Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 15 > OOTP 15 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 15 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2014 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 05-01-2014, 07:02 PM   #41
Questdog
Hall Of Famer

Location: In a dark, damp cave where I'm training slugs to run the bases......
Quote:
Originally Posted by endgame View Post
Geez, I said please, but okay. It was YOUR idea.
I'm afraid I'm close to using my quota up....
Questdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 07:06 PM   #42
endgame
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Questdog View Post
I'm afraid I'm close to using my quota up....
No problem. I quota'd you in the PT.
Old 05-01-2014, 07:07 PM   #43
Questdog
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by endgame View Post
No problem. I quota'd you in the PT.
very clever....
Old 05-01-2014, 07:16 PM   #44
Syd Thrift
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HolyCow98 View Post
I just started doing that too. Someone in my online was talking about this...which made me think of guys like Oil Can Boyd, Three Fingers Brown etc.

In some cases it doesn't work though...Mr. October Jackson just doesn't do it for me....
Meh, even for those guys I kind of prefer Dennis "Oil Can" Boyd and Mordecai "Three Finger" Brown. I find myself making up my own appellations of the nicknames anyway. For instance there's a guy in my league the computer named I think Bill Boyd and nicknamed "Bloody"; he's "Bloody Bill" to me, or "Bloody Bill Boyd", not necessarily Bill "Bloody" Boyd as the game shows.

By the way, a neat thing that Title Bout has done for several years is that if a player's name is included in their nickname, their player card will take this into account. For instance, Sugar Ray Leonard looks like "Sugar Ray Leonard" on his screens, not "Ray 'Sugar' Leonard" or "Ray 'Sugar Ray' Leonard". I'd kind of like to see that incorporated into OOTP at some point. Some way of making the nicknames smarter as well would be nice... like only awarding the name "Lefty" to left-handed pitchers, for example, or "Mister October" to guys who actually played well (or even played!) in the postseason.

I will say that often when I see that the game has decided that a player is well known enough to get a nickname, I'll try to change it into something more appropriate for the time period. This is probably a rather specific issue (although if we could get some kind of conditionals with those nicks!!!!....) but seeing some 40 year old guy in 1910 named "Cyberhawk" stikes me as funny.
The Great American Baseball Thrift Book - Like reading the Sporting News from back in the day, only with fake players. REAL LIFE DRAMA THOUGH maybe not
Syd Thrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 07:48 PM   #45
GMLoophole
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthian23 View Post
Wolf's "Asian player nicknamed Silent Bill" example made me laugh out loud.
If you like "Silent Bill", you'll like Taiwanese speedster Chen-Lu "The Rabbi of Swat" Cheng even better
GMLoophole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 08:10 PM   #46
Bagpipes5
Major Leagues

It would be great if this was added as a customization option as well as the option to disable jersey #'s and logos.
Bagpipes5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 08:21 PM   #47
HolyCow98
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syd Thrift View Post
Meh, even for those guys I kind of prefer Dennis "Oil Can" Boyd and Mordecai "Three Finger" Brown. I find myself making up my own appellations of the nicknames anyway. For instance there's a guy in my league the computer named I think Bill Boyd and nicknamed "Bloody"; he's "Bloody Bill" to me, or "Bloody Bill Boyd", not necessarily Bill "Bloody" Boyd as the game shows.
I think for me the reason I like Oil Can Boyd etc better goes all the way back to Earl Weaver Baseball...not sure if it was default or I changed it...but the announcer guy would say..."Now pitching Oil Can Boyd"...(picture a early 80's computerize voice with a Forrest Gump accent)...I was in like 5th grade (41 now) when that came out...and got use to it. Same with Three Fingers Brown...

If I wasn't exposed to that at that age....I probably would have a different feeling on those cases.

