Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 15 > OOTP 15 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 15 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2014 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Closed Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 09:14 PM   #81
trident
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomaniac View Post
That would be fine if they weren't going to put ridiculous conditions on the release of the game. No way would they agree to a license with the game as it is (at the very least, all brawls, drug suspensions and negative storylines would have to go - because they "show the league in a bad light". I also wonder whether international leagues would survive, since I can't see MLB wanting to have "competition" in a licensed game, which would almost certainly impact fictional leagues too). MLB Licensing will end very badly imho. I will support Markus regardless, but from a personal point of view licensed games can go to hell. I'd rather have no real names in the game than an MLB license if it means losing any of the richness of the game world that OOTP allows.
You are totally right.
Old 05-19-2014, 09:14 PM   #82
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomaniac View Post
That would be fine if they weren't going to put ridiculous conditions on the release of the game. No way would they agree to a license with the game as it is (at the very least, all brawls, drug suspensions and negative storylines would have to go - because they "show the league in a bad light". I also wonder whether international leagues would survive, since I can't see MLB wanting to have "competition" in a licensed game, which would almost certainly impact fictional leagues too). MLB Licensing will end very badly imho. I will support Markus regardless, but from a personal point of view licensed games can go to hell. I'd rather have no real names in the game than an MLB license if it means losing any of the richness of the game world that OOTP allows.
Exactly.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
Old 05-19-2014, 09:15 PM   #83
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honorable_Pawn View Post
eewwwww...I had no idea about that. It must have been that over-zealous Apple employee that did all of that. Thanks for the link.
A bunch of baseball-related podcasts were removed from iTunes. Why? | HardballTalk

Craig Calcaterra:

"...the initial action by MLB/MLBAM is questionable as is. Use of team names may have offended MLB/MLBAM’s sensibilities, but as of now there are multiple team-named podcasts still on iTunes and many of the podcasts removed do not contain team names in the title. They may, however, note in the podcast description that they are “A [Team]-related podcast” or the like. What’s more, if it’s merely the name that offends, send a cease and desist letter about name usage, don’t have the product — which is nothing more than a couple of people talking about baseball, just like talk radio or this blog — totally removed from existence. Or don’t ask Apple to do it. They don’t control these podcasts, they merely host them. Which, by the way, makes MLBAM’s statement all the more dubious. If you want marks removed, ask the people who put them there to remove them. You contact iTunes If you want the podcast obliterated.
However this started and however it shakes out, count this as an other instance of the creation of ill will between MLB and the people who, by definition, are its biggest and most dedicated fans. Which, along with its silly, antiquated blackout rules for television broadcasts and web streaming, is the sort of thing it can’t seem to prevent itself from doing, apparently."
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
Old 05-19-2014, 09:42 PM   #84
STLKyle
Minors (Double A)

How do you re-import the league structure. I've looked around, and their was import rosters, etc., but no league structure. Thanks for your help.
Old 05-19-2014, 09:51 PM   #85
rudel.dietrich
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 1/0 (0)
I strongly disagree with wasting the money to negotiate for a MLB license.

In addition to a flat fee, they will also charge a % each game sold. And I can guarantee that a license will start at $60,000+

Also, you will also have to spend money on legal fees. Unless things have changed since I worked for the Nationals, MLB will not negotiate licenses unless it is though attorneys.

Last edited by rudel.dietrich; 05-20-2014 at 03:29 AM.
Old 05-19-2014, 10:33 PM   #86
Marinersfan51
All Star Reserve

Just stick an "a" on the end of every team name, it would be easy to edit out and would not be infringing on the copyright.
Old 05-19-2014, 10:51 PM   #87
jaysdailydose
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marinersfan51 View Post
Just stick an "a" on the end of every team name, it would be easy to edit out and would not be infringing on the copyright.
At the same time, I'm sure that while Marcus doesn't want to succumb to MLB's wishes on a lot of things -- he still wants to maintain a civil relationship with them, and that's just a fart in their general direction that wouldn't go over well.

A lot of things sound great in concept that will just piss corporate types off and make them become real thorns in sides.
Old 05-19-2014, 11:04 PM   #88
BaseballLife322
Minors (Double A)

Just from reading most of the responses in this thread, I really hope they don't get licensing, or If they do get it, I really hope the MLB doesn't make them change too much.. OOTP is a GREAT game, and it wouldn't be the same.. if MLB made OOTP change things.
Old 05-19-2014, 11:08 PM   #89
HolyCow98
Hall Of Famer

Eh...no big deal for me. I'd edit the league once and save as a quick start....never have to bother with it again.
Old 05-19-2014, 11:14 PM   #90
bly08
Minors (Double A)

Mods which recreate the real names will still be allowed right?
Old 05-19-2014, 11:21 PM   #91
HolyCow98
Hall Of Famer

They could contact the people hosting the mods I suppose if they want to actually pursue it....I don't think they would but you never know with them.(being MLB).
Old 05-19-2014, 11:38 PM   #92
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

The MLB team names and logos are all trademarked (if you look at the official club logos closely you'll see a ™ on them somewhere). Businesses have to zealously protect their trademarks or else risk losing them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLKyle View Post
Will this also affect the names of the minor league teams? I've screenshot all of them just in case I need to edit. But, that's a lot of teams!
Except in a relatively small number of cases, MLB clubs do not own their minor league affiliates—the minor league clubs are separate business entities. Not sure if the umbrella organization of the minors (NAPBL) or the individual minor league teams would have to issue a trademark notice in the case of the minor league team nicknames.
Old 05-20-2014, 12:00 AM   #93
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marinersfan51 View Post
Look-a!

It'sa the Italian League-a!

Old 05-20-2014, 12:02 AM   #94
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysdailydose View Post
A lot of things sound great in concept that will just piss corporate types off and make them become real thorns in sides.
Bah. Every corporate type I have ever met is ALREADY a thorn in everyone's side.

Old 05-20-2014, 12:09 AM   #95
r0nster
Hall Of Famer

OK who ratted Markus out on this ?????
so we can all go on a rant on the person the more I think about it I think I know why now. Its that site we linked up with. I think that's how or why they they learned of this game and perhaps how big of a game it is and they wanted their piece of the pie as it were ... I could stand to be corrected but I would gander a good bet that this is how it began this time around.
Old 05-20-2014, 12:21 AM   #96
Fyrestorm3
Hall Of Famer

Meh, I trust Markus on this one. If the licensing becomes too intrusive and limits the customization options of OOTP, I would fully expect him to back off the licensing. Nobody's gonna mess with his baby.

Either way, though, no point in speculating. It won't be until next year at least.
Old 05-20-2014, 12:26 AM   #97
Trebro
All Star Reserve

I would hope that the game design would trump having team names, if push came to shove. Because what makes this game is its customization. Without it, this would just be an expensive console game with lower graphics and only manager mode.

Unfortunately, we will all just have to trust, wait, and see. A lot of you know Markus relatively well over the years, I trust design will win, given how hard they all have worked on it. If not, God I hope I can keep 15 running on my next several pcs...
Old 05-20-2014, 01:30 AM   #98
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
Look-a!

It'sa the Italian League-a!
Pig latin may work. As in telling MLB to etgay ostlay!

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
Old 05-20-2014, 01:42 AM   #99
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RchW View Post
Pig latin may work. As in telling MLB to etgay ostlay!

Old 05-20-2014, 01:44 AM   #100
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Closed Thread