Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager 3 > FHM 3 - Technical Support

FHM 3 - Technical Support Need help or want to report a bug? This is the right place.

Old 11-08-2016, 12:32 AM   #21
Wan6Tent
Bat Boy

Anything new? I've been waiting to start until players develop properly. I don't want to start and then have a league of all superstars or all garbage players once the original players are gone
Wan6Tent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 04:07 PM   #22
Rand
Minors (Double A)

Latest results from the newest version of FHM 3.0.65
All tests done using sandbox mode, GM unemployed and no settings adjusted besides number of leagues enabled.

At the beginning of the game, with the default database, simmed forward to opening day-
Defencemen rated 3 Star or above: 61
Defencemen rated 4.5 Star or above: 9

Forwards rated 3 Star or above: 178
Forwards rated 4.5 Star or above: 20

Goalies rated 3 Star or above: 29
Goalies rated 4.5 Star or above: 7

Team Cap space
Teams with 10M or less in cap space: 25
Teams with 20M or less in cap space: 30

So the above are the baseline conditions with the starting database. I think that hopefully things would tend to stay within +/- ~25% of these figures aside from the occasional outliers. That would imo leave a fairly large amount of variance but still ensure a league that remained recognizable and plausible.

I ran five separate simulations out to 2045, and checked the database in 2035/2040/2045 in each simulation.

The following numbers are an average of the results from the three time periods checked on each of the five simulations rounded to the nearest even number.

Example- 5 / 7 / 4 / 6 / 9
Would mean that in the first simulation the average number from the three years of 2035/2040/2045 was 5. The second simulation the average number was 7 etc etc.
Please inquire if this isn't clear, I'm doing it this way as otherwise this post would be about 10x as long as it is, and it's already going to be quite long.

Now with all leagues disabled except the AHL/NHL:

Defencemen rated 3 Star or above: 64 / 56 / 61 / 67 / 64
Defencemen rated 4.5 Star or above: 8 / 6 / 9 / 8 / 9

Forwards rated 3 Star or above: 163 / 158 / 170 / 174 / 163
Forwards rated 4.5 Star or above: 22 / 19 / 17 / 15 / 14

Goalies rated 3 Star or above: 13 / 15/ 11 / 10 / 5
Goalies rated 4.5 Star or above: 3 / 5 / 0 / 2 / 0

Team Cap space
Teams with 10M or less in cap space: 20 / 16 / 1 / 12 / 0
Teams with 20M or less in cap space: 30 / 21 / 2 / 19 / 1

So, clearly we can see teams aren't spending anywhere even close to the rate they should. But that was a known bug, so I'll leave that aside.

Defence looks very good. Forwards a tad low. Like with the last version of the game there are no issues at all here with forwards of defence. Entirely plausible results.

Goalies... unfortunately nothing has changed here either. Their still not developing properly. The goaltending talent in the league dries up as the game struggles to develop goalies.

League spending is weird, it's extremely inconsistent from one simulation to the next. One simulation everything will work perfectly and it will be ideal, next... things are much worse then the last version.
Still, on average it looks much better. But I'd advise watching salaries in the early years of any game you start as occasionally I run into sims where almost every team sits 40-50M below the salary cap.
There is definitely something weird with spending that's causing problems on maybe ~20 of games started, while the others look good.

Now, with all leagues enabled.
Again, I ran five separate simulations out to 2045, and checked the database in 2035/2040/2045 in each simulation.

Defencemen rated 3Star or above: 80 / 73 / 138 / 119 / 87
Defencemen rated 4.5 Star or above: 15 / 7 / 15 / 24 / 10

Forwards rated 3 Star or above: 247 / 212 / 292 / 267 / 231
Forwards rated 4.5 Star or above: 39 / 29 / 35 / 27 / 21

Goalies rated 3 Star or above: 22 / 21 / 25 / 20 / 25
Goalies rated 4.5 Star or above: 8 / 7 / 9 / 5 / 8

Team Cap space
Teams with 10M or less in cap space:0 / 18 / 7 / 0 / 21
Teams with 20M or less in cap space: 0 / 29 / 15 / 1 / 25

Nothing new from the last version here either... the goalies look good when all leagues are enabled. Still consistently a bit lower then at the beginning, but nothing to worry too much about.

