Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 15 > OOTP 15 - General Discussions

OOTP 15 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2014 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 07-03-2014, 06:33 PM   #41
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

Anything like storylines, comments about players, etc... are challenging, because there are so many players out there, and only so many comments that the devs can write.

The other issues is to strike the right balance between giving life to players and teams, and inundating you with details. It might be interesting to have more stories about players, but if we have to hear for the 50th time that "chemistry is great in the clubhouse" or "another clubhouse blowout", it can get boring.

And all of this gets more complicated because of different play-styles. If I breeze through a season in an hour or 2, I don't want to sift through daily emails about my players. But if I play out each game, maybe I don't mind reading a daily recap of my team, or that Joe Schmo had an off-day because he was upset his kid got picked last in school for his soccer team, etc...

I definitely think there's some room for improvements. Certainly putting out a weekly email for the month or so before the All-Star game giving updates about votes for players would be fairly in-obtrusive. As would a single message/action in the off-season detailing changes to the stadium. But when you get to the player level, it gets challenging since even one message per year per player on your 40-man roster (never mind throughout the farm) is still an extra message a week. That might be getting to be a little too much, never mind the database required to track stories per player to keep them somewhat consistent (don't want to have the same player go through 2 divorces in a season if he didn't get married in between).
Matt Arnold is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 07:53 PM   #42
baseballonly
All Star Reserve

Maybe this could come with a "detail level" option? So if you want to hear little about player's lives you could tone it down, but if you want lots of details you could get them.
baseballonly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 09:06 PM   #43
ChiefWahoo
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseballonly View Post
Maybe this could come with a "detail level" option? So if you want to hear little about player's lives you could tone it down, but if you want lots of details you could get them.
Brilliant idea, yes, this is a game built on options... different tiers of this could be useful.
ChiefWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 10:16 AM   #44
Cryomaniac
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseballonly View Post
That would be a cool idea. Obvious way to do it would be to have a "minimum detail level" field in the storylines file.

Cryomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 12:19 PM   #45
Padreman
Hall Of Famer

Location: Tijuana, Baja California, Mexico (formally San Diego, CA.)
Nm

Chargers= Despicable Traitors

Last edited by Padreman; 10-15-2014 at 12:25 PM.
Padreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 12:25 PM   #46
Padreman
Hall Of Famer

Players visiting kids in then hospital promising then to win a game for them. Lou Whitaker and Chet Lemon did not stand with Their teams in real life during the National anthem flag salute due to their religious believes. Something like that could be cool.

Old 10-15-2014, 01:41 PM   #47
jpeters1734
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padreman View Post
Nm
Lol, I know what you typed

Founder and League Caretaker of the Professional Baseball Circuit, www.probaseballcircuit.com

An Un-Official Guide to Minor League Management in OOTP 21

Ratings Scale Conversion Cross-Reference Cheat Sheet
jpeters1734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 01:43 PM   #48
Padreman
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeters1734 View Post
Lol, I know what you typed
What?;

Old 10-15-2014, 06:23 PM   #49
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by panelpatter View Post
If we must have chemistry and its inevitable fake brother clutch, please please please let me turn these fake concepts off. Would possibly be game breakingbfor me.

I would really rather see ai tweaks, stats fetures, etc take priority over this.
I couldn't have put it better myself.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 06:25 PM   #50
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

And if I wanted to play an RPG, I'd play an RPG.

This is a terrible idea.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
Old 10-15-2014, 06:29 PM   #51
ChiefWahoo
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
And if I wanted to play an RPG, I'd play an RPG.

This is a terrible idea.
To each is own, but Wolf, just because something does not appeal to you doesn't make it a "terrible idea". That is the epitome of narrow-mindedness.
ChiefWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 06:49 PM   #52
Ike348
All Star Starter

I'd rather have a more accurate AI, better stat calculations (ERs), more stats, better financials, than have this kind of stuff or even 3D graphics for that matter.

If this were already in the game, it's not like I would ask them to be taken out. I would rather have Markus and team spend time developing a better baseball simulation than "giving the guys life".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike348 View Post
Even in a parallel universe, the Astros don't make the playoffs.
Ike348 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 07:16 PM   #53
Antonin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike348 View Post
I'd rather have a more accurate AI, better stat calculations (ERs), more stats, better financials, than have this kind of stuff or even 3D graphics for that matter.

If this were already in the game, it's not like I would ask them to be taken out. I would rather have Markus and team spend time developing a better baseball simulation than "giving the guys life".
Same here.

