Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 15 > OOTP 15 - General Discussions

OOTP 15 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2014 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 11-27-2014, 01:44 PM   #81
Honorable_Pawn
Hall Of Famer

You can also uncheck enable Steam overlay in-game.

All PBA games broadcast live on Steam.
Honorable_Pawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 01:46 PM   #82
enuttage
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honorable_Pawn View Post
I think the problem may be that you accidentally changed this setting to "shift" instead of "shift+tab"

Attachment 370614
That is incorrect. My setting is SHIFT+TAB on both my machines.

Once again, this is an issue ONLY with OOTP, not my 500+ other games.

"When you meet someone better than yourself, turn your thoughts to becoming his equal. When you meet someone not as good as you are, look within and examine your own self."
enuttage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 01:48 PM   #83
Honorable_Pawn
Hall Of Famer

I have almost 800 hours logged on OOTP 14 and I have never had this problem. Not once.

Old 11-27-2014, 01:48 PM   #84
enuttage
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
You can also uncheck enable Steam overlay in-game.
I'll look into that as a solution. Thank you.

I'll go look, but is that a global setting, or game specific? I don't want to change a global setting to account for a bug for OOTP alone.

"When you meet someone better than yourself, turn your thoughts to becoming his equal. When you meet someone not as good as you are, look within and examine your own self."
Old 11-27-2014, 01:49 PM   #85
enuttage
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I have almost 800 hours logged on OOTP 14 and I have never had this problem. Not once.
I'm glad for you, but this does not negate the problem of myself and others.

Old 11-27-2014, 01:50 PM   #86
Honorable_Pawn
Hall Of Famer

Last edited by Honorable_Pawn; 11-27-2014 at 01:52 PM.
Old 11-27-2014, 01:52 PM   #87
Honorable_Pawn
Hall Of Famer

hmmm..I just read the ootp discussion. I see that there is at least one other person with the same problem as you.

Forgive my ignorance of the situation.

I have not had the problem but I do see that you and at least one other person has. I apologize for being hasty.

Old 11-27-2014, 01:52 PM   #88
enuttage
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'm sorry that you are having this problem. Hopefully you can figure out what setting that you have wrong. I just hope that people who may be considering purchasing this game via Steam will not be influenced by your difficulties.
edit: nm. I see your subsequent post. As much as I'd like to think you'd give me some benefit of the doubt, at least I don't feel like my head is hitting a brick wall anymore.

FWIW, there are three of us with the problem in that thread.

I mean, I'm sure we're a minority, but it's not fun to be ignored, and makes the game nearly unplayable if you want to alter anything via typing.

Last edited by enuttage; 11-27-2014 at 01:57 PM.
Old 11-27-2014, 01:58 PM   #89
Honorable_Pawn
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by enuttage View Post
I'll look into that as a solution. Thank you.

I'll go look, but is that a global setting, or game specific? I don't want to change a global setting to account for a bug for OOTP alone.
It's global but you can only play one game at a time, right?

Old 11-27-2014, 02:00 PM   #90
enuttage
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
It's global but you can only play one game at a time, right?
Yes. Call me stubborn, but I don't find it acceptable that one developer's oversight has me changing global settings and having to remember to flip them back and forth each time I play.

Either way, I will still try it and appreciate the insight. If it fixes the typing problem, it's worth it as a workaround.

Last edited by enuttage; 11-27-2014 at 02:01 PM.
Old 11-27-2014, 02:05 PM   #91
Honorable_Pawn
Hall Of Famer

Maintain your fight so the problem can be fixed. Markus and Co. are very receptive to constructive criticism and tend to fix these kind of things if they can replicate it.

Old 11-27-2014, 02:38 PM   #92
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Again, duplicated across multiple machines.
Ah, my apologies. I missed that. Still, I think my advice is sound but not for you. Let me take a closer look at that situation you are describing. I am concerned because, although I don't play OOTPB on Steam, I do use Steam for my other gaming love-of-my-life, Civ 5 (and Civ Beyond Earth , which I just dropped $50 for).

- Bru

Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 05:08 AM   #93
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Quote:
Yes. Call me stubborn, but I don't find it acceptable that one developer's oversight has me changing global settings and having to remember to flip them back and forth each time I play.

Either way, I will still try it and appreciate the insight. If it fixes the typing problem, it's worth it as a workaround.
This is basically an OpenGL issue on some systems. We are aware of it, but have not found a solution for it yet, it is a problem buried deep in our platform code base.
Markus Heinsohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 11:06 AM   #94
enuttage
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Heinsohn View Post
This is basically an OpenGL issue on some systems. We are aware of it, but have not found a solution for it yet, it is a problem buried deep in our platform code base.
Thanks for the personal response, Markus. As always, it is appreciated.

