Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 18 > OOTP 18 - Historical Simulations
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 18 - Historical Simulations Discuss historical simulations and their results in this forum.

Old 09-28-2017, 08:29 PM   #1
OmahaReynolds
All Star Reserve

1901 outfielders

I started up a 1901 historical league, standard import. Set it to have an inaugural fantasy draft. There are only like 14 outfielders, all with pretty horrible ratings. Anyone else notice this?
OmahaReynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 09:41 PM   #2
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmahaReynolds View Post
I started up a 1901 historical league, standard import. Set it to have an inaugural fantasy draft. There are only like 14 outfielders, all with pretty horrible ratings. Anyone else notice this?
Just created 1901. Selected fantasy draft and I see 93 outfielders.
David Watts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 09:49 PM   #3
Spritze
OOTP Historical Czar

I see 147 players who have outfielder ratings.

I am unsure what options you might have chosen to create this challenge.
Old 09-28-2017, 11:46 PM   #4
OmahaReynolds
All Star Reserve

Weird. I tried it a few times. I'll try it again, maybe I need a fresh install. I also noticed a bunch of players had no position ratings
Old 09-29-2017, 01:13 AM   #5
Spritze
OOTP Historical Czar

Quote:
I also noticed a bunch of players had no position ratings
That happens when you are missing some of the fielding file.
Old 10-07-2017, 08:11 PM   #6
OmahaReynolds
All Star Reserve

Well I reinstalled the latest version and tried again, and I’m still only getting 14 outfielders. I’m using neutralized stats. Very strange
Old 10-07-2017, 10:00 PM   #7
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Well I reinstalled the latest version and tried again, and I’m still only getting 14 outfielders. I’m using neutralized stats. Very strange
Ah, I think this might be a neutralized stats issue. I just created 1901 and I get only 22 outfielders. I then created 1901 using OOTP16 and Neutralized stats. With 16 there are 89 players rated to play LF, CF, RF and if you look at those positions individually there are even more.

Thing is, with 16 a guy like Mike Donlin is rated to play left field and 1B. 18 has him only rated to play 1B. 16 has a 20 year old Sam Crawford rated to play right field. 18 has him rated only as a 1B.

I just checked the OOTp 18 1901 league I created back when you started this thread. Using real stats Sam Crawford is rated only as a Right Fielder.
Old 10-07-2017, 11:02 PM   #8
Spritze
OOTP Historical Czar

Neutralized stats no longer really exist and most likely will be removed from the game fairly soon.

I would not advise using them.
Old 10-09-2017, 10:14 AM   #9
OmahaReynolds
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spritze View Post
Neutralized stats no longer really exist and most likely will be removed from the game fairly soon.

I would not advise using them.
This was the problem. Switched to real stats and now have plenty of outfielders. Thank you!
Old 12-24-2017, 06:52 PM   #10
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Bumping this thread in hopes that Jerry Helper views it.
Old 12-24-2017, 07:43 PM   #11
Jerry Helper
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Watts View Post
Bumping this thread in hopes that Jerry Helper views it.
So using real stars could solve my issue?
Jerry Helper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 08:13 PM   #12
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Helper View Post
So using real stars could solve my issue?
Real stats will leave Williams on the sidelines as he will have no stats to base ratings on from 1943 through 1945. Neutralized stats will fill in the gaps, but if you're playing with historical transactions, he will be sidelined. He will have stats that will give him Williams-like ratings for those seasons, but he won't be able to play because IRL he did not, and historical transactions will force him to miss the games that he missed, which is (of course) all of them. The problem is that Neutralized Stats are going the way of the dodo as Spritze said, so I'm really not sure what the best course of action is unfortunately.

Last edited by actionjackson; 12-24-2017 at 08:15 PM.
actionjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 01:36 AM   #13
Spritze
OOTP Historical Czar

There are 180 rated OF's in OOTP18 for 1901 but zero RF,CF, LF. Just OF's. Neutralized stats.

OOTP used to assign these players to the various specific OF positions automagically but may not anymore. If so this is a bug.
Old 12-25-2017, 10:50 AM   #14
Jerry Helper
Major Leagues

Quote:
There are 180 rated OF's in OOTP18 for 1901 but zero RF,CF, LF. Just OF's. Neutralized stats.

OOTP used to assign these players to the various specific OF positions automagically but may not anymore. If so this is a bug.
Is there a reason why neutralized stats are going away? Won’t that affect historical sims?
Jerry Helper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 02:14 PM   #15
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Helper View Post
Is there a reason why neutralized stats are going away? Won’t that affect historical sims?
It's because neutralized stats are impossible to do for the players in the minor league database because not enough info exists to create them. Also there are roughly ten times as many players in the minor league database than the major league one, which means it would require a herculean effort to get done. Yes it does affect historical sims (especially for those of us that use neutralized stats), but a design decision has been made and that's that. The last time they were done was for OOTP16 (I think - Spritze said they would not be done for seasons after 2014, which is where OOTP16 picked things up), so if you want to use them it's back to OOTP16. After that they're gone.
Old 12-25-2017, 05:28 PM   #16
Spritze
OOTP Historical Czar

Actually the reason is very simple. When OOTP18 was released I (not OOTP but me) had included an incorrect file which rendered neutralized stats inoperable and no users reported any issues with it for 4 months. So I asked on the forums if people used this feature at all and got less than 7 positive responses. Since it takes time to both create this mode and to test it, if ain't nobody gonna use it that would be a waste.

A minor league neutralized database would use the same formulas, all that would change is the source batting, pitching and fielding records. So really that is done.

The only real reason to dump this mode would be lack of interest. I have no actual idea if OOTP plans to expire this mode or not but I do know I at least won't be updating it and no one volunteered to take it on during OOTP18 beta. I wound up doing it at the last minute after the negro leagues got added. The file problem was just me copying the wrong one. The correct file existed, I just grabbed the wrong one. Happens.

See it is really pretty simple.
Old 01-24-2018, 03:09 PM   #17
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

bumping for Reed. I think the final response in thread will explain the issue you brought up in the other thread.
Old 01-24-2018, 10:50 PM   #18
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Actually the reason is very simple. When OOTP18 was released I (not OOTP but me) had included an incorrect file which rendered neutralized stats inoperable and no users reported any issues with it for 4 months. So I asked on the forums if people used this feature at all and got less than 7 positive responses. Since it takes time to both create this mode and to test it, if ain't nobody gonna use it that would be a waste.

A minor league neutralized database would use the same formulas, all that would change is the source batting, pitching and fielding records. So really that is done.

The only real reason to dump this mode would be lack of interest. I have no actual idea if OOTP plans to expire this mode or not but I do know I at least won't be updating it and no one volunteered to take it on during OOTP18 beta. I wound up doing it at the last minute after the negro leagues got added. The file problem was just me copying the wrong one. The correct file existed, I just grabbed the wrong one. Happens.

See it is really pretty simple.
This mode has already been expired. When you click on a player's real life neutralized stats, you will see that are no stats for the game to go on, and thus every player will import as a fencepost first baseman. Somewhat amusing, until you try to play a game with it. Can we please get this announced in a stickied thread so that people will stop wasting their time trying to play a mode that no longer exists?
Old 01-24-2018, 11:04 PM   #19
Spritze
OOTP Historical Czar

It works for me 1871-2016 in OOTP18.

There is a reported bug about the 1B thing. No one is currently positive about the cause. It is an unresolved bug that can happen in semi-rare instances.
Old 01-24-2018, 11:36 PM   #20
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
It works for me 1871-2016 in OOTP18.

There is a reported bug about the 1B thing. No one is currently positive about the cause. It is an unresolved bug that can happen in semi-rare instances.
How is it possible for neutralized stats to work when there are no neutralized stats in a player's real life stats tab? See here (first picture Ron Santo OOTP18 Neutralized Batting Stats, second picture Ron Santo OOTP16 Neutralized Batting Stats).
Attached Images
Image Image