The status quo also holds with forwards and defence, both positions develop much too well and the league becomes swamped with talent if all leagues are enabled

For spending, again like with all leagues disabled things are very inconsistent. It usually looks good, occasionally I run a simulation where nobody spends more then 40M below the cap and superstars make 4-5M at most.
It's inconsistent. One run everything is perfect, next the salaries are completely broken.
All I can suggest is watching things early on, if things look broken start a new sim and it'll probably have fixed itself. Most sims everything is fine.

Basic synopsis:
No real difference from last version, player development still needs significant work as it's incapable of creating a plausible league long term.
Goaltenders- Develop extremely poorly with only NHL/AHL enabled. Develop a tad low with the full set of leagues enabled.
Defence- Looks good with only NHL/AHL enabled. Develop much too well with all leagues enabled.
Forwards- Looks good with only NHL/AHL enabled. Develop far far too well with all leagues enabled.

Spending- Some sort of bug is causing some simulations to have incredibly low spending. Most simulations look good though. The broken spending happens maybe 20% of the time, so just check things out early on and restart if you see problems. The majority of the time, contract demands and team spending seems to work properly now. Huge improvement over the last version, the development team did great work on this aspect to get things looking much better.

Last edited by Rand; 11-10-2016 at 04:09 PM. Reason: Added synopsis for those who just want a quick explanation of what does/doesn't work.
Rand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 02:45 PM   #23
Rand
Minors (Double A)

As usual, as soon as I finish testing one version they release another one.
I'll run the usual sims with the latest version (3.0.74).

Anyone want me to look into anything in particular as far as the long term conditions of the game are concerned?
Old 11-11-2016, 02:53 PM   #24
SirMichaelJordan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rand View Post
As usual, as soon as I finish testing one version they release another one.
I'll run the usual sims with the latest version (3.0.74).

Anyone want me to look into anything in particular as far as the long term conditions of the game are concerned?
Maybe where the talent is coming from as far as a Nation?

And roster management. How well are teams being built.
SirMichaelJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 03:18 PM   #25
Nino33
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirMichaelJordan View Post
I agree/good idea!
Nino33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 09:22 PM   #26
jwr38
Minors (Single A)

when are player playing their first season. (draft layout ... how many low draft picks play in their first season).
Old 11-20-2016, 10:18 PM   #27
Rand
Minors (Double A)

Latest results from the newest version of FHM 3.0.76
All tests done using sandbox mode, GM unemployed and no settings adjusted besides number of leagues enabled.

At the beginning of the game, with the default database, simmed forward to opening day-

Team Cap space

So the above are the baseline conditions with the starting database. I think that hopefully things would tend to stay within +/- ~25% of these figures aside from the occasional outliers. That would imo leave a fairly large amount of variance but still ensure a league that remained recognizable and plausible.

I ran five separate simulations out to 2045, and checked the database in 2035/2040/2045 in each simulation.

The following numbers are an average of the results from the three time periods checked on each of the five simulations rounded to the nearest even number.

Would mean that in the first simulation the average number from the three years of 2035/2040/2045 was 5. The second simulation the average number was 7 etc etc.
Please inquire if this isn't clear, I'm doing it this way as otherwise this post would be about 10x as long as it is, and it's already going to be quite long.

With all leagues disabled except the AHL/NHL:

Defencemen rated 3 Star or above: 73 / 61 / 68 / 73 / 60
Defencemen rated 4.5 Star or above: 7 / 7 / 8 / 10 / 6

Forwards rated 3 Star or above: 157 / 157 / 160 / 163 / 167
Forwards rated 4.5 Star or above: 11 / 16 / 14 / 18 / 20

Goalies rated 3 Star or above: 19 / 15 / 6 / 13 / 12
Goalies rated 4.5 Star or above: 9 / 7 / 1 / 3 / 2

Team Cap space
Teams with 10M or less in cap space: 18 / 7 / 4 / 7 / 2
Teams with 20M or less in cap space: 29 / 15 / 8 / 20 / 11

So, clearly we can see teams aren't spending anywhere even close to the rate they should. But that was a known bug, so I'll leave that aside.

Defence looks good, no problems here. Forwards are perhaps a little low, but not enough too be concerned about. With all leagues except the NHL disabled our results for Forwards and Defence still remain reasonable.
With Goalies, the results are still the same as before and as we've seen they don't develop properly.

