Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: Historical Simulations
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2006, 04:59 PM   #21
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimanbj View Post
One happens in early April (not consistently), the next is in June, when the rookie leagues start up (every season) and the last is in late August.
Well, to nitpick about the rookie leagues, there were no short season leagues at all until the mid-1960s. Prior to that, all minor leagues played season at least 100 games long, and most were 120 games long or more.
Le Grande Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 07:15 AM   #22
chimanbj
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Grande Orange View Post
Well, to nitpick about the rookie leagues, there were no short season leagues at all until the mid-1960s. Prior to that, all minor leagues played season at least 100 games long, and most were 120 games long or more.
Well, it's not absolutely perfect
Old 10-20-2006, 03:57 PM   #23
Curtis
Hall Of Famer

If not perfect, when is good enough… good enough?
Curtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 11:02 PM   #24
chimanbj
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis Cook View Post
If not perfect, when is good enough… good enough?
This current version is good enough for now. Yes, there are glaring problems, but you know what? It's got GREAT potential. If the new version does nothing but fix the AI roster issues, then I'd be completely satisfied.

This game will never be a complete replica of Major League Baseball. Nor should it be. It's a game that serves historical recreations and future what-if simulations.
Old 10-29-2006, 05:44 PM   #25
ctorg
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimanbj View Post
This current version is good enough for now. Yes, there are glaring problems, but you know what? It's got GREAT potential. If the new version does nothing but fix the AI roster issues, then I'd be completely satisfied.

This game will never be a complete replica of Major League Baseball. Nor should it be. It's a game that serves historical recreations and future what-if simulations.
I think the number one thing the game needs to address is the fact that you are locked into your starting settings. Over the 100+ years of baseball history, there have been nations that have risen and fallen, but you're stuck with the same nations file. You have to do a workaround to change the names file. You can't add new leagues or close leagues down over time. The game is far to static. Great potential, but if that isn't fixed in the new version, I sure won't be happy.

"When the trees blow back and forth, that's what makes the wind." - Steven Wright

Fjord emena pancreas thorax fornicate marmalade morpheme proteolysis smaxa cabana offal srue vitriol grope hallelujah lentils
ctorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 02:38 PM   #26
Tekneek
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctorg View Post
I think the number one thing the game needs to address is the fact that you are locked into your starting settings.
That is definitely a major weakness. It has taken me a whole lot of trial and error to figure out just how I really want things, often discovering changes I just have to make after having simmed out multiple decades.
Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 09:02 AM   #27
plannine
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekneek View Post
That is definitely a major weakness. It has taken me a whole lot of trial and error to figure out just how I really want things, often discovering changes I just have to make after having simmed out multiple decades.

It seems like i've started over more times then seasons played........

Starting with 1870, all fictional players with 12 teams and one level of minors, and doing historical imports (A/G database) from then on, i still run out of players before i hit the late 1880's. Bad fictional players call it quits after a few years, and bad historical players do the same. Some teams have a 40 or more 'pro' ballplayers, and some have only a handful. So far it seems like finances off, i run out of players sooner. (I expected it to be the other way around)

Hopefully, one of these days, i will make it to 1900. Then the next issue comes up - smooth expansion & team movement!!