Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions

Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions General chat about the game...

Closed Thread

Old 06-01-2006, 05:49 PM   #1
Maverick
Minors (Double A)

Angry Beta Testers

Just who are these people?

This game has been in the making for well over 12 months and has supposed to have been thoroughly tested prior to release, yet within minutes of it being released, people are finding dozens of simple bugs with it. Bugs which should have been spotted by the so-called testers.

The announcement of the date of the first patch even before the majority of people had received there download e-mails was also a great confidence booster!

I will now retreat and await the flaming of the fanboys who seem to be in abundance on his site!
Old 06-01-2006, 05:53 PM   #2
RBLwebguy
Hall Of Famer

In before lock!
Old 06-01-2006, 05:53 PM   #3
Joshv02
Hall Of Famer

draven thinks that first basemen in England play on the left side of the IF.
Old 06-01-2006, 05:53 PM   #4
billethius
All Star Reserve

With the amount of people playing the game in different ways and the number of different computer configurations out there, there are bound to be a lot of bugs that are never spotted by beta testers (this is a strong argument for doing a large public beta). It's the same way with almost all games. Civ IV shipped and was completely unplayable by roughly half of the people who bought it. Those who could play it and were enjoying the game were constantly referred to as 'fanboys' for saying that the game worked fine for them (I was one of those who had no problems with it).

There's no way that a software developer can anticipate the many things users are going to attempt to do with their software, nor the many different hardware configurations that they will try to run it on. It seems like a pretty smart move to me for Markus and Co. to anticipate that there are going to be a lot of small bugs found right after release and to a) plan to release a patch right away and b) let the gaming community know about it beforehand.
Old 06-01-2006, 05:55 PM   #5
ozziethesaint
Banned

i will agree to some small, very small, extent...
I think the release must have been rushed because tehre's alot of little things that should have been caught long before the game was released
Old 06-01-2006, 05:55 PM   #6
Goodsox
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick

This game has been in the making for well over 12 months and has supposed to have been thoroughly tested prior to release, yet within minutes of it being released, people are finding dozens of simple bugs with it. Bugs which should have been spotted by the so-called testers.

The announcement of the date of the first patch even before the majority of people had received there download e-mails was also a great confidence booster!

I will now retreat and await the flaming of the fanboys who seem to be in abundance on his site!
Here we go again

Go White Sox!
Old 06-01-2006, 05:55 PM   #7
Draft Dodger
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshv02
draven thinks that first basemen in England play on the left side of the IF.
they don't?

15 GB Webhosting for $6.95 a month

IMO we are best off abandoning that sinking ship that is Off Topic to the rats infesting it and just starting a whole new Baseball Forum from scratch.
Old 06-01-2006, 05:56 PM   #8
bgresshrh
Bat Boy

I was not a Beta Tester, however I am in the software business and I know for a fact how hard it is to Beta. No matter what we seem to do for my company, the second it goes out there is a bug reported. Bugs are never all caught until it is released to people who are banging on it all day. Maybe that simple bug as you call it may be a very hard bug to diagnose and they have a record of it, however they just can't replicate it with enough regularity to make sense.

These Beta testers did not get paid (well besides Marc). I am sure they did the best they could as well as learn a new interface as well as make suggestions, etc.....

Your comments are way out of line.
Old 06-01-2006, 05:56 PM   #9
redsox45
Hall Of Famer

I am one of the beta testers. Pre-beta actually. I'm also on the text team that wrote the PBP and news for the game.

I'm proud of that, and I'm proud of the other members of the beta team for testing the game as best they could. They did a fine job. We caught a lot of errors before release. We missed a lot. Markus will fix them, we will test his fixes. The community will find new ones.

The fact is, any game will have bugs. Any game will have crashes. But this game, and this team, from the SI folks to us betas, is staying on top of things.

Will

1. Murder of Roger Ackroyd -- Agatha Christie
2. Birds of Prey -- Wilbur Smith
3. King Solomon's Mines - H. Rider Haggard
4. Comstock Lode -- Louis L'Amour
5. Andersonville -- McKinley Kantor
Old 06-01-2006, 05:58 PM   #10
<Pion>
All Star Starter

Quote:

I was wondering how long it would take for a post like this to appear.
Old 06-01-2006, 06:01 PM   #11
enuttage
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Hey Maverick,

I understand your frustration, bro.

Coupla things. If you've got specific bugs, definitely report them over in the tech forum. They may be in the game, but fortunately, Markus has proven time and time again that he is most efficient in fixing things in an incredibly timely manner. If you see something that seems messed up, definitely report it. We'll all be better off for it.