League spending as with the last version can be very inconsistent.
I'm frustrated by how regular an occurance it is to see teams sitting a good 40M below the salary cap. It's a pretty regular thing to see at least one team a yr spending 30M less then the minimum you're even allowed to spend in reality.
That aside, things still look way better here then they used to.
I just have a pet peeve about how low the lowest spending teams can get.

With all leagues enabled:
Again, I ran five separate simulations out to 2045, and checked the database in 2035/2040/2045 in each simulation.

Defencemen rated 3Star or above: 95 / 84 / 116 / 148 / 101
Defencemen rated 4.5 Star or above: 14 / 8 / 17 / 33 / 19

Forwards rated 3 Star or above: 291 / 231 / 319 / 302 / 246
Forwards rated 4.5 Star or above: 22 / 20 / 29 / 36 / 25

Goalies rated 3 Star or above: 17 / 19 / 24 / 19 / 18
Goalies rated 4.5 Star or above: 7 / 10 / 6 / 8 / 5

Team Cap space
Teams with 10M or less in cap space: 7 / 17 / 8 / 1 / 19
Teams with 20M or less in cap space: 22 / 25 / 17 / 5 / 23

Nothing new from the last version here either... the goalies look alright with all leagues enabled. Still consistently a bit lower then at the beginning, but nothing to worry too much about.

The status quo also holds with forwards and defence, both positions develop much too well and the league becomes swamped with talent if all leagues are enabled

For spending, again inconsistent from one sim to another and the lowest spending teams are very low. But it can often look pretty decent. Even at it's peak it will never be as high as reality but it's reasonable enough considering the AI probably needs a larger amount of free space then real GM's do to ensure they don't make any extremely unrealistic cap saving trades/waiver moves.

Basic synopsis:
No real difference from last version, player development still needs significant work. This will probably take time to fix though, as it's likely difficult to get it working well. I can imagine even small changes having huge repercussions.
Goaltenders- Develop extremely poorly with only NHL/AHL enabled. Develop a tad low with the full set of leagues enabled.
Defence- Looks good with only NHL/AHL enabled. Develop far too well with all leagues enabled.
Forwards- Looks good with only NHL/AHL enabled. Develop far too well with all leagues enabled.

Spending- Inconsistent, varies from extremely low to ... well, just lower then the real NHL. Team minimum salary caps are my favourite pet peeve. The lowest spending teams get very low.
Old 11-20-2016, 10:36 PM   #28
Rand
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirMichaelJordan View Post

And roster management. How well are teams being built.

Nationalities look pretty good, I've read elsewhere that some people are seeing too many players from the Czech Republic and while that's true the results aren't terrible in my sims.

Every sim seems ends up with results that are pretty plausible.
About half the NHL is Canadian, 15% is American.
Then you've got Sweden and Czech Republic at a little under 7-8%.
Below that you have Russia and Finland at around 5%.

After those you have a broad mix of nations getting a few players.
Towards the late 2030's you start seeing the very very rare player from unconventional nations, I've seen Croatia, Poland, Hungary, and Britain represented by a single player. It's uncommon, but it can happen.

Teams rosters for the most part, look alright. The AI tends to spend a little more on Defence and a little less on Forwards across the league then the real NHL. Goaltending spending is pretty similar on a percentile basis.
They have a surprisingly good grasp of positional scarcity, and spends considerably more on goaltending in leagues with only the NHL/AHL enabled properly recognizing that even a 2Star goalie can be of significant value even if their rating is low.

The AI does struggle to know what to do with their top young prospects. Trades involving elite prospects are not uncommon, and you'll see top 5 draft picks waived for no apparent reason sometimes. It's not catastrophic but it could use improving.
It's much more intelligent with veterans. Off season free agent signing are pretty logical, and they properly look to fill holes on the roster.

One point that does concern me is every 4-5yrs you'll see a European (Always European, never North American) player that quickly develops into a 5 star talent... and is never signed and plays out their career in Europe.
I saw one Croatian player drafted 2nd overall by Detroit, played in Croatia until he was 17 before moving to Russia. Absolutely dominated the KHL, easily the best player there for nearly 20yrs. Was 5Star by the time he was 19.
But he was never signed.
You get this a couple times a decade.
It typically occurs with players from non major hockey nations, and always Europeans.

