Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager 4 > FHM 4 - Technical Support

FHM 4 - Technical Support Need help or want to report a bug? This is the right place.

Old 02-06-2018, 06:51 AM   #1
sk78
Minors (Triple A)

incorrect player names in csv files

I got a question regarding the csv files.

Is there a particular reason why the csv files don't spit out the player names 100% accurately?
This goes for players from countries which are using diacritical characters (I believe that's the correct term...), especially Czechs, Slovaks, Latvians and others.

One example:
The player Filip Lestan (ID: 33084) is written in the game Filip Lešťan. But in the csv file he is written Filip Leštan. That's a very small difference visually, still enough to make a file (player photo or facegen) not work if not having it exactly correct.

That means if I want to name a player photo correctly I have to open my browser, search for that player i.e. in wikipedia, copy his name, go back to the file and rename the player by pasting his name in.
Now imagine doing this several hundred times...

Bottom line is: it would be huge time saver for a modder if the csv file would have the player names accurate. Is there a chance that this will be corrected at some point? Or is this just here on my end? What's up with that?

thx
sk78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 08:38 AM   #2
Alessandro
Hall Of Famer

That may be a problem with your excel codification, rather than a game's glitch.
Alessandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 08:51 AM   #3
sk78
Minors (Triple A)

Hmm, certainly could be the case.
I'm using OpenOffice on a Windows system for that. This should be able to handle that. It definitely can handle those characters, because I'm changing the wrong names into the correct version and that's no problem.

EDIT:
Could anybody please report if it's the same for him or not? thx

Last edited by sk78; 02-06-2018 at 10:02 AM.
Old 02-07-2018, 05:17 AM   #4
JeffR
FHM Producer

Try changing the character set for the csv file when you save it in OpenOffice (save as, then check the Edit filter settings box, then you'll get the option on the "Field Options" popup. I think one of the Unicode options will get it to match the game, but it may require a little trial-and-error. Failing that, one of the Eastern European sets may work.)
JeffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 09:13 AM   #5
sk78
Minors (Triple A)

Thank you very much, Jeff!

After sorting the players alphabetical (that's how it is most useful to me) I have saved it in OpenOffice's own .ods format, and that didn't allow me to change the character settings anymore. Now that I resaved it to the .csv format I got all that options back.

Unicode UTF-8 seems to cover most of the characters. Still doesn't work for some Latvian guys i.e. Kaspars Daugaviņš
See that little thing under the n ?
I can't get that to work even with the Baltic sets, which is strange to me. But nevertheless, this is much better now and will speed things up a bit.

Thanks again!
Old 02-08-2018, 12:54 AM   #6
JeffR
FHM Producer

Try the ISO-8859-1 set, Eliteprospects uses it and they seem to be able to render the weird n.
JeffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 08:08 AM   #7
sk78
Minors (Triple A)

Thanks once more Jeff, highly appreciated!
But still... lol

I'm starting to believe that this is an OpenOffice issue. But I also don't wanna exclude the possibility that it's me still doing something wrong while importing/exporting.
However, now I know where the problem is and I'm pretty sure I'll figure it out sooner or later. And I still have the option to save several files with different sets.
I also contacted my brother (who has Excel) and sent him the files, so he can check out if this is an exclusive problem with OpenOffice.

Thanks for helping me out and showing me the right path, Jeff. That's the reason why I bought FHM4 even though I'm not playing it lol.
You really care 'bout your folks and this deserves to be rewarded
Old 02-22-2018, 05:51 AM   #8
sk78
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessandro View Post
That may be a problem with your excel codification, rather than a game's glitch.
@ Alessandro
Does your comment mean that you're able to display all the player names correctly in your .csv files?

Last edited by sk78; 02-22-2018 at 09:29 AM.
Old 02-23-2018, 11:13 AM   #9
Alessandro
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk78 View Post
@ Alessandro
Does your comment mean that you're able to display all the player names correctly in your .csv files?
No, never tried. Just trying to get some ideas
Alessandro is offline   Reply With Quote