Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 19 - General Discussions Everything about the 2018 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 01-29-2018, 03:45 PM   #1
malichai11
Minors (Triple A)

Losing player winning the World Series MVP

I really, really wish there was an option to disallow the losing player on a team winning the MVP. It isn't nearly rare enough in OOTP18 (or 17 for that matter) and it doesn't seem to happen for transcendent performances, just pretty good performances. It has only happened once in the history of the MLB and should be ridiculously rare. I just had a player hit 3 home runs in an extra inning game 7 World Series game to win the World Series and he lost the MVP to a losing player who, while playing well, absolutely didn't outplay my guy over the 7 game series, let alone the effect that performances in the final game would have on voters. I killed the process and simmed the game over and a completely different one of my players then went on to win the MVP.
malichai11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 04:13 PM   #2
thirdsaint
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by malichai11 View Post
I really, really wish there was an option to disallow the losing player on a team winning the MVP. It isn't nearly rare enough in OOTP18 (or 17 for that matter) and it doesn't seem to happen for transcendent performances, just pretty good performances. It has only happened once in the history of the MLB and should be ridiculously rare. I just had a player hit 3 home runs in an extra inning game 7 World Series game to win the World Series and he lost the MVP to a losing player who, while playing well, absolutely didn't outplay my guy over the 7 game series, let alone the effect that performances in the final game would have on voters. I killed the process and simmed the game over and a completely different one of my players then went on to win the MVP.
100% agree. And there should be an option for that and to turn them off for each playoff round. I've found the game gives the award to whoever the best performer was in that series regardless of winning or losing the series. The AI either needs to be written better or give us the option of disabling losing players from winning it. Better yet, have the commish be able to select it himself.
thirdsaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 07:59 AM   #3
T-Bone
Minors (Double A)

Exclamation

I just had this happen last night - very annoying.
T-Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 08:39 AM   #4
r0nster
Hall Of Famer

I have no problem with it as it has happened in real life .... if I recall it was the 1982 series where Paul Molitor won it demolishing any other player in the series as the cardinals didn't have any that really stood out in the series ... not 100% sure if its happened since in real life...

I should note I didn't look it up to be 100% sure if it was molitor.

Last edited by r0nster; 01-30-2018 at 08:40 AM.
r0nster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 11:47 AM   #5
swoboda
All Star Starter

I'm fine with an option to disallow it but I would hate to see it changed to never.

The late great Lindsey Nelson
swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 01:03 PM   #6
thehef
Hall Of Famer

Rather than having an option to prevent a player on the losing team from being MVP, I'm thinking - much like the logic that picks Player of the Game - more-needed would be a tweak to the logic that picks the MVP to where more weight is given to being on the winning team, and only mind-blowing performances from those on the losing team are even considered for MVP or PoG... Because losers do get series MVP, but it's rare.

Last edited by thehef; 01-30-2018 at 01:28 PM. Reason: clarity
thehef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 01:35 PM   #7
lschaef
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0nster View Post
I have no problem with it as it has happened in real life .... if I recall it was the 1982 series where Paul Molitor won it demolishing any other player in the series as the cardinals didn't have any that really stood out in the series ... not 100% sure if its happened since in real life...

I should note I didn't look it up to be 100% sure if it was molitor.
Paul Molitor won the World Series MVP in 1993, but he was on the winning team (Blue Jays).

The only time I know of the MVP coming from the team that lost the World Series was Bobby Richardson of the Yankees in 1960,

I'm fine with it happening, but I think it should be very rare.
lschaef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 04:09 PM   #8
T-Bone
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lschaef View Post
Paul Molitor won the World Series MVP in 1993, but he was on the winning team (Blue Jays).

The only time I know of the MVP coming from the team that lost the World Series was Bobby Richardson of the Yankees in 1960,

I'm fine with it happening, but I think it should be very rare.
I agree - rare as in less than 1% of the time
T-Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 06:03 PM   #9
BusterKing
Hall Of Famer

This needs to be fixed and I'm sure it's an easy one.

What's next, a participation ribbon?
BusterKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 07:54 PM   #10
Jamee999
All Star Reserve

I agree with the people saying that this happens too much in OOTP 18, but that it should happen very occasionally. The guy on the losing team needs to have an insane series, though.
Jamee999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 08:20 PM   #11
thirdsaint
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Bone View Post
I just had this happen last night - very annoying.
I'll be honest, I'm petty about it, haha. I'll see whichever team wins it all but if a loser is awarded the MVP and it's not a legit reason (seriously, the game will give the award to someone who has a slightly better batting average which amounts to one or two extra hits), I'll force close the game and keep playing it out until someone else is picked. Usually that means forcing the "loser MVP" to go 0-4 or something like that. I know, I know, it's lame, but I want realism not robot thinking!
thirdsaint is offline   Reply With Quote