Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions General chat about the game...

Old 06-01-2006, 06:42 PM   #1
Erithtotl
Major Leagues

No spring training for minor leaguers?

I've noticed there is no spring training for anyone but your major league roster. The minor league teams don't seem to have thier own spring training. Since one of the main purposes of Spring training is to figure out your extended roster, that kind of makes it a little pointless, no? Maybe I'm missing something?
Erithtotl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 08:56 PM   #2
WWBL Commissioner
All Star Reserve

I notcied that but I think I also saw that you can have more than 25 on your active roster during the spring, I think I saw a team with 38/25 active roster during the spring
2005 Pacific League Champion
2006 Pacific League Champion
2007 Pacific League Champion
2008 WWBL WORLD CHAMPION
2010 WWBL WORLD CHAMPION
2019 WWBL WORLD CHAMPION
2029 WWBL WORLD CHAMPION
The Island Warriors are 21-23 in World Series play.

BadAssBaseball: Boston Red Sox
1906 American League Champion
1907 WORLD CHAMPION
WWBL Commissioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 09:23 PM   #3
Erithtotl
Major Leagues

You are correct. Even though it says 25/25 you can add guys up there, and it doesn't appear to give them a ML contract. Nice.
Erithtotl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 01:56 AM   #4
TobyCharles
Minors (Rookie Ball)

I was browsing through the game guide and read that during Spring Training, you can have your entire 40 man roster activated. As long as you then send down players before Opening Day, they will not use up an option for that season.

It would have been nice to be able to have some of the other minor league players available during the spring, but at this point, I guess not.
TobyCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 02:55 AM   #5
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erithtotl
I've noticed there is no spring training for anyone but your major league roster.
While minor leagues do have their own spring training games in real life, in the game they do not, only the major leagues have a spring training schedule. At least for this year's version at any rate.
Le Grande Orange is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 03:46 AM   #6
bp88
Minors (Triple A)

Why couldn't it have been kept like the other versions where a list of all the players in the organization are included and you can tell them what to work on? It seems a lot easier than having to go through the trouble of activating players, promoting them, demoting, etc.
bp88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 09:26 AM   #7
kcfan
Minors (Rookie Ball)

*Drinks some Kool Aid*.....Wow, this game is loaded with improvements, you just need to figure out the interface.

*Kool Aid wears off* Well, it was nice while it lasted from OOTP2 to OOTP 6.

Yes, I'm beyond sick at this stuff. Aside from the fact that I'd have been better off taking two $20s and burning them out in the driveway, I made the STUPID decision to take OOTP 6 off of my computer, and I didn't bother to "unlicense" it, meaning that to use it again, I'd have to buy it again, and I'm NOT sending SI more money after this.

I don't know whether to feel sorry for Markus or be mad because apparently "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" is something that was never suggested.

Here, I even found an illustration right here on the forum: The smiley on the right was perfectly fine. Make some serious "improvements" and look what happens. ARRRRGGGHHHH.

Last edited by kcfan; 06-02-2006 at 09:32 AM.
kcfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 09:35 AM   #8
mh2365
Banned

Infractions: 0/2 (101)
Is it just me or do the majority of the complaints fall under the category of "this game isn't exactly like the last 6 versions with a few minor tweaks so I hate it"?
mh2365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 09:37 AM   #9
Carplos
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 1/0 (0)
Quote:
Yes, I'm beyond sick at this stuff. Aside from the fact that I'd have been better off taking two $20s and burning them out in the driveway, I made the STUPID decision to take OOTP 6 off of my computer, and I didn't bother to "unlicense" it, meaning that to use it again, I'd have to buy it again, and I'm NOT sending SI more money after this.
As long as you haven't reformatted, you should be able to just reinstall it. The license is still on the computer.
Carplos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 09:41 AM   #10
Draft Dodger
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TobyCharles
I was browsing through the game guide and read that during Spring Training, you can have your entire 40 man roster activated. As long as you then send down players before Opening Day, they will not use up an option for that season.
hmmm, I don't believe that's how options work in real life. I believe ST counts with regard to option years.

15 GB Webhosting for $6.95 a month

IMO we are best off abandoning that sinking ship that is Off Topic to the rats infesting it and just starting a whole new Baseball Forum from scratch.
Draft Dodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 09:49 AM   #11
scefalu
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger
hmmm, I don't believe that's how options work in real life. I believe ST counts with regard to option years.
Yes, but in this case, I'm happy to get the free look at the players who may have been close last September and may be ready for a bench or platoon spot now.
Old 06-02-2006, 09:49 AM   #12
Erik W.
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mh2365
Is it just me or do the majority of the complaints fall under the category of "this game isn't exactly like the last 6 versions with a few minor tweaks so I hate it"?
It's not just you.
Old 06-02-2006, 09:49 AM   #13
jarmenia
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcfan
*Drinks some Kool Aid*.....Wow, this game is loaded with improvements, you just need to figure out the interface.

