Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 15 > OOTP 15 - General Discussions

OOTP 15 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2014 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 05-22-2014, 05:27 PM   #1
hlywd61
Minors (Single A)

The Draft

Was the draft process/changes that were made last year with the very few "prospect of prospects" kept the same? Or did they change that back?
hlywd61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 09:37 PM   #2
olivertheorem
All Star Starter

If you mean that there are generally very few 4 and 5-star prospects in the draft and most show as half or 1-star, then yes that's the same.
olivertheorem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 04:23 AM   #3
Rain King
Hall Of Famer

Although there is a new feature this year which allows you to set what league you want the ratings of the players to be relative to. As you move through the draft you can change this to AAA and maybe AA later to get a feel for the differences in the plethora of 1/2 and 1 star guys as compared to the ML level (i.e. some of the 1-star guys will become 3-star guys when comparing them to AA players).
Rain King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 07:25 PM   #4
hlywd61
Minors (Single A)

I know this was highly debated last year but booooooo, I don't like it...oh well
hlywd61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 07:40 PM   #5
Fyrestorm3
Hall Of Famer

I didn't like it at first, either, but then I thought about it from a different perspective. Yeah, it makes the later rounds a little boring, but imagine if you had the top pick in the draft. Would you want to look at the board and see 20 different 4- or 5-star players, knowing that 75% of them would have their potential drop drastically in the matter of a year? Or would you rather see 8 of those guys, and have a 50% chance or better at drafting an impact player? I know that baseball's not like most other sports, and there aren't usually those sexy, can't-miss prospects atop the draft board, but it kind of ruins the point of having a high pick if most of the good-looking options are going to wind up being busts.

That's just how I've chosen to look at it.

Last edited by Fyrestorm3; 05-23-2014 at 07:41 PM.
Fyrestorm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 09:56 PM   #6
Rockfan616
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrestorm3 View Post
I didn't like it at first, either, but then I thought about it from a different perspective. Yeah, it makes the later rounds a little boring, but imagine if you had the top pick in the draft. Would you want to look at the board and see 20 different 4- or 5-star players, knowing that 75% of them would have their potential drop drastically in the matter of a year? Or would you rather see 8 of those guys, and have a 50% chance or better at drafting an impact player? I know that baseball's not like most other sports, and there aren't usually those sexy, can't-miss prospects atop the draft board, but it kind of ruins the point of having a high pick if most of the good-looking options are going to wind up being busts.

That's just how I've chosen to look at it.
That's a good way to look at it, since 95% of players drafted don't make it to the big leagues anyway and some that do are only there for a quick cup of coffee and that's all. I like how you think Fyrestorm!!
Rockfan616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 09:06 PM   #7
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain King View Post
Although there is a new feature this year which allows you to set what league you want the ratings of the players to be relative to. As you move through the draft you can change this to AAA and maybe AA later to get a feel for the differences in the plethora of 1/2 and 1 star guys as compared to the ML level (i.e. some of the 1-star guys will become 3-star guys when comparing them to AA players).
Speaking of relative ratings and the draft, I have some horrible MLB rating draftees that when you change to say, AA.. they become a potential of 80. Is this a "cheat" or does that really not mean anything?

If he's a top HS player at the AA level, I would think he would be someone I would want to sign. Am I reading into the new relative system too much?
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 09:26 PM   #8
olivertheorem
All Star Starter

Sounds like a viable alternative to me.
olivertheorem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 04:01 AM   #9
Rain King
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
Speaking of relative ratings and the draft, I have some horrible MLB rating draftees that when you change to say, AA.. they become a potential of 80. Is this a "cheat" or does that really not mean anything?

If he's a top HS player at the AA level, I would think he would be someone I would want to sign. Am I reading into the new relative system too much?
When comparing ratings relative to your AA league, it is using that leagues actual ratings to compare to both your players actual and potential ratings. So, what an 80 potential rating relative to AA says is that your player has the potential to be an awesome AA player...not necessarily an awesome MLB player. So, I wouldn't call it a cheat...it is just a way to differentiate the guys with low MLB potential.

Last edited by Rain King; 05-29-2014 at 04:02 AM.
Rain King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 10:23 AM   #10
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
When comparing ratings relative to your AA league, it is using that leagues actual ratings to compare to both your players actual and potential ratings. So, what an 80 potential rating relative to AA says is that your player has the potential to be an awesome AA player...not necessarily an awesome MLB player. So, I wouldn't call it a cheat...it is just a way to differentiate the guys with low MLB potential.
Ok, makes sense.. I'm just trying to understand the relationship to the ML.

For my first OOTP 15 draft, I'm going to attempt to sign those who have good ratings relative to the league they are going into (rookie league for most) to see what happens.

I guess they could be a career minor leaguer like so many of them are...
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 10:37 AM   #11
BIG17EASY
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
And, in theory at least, a guy with an 80 potential relative to AA would have a better chance to develop into an MLB-caliber player than a guy with, say, 40 potential relative to AA. Both might be one-star or half-star potential in MLB, but by looking at ratings relative to AA (or whatever level you want) helps us start to differentiate between all those players once we get past the first few rounds.
BIG17EASY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 11:33 AM   #12
SirMichaelJordan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
Ok, makes sense.. I'm just trying to understand the relationship to the ML.

For my first OOTP 15 draft, I'm going to attempt to sign those who have good ratings relative to the league they are going into (rookie league for most) to see what happens.

I guess they could be a career minor leaguer like so many of them are...
They could be a career minor leaguer but also could also end up being an all star depending on where you set your TCR setting at.
SirMichaelJordan is offline   Reply With Quote