Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > Perfect Team

Perfect Team Discover the new amazing online league competition & card collecting mode of OOTP!

Old 03-12-2019, 06:33 PM   #41
zrog2000
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcin View Post
I think these franken parks are a bad idea. It makes the game more like a video game than real baseball. I know my park is distorted too, but I don't like the rule. I think they should all be park factor = 1.000.
That's no fun. It is a video game. You could say the same thing about having 18 Mookie Betts in every league and dead players playing.
zrog2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 06:35 PM   #42
zrog2000
All Star Starter

Quote:
The new card list has made me second-guess my strategy for the next version. I think free-to-play might be the best idea because it will take literally thousands of dollars to be competitive in PT2.0's perfect league.
That's kind of funny that you finally saw the point I started making in week 2 or 3.

It's either all or nothing. Spending $50 just makes your team a whale punching bag. The extra league level will help for sure.
Old 03-12-2019, 06:35 PM   #43
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdog512 View Post
Yea, I'm think maybe $20 buy for some packs and $20 for a few smart AH buys or to flip a few cards then all packs with points earned and let the chips fall where they may.
Yes, that's what I was thinking also. I may spend a little more early on packs and save all of the 2019 Live cards for later when the "rookie card" craze hits. Remember selling those Upper Deck Ken Griffey's for $45-50 per card?
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 06:37 PM   #44
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zrog2000 View Post
That's kind of funny that you finally saw the point I started making in week 2 or 3.

It's either all or nothing. Spending $50 just makes your team a whale punching bag.
Week 2 hasn't happened yet. I am talking about version 2, not the current version.
Old 03-12-2019, 06:40 PM   #45
zrog2000
All Star Starter

Quote:
Week 2 hasn't happened yet. I am talking about version 2, not the current version.
I meant week 2 after PT 1 was released. And there's not going to be any drastic changes about being in-between a FTP and a whale.
Old 03-12-2019, 06:40 PM   #46
Zorro
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Yea, I'm think maybe $20 buy for some packs and $20 for a few smart AH buys or to flip a few cards then all packs with points earned and let the chips fall where they may.

You are right, the top cards are going to be insanely expensive and very powerful to have.
Yeah, I don’t See going over $10,000 myself. Until I get to the Perfect league anyway.😉
Zorro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 06:40 PM   #47
mcdog512
Hall Of Famer

Location: Pack Robert Gibson; November 9, 1935 – October 2, 2020
Quote:
Yes, that's what I was thinking also. I may spend a little more early on packs and save all of the 2019 Live cards for later when the "rookie card" craze hits. Remember selling those Upper Deck Ken Griffey's for $45-50 per card?

Yea, the live cards will be a game within a game. With that and tournaments there looks to be alot of fun to be had, just not dominating perfect, although another league like you setup in 19 at whatever level could be fun and as long as it has a low enough cap would negate the super high end cards perhaps.
mcdog512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 06:42 PM   #48
mcdog512
Hall Of Famer

Location: Pack Robert Gibson; November 9, 1935 – October 2, 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorro View Post
Yeah, I don’t See going over $10,000 myself. Until I get to the Perfect league anyway.😉

Let us know what it's like in that rarified air!
mcdog512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 06:44 PM   #49
Zorro
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Let us know what it's like in that rarified air!
Lol, I will see you there.😁
Old 03-12-2019, 07:14 PM   #50
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I meant week 2 after PT 1 was released. And there's not going to be any drastic changes about being in-between a FTP and a whale.
You really need to let the competitive balance thread go. Surely we are past that by now.
Old 03-12-2019, 07:16 PM   #51
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
That's no fun. It is a video game. You could say the same thing about having 18 Mookie Betts in every league and dead players playing.
Yeah, I think that's my problem in a nutshell. I actually thought I was playing a baseball simulation. But Perfect Team has fallen way short of my standards for a baseball simulation so far. It plays a lot more like a video game, which is not what I wanted it to be.
Old 03-12-2019, 07:25 PM   #52
Zorro
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Yeah, I think that's my problem in a nutshell. I actually thought I was playing a baseball simulation. But Perfect Team has fallen way short of my standards for a baseball simulation so far. It plays a lot more like a video game, which is not what I wanted it to be.
This is a lot easier then any video game. I could never compete with anyone in a video game. I still have a little bit of my mind but I got no reflexes so If I had to compete in a video game I would never get out of the Bronze league . 😁
Old 03-12-2019, 07:53 PM   #53
Dunzie
All Star Reserve

Seriously I can't figure this out. I have never had a season under .500 with my Blue Gryphons and suddenly they're a .364 team??

I'm torn whether to start replacing players from my reserve roster... but these guys HAVE to rebound at some point don't they???
Dunzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 08:39 PM   #54
Nyflamingos
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
I think these franken parks are a bad idea. It makes the game more like a video game than real baseball. I know my park is distorted too, but I don't like the rule. I think they should all be park factor = 1.000.