Like the idea of smarter automated process for nicknames...but not sure how effective it could be.
HolyCow98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 09:18 PM   #48
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Send me your file....
Run the free agent test. Tell me if they have nicknames or not.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 09:20 PM   #49
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLoophole View Post
If you like "Silent Bill", you'll like Taiwanese speedster Chen-Lu "The Rabbi of Swat" Cheng even better
And there's your argument, people. With the new foreign leagues, we need a way to turn nicknames off.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
Old 05-01-2014, 09:39 PM   #50
Cras
Hall Of Famer

I hate nicknames. I absolutely hate them, always have, always blew out that stupid file after downloading a new version of the game.

I hate nicknames and would rejoice at their total banishment from this game. I cannot stand them. Screw adding an option, remove them completely and never let them return again I say!
2000, 2005, 2008 American League Central Division Champions
1983, 1993 American League West Division Champions

OOTP | Orbiter | SSMS | FSX | LoL | MLP:FIM!
Cras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 09:58 PM   #51
munstermash
Minors (Triple A)

Agree, turn them off.
munstermash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 10:07 PM   #52
Questdog
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
Run the free agent test. Tell me if they have nicknames or not.
??...what is THE free agent test?.....
Old 05-01-2014, 10:18 PM   #53
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
??...what is THE free agent test?.....
I posted it uptopic. Please generate, say, 100 free agents and see of any of them have nicknames.

Let me know if they do or not and that will determine my next move.

Old 05-01-2014, 10:21 PM   #54
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cras View Post
I hate nicknames. I absolutely hate them, always have, always blew out that stupid file after downloading a new version of the game.

I hate nicknames and would rejoice at their total banishment from this game. I cannot stand them. Screw adding an option, remove them completely and never let them return again I say!
Tell us how you REALLY feel about them!

Seriously, thank you for your support.

Old 05-01-2014, 10:24 PM   #55
truebatman
Minors (Double A)

Personally I like the nicknames, well mainly I just like making my own nicknames for certain players... but with that said, I do support an option to turn it off or on so each person has their choice
truebatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 10:42 PM   #56
Questdog
Hall Of Famer

Created a league with nicknames in place, then deleted all names in nicknames.txt and re-imported the names & ethnicities database.

Then I created 1000 free agents.

First pic is the list of free agents prior to creating the 1000 players.
Second pic is after. Note the number of players in the list in the upper right.
As you can see, only the players who originally had nicknames have one.

So please hush up the whining now and apologize for all your ranting without having knowledge.

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 381
Size:  416.1 KB

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 407
Size:  421.5 KB

Last edited by Questdog; 05-01-2014 at 10:44 PM.
Old 05-01-2014, 10:50 PM   #57
craftdr
Minors (Triple A)

I like the nicknames but see the other side of the request and think an option to turn them off would be beneficial.

Besides, without nicknames how would I be able to immortalize the left fielder making 14 million per year who came to the plate in the Championship Series with the bases loaded as Joe "D#$# Head" Jones? Yes, I lost that series.
craftdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 10:55 PM   #58
Questdog
Hall Of Famer

Anyone who wants to turn off nicknames can ALREADY do it without any options added to the game.

gee-whizzer......
Old 05-01-2014, 11:23 PM   #59
craftdr
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Anyone who wants to turn off nicknames can ALREADY do it without any options added to the game.

gee-whizzer......
Yep, just wanted to make sure it was known that some of us do like them and don't want them gone but yet still not discounting others preferences. That and I hadn't seen your post where you proved you can turn them off before posting.

Thanks for running that test.
craftdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 11:54 PM   #60
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Created a league with nicknames in place, then deleted all names in nicknames.txt and re-imported the names & ethnicities database.

Then I created 1000 free agents.

First pic is the list of free agents prior to creating the 1000 players.
Second pic is after. Note the number of players in the list in the upper right.
As you can see, only the players who originally had nicknames have one.

So please hush up the whining now and apologize for all your ranting without having knowledge.

Attachment 338979

Attachment 338980
I get different results. Did you really need to be this personally offensive when just discussing simple things, or do you just enjoy putting other people down unnecessarily? In either case, I'm done with you.