Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > Perfect Team

Perfect Team Perfect Team 2.0 - The online revolution continues! Battle thousands of PT managers from all over the world and become a legend.

Old 10-08-2019, 12:40 PM   #1
daves
Hall Of Famer

Hold Runners rating?

Is there a pitching stat showing how many stolen bases and caught steals against a certain pitcher? I know there is a catcher stat, but I want to review the relevance of the Hold runners rating on the pitching card.

daves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 12:43 PM   #2
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Look at the pitcher stats and change the view to opponent's batting stats.
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 12:43 PM   #3
Argonaut
All Star Starter

Pitching Stats --> View --> Opponent Batting Stats
Argonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 01:48 PM   #4
chazzycat
All Star Starter

wow, I didn't know about that view. Cool.

Just checked my staff and am not finding much of a pattern between HOLD rating and CS%. Here are the numbers (minimum 5k batters faced in perfect level)

Johan Santana - 90 HOLD rating - 34.1% CS
Willie Hernandez - 87 HOLD rating - 33.8% CS
Warren Spahn - 79 HOLD rating - 34% CS
Max Scherzer - 68 HOLD rating - 32.1% CS
Garland Braxton - 63 HOLD rating - 34.9 % CS
Whit Wyatt - 63 HOLD rating - 33.6% CS
Dennis Eckersley - 59 HOLD rating - 40% CS

At first it looks like the pattern you expect to see, but then Braxton & Eckersley are notable outliers. Two out of three expected to be the worst, are actually the best, so that's kind of crazy.

I prioritize the hold runner rating pretty highly...maybe some teams with more extreme low ratings will show more of a pattern.
chazzycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 01:54 PM   #5
brrrdt1
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chazzycat View Post
wow, I didn't know about that view. Cool.

Just checked my staff and am not finding much of a pattern between HOLD rating and CS%. Here are the numbers (minimum 5k batters faced in perfect level)

Johan Santana - 90 HOLD rating - 34.1% CS
Willie Hernandez - 87 HOLD rating - 33.8% CS
Warren Spahn - 79 HOLD rating - 34% CS
Max Scherzer - 68 HOLD rating - 32.1% CS
Garland Braxton - 63 HOLD rating - 34.9 % CS
Whit Wyatt - 63 HOLD rating - 33.6% CS
Dennis Eckersley - 59 HOLD rating - 40% CS

At first it looks like the pattern you expect to see, but then Braxton & Eckersley are notable outliers. Two out of three expected to be the worst, are actually the best, so that's kind of crazy.

I prioritize the hold runner rating pretty highly...maybe some teams with more extreme low ratings will show more of a pattern.
That doesn't necessarily seem like the best way to evaluate the hold rating. Wouldn't you actually need to know how many SBs are attempted on average vs how many are attempted on an individual pitcher? Presumably, hold runner actually discourages SB attempts, but I'm not sure it follows that it would have any impact on how many SB attempts fail.

brrrdt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 02:01 PM   #6
Argonaut
All Star Starter

Maybe a good combo to have is a pitcher with low holding and a catcher with high arm strength. The 'ol Maddux/Pudge combo.

I checked my Maddux with 7 Hold, and he has had a 67% SB success against him over many seasons, which seems pretty average. I've mostly had good catchers on that team.
Argonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 02:05 PM   #7
chazzycat
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brrrdt1 View Post
Wouldn't you actually need to know how many SBs are attempted on average vs how many are attempted on an individual pitcher? Presumably, hold runner actually discourages SB attempts, but I'm not sure it follows that it would have any impact on how many SB attempts fail.
then I think you just end up measuring which pitchers have the best opponents OBP.
Old 10-08-2019, 02:11 PM   #8
daves
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brrrdt1 View Post
That doesn't necessarily seem like the best way to evaluate the hold rating. Wouldn't you actually need to know how many SBs are attempted on average vs how many are attempted on an individual pitcher? Presumably, hold runner actually discourages SB attempts, but I'm not sure it follows that it would have any impact on how many SB attempts fail.
There is a saying in baseball that a stolen base is on the Pitcher not the Catcher. Also, lack of holding runners may allow for higher base running success. I am not sure OOTP depicts this or not?

Perfect Greg Maddux is an awesome card, but do teams run on him well since he has a 17 hold runner rating?

Old 10-08-2019, 04:03 PM   #9
Dogberry99
All Star Starter

Quote:
At first it looks like the pattern you expect to see, but then Braxton & Eckersley are notable outliers.
I'd be curious to learn if Braxton's left handedness played any role in either the performance or the rating itself.

Primary Team

Collection Rewards (Cards & Packs) F2P Theme Team

Movers F2P Theme and Adam Schlesinger Memorial Team
Dogberry99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 04:24 PM   #10
chazzycat
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by daves View Post
There is a saying in baseball that a stolen base is on the Pitcher not the Catcher.
It's actually one of the quotes they show in-game during loading screens.

"When you steal a base, 99 percent of the time you steal on a pitcher. You actually never steal on a catcher". - Lou Brock
Old 10-08-2019, 04:37 PM   #11
daves
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
It's actually one of the quotes they show in-game during loading screens.

"When you steal a base, 99 percent of the time you steal on a pitcher. You actually never steal on a catcher". - Lou Brock

LOL. If Lou said it, it must be true!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by daves; 10-09-2019 at 02:06 PM.