The beta testers did try their hardest, and as someone who was beta testing for Mac, I must tell you that the PC guys (who were there long before me) really gave it a good wringing out. They did a very nice job of isolating the large issues.

That being said, they couldn't catch everything, and they knew that the large scale release would bring a few glitches here and there. That's also, I'm assuming, the reason for the first patch being so early on.

The more feedback you can give to Markus and his team between now and the first patch date, the better.

So as you find those little bugs and annoyances, report 'em! Markus will have almost every single one of them fixed in short order, if the past is any indicator of what the future is to bring from him.

Cheers,

-E

"When you meet someone better than yourself, turn your thoughts to becoming his equal. When you meet someone not as good as you are, look within and examine your own self."

Last edited by enuttage; 06-01-2006 at 06:03 PM.
Old 06-01-2006, 06:02 PM   #12
emysdk
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by <Pion>
I'm amazed it took a whole day. They normally appear about an hour after the shops open when a new version of FM is released.
Old 06-01-2006, 06:03 PM   #13
Jason
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by <Pion>
I was surprised it didn't happen yesterday.
Old 06-01-2006, 06:04 PM   #14
Hellion9
Minors (Triple A)

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by emysdk
I'm amazed it took a whole day. They normally appear about an hour after the shops open when a new version of FM is released.
Sometimes even BEFORE the latest version of FM is released.

Sort it out SI!
Old 06-01-2006, 06:04 PM   #15
huskerdan25
Major Leagues

Quote:

I'm no fanboy but I think I would agree with you more if we were finding many critical bugs, show-stoppers as they say in the software business. Being a software engineer, I can tell you that no amount of testing time ever results in finding all bugs and unless a neverending matrix of test scenarios are hit, there are bound to be areas of the code that aren't going to get hit all that often if at all. If I understand correctly, the beta testers were assigned a particular area of functionality but I highly doubt that each tester created a comprehensive test plan in order to hit every possible scenario in an area of functionality. No program, and I mean no program, ever gets released without bugs. So I think your expectations are unreasonable. With the exception of a few complaints about the game crashing, it seems most of the major bugs were caught and dealt with during beta testing, so I think you do an injustice in ranting and insinuating that the beta testers were incompetent or did an incomplete job.

I think the announcement of the patch shows that the development group is ready to quickly respond to major and minor issues with the game. Scheduling it for next Wednesday is a bonus but personally, I would rather wait a few weeks so that more issues can be addressed at once and sufficient testing can be done to ensure the fixes are made and no new bugs are introduced.

Maybe if you had an understanding of how software development works, you'd have a better appreciation for just how well the game is actually working and not focus on the simple bugs that seem to have you irritated.

Last edited by huskerdan25; 06-01-2006 at 06:06 PM.
Old 06-01-2006, 06:05 PM   #16
Goodsox
Hall Of Famer

Maverick,

I am a beta tester as well and think we did a hell of a job. If you saw the hard work and effort that was put in behind the scenes, this thread would not even be started. I used to be like you years ago wondering why every bug was not caught by the testers. This is not possible! There are so many configurations, setups, games, etc. This group of testers busted their butts to make this game as solid as they can.

Go White Sox!
Old 06-01-2006, 06:05 PM   #17
bulldog55
Hall Of Famer

In!

Being smart, don't always make you popular.
Old 06-01-2006, 06:07 PM   #18
Raidergoo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Why should I trade sleep for work for no pay for the likes of you?

Welcome to my killfile.
Old 06-01-2006, 06:14 PM   #19
RBLwebguy
Hall Of Famer

I spent many a nights up to 12:00-1:00 AM testing and writing PbP and more testing only to get up at 6:00 AM the next day. I know many here busted their tails to catch what they could before the release. Had SI said, sorry, we will delay the release for another month all of you would have went mental on them. It is almost a no win situation, and a thankless job.
Old 06-01-2006, 06:19 PM   #20
huskerdan25
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBLwebguy
I spent many a nights up to 12:00-1:00 AM testing and writing PbP and more testing only to get up at 6:00 AM the next day. I know many here busted their tails to catch what they could before the release. Had SI said, sorry, we will delay the release for another month all of you would have went mental on them. It is almost a no win situation, and a thankless job.
RBLwebguy, I am confident that they are many more people here that do appreciate the herculian efforts made by yourself, other beta testers and the development staff, so it isn't a thankless job. As I mentioned in my earlier post, most of the functionality in the game is working well. Maybe it's the optimist me that always looks at the glass as being mostly full rather than partly empty, but I've run into few problems and think this game is outstanding. So, kudos to you and all of those that had a part in bringing us an incredible game!

Dan