Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: Historical Simulations
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-22-2011, 02:11 PM   #1
Terpripken
All Star Starter

Looking For Real Life Post-Season Rosters

Hopefully I'm posting this in right forum.

I'm looking for complete postseason rosters going back to the first World Series to use for my "A Shot At Redemption" dynasty. I'm doing my best to replicate the actual postseason rosters for this simulation.

There are many sites including Playoff and World Series Stats and Results - Baseball-Reference.com (which I find to be most useful) where you can get postseason boxscores and game logs, but if a player was on the roster but didn't appear in a game in the series he has not listed in team stats.

I can use the boxscores and team stats to usually get about 22-23 of the players who were on a teams roster, but how can I find out who the remaining team members were who never made it into a game in the series?

I've been told that this info is available from the Elias Sports Bureau books, but i"m looking for something online.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as all of my searches have proved unsuccessful.
Terpripken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 04:52 PM   #2
Terpripken
All Star Starter

After doing some more research, it appears that such info is not available, at least not online in one place. I find it very unbelievable, given the wealth of statistics that you can find on the internet, that some site doesn't have this archived.

Still...if anyone has any possible ideas...I'm all ears.
Old 01-22-2011, 07:27 PM   #3
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

You can try searching the online archives for some newspapers, as articles in the sports section may list the players on each club's post-season roster. You can also try searching through The Sporting News issues as well, though those are no longer easily available online.
Le Grande Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 09:15 PM   #4
skunkle333
All Star Reserve

I went through this a few years back. Indeed, unless something new has appeared the roster data (except for recent seasons) for WSeries teams is not available online.

And after tons of research and asking questions like yourself it can only be found up to 2004 in The Elias book of Baseball Records 2005 edition. I found one on ebay some years back. Even that book only contains the full exact rosters for the WSeries matchups. No other regular playoff rosters are there. I photo-copied the key pages and gave the book away to someone doing work with a PC baseball game.

About 6-9 months later I once again found the book on ebay and purchased it. This copy I will keep.

My suggestion is to keep an eye out for an ebay sale of the book listed above. At least for WSeries rosters up to 2004. As was already mentioned the other best resource I know of is newspaper archives. I've tried to follow all playoff team rosters for the past several years with the MLB sites during the playoffs. Kept in my file notes. It's my finding that later on those exact rosters are no longer kept online after the playoffs are over. At least that has been my finding.

Don't forget to try PStrickert's great 1959 World Series Quickstart Mod for V12 & V11 !! At Padresfan's site.

Last edited by skunkle333; 01-22-2011 at 09:17 PM.
skunkle333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 10:37 PM   #5
Terpripken
All Star Starter

Thank you both for the responses and suggestions. At some point I may do some more digging, but for now I'm just going to go with what I can get from baseball reference and other sites.

At least I know now that I'm not crazy..., and that this info just doesn't exist online anywhere. It sounds like an opportunity for an enterprising person.
Old 01-22-2011, 11:11 PM   #6
skunkle333
All Star Reserve

I did forget to mention one thing...although not related to your roster search.

I really like your idea of A Shot at Redemption for a league. I think a little down the road I'll start a tournament with that very thought in mind. Thanks for the idea.

Don't forget to try PStrickert's great 1959 World Series Quickstart Mod for V12 & V11 !! At Padresfan's site.
Old 01-23-2011, 03:56 AM   #7
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

There is a way to extrapolate the post-season rosters, assuming the data is available:

If you can find which players were on each club's active roster and disabled list as of August 31st, you essentially have the playoff roster since it is the players on the active list and DL as of Aug. 31 who are post-season eligible. This won't give you the cases of players who were brought up to replace players still injured one the playoffs began, but it will give you the large majority of the playoff roster players.
Old 01-25-2011, 05:25 AM   #8
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

I was searching through the online archives of the New York Times and happened to come across an article outlining all the details of the 1919 World Series, including the list of players eligible to play for each club.

You can find the article in the Oct. 1, 1919 issue.