I use to always have mine set to 1.0 but have been playing around with it ... but i think allowing park factor changes makes pt more realistic as opposed to more video game like.... all ballparks are not the same... so by allowing people to be righty friendly ... pitcher friendly... gap hitter friendly .. etc .. i think is realistic ... it also throws an extra element into the game .. if all ball parks were the same ... then that would have more lineups looking the same .. and more times than not the better team would win ... with some parks favoring different things one can build a team around that and beat an overall better team on paper

I like it ... even though it sucks when youre gone all day and you know youre going to be punished playing zorros team when you cant change your lineup for his stadium ... go back to neutral Zorro .. it was easier for me then... even though i couldnt beat you then either .. maybe my middle name is really "don" and im just at your mercy
Nyflamingos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 08:56 PM   #55
Zorro
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyflamingos View Post
I use to always have mine set to 1.0 but have been playing around with it ... but i think allowing park factor changes makes pt more realistic as opposed to more video game like.... all ballparks are not the same... so by allowing people to be righty friendly ... pitcher friendly... gap hitter friendly .. etc .. i think is realistic ... it also throws an extra element into the game .. if all ball parks were the same ... then that would have more lineups looking the same .. and more times than not the better team would win ... with some parks favoring different things one can build a team around that and beat an overall better team on paper

I like it ... even though it sucks when youre gone all day and you know youre going to be punished playing zorros team when you cant change your lineup for his stadium ... go back to neutral Zorro .. it was easier for me then... even though i couldnt beat you then either .. maybe my middle name is really "don" and im just at your mercy
If you did not have to go to work you would kill me my friend. Being retired is a bigger advantage then having good cards. You have a life to worry about, I just have this. 😁
Old 03-12-2019, 09:09 PM   #56
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorro View Post
If you did not have to go to work you would kill me my friend. Being retired is a bigger advantage then having good cards. You have a life to worry about, I just have this. 😁
I am retired and I would be doing much better if I had better cards.
Old 03-12-2019, 11:02 PM   #57
joehart
All Star Starter

I looked into this when it was .800 and 1.200 during the early beta.

here is what I wrote at the time....
If we grabbed all the MLB stadiums and looked at their differences, the average (mean) difference of all stadiums favoring LHBs would be closer to .150 and even less of an average (mean) that favors RHBs.
Considering that we have 2-3 extreme stadiums, the median of all stadiums is even less than the .150.
In other words, setting anything above .150 difference means you are quickly moving towards an extreme or very rare real life stadium.

So based on this, this league looks more like a fictional world than reality.
We just don't have that many extreme parks in the majors.

I am not saying one is better than the other (realistic vs fictional parks). I am glad the developers adjusted it down to .900 and 1.100 and allow us to make changes to the ballparks. It cost me lots of games but it adds another option that allows weaker teams to compete.

Personally, I think I still think it is players that are the difference makers. Get a few of the right names and you are guaranteed to get 3-5 WAR from them each season. Add enough WAR and you bought yourself a playoff spot.
joehart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 11:38 PM   #58
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by joehart View Post
Personally, I think I still think it is players that are the difference makers. Get a few of the right names and you are guaranteed to get 3-5 WAR from them each season. Add enough WAR and you bought yourself a playoff spot.
I agree with this. However, even having the best players won't keep you out of the cellar in some seasons, much less guarantee a playoff spot.

The mode is extremely unpredictable. I understand why the game has so much volatility in terms of team and player performance. It is working as intended. But I like to feel as if my actions have some impact on the results, and the mode does not give me that satisfaction.

If I make a mistake and put Patrick Corbin in the rotation in this league, then I deserve to lose. But when I correct that mistake and put 93 Greg Maddux in his place, I expect to see improvement. Unfortunately, this mode doesn't work that way. My 93 Greg Maddux could have a 5+ ERA and be no better than Corbin. Look at my team if you don't believe me.

Money helps because you can get better players, but it doesn't matter if you can't count on those better players to deliver predictable results.

I wanted to give this mode a fair evaluation before I drew a conclusion. I did listen to people talking about competitive balance and level playing fields, and I experimented with this league in an attempt to evaluate that. In the end, my conclusion is that the mode is pure chaos. Things that don't exist in the real baseball world such as all-lefty rotations and parks that have 150% more doubles combined with 10% fewer homers only serve to exaggerate the random results. I can't wait to see how the lefty opener and righty follower strategies will spice up the gumbo.

Obviously, money separates the strong teams from the weak ones. But among relatively comparable teams, the outcomes are still not always controlled by the player's actions. We have seen managers have terrible seasons and then come back with a playoff team having made no changes (me). There is too much pure dice rolling for my taste, and I am not sure I want to pay to throw those dice next time around. I am not trying to convince anyone else. I just felt like sharing my thoughts as the clock winds down on version 1. Maybe it's just frustration talking, but I am stone sober so we can't blame liquor for this rant.
Old 03-13-2019, 12:01 AM   #59
pappyzan
All Star Reserve

Good times in the AC so far. Perugia and the Dragons are killing it, everybody else is racking up Ls.
pappyzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 12:21 AM   #60
joehart
All Star Starter

I think PT v1 has been a success for the company and made it easy for anyone to play out their fantasies of owning the various superstars from the past.
But with dedicated development time I believe it will continue to evolve and get better. We may not see some of your concerns addressed right away but more features and changes may drive it in a direction to where it does not feel like playing a dice based game. *fingers crossed.

I just hope some of my concern regarding outlier cards (too good compared to the rest) gets a second look and addressed before v2.
I really don’t want to play in a league when 5 perfect SP pitcher cards can let me cruise control to trophies vs. 90% of the competition.

I never tried playing in a fictional online league. I may try that if I can find a league and similar minded folks to enjoy it.
Anyone with prior experience in seasonal leagues?

joehart is offline   Reply With Quote