Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: Historical Simulations
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-20-2012, 05:11 PM   #1
Peedo
Minors (Single A)

First Year Player Draft

Am I doing something wrong on my First Year Player draft???

I'm in the Preseason of my v.13 customized historical game with one season already played, and I generated the FIRST YEAR PLAYER DRAFT pool for the new 2010 historical rookies; however, in looking over the pool, I don't recognize any of the names.

In back to back Game dates, I generated one first year player draft with "Enable Amateur Draft" checked in the Game Setup. Not recognizing any names, I generated a second draft pool the following Game day, this time with "Automatically import Historic Rookies", and "Enable Amateur Draft" both enabled, and I still didn't recognize any of the names.

How can I determine whether my first year player draft consists of only historical rookies?

I remember reading a post from someone else, who seemed to experience the same issue/question about 2-3 weeks ago, but now I can't find that post.

Could I possibly be overlooking a box someplace that I should have either checked or unchecked?

I hope this isn't a data base issue. The last time I fooled around with the data base I crashed the Game.

Any help/suggestions would be most appreciated.
Peedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 09:04 PM   #2
Charlie Hough
Hall Of Famer

Did you create this as a historical game and not as a custom or fictional game? And is this a random debut historical game, or is it a standard historical game?

If you use the wizard or advanced options for creating a historical league, and as long as keep the boxes checked for holding the rookie draft and automatically importing historical rookies (which are the defaults), then you should be fine.

The only way the game would create fictional rookies is if you tried to create a historical league by using a custom league setup. Custom leagues are not designed for historical play, and they will not automatically import rookies or do the things you want.

If you happen to be playing a random debut historical game, then that could explain your unfamiliarity with some of the rookie players. They could be players from various historical eras.
Charlie Hough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 10:53 PM   #3
Peedo
Minors (Single A)

I thank you Charlie Hough for coming to my aid.

From looking at the questions you pose, I'm beginning to sweat.

Although it's been close to 2 years since I initially created this Game, here are the facts as I vaguely recall them:

1. I created this Game as a custom-historical game in v.11. Fictional players were not even a consideration to me, and as far as I recall random debut players did not exist at the time.

2. I don't think I used the wizard to create the Game; therefore, I must have used what you're referring to as advanced options. Even so, in my recent attempts to generate a draft pool consisting to historical rookies, I checked the boxes for enabling the amateur draft and importing historical rookies, and I still can't generate historical rookies.

3. I'm afraid I may have created a historical league/game by using a custom league setup, as my memory serves me. Of course, I had no idea what I was doing, and the only guidance one has is researching volumes of posts on the forum whenever the manual doesn't explain things in adequate depth.

4. As for the possibility of being unfamiliar with some of the rookie players' names in the draft pool, I researched approx. 10-12 of the names thru Baseball-Reference.com, and none of the 10-12 exist in the their database.

So, this does not sound too encouraging. Is my Game salvageable using historic players on the rosters and in the first year player drafts, or am I S.O.L. and have to scrap the Game and start over? I don't want to play this game with fictional players. I don't get a thrill out of using a bunch of players I've never heard of before.
Old 04-21-2012, 01:16 AM   #4
Charlie Hough
Hall Of Famer

If you created it as a custom game and not a historical game, I'm not sure how you were importing rookies previously.

It's possible that you created it as a historical game but there is a setting somewhere that is wrong, or maybe the league did not convert correctly when you brought it into OOTP13. You may want to try reconverting it for OOTP13 and see if you get any different results.

I've never converted a game, so I don't know if there are settings you have to use in order to do that. Maybe there was an incorrect setting when you converted it.

Also, are you using full minors? If so, have you enabled ghost players? If you require full minors and don't allow OOTP to use ghost players, it will create fictional players to help fill all of your minor league levels.

I really don't know what the problem might be. I'm still guessing at this point. But I've never known the game to do anything wrong with importing if it's setup properly.
Old 04-21-2012, 12:02 PM   #5
Peedo
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Hough View Post
If you created it as a custom game and not a historical game, I'm not sure how you were importing rookies previously.

***I created the Game as a customized historical game. Because I've played thru only 1 season since purchasing the game, the only draft I've had has been the inaugaral draft, which was successful. The problems began when I attempted to conduct my first historical rookie draft after the Game's first season ended.***

It's possible that you created it as a historical game but there is a setting somewhere that is wrong, or maybe the league did not convert correctly when you brought it into OOTP13. You may want to try reconverting it for OOTP13 and see if you get any different results.

***I'm hoping the problem is only a setting.***

I've never converted a game, so I don't know if there are settings you have to use in order to do that. Maybe there was an incorrect setting when you converted it.

Also, are you using full minors? If so, have you enabled ghost players? If you require full minors and don't allow OOTP to use ghost players, it will create fictional players to help fill all of your minor league levels.

***Yes, I'm using full minors with ghost players enabled.***

I really don't know what the problem might be. I'm still guessing at this point. But I've never known the game to do anything wrong with importing if it's setup properly.
After sleeping on this and having more time to think about it, I feel reasonably sure that I correctly created the game using the manual and my own research of the forum.