*Kool Aid wears off* Well, it was nice while it lasted from OOTP2 to OOTP 6.

I don't know whether to feel sorry for Markus or be mad because apparently "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" is something that was never suggested.

Here, I even found an illustration right here on the forum: The smiley on the right was perfectly fine. Make some serious "improvements" and look what happens. ARRRRGGGHHHH.
Spring training was broke. Its not realistic to not have your players playing in ST games and just have their abilities jump. Baseball is a game you have to play to get bettter. No amonunt of drills make up for actually playing the game. It is realistic to have to invite minor leaguers into the Major League Camp to watch them work out. I am far from a Kool Aid drinker but I think this is one of the best improvments to the game.

jarmenia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 09:54 AM   #14
CHCfan
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarmenia
Spring training was broke. Its not realistic to not have your players playing in ST games and just have their abilities jump. Baseball is a game you have to play to get bettter. No amonunt of drills make up for actually playing the game. It is realistic to have to invite minor leaguers into the Major League Camp to watch them work out. I am far from a Kool Aid drinker but I think this is one of the best improvments to the game.
Exactly.

There may be legitimate issues with OOTP 2006, but "such-and-such doesn't work the same as in last version" is not, alone, a valid problem. I have had very little experience with ST in 2006, so I'll reserve my final judgement, but it appears that it will work much better/realistically in this format - the only real problems being in its presentation.
CHCfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 09:55 AM   #15
Draft Dodger
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
great news! just reinstall OOTP6. as long as you haven't reformated your computer, the license info is still in the registry and you'll be all set.

IMO we are best off abandoning that sinking ship that is Off Topic to the rats infesting it and just starting a whole new Baseball Forum from scratch.
Old 06-02-2006, 10:05 AM   #16
battists
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger
Actually, having gone over this in painful detail with Mr Workrate, who is the ultimate transaction geek (in a good way), I'm fairly certain that ST doesn't count towards option years:

When Spring Training begins and players report to camp, options haven’t been used yet. Generally, every player on that secondary roster is in major league camp for the beginning of Spring Training. It’s basically an open invitation—all those players, in the opinion of the scouts and management, have some shot of ending Spring Training on the active roster. As camp moves on, players get cut and reassigned. With a player who is on the secondary roster, he gets optioned to the minor league camp. Only then does that player use an option year. So, if a team used its first option year on a player the previous season, but the player made the opening day active roster this season, he would still have two option years remaining, because he has not been optioned to the minors this season.
battists is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 10:05 AM   #17
Erik W.
Global Moderator

Quote:
I made the STUPID decision to take OOTP 6 off of my computer, and I didn't bother to "unlicense" it, meaning that to use it again, I'd have to buy it again, and I'm NOT sending SI more money after this.
You can just e-mail Viatech, give them your license number, and explain to them what happened. I've done this at least a dozen times (forgetting to unlicense things before reformatting, or having to recover from a crash) and they've always done it within a few business hours.
Old 06-02-2006, 10:11 AM   #18
battists
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azamien
I've done this at least a dozen times ...
Oh, they must LOVE you Azamien.
battists is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 10:22 AM   #19
Draft Dodger
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by battists
Actually, having gone over this in painful detail with Mr Workrate, who is the ultimate transaction geek (in a good way), I'm fairly certain that ST doesn't count towards option years:

When Spring Training begins and players report to camp, options haven’t been used yet. Generally, every player on that secondary roster is in major league camp for the beginning of Spring Training. It’s basically an open invitation—all those players, in the opinion of the scouts and management, have some shot of ending Spring Training on the active roster. As camp moves on, players get cut and reassigned. With a player who is on the secondary roster, he gets optioned to the minor league camp. Only then does that player use an option year. So, if a team used its first option year on a player the previous season, but the player made the opening day active roster this season, he would still have two option years remaining, because he has not been optioned to the minors this season.
well, yes, if he doesn't get sent down, it won't count. but if he does...that counts. this is why there's always talk at the end of ST of certain guys who might have to make the roster over other guys because they are out of options.

Old 06-02-2006, 10:35 AM   #20
Erik W.
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by battists
Oh, they must LOVE you Azamien.
Bah, an average of twice a year or so since I started playing eLicensed games. Not that bad.