Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - New to the Game?

OOTP 20 - New to the Game? If you have basic questions about the the latest version of our game, please come here!

Old 10-13-2019, 09:55 PM   #1
aks62
Major Leagues

Draft Strategy?

Asking both in terms of talent and signability.

Talent-wise, I tend to prefer ability to tools, which I know produces fewer superstar prospects. But, most of my draftees tend to flop. Any advice for which end of the spectrum works better in most settings of the game (highly favor tools vs. ability, neutral, etc.)?

Signability-wise, I tend to find very little strategy here, as I just meet a player's signing demand and tend to be within budget. Most, if not all draftees I've had in several iterations demand below-slot values. I've only on occasion had draftees ask for slot, and never above-slot unless it's an outward dollar-figure demand.

I assume signability demands also don't really apply after Round 5, unless it's "impossible" or a straight dollar figure? Just trying to figure out why the demands aspect exists from a strategy perspective if you can essentially just meet them without going over budget in almost all cases.
aks62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 05:27 PM   #2
aks62
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by aks62 View Post
Asking both in terms of talent and signability.

Talent-wise, I tend to prefer ability to tools, which I know produces fewer superstar prospects. But, most of my draftees tend to flop. Any advice for which end of the spectrum works better in most settings of the game (highly favor tools vs. ability, neutral, etc.)?

Signability-wise, I tend to find very little strategy here, as I just meet a player's signing demand and tend to be within budget. Most, if not all draftees I've had in several iterations demand below-slot values. I've only on occasion had draftees ask for slot, and never above-slot unless it's an outward dollar-figure demand.

I assume signability demands also don't really apply after Round 5, unless it's "impossible" or a straight dollar figure? Just trying to figure out why the demands aspect exists from a strategy perspective if you can essentially just meet them without going over budget in almost all cases.
Bumping this, please and thank you
Old 10-17-2019, 12:40 PM   #3
Curve Ball Dave
Hall Of Famer

The only "strategy" is the draft the best guy you can sign. Most draftees never make it, that's how it goes. First round "can't miss" guys can miss. Lower round draft picks can end up your starters and all stars. OOTP mirrors real life extremely well in that regard. If one draft class isn't that good for you, there's another next year. Never expect instant results. A guy can come up as a bench player for a couple of seasons before he cracks the starting line up. Many players don't reach full potential until several big league seasons. If any player you draft ends up as a productive major league player then he is a success story.
Old 10-17-2019, 06:17 PM   #4
rudel.dietrich
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
I go for best available player in round 1 and 2.
If my team is contending and picking towards the end of the rounds starting at round 3 and maybe as high as 2 I will take 3-4 great RP in a row and its pretty easy to keep a great bullpen for cheap since you always have a fresh stock of arms who are on league minimum and then arbitration money.
Once they hit FA just let them go and collect the compensation picks.
Only the odd generational talent do you even offer a contract to.

It is very easy to keep an awesome bullpen in OOTP since the draft AI still undervalues RP.

It does a good job of drafting every other position. But RP you can just rob left and right.
And if you draft at the end of the round with a good team there is usually not much left anyways so why not take the best RP?

If you play modern quick start of a fictional league that has modern settings your bullpen will pitch 40-45% of your innings anyways.

If I a rebuilding I go for best available player in every round. Then towards the mid and end of the draft I look for players who are good at one thing. Contact/eye/power etc
This way they can be good at one thing and maybe get a few lucky bumps in other areas and become a ML bench player or one of those rare late draft starters.
If they get super development you might get a star but there is no predicting those. You just draft and if it happens then you are thankful.
rudel.dietrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 06:23 PM   #5
rudel.dietrich
Hall Of Famer

As for signability. I will pass over a bit of talent. I will only go after 'hard' signability players if I really need to boost my farm system and no one else is close. I never even draft anyone that is above 'hard'
There is nothing worse than wasting a draft pick on someone who refuses to sign or you cant sign because your out of draft pick money.

Draft picks and cheap rookie deals are way too valuable to waste on even the chance that a pick will not join your organization.
Better to lose a bit of potential value versus getting no value at all out of that draft pick.
Old 10-17-2019, 08:55 PM   #6
aks62
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudel.dietrich View Post
As for signability. I will pass over a bit of talent. I will only go after 'hard' signability players if I really need to boost my farm system and no one else is close. I never even draft anyone that is above 'hard'
There is nothing worse than wasting a draft pick on someone who refuses to sign or you cant sign because your out of draft pick money.