When my Game crashed approx. 18 months ago, one of the OOTP support people remotely repaired it by going into the database. I have no idea what he did, but all I cared about was that the Game was operational again. I hope that repair job has nothing to do with this issue.

I think I need to enlist the help of one of the OOTP moderators, who is knowledgeable of the game program's inner workings.

I certainly appreciate the time you've given in attempting to help me out of the spot. BTW, are you THE Charlie Hough, or is that just a screen name you use?

Thank you.
Old 04-28-2012, 01:58 AM   #6
Peedo
Minors (Single A)

First Year Play Draft (con't)

While trying to figure out why my game produces only fictional rookies instead of historical rookies in the first year player draft, I noticed that the Database Path, located in the Historical Rookies Options section of the League Setup's Historical Tab, reads, "rs\Vette Fan\Documents\Out of the Park Developments\OOTP Baseball 11\stats".

Since I converted my game from v.11 to v.12(demo), then to v.13, shouldn't this Database Path read, "....\OOTP Baseball 13\....", instead of "...\OOTP Baseball 11\..."?

Could this be the reason I keep getting fictional rookies instead of historical rookies to download?

Can someone with knowledge in this particular area please give me an assist at your earliest convenience?
Old 04-28-2012, 02:09 AM   #7
Charlie Hough
Hall Of Famer

Try changing that to the correct path in your OOTP13 file structure. That might fix it.
Old 04-28-2012, 06:50 PM   #8
Peedo
Minors (Single A)

I'm not sure how to make changes to the OOTP13 file structure. Can you be more specific please. Does it involve changing a database? If so, please be very specific so I don't blow it up.
Old 04-29-2012, 12:39 PM   #9
Charlie Hough
Hall Of Famer

I just meant that you should browse to the correct location and set it from within OOTP. On a PC, it should be in your documents/Out of the Park Developmets/OOTP13/stats folder. In OOTP, you browse to and click the Master.csv in this location.
Old 04-29-2012, 03:43 PM   #10
Peedo
Minors (Single A)

I went to documents/Out of the Park Developments/OOTP13/stats. Upon opening the stats folder, there was a list of files beginning with Allstarfull, AwardsManager, AwardsPlayer, etc., and ending with UniNumbers. What do I need to do next?
Old 04-29-2012, 09:58 PM   #11
Charlie Hough
Hall Of Famer

From within the game, you need to change your database directory. You don't do it from within Windows. The game needs to know the location of the Master.csv file. So when you go into your historical options or wherever the database location option is, you browse to the location using the in-game navigation. Once you're in the correct stats folder for OOTP13 documents, you choose the Master.csv.

The game asks you for this in the dialog for that screen.
Old 04-30-2012, 04:59 PM   #12
Peedo
Minors (Single A)

I apologize for being so dense, but are you talking about "Preferences", located on the Start screen, then opening "Preferences" and clicking on the "Expert Settings" tab?

On the "Expert Settings" tab the first block is labeled "Customdatapath", and is blank. It looks like the same area I clicked on in OOTP11 and managed to crash my game.......

Other than Preferences on the Start screen, I've searched OOTP13 and can't find anyplace else that you might be referring to.
Old 04-30-2012, 05:23 PM   #13
Charlie Hough
Hall Of Famer

It's when you're creating a game or in the league setup options for an existing game.

At the bottom left of the Historical subtab under your League Setup tab, there is a box for the database path. If the path is incorrect, you can change it, but make sure to press the enter button on your keyboard when you're done.

When creating a new game, you also have the option to set the database path in a similar box on the first screen.

But it's never necessary or advisable to change these settings unless they're wrong in the first place.
Old 04-30-2012, 06:11 PM   #14
Peedo
Minors (Single A)

I'm there now!! Thank you very much, Charlie! I'd looked at this many times, but I thought it reflected "...\OOTP Baseball 11\..." because of a setting someplace else in either the game itself or within the Windows program, and to change it I thought I had to locate where ever that setting was.

Before I monkey with it, why does my database path reflect a prefix of "rs", as in "rs\Vette Fan\Documents\Out of the Park Developments\OOTP Baseball 11\stats"? Is that prefix a normal thing?
Old 05-01-2012, 04:07 PM   #15
Peedo
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peedo View Post
I'm there now!! Thank you very much, Charlie! I'd looked at this many times, but I thought it reflected "...\OOTP Baseball 11\..." because of a setting someplace else in either the game itself or within the Windows program, and to change it I thought I had to locate where ever that setting was.

Before I monkey with it, why does my database path reflect a prefix of "rs", as in "rs\Vette Fan\Documents\Out of the Park Developments\OOTP Baseball 11\stats"? Is that prefix a normal thing?
Never mind. I just realized what the "rs" is in my database path.
Old 08-13-2012, 12:57 PM   #16
biggamejrs
Minors (Triple A)

Did you ever get this fixed? I am having this issue in my league now.
Old 08-14-2012, 10:32 AM   #17
biggamejrs
Minors (Triple A)

I found my issue. I was using the wrong database.