Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > Perfect Team

Perfect Team Discover the new amazing online league competition & card collecting mode of OOTP!

Old 03-13-2019, 06:41 AM   #61
Zorro
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by joehart View Post
I think PT v1 has been a success for the company and made it easy for anyone to play out their fantasies of owning the various superstars from the past.
But with dedicated development time I believe it will continue to evolve and get better. We may not see some of your concerns addressed right away but more features and changes may drive it in a direction to where it does not feel like playing a dice based game. *fingers crossed.

I just hope some of my concern regarding outlier cards (too good compared to the rest) gets a second look and addressed before v2.
I really don’t want to play in a league when 5 perfect SP pitcher cards can let me cruise control to trophies vs. 90% of the competition.

I never tried playing in a fictional online league. I may try that if I can find a league and similar minded folks to enjoy it.
Anyone with prior experience in seasonal leagues?
I seem to always agree with you. I am also afraid of that. I do not mind the randomness of the game at all. I can always find a way to beat that. What I would never have a chance or strategy for would be a rotation of 5 Pedro’s. I am afraid that is where we are heading because that is where the money will fly. The randomness is not that hard to beat (Takes work but can be done) The Pedro’s cannot. (My opinion )
Zorro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 07:13 AM   #62
Zorro
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcin View Post
I am retired and I would be doing much better if I had better cards.
Are you positive of that? The best cards in the game still have to be worked over because of random play or lack of hitting on one side or the other. I have Ruth, Cobb and Seymour which some people say is a great card outfield compared to Jones, Maddox and Clemente but I play them all equally and always pick their spots in a 7 day lineup. If I just kept Ruth, Cobb and Seymour in the lineup I would never keep going to the playoffs like I do. I know because I am home and have tried that. The only reason I have success over some people is because I am retired and can put in the time to know my players and the ball parks around the league. Other people have to work and have a life with children and young wife’s while I have done that already and now this is my job. I will not argue that there are better cards out there and some help but half the time I use a line up of 3 golds and three silvers because they are better in that spot then my perfects or diamonds. And You have to admit I have done alright doing that. The reason why is because I have the time and the desire to strategize every series while others are out playing the game of life. I will say it one more time. I have a huge advantage because I am retired and can put in the work that you cannot do. I have heard people say how good I am at this game but in truth (Yes I do work hard at it) I have the advantage of having the time to learn my team and work on the randomness of the game while you are working. I really do not think cards make the show. Sure you need some good players but the only dominant player in this league is Perfect Pedro and his little brother Schilling. Just give me one of those two and take the rest of my players away and I will still be able to build a winner with them. Those cards are unfair. With out them we all have a shot of building a winner because they are the only dominant players in this league. (My opinion)
Old 03-13-2019, 07:46 AM   #63
zrog2000
All Star Starter

Quote:
You really need to let the competitive balance thread go. Surely we are past that by now.
I have. You're saying the same exact thing now.
zrog2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 07:51 AM   #64
Zorro
Hall Of Famer

Let me also say something I can prove. Before coming to this league I played against whales. Every season they would have up to 26 perfect players. Some would have 12 or 14 or 10 and I remember one with 26. Now my point. Go look at my record and you will see I did much better against them. A lot of them would just plug and play. This league has caught up with my tricks and have tricks of their own. I have to change my strategy every year because of this. We know each other and that makes it much harder to win. I could get away with things in a Whale league I can not get away with here. I get headaches in this league.(That is why I stayed) It was much easier making the playoffs in a random Whale league because so many of them did not take it seriously. Just went out and bought the cards and played them. Here I find people take this seriously and I have to work like hell to make the playoffs and I am convinced that because I am retired and work hard at this game that it is the only reason I make the playoffs here. That is my advantage. Similar but not quite as huge as owning A Perfect Pedro or his little brother Schilling. Well I got to set my 7 day lineup and get ready to go out. I got to play life a little today and take my niece to the Dr. Hopefully I will be back quickly to work on my other life. 😁
Old 03-13-2019, 07:52 AM   #65
mcdog512
Hall Of Famer

Location: Pack Robert Gibson; November 9, 1935 – October 2, 2020
I wish I had the time to micro....
mcdog512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 08:09 AM   #66
Zorro
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdog512 View Post
You guys are good enough the way you are. PLEASE keep working.😉 Have to go, Se you all later....
Old 03-13-2019, 08:26 AM   #67
ripitback
Minors (Double A)

I am with you on the outliers.
Quote:
I think PT v1 has been a success for the company and made it easy for anyone to play out their fantasies of owning the various superstars from the past.
But with dedicated development time I believe it will continue to evolve and get better. We may not see some of your concerns addressed right away but more features and changes may drive it in a direction to where it does not feel like playing a dice based game. *fingers crossed.

I just hope some of my concern regarding outlier cards (too good compared to the rest) gets a second look and addressed before v2.
I really don’t want to play in a league when 5 perfect SP pitcher cards can let me cruise control to trophies vs. 90% of the competition.

I never tried playing in a fictional online league. I may try that if I can find a league and similar minded folks to enjoy it.
Anyone with prior experience in seasonal leagues?

Last edited by ripitback; 03-13-2019 at 10:15 AM.
ripitback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 09:14 AM   #68
zrog2000
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdog512 View Post
The only possible way to do it is to have reserves as good as your actives. That's a luxury I'll never have.
Old 03-13-2019, 09:36 AM   #69
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zrog2000 View Post
The only possible way to do it is to have reserves as good as your actives. That's a luxury I'll never have.
Yes, I find myself agreeing with you on many points lately.
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 09:54 AM   #70
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorro View Post
Are you positive of that? The best cards in the game still have to be worked over because of random play or lack of hitting on one side or the other. I have Ruth, Cobb and Seymour which some people say is a great card outfield compared to Jones, Maddox and Clemente but I play them all equally and always pick their spots in a 7 day lineup. If I just kept Ruth, Cobb and Seymour in the lineup I would never keep going to the playoffs like I do.
Yes, I am positive. Here's the point that you are missing. You have Ruth, Cobb, and Seymour AND you have Jones, Maddox, and Clemente. I just have the equivalent of Jones, Maddox, and Clemente. Your main set of outfielders costs nearly as much as my entire team. If I had both sets of outfielders, then I could just play the better set and do a lot better than I am now. I am not saying that I would do better than you because I don't have your skills, but I am positive that I would do better than me. The OPS gained against RHP would be enormous compared to my current outfield, and the league is 80% RHP. Cobb vs. Ashburn? Seymour vs. Snider? Ruth vs. F.Robinson? Anybody not see the talent difference there even before adding in the platoons? Understand now?

I hope you are not made at me and I wish you wouldn't take this personally, because I am not attacking you or your success or the way that you play. I am just stating my opinion about my experience in the game. I am not jealous of your cards, although I do wish I had pulled them from a pack along the way. All I am saying is that better players help make a better manager. It's a thought that has been expressed by real baseball people many times. You are right when you say that better players don't guarantee a better manager, because you have to know what to do with them.
Old 03-13-2019, 10:08 AM   #71
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

For those of us that are scratching our heads over the variability in the game, the bolded section below is an interesting comment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Heinsohn View Post
Well, the vast majority wanted an open DB. I personally was torn on the subject, I probably would have preferred just a list of cards including the value tier of each card.

Anyway, we'll see how it goes and will reevaluate for PT21. Or we simply won't update the current card's list anymore (we are still working on the cards anyway) and add some more secret cards

And btw, only because there is now an open DB it does not mean that someone who studies it suddenly has a big advantage. The published ratings do not correlate to stats output 1:1 in the engine, there is still a lot of "magic" involved that we did not and can not include in the database export. We don't want to spoil the whole fun, right?

Edit: By the way, the exlcusive cards that we will have for the tournaments will not be made public in the database, neither will the other cards we will provide as content updates throughout the year or the updated live cards. At least that is the plan at the moment, we'll see how it goes. The purpose for releasing the DB now is essentially beta testing by having a few more eyes looking at the launch cards.

What magic? Ratings don't correlate to stats output? I don't understand... isn't that the reason that I am paying money for better cards?
Old 03-13-2019, 10:08 AM   #72
joehart
All Star Starter

I think both of you made several points and are correct each.

Micro managing will lead to success as will opening your wallet. As the celebrities that got arrested in the last 48 hours showed us.... a deeper pocket will get your kids into the college of your choice or in our case the players you want.

Mid-level players will perform well but they tend to average out at a certain seasonal performance level (if we use WAR, it will be 1-3). Stars like Ceymour, Cobbs, or Ruth tend to average out at an extra 1-3 WAR.

The way I see it, micro managing will raise your top performance level but it can
only take you so far. The next step requires better players.
joehart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 10:12 AM   #73
mcdog512
Hall Of Famer

Location: Pack Robert Gibson; November 9, 1935 – October 2, 2020
Right Joe....

Better managing can beat somewhat better players.

Better managing AND better players gives you a very good chance and sustained success.

I have below average managerial skill and maybe ave/above ave players for this level so I'm pretty mediocre overall.
mcdog512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 10:31 AM   #74
zrog2000
All Star Starter

Quote:
For those of us that are scratching our heads over the variability in the game, the bolded section below is an interesting comment.

What magic? Ratings don't correlate to stats output? I don't understand... isn't that the reason that I am paying money for better cards?
I think he's talking about ratings that are based on hidden ratings. Like the overall movement rate that is displayed is based on movement and adjusted by ground ball %.
Old 03-13-2019, 10:33 AM   #75
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Back to the game... I finally gave up on carrying a defensive center fielder in the lineup and went back to Cleon Jones in left field with Snider in center. It's probably a wash with the runs that Jones gets me over Ashburn at the plate being offset by the runs that Snider allows in center over Ashburn. But maybe this alignment will be more fun to watch.
Old 03-13-2019, 10:34 AM   #76
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I think he's talking about ratings that are based on hidden ratings. Like the overall movement rate that is displayed is based on movement and adjusted by ground ball %.
Ok, that makes sense.
Old 03-13-2019, 10:35 AM   #77
zrog2000
All Star Starter

Quote:
I think both of you made several points and are correct each.

Micro managing will lead to success as will opening your wallet. As the celebrities that got arrested in the last 48 hours showed us.... a deeper pocket will get your kids into the college of your choice or in our case the players you want.

Mid-level players will perform well but they tend to average out at a certain seasonal performance level (if we use WAR, it will be 1-3). Stars like Ceymour, Cobbs, or Ruth tend to average out at an extra 1-3 WAR.

The way I see it, micro managing will raise your top performance level but it can
only take you so far. The next step requires better players.
Micro managing will do nothing for you if you don't have decent reserve options. Replacing Randy Johnson with James Corbin isn't going to help. And unless you have spent a whole lot of money, most of your PP is going to be put into creating the best 25 man roster you can build. Who spends on reserve options when they still have improvements to make for the active roster? There's no way in hell I'm going to have 500K worth of cards on reserve when my entire roster is worth 1/5th of that.

Having good reserves comes only when you're making tiny incremental improvements to your active roster. But when you still have massive upgrades to make, you're not going to have anyone worth playing on reserve.

Hell, see my reserve roster for my FTP team that did make it to perfect. Not much micro managing to do there. lol If I make the playoffs, Billy Hamilton replaces one of my pitchers and that's about it. Other than that, I might switch up the lineup a little, but the most optimized lineup only scores a few more runs per season so there's not much that can be done.
Attached Images

Last edited by zrog2000; 03-13-2019 at 10:44 AM.
Old 03-13-2019, 10:45 AM   #78
Zorro
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
So you are saying Maddox ,Clemente and Jones are as good as Cobb, Seymour and Ruth Which I agree. My point is there are no dominant batter cards just the way you use them.
Old 03-13-2019, 10:48 AM   #79
Zorro
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Yes, I am positive. Here's the point that you are missing. You have Ruth, Cobb, and Seymour AND you have Jones, Maddox, and Clemente. I just have the equivalent of Jones, Maddox, and Clemente. Your main set of outfielders costs nearly as much as my entire team. If I had both sets of outfielders, then I could just play the better set and do a lot better than I am now. I am not saying that I would do better than you because I don't have your skills, but I am positive that I would do better than me. The OPS gained against RHP would be enormous compared to my current outfield, and the league is 80% RHP. Cobb vs. Ashburn? Seymour vs. Snider? Ruth vs. F.Robinson? Anybody not see the talent difference there even before adding in the platoons? Understand now?

I hope you are not made at me and I wish you wouldn't take this personally, because I am not attacking you or your success or the way that you play. I am just stating my opinion about my experience in the game. I am not jealous of your cards, although I do wish I had pulled them from a pack along the way. All I am saying is that better players help make a better manager. It's a thought that has been expressed by real baseball people many times. You are right when you say that better players don't guarantee a better manager, because you have to know what to do with them.
I don’t take it personal because I know I am not as good as some others. My success comes from being home to micro manage my team. I know this. That is a huge advantage I have and know it.
Old 03-13-2019, 10:50 AM   #80
zrog2000
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorro View Post
So you are saying Maddox ,Clemente and Jones are as good as Cobb, Seymour and Ruth Which I agree. My point is there are no dominant batter cards just the way you use them.
No, but they can hold their own in perfect unlike any of my reserves. Also, I think you hurt your team as much as you help it by putting worse cards in.

Last edited by zrog2000; 03-13-2019 at 10:51 AM.