As I recall, the newpaper published similar pages for other World Series around that period.

EDIT: Just found the same kind of detailed article for the 1920 World Series in the Oct. 3, 1920 issue.

Last edited by Le Grande Orange; 01-25-2011 at 05:34 AM.
Old 01-25-2011, 11:00 AM   #9
Terpripken
All Star Starter

Thanks for all the info and research LGO. I have been able to piece together rosters pretty well using box scores from postseason games and articles from the period. From 1969 on if a team played in both a League Championship Series and the World Series, it becomes even easier, as I have 2 series (or if its post-1995...3) to get info from.

At some point, when I am done with my current projects, it might be fun and a service to the baseball community in general, to try and get a basic site up with this information, as I'm sure that I'm not the only one who would be interested in it.
Old 01-25-2011, 11:05 AM   #10
Terpripken
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skunkle333 View Post

I really like your idea of A Shot at Redemption for a league. I think a little down the road I'll start a tournament with that very thought in mind. Thanks for the idea.
Thanks! It was a lot of fun to set up, and I learned a lot of baseball history along the way. The tournament itself is really fun to sim (I'm playing each game out), it's really cool to see some of the best teams from all-time match up. It is honestly the most fun I have had with OOTP, and I've been playing since version 6.5.
Old 01-25-2011, 12:03 PM   #11
pstrickert
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terpripken View Post
Thanks for all the info and research LGO. I have been able to piece together rosters pretty well using box scores from postseason games and articles from the period. From 1969 on if a team played in both a League Championship Series and the World Series, it becomes even easier, as I have 2 series (or if its post-1995...3) to get info from.

At some point, when I am done with my current projects, it might be fun and a service to the baseball community in general, to try and get a basic site up with this information, as I'm sure that I'm not the only one who would be interested in it.
I used the Elias resource to construct a CSV file of World Series Rosters. Spritze is helping me to finalize it. The file should be available this weekend (I hope).
pstrickert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 12:21 PM   #12
Terpripken
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pstrickert View Post
I used the Elias resource to construct a CSV file of World Series Rosters. Spritze is helping me to finalize it. The file should be available this weekend (I hope).

Oh wow! That's fantastic. Thank you so much for doing that.

I'm sure others in the OOTP community and the baseball world in general will appreciate your efforts as well. I can't thank you enough, this is going to save me TONS of time, and allow me to move along my dynasty at a much quicker pace.
Old 01-25-2011, 12:36 PM   #13
Terpripken
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skunkle333 View Post

I forgot to mention that I saved my A Shot at Redemption dynasty as a quickstart. I would be more than happy to share the file with the community.

You may wish to change the teams, schedule, and format some if it isn't to your liking. However...the main thing that this quickstart would do for you is have the tournament seedings set up correctly. If you allow the game to set up the bracket using the "customize playoff " feature it will do weird things like have a #1 seed play a #2 seed in the second round and other strange things.

I also have a quickstart set up for a 256 team "Greatest Teams of All-Time" tournament. This includes great teams who won World Series, teams who made it to the postseason and eventually lost, and other teams who had great regular season records but never made it to postseason (1954 Yankees for example). It is very similar to Soloner's quickstart, but contains twice as many teams and is based on Pythagorean records as well.

I'll have to check if that one needs any tweeking, but I don't mind sharing that as well.
Old 01-25-2011, 06:24 PM   #14
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

I found the New York Times article on the 1922 World Series, though I don't have the link handy at the moment. I'm still trying to find the one for the 1921 World Series.

(I'm searching the archives for info related to the distribution of the gate receipts for each World Series, but as it happens that endeavour ends up finding things useful to others. )
Old 01-26-2011, 12:20 AM   #15
pstrickert
Hall Of Famer

The World Series Rosters file is now available at PadresFan's site (under OOTP Misc.).
pstrickert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 09:10 PM   #16
skunkle333
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by pstrickert View Post
The World Series Rosters file is now available at PadresFan's site (under OOTP Misc.).
Thanks Paul. Great stuff.