Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 19 - General Discussions Everything about the 2018 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Closed Thread

Old 02-05-2018, 08:02 PM   #1
joejccva71
Minors (Double A)

Can we talk to our players and coaches?

Coaching them up, discussing future roles, and other things. More interaction with players and coaches would be nice and add immersion.
Old 02-05-2018, 09:35 PM   #2
MrBojangles
All Star Reserve

I thought I was too invested in my players. I don't try to talk to them though... They're only imaginary computer creations...
Old 02-05-2018, 09:38 PM   #3
msupoke
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
I thought I was too invested in my players. I don't try to talk to them though... They're only imaginary computer creations...
Right. Talking to them would be crazy, or at least that is what they told me.
Old 02-05-2018, 09:46 PM   #4
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
Too much like real work IMO.

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
Old 02-05-2018, 09:49 PM   #5
Jerry Helper
Major Leagues

I spend way too much time as it is looking at their leadership and greed qualities, while trying to figure out why they're angry. That's enough for me
Old 02-05-2018, 10:57 PM   #6
msupoke
All Star Reserve

If they eventually add female players, this suggestion will die a quick death.
Old 02-06-2018, 08:35 AM   #7
joejccva71
Minors (Double A)

Why is having interaction with players a bad idea?
Old 02-06-2018, 09:00 AM   #8
Mr. Marlin
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by msupoke View Post
If they eventually add female players, this suggestion will die a quick death.
I spit coffee all over my screen when I read this!
Old 02-06-2018, 09:10 AM   #9
Mr. Marlin
All Star Starter

I don't know about players but I do think interacting with the Manager (if you are the GM) or the coaches (if you are the Manager) does offer some interesting and low cost opportunities to increase the immersion into the game.

For example if a certain player is causing clubhouse chemistry problems as a GM I might ask the Manager to to talk to that player. Perhaps, depending on the manager's skill the problem will get better or worse as a in-game consequence. As a Manager I might ask my Pitching Coach to work with a pitcher to develop a new pitch or improve an existing one with the in-game consequence that depending on the pitcher's work ethic or intelligence the pitch improves. Perhaps the rest of the staff takes a small performance penalty because the PC is focusing on one guy. If I'm playing as the manager it would be nice to ask the GM to aquire a player to fill a deficiency.

These are just some examples. It would be unusual I think for a GM to interact with players like that. But GMs and Managers and their coaches interact literally everyday. I think that would be easy to implement and really add to immersion in the game for the player.
Old 02-06-2018, 09:12 AM   #10
joejccva71
Minors (Double A)

Hmm, sorry I thought it was a legitimate idea to help improve immersion and a deeper experience. Right now as it is players could be unhappy, but there isn't anything you can do about it because there are no team talks, player interactions or anything like that.

So instead of taking what I said seriously, people are trolling? Is this the community?

MrMarlin: I created my post before you created your last one. Thank you for the response.

Last edited by joejccva71; 02-06-2018 at 09:15 AM.
Old 02-06-2018, 09:50 AM   #11
Calvert98
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Marlin View Post
I don't know about players but I do think interacting with the Manager (if you are the GM) or the coaches (if you are the Manager) does offer some interesting and low cost opportunities to increase the immersion into the game.

For example if a certain player is causing clubhouse chemistry problems as a GM I might ask the Manager to to talk to that player. Perhaps, depending on the manager's skill the problem will get better or worse as a in-game consequence. As a Manager I might ask my Pitching Coach to work with a pitcher to develop a new pitch or improve an existing one with the in-game consequence that depending on the pitcher's work ethic or intelligence the pitch improves. Perhaps the rest of the staff takes a small performance penalty because the PC is focusing on one guy. If I'm playing as the manager it would be nice to ask the GM to aquire a player to fill a deficiency.

These are just some examples. It would be unusual I think for a GM to interact with players like that. But GMs and Managers and their coaches interact literally everyday. I think that would be easy to implement and really add to immersion in the game for the player.
This is an interesting idea. Reminds me of Wash's impact on Hatty when he was put on First Base.