Last edited by Rand; 11-20-2016 at 10:38 PM.
Old 11-20-2016, 10:37 PM   #29
Rand
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwr38 View Post
when are player playing their first season. (draft layout ... how many low draft picks play in their first season).
I'll get back to you on this one tomorrow. Don't have time to fully reply tonight.
Old 11-22-2016, 10:09 PM   #30
Rand
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwr38 View Post
The best talent is usually NHL ready in their Draft +2 season.
You're not going to see a Connor McDavid. Or even a Patrick Laine. Players will not develop fast enough to allow that.
More typical quality NHL players usually have their rookie season in their draft +4 season.

The overwhelming majority of future NHL talent will come from the 1st round, some out of the 2nd round. 3rd/4th round NHL'ers is where you find players to fill out the bottom of your roster.
Past that, you're basically praying for anything. Rounds 5-7 are pretty much all the same, there is little difference in value between the 130th overall pick and the 210th overall pick. In your typical draft there are 5-6 players who can play a limited role on an NHL team in those rounds.

As you'd expect the very best players are in the top ~3 picks, but superstars in the mid first round aren't terribly uncommon.

So the general arc of where talent comes from looks very good. I'm pleasantly surprised at how well done it is.
Areas of some concern are the best talent you could in later rounds is... not great. The big draft surprises happen less often then you'd hope.

For example in the average draft year there are around 3-6 3rd line forwards/4th D in the 4'th-7th rounds. That's the very best you should expect.
That's probably less then you might hope for.
Top 6 forwards/top 3 defencemen past the 3rd round is something you'll see roughly once every 5-6 drafts. You'd ideally like to see players of that quality in those rounds be an uncommon but not rare occurrence. As is their very unusual.

If you're looking for star players in the late rounds that's something that happens maybe once a century, while certainly possible it's extraordinarily rare. So... at least there, the game falters compared to reality.

On the whole I find the draft results pretty good. It's not ideal by any means, the general array of where talent comes from looks excellent but there isn't quite as much good late round talent as I'd like and great players in the late rounds are exceptionally rare. Similarly the absolute elite talent could develop a bit quicker.

The game does a very good job of having varying draft class quality. Once a decade you'll have a draft packed with talent, about as often you'll have one that's pretty barren. Other years vary from strong to weak drafts. I appreciate that inconsistency that not every draft is of comparable quality, it definitely varies.

The only real issues is the better late round talent not being common enough, everything else looks really good.

I'd say the draft results are a relative strength of the game right now, but there is certainly room for tweaks and adjustments.

The above description is assuming you play with only the AHL/NHL enabled as that yields the closest to actual NHL talent levels the game can produce. Albeit a little low.

If you play with all leagues enabled quality late round players are much more common.... but that's largely because the league is so completely swamped with talent that 3 star players top out at 4th line forwards rather then an actual improvement in the realism of the draft.

Last edited by Rand; 11-28-2016 at 02:46 PM.
Old 12-10-2016, 09:43 PM   #31
Wan6Tent
Bat Boy

How is this on the update they just released?
Wan6Tent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 03:46 PM   #32
Krillo
Minors (Single A)

Rand. How's it looking after 10-15 years? Is there anyone that's drafted after the third round that gets 4,5 star rating or gets to the allstar team? And have you seen any undrafted player reach the NHL. Because that's what i am hoping for to find late round gems, and drafting now is just worthless after the third round. I know this things don't happen so often in real life, but it happens.

Last edited by Krillo; 12-11-2016 at 03:55 PM.
Krillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 04:38 AM   #33
JeffR
FHM Producer

Made some changes this weekend to player generation and the movement of junior-aged players. That'll be the starting point for getting the excess of good players trimmed down a bit; I want to do that first before making changes to the actual development routines.
JeffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 02:49 PM   #34
Rand
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wan6Tent View Post
How is this on the update they just released?
I haven't tested the latest update nor do I plan to. They've said that no significant changes were made in this regard for the most recent update, and I've been too busy lately to really devote any time to further testing player development.

