Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: Historical Simulations
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2006, 08:32 PM   #1
CHCfan
All Star Starter

Expansion - I just want it to happen . . .

No bells or whistles, no fancy draft, I don't even care if the new teams get the "right" expansion players, especially since all my imported rookies go into a draft anyway. In my historical league (started w/ TF's 1901 quickstart) I am approaching the time in MLB history where they began to add franchises. I plan on taking over a team in the early 21st century after an alternate MLB history has occured.

So basically, by 2006 I want 30 teams (with real life team names/cities/etc). I am not a historical perfectionist though, I don't care if it's messy 1960-1998, I just want a believable 100 years of stats and a stable league alignment.

If you haven't read this whole post, that's fine, here's the only important sentence : What's the easiest way to add a team, disregarding realistic, careful expansion?

Thanks.
CHCfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 11:52 PM   #2
Tiger Fan
Hall Of Famer

There is just one way to add a team - from the edit league structure screen - so I assume by add a team you mean populate it with players. If so, here is a quick method I used:

After I created my new expansion teams I would (in commissioner mode) go to the free agent pool and assign all the free agents to the expansion teams. I had free agency turned off so there were only a couple of dozen free agents in there at any time if I recall correctly but that gave the expansion teams a base of players.

Next I went to every team in the league and manually moved 2 or 3 minor leaguers (or reserve roster if not playing with minor leagues) to each of the expansion teams. This can be done very quickly in commissioner mode simply by going to the player editor page and changing his team to your expansion club.

I think the whole process took about 15 minutes for each year of expansion.

Last edited by Tiger Fan; 07-10-2006 at 11:53 PM.
Tiger Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 12:38 AM   #3
CHCfan
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Fan
There is just one way to add a team - from the edit league structure screen - so I assume by add a team you mean populate it with players. If so, here is a quick method I used:

After I created my new expansion teams I would (in commissioner mode) go to the free agent pool and assign all the free agents to the expansion teams. I had free agency turned off so there were only a couple of dozen free agents in there at any time if I recall correctly but that gave the expansion teams a base of players.

Next I went to every team in the league and manually moved 2 or 3 minor leaguers (or reserve roster if not playing with minor leagues) to each of the expansion teams. This can be done very quickly in commissioner mode simply by going to the player editor page and changing his team to your expansion club.

I think the whole process took about 15 minutes for each year of expansion.
Cool, thanks, TF. That sounds like what I'm looking for.
Old 07-11-2006, 03:20 AM   #4
rdklein
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHCfan
Cool, thanks, TF. That sounds like what I'm looking for.
First time I saw that pic in your sig...

dude, thats friggin hilarious. gj
rdklein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 04:19 AM   #5
Jeremy Weimer
Hall Of Famer

I'm just about to 1961 so this will come in handy for me as well.
Jeremy Weimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 10:06 AM   #6
CHCfan
All Star Starter

On a related topic, is there an easier way to assign players to a team than to offer them all contracts and wait a few days?
Old 07-11-2006, 11:50 AM   #7
BadluckinOOTP
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHCfan
On a related topic, is there an easier way to assign players to a team than to offer them all contracts and wait a few days?
If you're in commissioner mode, go to the edit tab, and where it says the team they play for, click the down arrow, and the list of all the teams will come up and assign them where you'd like.
Old 07-11-2006, 12:22 PM   #8
CHCfan
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadluckinOOTP
If you're in commissioner mode, go to the edit tab, and where it says the team they play for, click the down arrow, and the list of all the teams will come up and assign them where you'd like.
Ah, I never would have thought to try the edit tab. Thanks a bunch.
Old 07-11-2006, 12:30 PM   #9
Tiger Fan
Hall Of Famer

sorry I wasn't clear. By player editor I meant the edit tab.
Tiger Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 07:32 PM   #10
Swimmer
Minors (Double A)

An Alternate Method

When I expand, I always add the team a year early, but don't schedule any games for them. So, for the 1960 season, I go ahead and add the Angels and the new Senators, but I don't click the generate schedule button.

That way, the teams exist, but sit out the year. They participate in the winter meetings and the ammy draft. At the beginning of 1961, I generate a schedule that includes the new teams. Then I add the Mets and the Colt .45s, but don't schedule them for the 1961 season, and the process repeats. Generally, the teams can fill their own rosters through free agency and the ammy draft.
Old 07-12-2006, 08:12 PM   #11
BadluckinOOTP
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmer
When I expand, I always add the team a year early, but don't schedule any games for them. So, for the 1960 season, I go ahead and add the Angels and the new Senators, but I don't click the generate schedule button.

That way, the teams exist, but sit out the year. They participate in the winter meetings and the ammy draft. At the beginning of 1961, I generate a schedule that includes the new teams. Then I add the Mets and the Colt .45s, but don't schedule them for the 1961 season, and the process repeats. Generally, the teams can fill their own rosters through free agency and the ammy draft.
I tried that as well, but it bothered me having a team 0-0 on my standings screen. To each their own though, I suppose.
Old 07-12-2006, 08:39 PM   #12
CHCfan
All Star Starter

Quote:

Funny, that's what I actually did. On accident, though . Since I was simming years at a time, I didn't really mind the 0-0 records in tha standings. I like this method.
Old 07-13-2006, 12:06 AM   #13
Swimmer
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadluckinOOTP
I tried that as well, but it bothered me having a team 0-0 on my standings screen. To each their own though, I suppose.
It would bother me less if the 0-0 records sorted to the bottom of the standings like they're supposed to, rather than sitting in the middle of the standings for some weird reason.
Old 07-13-2006, 12:59 AM   #14
BadluckinOOTP
All Star Starter

Quote:
It would bother me less if the 0-0 records sorted to the bottom of the standings like they're supposed to, rather than sitting in the middle of the standings for some weird reason.

Yeah, that would help. And I'd also be afraid if in 1998 i added the D'Backs or the Devil Rays, and that season the division was really bad, and their .500 record (at 0-0) won them the division.
Old 08-21-2006, 07:54 PM   #15
Dr. P.R. Park III
All Star Reserve

Quote:

I did this, and for some reason, my game still schedules games for my expansion teams, even though I don't physically click on the generate schedule button. Is there an option I perhaps have checked in the set up that is allowing this? Thanks
Dr. P.R. Park III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 07:58 PM   #16
andymac
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. P.R. Park III
I did this, and for some reason, my game still schedules games for my expansion teams, even though I don't physically click on the generate schedule button. Is there an option I perhaps have checked in the set up that is allowing this? Thanks

It probably depends on when you add the team. You want to add the teams after the game generates the schedule for the season.

FTB: andymac
andymac is offline   Reply With Quote