Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 16 > OOTP 16 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 16 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2015 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 01-24-2015, 09:05 AM   #1
sandman2575
Minors (Triple A)

Rain Delays = awesome

Edit - guess this thread should be titled Rainouts = awesome

Just wanted to say I'm really impressed to see this as a new feature -- my sense from past discussions was that this would be (and probably was!) a *very* complex thing to program.

Anyway, constantly impressed by how much new manages to get packed in to each new iteration of OOTP. Pre-ordering 16 without question.

Last edited by sandman2575; 01-24-2015 at 09:06 AM.
sandman2575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 09:13 AM   #2
Cryomaniac
Hall Of Famer

IIRC actually deciding that a game was rained out wasn't a difficult coding issue, it was having the game automatically reschedule it that was the problem. Automatically generating schedules is a difficult enough task as it is.

Cryomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 09:16 AM   #3
sandman2575
Minors (Triple A)

Yes, should've made that more clear (in addition to the botched thread title ). The auto-rescheduling is what I'm so impressed by.
sandman2575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 09:35 AM   #4
TomVeal
All Star Starter

As a corollary to rescheduling rain-outs, will there be doubleheaders? If so, will the game allow an extra man on the roster that day, as is permitted in real life?
TomVeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 09:44 AM   #5
Cryomaniac
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomVeal View Post
As a corollary to rescheduling rain-outs, will there be doubleheaders? If so, will the game allow an extra man on the roster that day, as is permitted in real life?
I think it's been said there will be doubleheaders. No idea about the extra man though. Would be nice to have though.

Old 01-24-2015, 09:58 AM   #6
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

No extra man, as that's a bit tough to work out. Someday we'll look to have that in, but not this year.
Matt Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 10:00 AM   #7
Orioles1966
Hall Of Famer

If rainouts are made up after the regular season is over,how does the game know that the regular season is not over and regular season games are still being played?

Does the game stop with regular season games once every team has played the amount of scheduled games per league? What happens if a team accidently played an extra regular season game? Does the game recognize that ?

I ask these questions because once in a great while I will have leagues that don't know the regular season is over and the playoffs should begin.

I requested a stop the regular season/start playoff option but don't know if that will ever be a possibility.
Orioles1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 10:09 AM   #8
Cryomaniac
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orioles1966 View Post
If rainouts are made up after the regular season is over,how does the game know that the regular season is not over and regular season games are still being played?
I would assume the same way (or similar) to how it does 1 game playoffs now. Which means that there will probably end up being some bugs with it if it's anything like the tiebreakers...

Old 01-24-2015, 10:37 AM   #9
TomVeal
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Arnold View Post
No extra man, as that's a bit tough to work out. Someday we'll look to have that in, but not this year.
That's a pity. A common real-world practice is to call up a top AAA pitcher to start one of the games of a doubleheader. (In fact, I believe that's why the 26th man rule was adopted.)

Hmm, would the game let me get the effect of a 26th man by designating yesterday's starter for assignment, calling up a minor leaguer to fill the empty slot, using him for the day, sending him back to the minors, and returning the DFA'd player to the 40 and 25 man rosters? I have no idea whether that maneuver would be legal under MLB rules.
Old 01-24-2015, 11:49 AM   #10
Orioles1966
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
That's a pity. A common real-world practice is to call up a top AAA pitcher to start one of the games of a doubleheader. (In fact, I believe that's why the 26th man rule was adopted.)

Hmm, would the game let me get the effect of a 26th man by designating yesterday's starter for assignment, calling up a minor leaguer to fill the empty slot, using him for the day, sending him back to the minors, and returning the DFA'd player to the 40 and 25 man rosters? I have no idea whether that maneuver would be legal under MLB rules.
I usually replace the last starting pitcher with a reserve or minor league pitcher when it comes to doubleheaders. The last starter isn't going too pitch anyways so I use the roster spot with a needed starting pitcher.
Orioles1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 11:50 AM   #11
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Well, you could always go into Commish mode and change the 25 man roster to 26 for that game or day, then change it back to 25.

Not an optimum solution, but definitely a workaround for the time being.
Bluenoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 12:08 PM   #12
darkcloud4579
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

You can do it yourself. Change league roster rules for the day to be 26 man. It's not elegant, but if you're that committed to "realism" then it'll get the job done.
darkcloud4579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 12:11 PM   #13
Cryomaniac
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

It would work, but I think you might have to reset their morale afterwards, because I think being DFA'd negatively affects morale.

Old 01-24-2015, 12:32 PM   #14
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
As a corollary to rescheduling rain-outs, will there be doubleheaders?
Yes, there'll be doubleheaders, but they will be the split, separate admission day-night kind. This was necessary due to considerations regarding the game's financial model.

When it comes to rescheduling a postponed game, OOTP will try to either make it up as part of a day-night doubleheader or as a single game on a common off day (if one is applicable).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orioles1966 View Post
Only games having a bearing on a pennant race will be made up after the scheduled end of the regular season if such games are necessary in determining a playoff berth.

Last edited by Le Grande Orange; 01-24-2015 at 12:35 PM.
Le Grande Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 12:44 PM   #15
flaquis010285
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Grande Orange View Post
Yes, there'll be doubleheaders, but they will be the split, separate admission day-night kind. This was necessary due to considerations regarding the game's financial model.

When it comes to rescheduling a postponed game, OOTP will try to either make it up as part of a day-night doubleheader or as a single game on a common off day (if one is applicable).
When I'm comissioning my leagues there's not Sunday games (actually this was a real trend during early pro baseball years). Will be I able to choose the day for the postponement? (e.g. Tuesday instead of Sunday)
Old 01-24-2015, 12:45 PM   #16
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaquis010285 View Post
When I'm comissioning my leagues there's not Sunday games (actually this was a real trend during early pro baseball years). Will be I able to choose the day for the postponement? (e.g. Tuesday instead of Sunday)
As far as I'm aware OOTP does it automatically. In which case you've raised an interesting angle.
Old 01-24-2015, 12:50 PM   #17
Kobeck
Major Leagues

I think BB did not play on sundays only because of 'Blue Laws' that forbid them

In my opinion a rare sunday game would, even under blue laws, probably be allowed
Kobeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 12:53 PM   #18
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobeck View Post
In my opinion a rare sunday game would, even under blue laws, probably be allowed
What happened in real life is that clubs would play in nearby towns or municipalities which didn't have such restrictions. Or they would take a chance and hope the police wouldn't stop by and shut down the game.
Old 01-27-2015, 10:05 AM   #19
slugga27
All Star Starter

Quote:

To be fair, the 26th-man rule has only been around for a couple of years. I'll give the devs a pass here. Not game-breaking by any means.

On a related note, rainouts are the selling point for me this year. SOLD!
slugga27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 11:22 AM   #20
TomVeal
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by slugga27 View Post
To be fair, the 26th-man rule has only been around for a couple of years. I'll give the devs a pass here. Not game-breaking by any means.

On a related note, rainouts are the selling point for me this year. SOLD!
Having thought about the matter further, I'm not going to utilize workarounds to get a 26th man until the AI can get one, too. In the meantime, I'll have to learn how to adjust my rotation to doubleheaders, just as managers had to do through most of the history of baseball.

I agree that rainouts are a highly desirable feature (in OOTP, not in real life).