I will test the next update.
Old 12-19-2016, 03:23 PM   #35
Rand
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krillo View Post
Rand. How's it looking after 10-15 years? Is there anyone that's drafted after the third round that gets 4,5 star rating or gets to the allstar team? And have you seen any undrafted player reach the NHL. Because that's what i am hoping for to find late round gems, and drafting now is just worthless after the third round. I know this things don't happen so often in real life, but it happens.

Sorry for the long delayed reply, I haven't had time to look at the game recently, been really busy of late.

Draft is decent in my opinion, there is definitely room for improvement but I'm willing to forgive a fair amount of difficulties here as this seems to be one of the toughest things for a hockey sim to get right.
I did beta testing for all of the EHM releases and they've always struggled to get the NHL draft looking good, and I know a considerable amount of time has been dedicated to it.

So, given this game is in it's third iteration it's pretty solid. There is certainly ample room for improvement... but like I said, it's a really tough area to get right.

I have seen undrafted players reach the NHL, but none that I've noticed have ever played a significant role. At best those players might have careers of 4-5yrs, as fringe players. I may have missed some however, there is no easy way to track undrafted NHL'ers in the game, so it's possible some slipped by.

With a minimum set of leagues enabled (that provides the best approximation for consistent talent development similar to the real world, the more leagues enabled the more inflated the talent level becomes) I see a 3 Star or better player from the third round or later roughly once every 3-4 drafts. Typically their goaltenders, it's much less common to see quality players of other positions available that late. You'll see good goalies available in the mid rounds about 4-5x as often as forwards and defence.

4-5 Star talent available in the 3rd/4th round is a once every ~15yrs occurrence, it can and definitely does happen but it's extremely rare.
Players of that calibre in the 5th round or later happens roughly once a century, it's extraordinarily rare.

Typically the 3rd round sees a respectable amount of buttom pairing D, and bottom 6 forwards. The 4th/5th round will have a handful of such players each year, after that anything at all you get should be considered a surprise.

The game does an excellent job of having varying draft class quality. Once a decade you'll have a draft packed with talent, about as often you'll have one that's pretty barren. Other years vary from strong to weak drafts. I appreciate that inconsistency that not every draft is of comparable quality, it definitely varies.

The general array of where talent comes from, and the shape of the 1st/2nd round is excellent.

But yes, ultimately as far as late round gems, and significant talent coming late in the draft this is clearly an area where the game falls far short of emulating reality.

I think trying to fix this is something that's best put off for future years though, in the short term just getting a plausible and reasonably consistent level of talent should be the biggest concern right now.

Once the game is capable of generating realistic talent ranges across positions in the long term then more focus can be paid to the specifics of how their developing, and the accuracy of scouting players long term potential at 18.
Old 01-04-2017, 11:12 PM   #36
Rand
Minors (Double A)

Latest results from the newest version of FHM 3.2.89
There were apparently some changes that would influence development in this build so this may be the most notable results in awhile to see how the changes have worked out thus far.

Team Cap space

With all leagues disabled except the AHL/NHL:

Defencemen rated 3 Star or above: 76 / 67 / 65 / 71 / 70
Defencemen rated 4.5 Star or above: 2 / 7 / 4 / 8 / 3

Forwards rated 3 Star or above: 215 / 187 / 165 / 201 / 159
Forwards rated 4.5 Star or above: 19 / 13 / 10 / 18 / 14

Goalies rated 3 Star or above: 12/ 13 / 7 / 17 / 8
Goalies rated 4.5 Star or above: 2 / 4 / 3 / 4 / 1

Team Cap space
Teams with 10M or less in cap space: 2 / 5 / 4 / 3 / 4
Teams with 20M or less in cap space: 6 / 11 / 10 / 20 / 9

Defence looks good, no problems here. Forwards are all over the place, but on average it works out so no real concerns. With all leagues except the NHL disabled our results for Forwards and Defence still remain reasonable.
With Goalies, the results are still the same as before and as we've seen they don't develop properly.

Thus far, the changes to player development don't appear to have made any significant impact to change.

League spending remains a problem. The vast majority of teams will sit well below the league minimum salary cap. At best you see the top spending teams sitting around the minimum their supposed to be allowed to spend.

