Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 15 > OOTP 15 - General Discussions

OOTP 15 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2014 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 05-01-2014, 01:21 PM   #1
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Markus, please let us turn nicknames off

Please give us a switch to turn nicknames off. I hate them, and others do too, and there's no way to get them out of an MLB game. You can empty the nicknames file, export all player names and delete all nicknames and reimport, and then import a new name file and it does no good because the flipping stupid and inappropriate nicknames just KEEP COMING BACK. I don't need an Asian player nicknamed "Silent Bill" or twelve guys in my draft class all nicknamed "Stone."

Please.

Please give us an option to turn nicknames off.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 01:32 PM   #2
Rich Tiger Fan
Major Leagues

This never used to bother me before but it does more and more as the years go by...If not able to completely turn them off how about a frequency setting, or both even. My biggest gripe is that there are way to many players with nick names.
Old 05-01-2014, 01:33 PM   #3
CHOWDERHEAD
Hall Of Famer

I like having the nicknames in there - for me it adds value. With that said, I agree that having this as an option (provided that it does not involve a complete rewrite of the code) would be a worthy addition to the game.
Old 05-01-2014, 01:34 PM   #4
SirMichaelJordan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
Please give us a switch to turn nicknames off. I hate them, and others do too, and there's no way to get them out of an MLB game. You can empty the nicknames file, export all player names and delete all nicknames and reimport, and then import a new name file and it does no good because the flipping stupid and inappropriate nicknames just KEEP COMING BACK. I don't need an Asian player nicknamed "Silent Bill" or twelve guys in my draft class all nicknamed "Stone."

Please.

Please give us an option to turn nicknames off.

CoSigned.

Although thanks for adding a basic editor menu where I can quickly delete the names.

Before it was annoying because I didn't want to open up the editor and mistakenly see a player's real ratings when deleting the nicknames.
SirMichaelJordan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 01:46 PM   #5
Murcer
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
You can empty the nicknames file
Out of curiosity, what happens when you empty the file? Where the heck do the nicknames come from if you do this?

I wonder what would happen if you deleted them all and replaced them with a few rows that had spaces?
Murcer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 02:53 PM   #6
Elektranaut
Major Leagues

I'm not sure but I think Questdog explained how to get rid of the nicknames
Elektranaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 03:00 PM   #7
chezboots
Minors (Double A)

YES PLEASE!!!!! I hate nicknames soooooo Much!
chezboots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 03:03 PM   #8
MUFC1878
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murcer View Post
Out of curiosity, what happens when you empty the file? Where the heck do the nicknames come from if you do this?
An empty nickname file only works for a new fictional game or new players. For the ML quickstart, you'll see the already used nicknames re-appear.

What would be ideal is an option to turn them off, or at least another quickstart without them. Playing mostly with Japanese or Korean teams, they can get annoying.
MUFC1878 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 05:55 PM   #9
Carlton
Hall Of Famer

Gentlemen

This is such an easy fix that I hope Markus doesn't try to recode because some people do notlike them

Go into your database folder open the nickname text file, select all, delete and save
No more nicknames.

Do that BEFORE you create a league

"I am at that stage of my life where I keep myself out of arguments. I am 100% self sufficient spiritually, emotionally & financially. Even if you say 1+1=5, you are ABSOLUTELY CORRECT. Enjoy!"
Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 06:01 PM   #10
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlton View Post
Gentlemen

This is such an easy fix that I hope Markus doesn't try to recode because some people do notlike them

Go into your database folder open the nickname text file, select all, delete and save
No more nicknames.

But it doesn't help our existing leagues or Quickstarts prepared by others.

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 06:05 PM   #11
SirMichaelJordan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Gentlemen

No more nicknames.

This doesn't work for quick starts.

Or in my case if I want real life rosters than I have to deal with nicknames.

Last edited by SirMichaelJordan; 05-01-2014 at 06:07 PM.
Old 05-01-2014, 06:05 PM   #12
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by RchW View Post
But it doesn't help our existing leagues or Quickstarts prepared by others.
You should be able to export those rosters, change the file type to .csv, load in excel/oo, then delete all the nicknames from the nicknames column. If you've also emptied the nicknames text file, that should keep then from coming back.
Lukas Berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 06:06 PM   #13
Ruthian23
All Star Reserve

Some of the current player nicknames used to drive me a bit nuts. I don't think it was the case this year, but they'd always have Derek Jeter with the permanent nickname "Mr. November," which he was called exactly once in his life as far as I can tell. They don't drive me as nuts as some others here, but I'd probably turn them off if it was an option.
Ruthian23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 06:10 PM   #14
SirMichaelJordan
Hall Of Famer

Things could look really weird in Japan with some of these nicknames lmao.
Old 05-01-2014, 06:18 PM   #15
Ruthian23
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirMichaelJordan View Post
Things could look really weird in Japan with some of these nicknames lmao.
Wolf's "Asian player nicknamed Silent Bill" example made me laugh out loud.
Ruthian23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 06:20 PM   #16
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Gentlemen

No more nicknames.

Carlton, THIS DOES NOT WORK with an MLB game.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
Old 05-01-2014, 06:21 PM   #17
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukasberger View Post
You should be able to export those rosters, change the file type to .csv, load in excel/oo, then delete all the nicknames from the nicknames column. If you've also emptied the nicknames text file, that should keep then from coming back.
It DOES NOT WORK with an MLB game

Old 05-01-2014, 06:23 PM   #18
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Understand why some of us want an off switch now? With the new foreign leagues available this year for MLB setups being unable to turn off nicknames is really, really annoying.

Old 05-01-2014, 06:24 PM   #19
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Understand why some of us want an off switch now? With the new foreign leagues this year being unable to turn off nicknames is really, really annoying.
I've understood for a while. We're in agreement. I hate the stupid nicknames myself.
Lukas Berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 06:25 PM   #20
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukasberger View Post
I've understood for a while. We're in agreement. I hate the stupid nicknames myself.
Then please help us lobby Marcus to give us an off switch.