Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 19 - General Discussions Everything about the 2018 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 02-18-2019, 04:34 PM   #1
panda234
Minors (Triple A)

Injury Proneness

I traded for the top prospect pitcher, giving up a 5 star AAA catcher and other goodies.The pitcher had 3 months left on an injury but no biggie as he would be back before MiL started up. However, when he came of the DA I noticed his Injury Proneness was "Fragile".

Can the Fragile tag come after the player has returned from an injury? I could swear it wasn't there before. But the big question is how big a deal is it? I'm almost through a AAA season with him and no problems but is it a kiss of death or does it vary widely from player to player?
panda234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 06:31 PM   #2
Palaaemon
Minors (Triple A)

It can wildly vary. I have seen fragile players (yes even pitchers) go years with no serious injuries. I have also seen the other extreme where every year they go out with a season ender (which further reduces their injury rating). Both of those are outliers. No telling where your prospect lies on the graph.
Old 02-19-2019, 06:39 PM   #3
Syd Thrift
Hall Of Famer

Injury proneness is increased when a player gets hurt to a given part of their body (if they suffer a leg injury, their future proneness goes up for leg injuries, etc.). A minor injury will barely push the needle but yeah, major ones can push a player over from Normal to Fragile. There's no real way to "turn back the clock" on that either. As much as this may suck, it does model real life; one of the reasons why older players aren't as effective is that they're constantly suffering from niggling little injuries, and that just gets worse the older you get.
The Great American Baseball Thrift Book - Like reading the Sporting News from back in the day, only with fake players. REAL LIFE DRAMA THOUGH maybe not
Syd Thrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 06:41 PM   #4
BirdWatcher
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by panda234 View Post

Can the Fragile tag come after the player has returned from an injury? I could swear it wasn't there before. But the big question is how big a deal is it? I'm almost through a AAA season with him and no problems but is it a kiss of death or does it vary widely from player to player?
In my experience the answer to your first question is yes, absolutely. A player who previously was listed as normal but then suffers a major injury can indeed come back as now fragile. And from what I've seen, far more likely with pitchers.
Is it a big deal? Again, in my experience, when we are talking about pitchers, yeah, it's a pretty big deal. As Palaaemon said, you could get lucky for awhile. But the chances are good you won't and if you do that good luck will likely not last long. (Now a fragile position player is more likely to retain some value for longer.) The worst part is that even if you are relatively lucky and the fragile pitcher only suffers a series of rather minor injuries, eventually their ratings will almost surely take a hit. They might be able to put together some kind of insignificant or modest big league career, but they won't likely reach their previous potential.
BirdWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 06:49 PM   #5
panda234
Minors (Triple A)

I couldn't bear the thought of cringing every time he pitched while I waited for the season ending injury so I traded him. I had managed to build up my pitching in the meantime so traded him for a LF and 3B in AA who are rated to be "elite" and 5 star so kinda lucked in. An above average RF and 2nd and 3rd round draft choices thrown in too made it a no brainer.
panda234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 06:51 PM   #6
Syd Thrift
Hall Of Famer

TBH a guy in, say, his early to mid 30s with a Fragile injury proneness is a guy I like to call "a pitcher". Pitchers get hurt so much, I don't think you can expect them to *not* be prone by a certain age.
The Great American Baseball Thrift Book - Like reading the Sporting News from back in the day, only with fake players. REAL LIFE DRAMA THOUGH maybe not
Syd Thrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 07:21 PM   #7
Palaaemon
Minors (Triple A)

In answer to your question about the fragile title appearing out of seemingly nowhere, it did. LoL. The injury process is dynamic. I believe it goes like this. Not going too detailed.

1. The injury happens and is assigned (type and number). So say arm and value 21.
2. Possibly a part of that value is added to, or all of the new arm injury value (along with the others) overwrites the Injury Proneness (IP) value.
3. The IP value is recalculated.
4. It's checked to see if the IP value level exceeds the next threshold for the next injury title. If not nothing happens. If it does than change title.

I am not positive about how exactly they do it, but I am fairly confident in #4.

Each injury type (arm, leg, back) has a rating between 1-200 with 200 being the worst. There is also IP rating which encompasses all of the types and also has the same 1-200 range.

So the Injury Proneness rating is where the titles come from that you see.
Iron Man - around a 1 rating
Durable -
Normal -
Fragile -
Wrecked -

I used to have the level numbers memorized but I seem to have misplaced those neurons. Hope this all helps you understand this better.

Last edited by Palaaemon; 02-19-2019 at 07:24 PM. Reason: Spelling
Palaaemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 09:12 PM   #8
discodude5
Major Leagues

I know I have started to pay much more attention to it in recent years but does the ai put much weight on injury proneness into their evaluations of players for the draft, trades etc?
discodude5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 12:40 AM   #9
Palaaemon
Minors (Triple A)

I have never tested it but just from what I have observed (I have considered that question and watched) I do not believe there is any weight to injuries. If there is it must be minute and only included with say wrecked players most likely.
Old 02-23-2019, 08:06 AM   #10
jimmysthebestcop
Banned

Infractions: 0/2 (5)
I'm sure you will be fine for yours until that 1 year when you enter the playoffs and he tears his ligament.
jimmysthebestcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 12:35 AM   #11
Palaaemon
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmysthebestcop View Post
I'm sure you will be fine for yours until that 1 year when you enter the playoffs and he tears his ligament.
You mean of course, EVERY year.
Old 02-25-2019, 09:08 PM   #12
Findest2001
All Star Reserve

To continue this line of questioning...I can't seem to find this anywhere.

Is a high number or a low number better for not taking injuries. Like if a guy spends more time on the dl than off it would he be rated a 190 or 200/200?
And an iron-man be rated a 1 or 2/200?
Findest2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 12:59 AM   #13
Palaaemon
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Findest2001 View Post
To continue this line of questioning...I can't seem to find this anywhere.

Is a high number or a low number better for not taking injuries. Like if a guy spends more time on the dl than off it would he be rated a 190 or 200/200?
And an iron-man be rated a 1 or 2/200?
The lower the better. Each time they get hurt their IP continues to rise. As far as I can remember (if anyone absolutely know for sure please pipe in) iron man is indeed a 1or 2. Each player comes into the game either with a set rating (in regards to real players), or a semi random rating (in regard to fantasy players). What I mean by semi random is that you could see all injury ratings for new created players except "wrecked" to start with I believe.

Hope this answers your questions.