With all leagues enabled:

Defencemen rated 3Star or above: 87 / 85 / 100 / 106 / 92
Defencemen rated 4.5 Star or above: 9 / 7 / 12 / 26 / 20

Forwards rated 3 Star or above: 230 / 268 / 259 / 241 / 221
Forwards rated 4.5 Star or above: 29 / 28 / 37 / 24 / 20

Goalies rated 3 Star or above: 26 / 20 / 20 / 21 / 17
Goalies rated 4.5 Star or above: 8 / 5 / 7 / 10 / 4

Team Cap space
Teams with 10M or less in cap space: 10 / 17 / 8 / 6 / 8
Teams with 20M or less in cap space: 21 / 29 / 11 / 18 / 15

We're now seeing areas where the recent update has made changes, and they look to be for the better.
With all leagues enabled development is starting to show differences from prior versions.

The quality of defencemen have clearly dropped compared to the last version, and while the league still has a definite overabundance of talent, things are moving in a good direction.

We see the same thing with forwards, while again forwards are still developing too well it's starting to slip back downwards closer to the state of the game in the 2016/17 season.

With goalies, I'm not sure I can say for sure. The sample size may not be large enough here but it does at least initially look like goalies are developing slightly better and getting fairly close to where it is in the 2016/17 start date.
That's a tentative and somewhat optimistic conclusion though as it fluctuated enough that sample size could be a problem.

We can see the development of both forwards and defence remains a problem, with both positions developing too well if all leagues are enabled. Still, we are seeing progress here and things look better then before.
There may also be positive progress for goalies, though I'm not entirely sure based on the simulations I've run so far.

For spending, things look better with all leagues enabled then with only the NHL/AHL presumably due to the much larger amount of talent available. That said, nothing has really changed as far as I can tell compared to the last version. Things remain inconsistent and at it's best spending looks low but not too bad given the likely need to have a larger buffer for the AI to work with then humans players/real NHL GM's do.
At it's worst, spending is very low and a cause for concern at the AI's willingness to stay well below the NHL minimum salary cap.
Old 02-08-2017, 10:16 PM   #37
Rand
Minors (Double A)

Started the latest round of simulations with the newest patch, it may take a bit longer this time around as I plan to do more extensive testing as this has been announced as the last major patch so any future updates probably won't be making any meaningful changes to finances or player development.

Some changes I've noticed thus far in short term results-
There were quite a few changes to the starting database that impact ratings and of course how things tend to play out.

It seems like goaltending talent has seen a very slight uptick for the typical goaltender, while the best goalies are roughly static.
So goaltending in the early seasons is similar to the earlier builds.
No real impact on simulations so far, which isn't surprising as the changes were slight.

Defence talent for the top Defenders has seen a very slight increase, but this is marginal and mostly in increasing a handful of good/very good defenders to very good/elite in ratings.
There has been a much more significant decrease in talent below that however. The average talent league wide sees a fairly tangible decrease, with a decent number of players that were average or slightly below average dropping in ratings.
As a result there is a clear decline in the quality of Defence available to NHL teams.

This does not however appear to have had much of an impact on early simulations however, with actual results for Defenders remaining similar to before albeit with some changes in which players excel.

The biggest changes were at forward where there is a clear and substantial decline in the quality and number of top forwards available.
The best forwards aren't as good as before, nor are there as many clear standout forwards.
Interestingly, the average talent level has increased a bit. Mostly by way of a surprisingly large number of below average forwards getting ratings bumps.
Overall, the impact has been to significantly diminish the range of talent available at the position by weakening top forwards and dropping them closer to the norm, while improving the lesser forwards and moving them closer to the norm.
There is a much smaller range in talent level available.

Unlike with defenders this does seem to be having a clear impact in early simulations where the top scorers have thus far been substantially more consistent from one simulation to the next then was ever the case previously. Below that small level of top forwards the variance has increased however with more fluctuation in results from one simulation to another.
Scoring per team tends to see more variability in player ice time vs scoring rates.
Previously ice time correlated to scoring quite closely, the pts/60min vs ice time has lost much of that correlation in this build, I would hypothesize this to be due to the narrower talent range for most teams in their middle 6 forwards. So you'll tend to see 12-14min a night forwards creeping closer in scoring rates to those playing 16-18min a night.

I've no idea whether the alterations to league wide player balance were deliberate or merely coincidental changes due to overall re-rating of players but it's interesting to see.

How player development fares it's far too early to tell.