we've been somewhat quiet lately, but that doesn't mean we have been completely idle. While Andreas and I have been in rehab mode after the release time & first couple of patches (this is always very stressful for us, as you can imagine), our 3D developer Jorin was hard at work. He has been developing a true physics based 3D ball-flight engine... now, this may sound trivial at first, but it is an extremely complex topic and it took months to get it done right (for example, most games where objects fly basically fake physics, but the engine in OOTP takes all sorts of relevant things into equation in a proper physical model, i.e. air pressure, temperature, wind, ball spin, humidity etc.). Also, he has greatly improved the ballpark import / editor in OOTP to make it more user friendly for the modders / users.

So, we do plan on releasing an update for OOTP 15 in the second week of July which has these 3D improvements implemented, along with plenty of other tweaks and fixes in that area. Further, it fixes reported bugs, makes the free agent compensation / arbitration process more realistic (OOTP now correctly assign FA comp status to all free-agent eligible players who stayed on the team the entire year, and compensation draft picks are only given when the user/AI offered arbitration to this player, which in this case is a one-year contract worth the salary setting for star-calibre players, which is $14m by default) and draft picks with an 'impossible' signability no longer state a demand, so you basically have one shot only to make a substantial offer.

This week, we have our annual company meeting, so we're doing plenty of planning with everyone involved in the company being in Hamburg, Germany. There are exciting times ahead!

Cheers,
Markus
Old 06-24-2014, 01:08 AM   #17
pastimesteve
Bat Boy

Markus - regarding 3D stuff, I had suggested this a couple of versions ago, but what if -- as an interim step well before player animations -- there were 2D representations of player "uniforms" (represented as a circle with the player's number in the center) on the playing field as an option instead of the player names/ratings that are typically shown on the field? The user would have the ability to edit the border color, number color, select pinstripes or solid color fill, pinstripe color, etc. I just think this would add to the atmosphere of the game if you're the GM and just like watching key games unfold.

The circles would move along the base paths, defensive players' "uniforms" would move to the location of the ball based on the new physics engine, etc. I'm dating myself, but I'm thinking back to an NFL computer PC game where the X's and O's would move up and down the playing field, except with OOTP, the uniform circles would be reflected in the action.

Just a thought and I may be the only one who would like this sort of thing.

Steve
Old 06-24-2014, 08:48 AM   #18
BradC
All Star Starter

From my conversation with Jorin, we still don't really know how they will look yet. It will take some time to figure that out. Stay tuned, as they say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroGuerrero28 View Post
Just wanted to say thanks for all your hard work. I am avid fan of the MLB The Show, but I think they are going to focus on the PS4, which I cannot afford. I am turning to OOTP as a less expensive alternative to my baseball gaming fix.

I am curious to know what will 3d players look like? Will they look like the players in this video link below?

Tony LaRussa Baseball II Gameplay - YouTube
Old 06-24-2014, 10:28 AM   #19
PedroGuerrero28
Bat Boy

Hey pastime Steve,

The game are you thinking about is called XOR Nfl Challenge

XOR NFL Challenge - YouTube

The circles would move along the base paths, defensive players' "uniforms" would move to the location of the ball based on the new physics engine, etc. I'm dating myself, but I'm thinking back to an NFL computer PC game where the X's and O's would move up and down the playing field, except with OOTP, the uniform circles would be reflected in the action.
Old 06-24-2014, 11:00 AM   #20
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
3-d, bah. Improve the simulation and the AI!
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
Closed Thread