When I want one of my players to have more life, I just use my imagination. I can create an infinitely more vivid, fun and interesting "life" for an OOTP baseball player than any team of OOTP developers and modders possibly could.
Cultural icons, gone but not forgotten: David Bowie, Lou Reed, William S. Burroughs, Tristan Tzara, Jack Kerouac, Allen Ginsburg, Jimi Hendrix, John Cage, Johnny Thunders (New York Dolls), Mike Hudson (The Pagans), Joey Ramone (Ramones), Stiv Bators (Dead Boys), Tomata Du Plenty (The Screamers), Joe Strummer (The Clash), Lester Bangs
Antonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 09:36 PM   #54
OakDragon
Hall Of Famer

As far as motivation and chemistry are concerned, take the San Francisco Giants this year. Now, I am as big a fan of them as you could want, but I even I have to admit that on paper, they are nothing more than a coffee stain. I never thought they would make it past the wild card game. They are all about motivation and chemistry. In OOTP, this team would never make it to the playoffs.
OakDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 09:52 PM   #55
OakDragon
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by panelpatter View Post
If we must have chemistry and its inevitable fake brother clutch, please please please let me turn these fake concepts off.
And since it's been brought up, I'm really, really sick of these "arguments". Emotions affect performance, both positive and negative. Some people also perform better under pressure and some crack. Just because you don't believe in them doesn't mean they're fake. Just because we haven't found statistical ways to quantify them, doesn't mean they don't exist. Studies have supported their existence for decades. If someone doesn't know that by now, they really need improve their familiarity with basic scientific knowledge.

Now, whether or not they should be modeled in OOTP, that's something else entirely, something not at all clear cut.

Last edited by OakDragon; 10-15-2014 at 10:29 PM.
OakDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 10:30 PM   #56
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefWahoo View Post
To each is own, but Wolf, just because something does not appeal to you doesn't make it a "terrible idea". That is the epitome of narrow-mindedness.
It's a terrible idea for a high-end baseball simulator. It's a great idea if you want an RPG, or if you're 12 years old.

Old 10-15-2014, 10:33 PM   #57
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OakDragon View Post
And since it's been brought up, I'm really, really sick of these "arguments". Emotions affect performance, both positive and negative. Some people also perform better under pressure and some crack. Just because you don't believe in them doesn't mean they're fake. Just because we haven't found statistical ways to quantify them, doesn't mean they don't exist. Studies have supported their existence for decades. If someone doesn't know that by now, they really need improve their familiarity with basic scientific knowledge.

Now, whether or not they should be modeled in OOTP, that's something else entirely, something not at all clear cut.
If you can't quantify it, then it has no business at all in a high-end simulation.

None.

Old 10-15-2014, 10:40 PM   #58
Padreman
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
It's a terrible idea for a high-end baseball simulator. It's a great idea if you want an RPG, or if you're 12 years old.
The story lines are already in the game, giving them more depth, meaning and adding more, fresh ones. Maybe interactive ones from time to time. Is not a bad idea

Old 10-15-2014, 10:44 PM   #59
ra7c7er
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by goalieump413 View Post
Great topic. I'm all for adding more realism to this game, even though it's already rich with detail.

A couple of thoughts...

If more personal life comes to the players and coaches in OOTP, it should complement the Personality Ratings, and not accidentally contradict them. For example, a player with low leadership is a follower, and should therefore get along with true leaders pretty well, as both are needed for better team chemistry. Too many leaders can cause chaos in the clubhouse, and should be reflected in player performance. Likewise, too many followers under-develop and perform poorly, getting lost in the game.

Personal life should influence ratings changes. Players with uncertain personal lives are more likely to perform randomly, prone to be streaky. Sometimes they have hot streaks because they need baseball as their stabilizing resource too. Their upbringing can have strange effects too. Broken homes often produce more effective athletes because, as kids, they learn to live with chaos and seek the mentoring of coaches to help them through their tough personal lives. Further, players that are married, have kids, and have extended family to take care of are often the universal glue that every organization needs to help keep wild athletes in check.

Coaches should be included in any revamped personal story system as well. It'd be cool to see an organization attempt to sign a lower level coach who says no because he'd have to move his family across country in the middle of his daughter's HS basketball season.
One thing that needs to be looked at if we turn personalities into meaning more is having personalities evolve. Players may start out as brash young hot shots and develop into mature veterans who've developed a leadership role on the team. Saying a guy is locked into one role for his entire career because of his locked personality would ruin any sense of realism that having more dynamic personalities would ad.
ra7c7er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 10:46 PM   #60
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padreman View Post
The story lines are already in the game, giving them more depth, meaning and adding more, fresh ones. Maybe interactive ones from time to time. Is not a bad idea
They are no storylines in my game and never will be any. My opinion of storylines is such that I have been asked never to repeat it, and I have honored that request and am honoring it now.