So...is that a note to let me know that you've concluded the matter internally, or that you're still looking for it?

For the first time ever with OOTP I am disappointed in the *playability* of the game, instead of some feature I'm lamenting not making the cut. Huge difference as a consumer, when I really can't play a game I've paid for. That's not a fun place to be.

On a more macro scale, I wonder if it was worth it for y'all to even release the game on Steam. Part of the reason I bought it there was to help push sales there, raise awareness with my non-playing friends (who can see I play it - would've been a LOT), and write a review to further raise awareness.

But if it doesn't help y'all, and it breaks the product, man...I dunno.

I'm frustrated.

Old 11-29-2014, 06:56 PM   #95
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'm frustrated.
FWIW, and I know it's not much, my compliments on sticking to your argument and ultimately proving your point. You may not get the quick fix that you wanted but you did bring up an issue which, when it does get addressed and eliminated, will improve this game. Thanks.

- Bru

Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 08:28 PM   #96
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
See if this might help:

Rirath.com - how-to-fix-opengl-issues-in-windows-8-with-legacy-amdati-radeon-cards--4000-hd-and-older: how to fix opengl issues in windows 8 with legacy amdati radeon cards 4000 hd and older
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 09:35 PM   #97
ra7c7er
All Star Starter

I'm still having the same locking up/crashing problem that others are having on steam. It's made the game unplayable for me (hence why I haven't posted about dynasty updates).

Since it's a known problem the right thing for Markus and OOTP developments to do would be to give those (few or many their are probably 2 dozen or more with the problem on the steam forums at least) with the problems a on steam copy of the game. Plus not to bash them (OOTP) because I really do like the game a ton. But how can they not fix this their are 5,000+ games on steam that don't have this problem. If it's a known problem it needs to be reported on the bug forum and on the game page so potential buyers can beware of it before purchase. Had I known I wouldn't have bought it on steam. Still would have bought it but not on steam.

Last edited by ra7c7er; 11-29-2014 at 10:19 PM.
ra7c7er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 10:57 PM   #98
enuttage
Hall Of Famer

Wolf, thank you.

Since my primary box is Windows 7 (actually my laptop is as well) and running a late-issue NVidia card, I'm thinking this ain't gonna do it.

But my laptop is running an AMD card. I may look into if it applies to W7 as well.

Obviously, there is something amiss in the OOTP code, though.

It appears to be reading SHIFT as SHIFT+TAB. I *guess*. Beats me.

If I have time this weekend, I'm going to try to Honorable Pawn's tip on toggling off the Steam interface entirely and seeing if it solves the problem.

If it does, it at least enables us to be able to play the game. It's not perfect, but it's an acceptable workaround, IMO, until Markus & Crew address the issue, should they choose to.

Old 11-30-2014, 12:13 AM   #99
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
You might be able to fix the drivers to make it work.

Obviously something distinguishes the machines that have this problem from the machines that don't. Logically that's going to be CPU, GPU, or drivers.

I would start googling Windows 7 OpenGL problems and try every solution out there until one worked.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 11:27 AM   #100
enuttage
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
You might be able to fix the drivers to make it work.

Obviously something distinguishes the machines that have this problem from the machines that don't. Logically that's going to be CPU, GPU, or drivers.

I would start googling Windows 7 OpenGL problems and try every solution out there until one worked.
Wolf, I do appreciate the help, but it's beginning to feel a little bit like you think there's no problem on OOTP's end. My laptop is admittedly neglected when it comes to drivers, etc., but my desktop is up-to-date and updated weekly.

What distinguishes my machines is something in OOTP's code that is broken. Again, there are 558 other programs in my account that have *zero* issues with this.

I work in performance automotive. If I sell someone a car with ECU problems, and they're unhappy, I can't imagine a situation where I ask them to crack open the ECU and fix it themselves, because, "all the other cars I sold worked fine. There must be something wrong with yours because of something YOU did."

Or if I'm instructing someone on the track, and they don't understand something, I don't and can't (often for safety reasons) tell them to "figure it out yourself." It's my job to find a way to fix the problem. Communicate better. Say I'm sorry and fix whatever the problems are on my end.

It's a pretty big middle finger to the client to assume their idiocy when the product itself has admitted issues.

I think I might *finally* have time to sit down and play OOTP today, but I have no intention of spending hours troubleshooting a problem that I didn't cause for a product I paid for and can't use (and support is quasi-silent about addressing).

I have little time as it is. I'm not going to spend hours (possibly fruitlessly) trying to find a workaround. That's a surefire way to piss me off enough to start writing considerably more public reviews about this situation, and possibly go away permanently.

TL/DR: Wolf, I'm sure your intentions are well-founded, but you're not helping Markus & Co.