Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: Technical Support > Earlier versions of OOTP: Logged Issues
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Earlier versions of OOTP: Logged Issues All issues that have been logged and given a TT # are stored here until fixed

Old 05-16-2007, 11:07 AM   #1
Subby
Major Leagues

Select Manager Function in OOTP7

Hi - for some reason when I have to select my name from the manager list in on-line league play, it seems like any type of logical, coherent sort order has been lost. I assume it is supposed to sort alphabetically by last name or team, but for some reason my copy doesn't do that.

After I import a new league file, the same crazy thing happens - I have to hunt for and select my name from the unordered list - again! I am not sure if this second select screen is a bug since I already selected my name previously, but I thought it was interesting that the sort order was lost on it, too.

Should I try re-downloading the latest patch?
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 12:02 PM   #2
Subby
Major Leagues

Just an update...I repatched and still get the same thing....
Old 05-16-2007, 03:23 PM   #3
Curtis
Hall Of Famer

So, after the re-patch you're now using the beta build?
Curtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 06:10 PM   #4
Nutlaw
Hall Of Famer

I could be mistaken, but I believe that the list is displayed in the order of the creation of the GM identities.
Nutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 07:11 PM   #5
sporr
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutlaw View Post
I could be mistaken, but I believe that the list is displayed in the order of the creation of the GM identities.
That's correct.
sporr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 09:31 AM   #6
Draft Dodger
Hall Of Famer

yeah, so, can we fix that?

15 GB Webhosting for $6.95 a month

IMO we are best off abandoning that sinking ship that is Off Topic to the rats infesting it and just starting a whole new Baseball Forum from scratch.
Draft Dodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 01:19 PM   #7
Curtis
Hall Of Famer

It only needs fixing if it's not working as designed. Shouldn't we wait until we hear from Subby whether that IS how his list is organized?
Old 05-17-2007, 04:21 PM   #8
Draft Dodger
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis View Post
It only needs fixing if it's not working as designed. Shouldn't we wait until we hear from Subby whether that IS how his list is organized?
that is how his list is organized.
which makes no sense, and makes life difficult for online league owners (Subby was trying to be subtle). and making us scroll throw a haphazardly sorted list TWICE is just silly.

IMO we are best off abandoning that sinking ship that is Off Topic to the rats infesting it and just starting a whole new Baseball Forum from scratch.
Old 05-17-2007, 04:32 PM   #9
Subby
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby View Post
Just an update...I repatched and still get the same thing....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutlaw View Post
Well that explains why it is so illogical and random, at least. Hopefully this programming bug gets fixed soon!

Thanks!
Old 05-17-2007, 04:37 PM   #10
Curtis
Hall Of Famer

But, it's not haphazard; it's logical.

There are three ways to organize the list that come immediately to mind — chronological (as Markus has it now), reverse chronological (newest on top to oldest on bottom, which is how I'd do it), and alphabetical, which is apparently how you'd do it. All three methods, and maybe others that didn't occur to me*, are equally valid. Markus chose a different one than we would've.

So you're making a feature request that a user should be able to order the list to suit themselves?

* = Just thought of two more: Most to least recently used, and most to least frequently used.
Old 05-17-2007, 04:40 PM   #11
Subby
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis View Post
But, it's not haphazard; it's logical.

There are three ways to organize the list that come immediately to mind — chronological (as Markus has it now), reverse chronological (newest on top to oldest on bottom, which is how I'd do it), and alphabetical, which is apparently how you'd do it. All three methods, and maybe others that didn't occur to me*, are equally valid. Markus chose a different one than we would've.

So you're making a feature request that a user should be able to order the list to suit themselves?

* = Just thought of two more: Most to least recently used, and most to least frequently used.
How is chronological a valid sort order if everyone is entered at the same time and no one knows what the chronology is?

Bug.
Old 05-17-2007, 04:50 PM   #12
bp_
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby View Post
How is chronological a valid sort order if everyone is entered at the same time and no one knows what the chronology is?

Bug.
It's not a bug but I agree alphabetical might be easier. Especially in large leagues. I'll TT this as a suggestion since it really isn't a bug.
Old 05-17-2007, 06:42 PM   #13
Draft Dodger
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp_ View Post
It's not a bug but I agree alphabetical might be easier. Especially in large leagues. I'll TT this as a suggestion since it really isn't a bug.
is the having to choose a manager both when you first load the league and again after downloading the league file from within the game a feature as well?

I'm being facetious here, of course, but the fact remains that these are two pretty annoying issues. call them design decisions, call them bugs, call them whatever you want as long as a TT is put in to improve the system.

thanks for listening.

Old 05-17-2007, 07:06 PM   #14
bp_
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger View Post
is the having to choose a manager both when you first load the league and again after downloading the league file from within the game a feature as well?
This was TT'd in beta and I believe Markus said he couldn't change this. I don't think he said he could never change it but it wasn't in the cards for this release.

As for the alphabetizing of manager names, I've TT'd it as 3595.
Old 05-17-2007, 11:38 PM   #15
sporr
Global Moderator

Yeah, I think the problem might be that, for the game's purposes, updating the league file in-game is the same as loading it again. Thus you have to log in again as annoying as that might be.
sporr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 01:21 AM   #16
magnet
Hall Of Famer

What about sorting them by team league/division?
magnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 10:24 AM   #17
bp_
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnet View Post
What about sorting them by team league/division?
I think alphabetical makes more sense. You don't see the divison alignments in the log-in box, just a list of names. Might as well be alphabetical by first name.