The flip-side is that game likely already accounts for this under-the-hood based on the skill-set of the coaches and player attributes.

So, the flip-side in game terms if such a thing is added is that folks playing the game may feel/or think that "Why? Of course the coach would have talked with him" or "I didn't talk to him so nothing happened? That's unrealistic..." etc...I guess that's the risk anytime you add something like this.
Old 02-06-2018, 11:04 AM   #12
joejccva71
Minors (Double A)

Also, the GM and/or Manager should also talk to the media after a game, answer some questions, etc. It would make the game feel more alive and immersive as well. Would be a great touch.
Old 02-06-2018, 11:56 AM   #13
zappa1
All Star Starter

" If I'm playing as the manager it would be nice to ask the GM to aquire a player to fill a deficiency".

I mentioned this very thing last year and all I got was ridiculed and poo pooed for it. Now, I keep my suggestions to myself. It's not worth it. Just as long as they don't make me go online to play the game.
Old 02-06-2018, 12:08 PM   #14
joejccva71
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zappa1 View Post
" If I'm playing as the manager it would be nice to ask the GM to aquire a player to fill a deficiency".

I mentioned this very thing last year and all I got was ridiculed and poo pooed for it. Now, I keep my suggestions to myself. It's not worth it. Just as long as they don't make me go online to play the game.
That's a great idea too!
Old 02-06-2018, 12:39 PM   #15
Calvert98
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by zappa1 View Post

That's something that playing in manager-mode, could work and make a lot of sense.

Not sure why folks would ridicule someone for making such suggestion. I have found that these boards are an easy place to kick-back and talk about the game and such. Anyway, hopefully that was just blip and won't happen again, or at least often again.
Old 02-06-2018, 01:24 PM   #16
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by joejccva71 View Post
Hmm, sorry I thought it was a legitimate idea to help improve immersion and a deeper experience. Right now as it is players could be unhappy, but there isn't anything you can do about it because there are no team talks, player interactions or anything like that.

So instead of taking what I said seriously, people are trolling? Is this the community?

MrMarlin: I created my post before you created your last one. Thank you for the response.
Since when is disagreement trolling? Some people are way too sensitive methinks.

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
Old 02-06-2018, 01:24 PM   #17
DKimb
Bat Boy

This doesn't seem crazy to me - there are plenty of instances where a player wants to be put in the middle of the lineup but my Manager won't do it. I wish there were some way short of firing the manager for there to be some give in that back and forth.
Old 02-06-2018, 01:47 PM   #18
Shake Appeal
Minors (Double A)

This is one of the more charming aspects of Football Manager, but it's also become stilted and repetitive over the years, and I think on balance it becomes a nuisance and causes knock-on problems.

What I would like to see, rather than actual conversations, is being able to give more detailed instructions to your players and coaches. Trying to get certain players to work on certain aspects of their game, or recommend a pitcher try adding a changeup. Or negotiating with the manager over lineups if you're playing as a GM only.

That kinda stuff.
Old 02-06-2018, 01:59 PM   #19
Mr. Marlin
All Star Starter

Interacting with the media seems like a non-starter to me. It might be ok at first but there really is just nowhere for that to go. We've all seen plenty of sports interviews and I'm sure everyone has seen a pretty predictable pattern. It would become tedious.

Interacting with team staff however has real potential IMO. Especially if the interaction leads to an actual in-game outcome good or bad based on the skills of the manager/coach/player involved. Those skills should count for a lot since you pay more for them. Ask a hitting coach with poor coaching skills to help a slumping player and maybe that player will get a little worse.

There are many possibilities. Whatever outcome it should be small. A small bonus, a small penalty. Even the best coaches and managers are only good for a 3-4% bump.
Old 02-06-2018, 10:34 PM   #20
msupoke
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by joejccva71 View Post

It is a legitimate idea, and it is one that is overdue. I do like a good trolling, though.