Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions General chat about the game...

Old 11-20-2010, 10:31 PM   #1
Curve Ball Dave
Hall Of Famer

A Four Man Rotation

Can I get a show of hands of other practitioners of the four man rotation in the modern era, when it is necessary?

One of my starters got hurt running the bases. He had plenty of company on the DL, but that's another topic. Anyway, my AAA squad had some good relievers, but the two starters (I don't require full squads) were way too raw to send to the Bigs, to say nothing of not wanting to start the "options" clock that early in their careers. AA had five starters, none of whom were over 21 years old. The free agent list was nothing more than minor league free agents, and washed up 30 something year old scrubs who were good for throwing batting practice and little more. In fact, if they did pitch in the Majors they'd be doing little more than throwing BP in any case.

Faced with a minor league system with no ready replacements, and a free agent list full of man-goo, I did the only thing I could-use a four man rotation for the six weeks my injured starter would be out. His roster spot was filled by another reliever.

My injured starter just came back. In the time he was out we played over .500 and moved into first by a game and a half.

The moral to the story, I guess, is if you only have four good starters there's no point using a fifth unless you absolutely have to. Putting in a not yet ready kid or a veteran with nothing left, either of whom will be lucky to win a start, just to give the other starters a day of rest isn't worth it.
Old 11-20-2010, 10:43 PM   #2
Afino
Hall Of Famer

I used a four-man rotation in my one online league for about 2/3 of the season after I realized after my 1-3 guys, anyone else I put in was utter rubbish.

Basically, I fell behind with an otherwise dominant team, I went from 5-man to 4-man at that point. The move helped, but it's not totally advisable if you don't have a) 4 starters with at least 75 to 80 Stamina on a 100 point scale or b) an extra man in the bullpen.

And it's easier to find another bullpen arm than it is a starter.

I'm not afraid to when it's obvious there's no other option. I won't keep running 5.50+ ERA's out there just for the sanctity of a 5-man rotation.

Last edited by Afino; 11-20-2010 at 10:44 PM.
Afino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 07:40 AM   #3
Tekneek
Major Leagues

I have had a different experience. I suppose it could be coincidence but, after moving to a 4 man rotation, I have posted the two best seasons ever for me. 100 wins and 111 wins. I am a believer in it, for now.
Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 11:01 AM   #4
bwburke94
Hall Of Famer

The Royals tried going with a 4-man rotation one year in the mid-90s but it didn't work...
bwburke94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 12:31 PM   #5
Peterk
Minors (Triple A)

I've used the 4 man rotation quite a bit in OOTP (version 11 and version 6).

It works well and it is tempting to use all of the time BUT I have definitely noticed an increased risk of pitcher injury when I do it, so it is playing with fire a bit. Your starters are also playing on less rest and will tire earlier than usual.

If you're on the 4 man rotation and then you get a major injury to a SP, you tend to be royally screwed. I stay on the look-out for a #5 guy even while I'm on the 4 man rotation, just in case. I'll often switch to a 4 man rotation in the last month or so of the season if I need an extra push and that works well, but doing it for the entire season can be a little nerve-racking and is risky.
Peterk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 02:36 PM   #6
neugey
All Star Reserve

A 4 1/2 man rotation is the best solution .

Playing in the early 70's w/out DH, I use a 4-man rotation. But I've learned that 5th starter will likely need to be thrown in the mix when there are double-headers in the schedule or sometimes because of extra inning games (or both!).

This season, I'm trying to be better prepared and have two borderline starters (1 lefty, 1 righty) on my roster in case my 4 starters are tired or injuries hit the rotation. If things are going well and the starting 4 are not overworked, I will use these guys in relief. We'll see how it goes.
neugey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 03:47 PM   #7
Marberi
All Star Reserve

I do exactly as most clubs do IRL: I use a 5-man rotation, skipping my #5 SP whenever I can. So in the end, my top 4 SP's end up with 34-36 GS (barring injury), while the #5 guy gets 26-28 starts.

I think of it as a 4-man rotation, with an occasional #5 spot starter, but I do this manually and not by placing one of RPs in the spot starter slot. And it has worked great for me, so far.
Marberi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 04:04 PM   #8
Chicagofan76
Banned

Infractions: 2/2 (3)
In my 2 solo league i use a 4 man rotation schedule are 126 for 1 so i skip the #4 guy often, and 154 games so the #4 guy doesnt get skipped as often plus he is 2 time 15 game winner.

I told the other GM's in my online league that I plan on going witha 4 man rotation to start the yr i got blasted for it. I have Carpenter, Cliff Lee, Brett Myers & Homer Bailey with David Pauley moving into a spot starter role 25%

I will prob start the yr with it, go back to a 5 man rotation for May & June, try the 4 man in July go back to 5 in August and if I am in 2nd or father back go with a strict 4 man in Sept. O r maybe just do April and September with 4 man, If Pauley struggles at #5 I can always move Joba from CL to #5. I am expecting Bailey to tank on me.
Chicagofan76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 04:07 PM   #9
nelmsm
Bat Boy

I've used a 4 man rotation when I've had injury problems but when I've done it I've found a reliever with a high stamina number and used him to spot start 20% of the time and it seemed to work out okay until my injury problems cleared up.
nelmsm is offline   Reply With Quote