Draft picks and cheap rookie deals are way too valuable to waste on even the chance that a pick will not join your organization.
Better to lose a bit of potential value versus getting no value at all out of that draft pick.
I guess what I still don't understand is that I've never really had trouble signing anybody, even rated "extremely hard," if I just meet their (unstated) demands. Is it because I'm relying too much on my scouting director? I almost always go by his recommendations, regardless of the other parameters.

So...on that point, how do you recommend prepping for drafts once the pool is released, or do you not do that much at all?
Old 10-18-2019, 10:12 AM   #7
Mr. Marlin
All Star Starter

Quote:

So...on that point, how do you recommend prepping for drafts once the pool is released, or do you not do that much at all?
Unless you are using feeder leagues don't spend too much time scouting and prepping. Although you should have a pretty good idea who's in your draft class. If you are using feeders scouting is a must. Because ratings and stats won't necessarily follow each other.

In the later rounds where there are only longshots and farmhands left in the pool I suggest targeting guys with high intelligence and work ethic. I've fpound they are more likely to develop.
Mr. Marlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 12:16 PM   #8
rudel.dietrich
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aks62 View Post
I guess what I still don't understand is that I've never really had trouble signing anybody, even rated "extremely hard," if I just meet their (unstated) demands. Is it because I'm relying too much on my scouting director? I almost always go by his recommendations, regardless of the other parameters.

I always play with the scouting system turned off. I don't like it and it has needed fixes for years.

And you and me have had different experiences. I have had players rated as hard not even want to discuss terms or after one round of offers refuse to negotiate further. And thus I lose the pick.
Old 10-25-2019, 02:21 PM   #9
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

never, never, never go by the AI scout's recommendation :P

I strongly suggest neutral scout so they don't skew the overall/potential ratings. you will skew them accordign to age and potential changes with the younger players. the college kids will be more defined. -like velo changes for a 17-18y.o. is way more likely than for a 21+ college kid.

You want to break players into tiers... this will help recognize weak drafts and strong drafts over time, too, because you get more familiar with distribution as you break it down. Also, if you see some 'need' that's deeper, this can help you more efficiently draft. you can take the dwinding similar tiered quality, knowing you'll still have opportunities with players you like in that need and a glut of prospects the next round.

Make some shortlists... players you are willing to spend a first rounder on (be realistic about your pick)... players you are willing to spend a 2nd rounder on... you probably don't have to go far. it very quickly becomes a total crapshoot and you should just be looking for specific attributes or younger or whatever you think gives best chance at lucky guesses.

how far do you stretch from that quality? upto you. same with ranges of quality. i suggest small ranges for first rounders, than increasingly cavalier. Remember accuracy is horrible, but it's all you got. the stats from hs/coll don't translate just like RL. once they are below average mlb'ers, test out some different stategies.

e.g. i think movement is the toughest thing to find in lower round pitchers. so i sort by that with some minimum stuff/control and look for anything that stands out. it doesn't have to be the top name. ** i'm looking for high stuff, but movement is poor accuracy and the higher it is the better chances it's suitable. i want those guys at thte top and cherry pick the higher stuff guys.

looking for extremely good ratings mixed with bad isn't a bad idea either.. these guys are probably the best bet of maximizing any TCR changes than someone with just a bunch of midle of the road ratings. relievers and batters work well under this strategy, imo.

best player available, but if you don't understand how to compare a batters value to a pitchers value, it is just a stab in the dark anytime a decision involving a batter and pitcher of the same tier of quality.

it's probably never a good idea to draft RP high, but you have to do it occasionally if you want some elite and cheap relievers. i'd say i take a RP in late first round-early 2nd 1 or 2 times out of ten years? ratings have to justify it, but even so they never touch the game enough over the course of 162g to justify it.

plus, it's twice as difficult to find and develop 5 sp. batters are more predictable, if accurately rated. pitchers have a whole 'nother layer of crazy in that regard.

While overall is a strongly correlated, you may like certain attributes that don't quite show up in overall/potential, especially at younger ages. e.g. velo may increase, or you are looking at an elite obp/lead-off type role and they are simply underrated often due to mediocre-to-average power.

I only take a batter in top 5-10 picks if they are generational quality. most of my first rounders are SP. a slugger with high contact is an equivalent and rare to see, but i jump at them when i see them.

Last edited by NoOne; 10-25-2019 at 02:33 PM.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote