Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 16 > OOTP 16 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 16 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2015 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 01-23-2015, 01:50 PM   #1
Gai1997
Major Leagues

Statistics Question

I was wondering if you guys added statistics such as WRC+? There are some others, but they escape my mind currently. Basically, if you could maybe give me a list on statistics addition or changes, that would be fantastic. I love statistics in baseball and I also love them in OOTP and want them to be as in depth as possible!

Also, I asked this question in a thread a couple days ago, and it's about WAR. As you know there are different types of WAR (Baseball Reference, Fangraphs, and I think Markus made his own type of WAR for the game if I'm not mistaken)

Is it possible, or has it been added that all 3 types of WAR are included in the game? I think it would add a cool dynamic to the game as currently in real life baseball we have to check both B-Ref and Fangraphs and if there are differences we have to think about it a bit more. Maybe add an option to which one we want to use or have them all listed? Just a small little thing that I think could add a nice dynamic to the game.

Last thing about WAR: It seems like Pitcher WAR is a bit broken. Pitchers are often putting up higher or similar WAR's to position players, which seems wrong, no? I'm pretty sure pitchers should be putting up lower WAR's than position players for the most part. Like in an online league currently, SP Corey Kluber has 7.4 WAR currently to Tulowitzki at 6.0. Both are the top players at their positions in the league and shouldn't the hitter be higher always in that regard in terms of WAR? Maybe I'm dumb or something, but that's how I thought it was. I'm probably wrong, but just something I noticed.

Lastly, I know FIP is currently in the game in the statistics section of the entire league, but I was wondering if you moved or could move it to a specific player's statistics page. What I mean by that is have FIP shown on this page here: http://i.imgur.com/MZVDLsB.png

Sorry for typing so much about this, but I really am curious about stats in the game as I just love to study and go in depth within the stats when looking at a player or deciding if to add them to my team!

Thanks for this game Markus & OOTP development team, this game is simply incredible and the best $40 I've spent in awhile (Now $75 with the pre-order) and the game has exceeded every expectation I've had! Thanks so much guys!
Gai1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 01:57 PM   #2
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
I would like to second the FIP suggestion.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 01:59 PM   #3
Gai1997
Major Leagues

wOBA too. Have it where the specific player's stats are just like I suggested for FIP.
Old 01-23-2015, 02:01 PM   #4
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

I'd like to see FIP on that page too.

Will point out that if you select the dropdown titled "View", then select "Expanded Pitching Stats 2" you will see his FIP.

That's what I've been using.
Bluenoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 02:09 PM   #5
Gai1997
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenoser View Post
I'd like to see FIP on that page too.

Will point out that if you select the dropdown titled "View", then select "Expanded Pitching Stats 2" you will see his FIP.

That's what I've been using.
I was unaware that was even there. I need to pay attention more So now that that question is answered, basically just need those other ones.
Old 01-23-2015, 02:15 PM   #6
jaa36
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gai1997 View Post
Last thing about WAR: It seems like Pitcher WAR is a bit broken. Pitchers are often putting up higher or similar WAR's to position players, which seems wrong, no? I'm pretty sure pitchers should be putting up lower WAR's than position players for the most part. Like in an online league currently, SP Corey Kluber has 7.4 WAR currently to Tulowitzki at 6.0. Both are the top players at their positions in the league and shouldn't the hitter be higher always in that regard in terms of WAR? Maybe I'm dumb or something, but that's how I thought it was. I'm probably wrong, but just something I noticed.
OOTP pitcher WAR is indeed broken. I did a lot of research on this in this post last year: http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...-line-mlb.html. On Fangraphs and Baseball Reference, hitter WAR is defined at 57% of all WAR league-wide, with pitcher WAR the remaining 43%. In the test I did, OOTP position players accounted for about 41% of WAR league-wide, with pitchers at 59%. The problem seems to be that pitchers end up being systematically assigned ~60% more more WAR than they should, and position players are assigned slightly less than they should. It's not a huge problem if you know it exists, but it is annoying, and something that I hope is looked at in OOTP16.

I also suspect that hitters are also not getting "penalized" for caught stealing, as often the league WAR leaders are players who have very high stolen base (and caught stealing) totals, though I haven't tested this to date.

More than anything, I'd like there to be more transparency about exactly how WAR is calculated in OOTP, as it's not consistent with the Fangraphs or BP versions.
jaa36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 02:17 PM   #7
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gai1997 View Post
I was unaware that was even there. I need to pay attention more So now that that question is answered, basically just need those other ones.
WOba is there too when you look at batters.

There's a lot of stats in the splits and expanded stats drop downs. Everybody has their own favourites they'd like to see on the main page. Problem is, there's only so much space to put them. So how to decide which should be there and which should remain in the dropdowns is the problem. Not everybody wants the exact same thing.
Old 01-23-2015, 02:20 PM   #8
RchW
Hall Of Famer

I like these suggestions. Also want to point out that you can customize stats on the various tabs like pitching or lineups. See below. What I want is to be able to place these columns freely so that I could have FIP next to ERA.
Attached Images

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 02:23 PM   #9
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaa36 View Post
OOTP pitcher WAR is indeed broken. I did a lot of research on this in this post last year: http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...-line-mlb.html. On Fangraphs and Baseball Reference, hitter WAR is defined at 57% of all WAR league-wide, with pitcher WAR the remaining 43%. In the test I did, OOTP position players accounted for about 41% of WAR league-wide, with pitchers at 59%. The problem seems to be that pitchers end up being systematically assigned ~60% more more WAR than they should, and position players are assigned slightly less than they should. It's not a huge problem if you know it exists, but it is annoying, and something that I hope is looked at in OOTP16.

I also suspect that hitters are also not getting "penalized" for caught stealing, as often the league WAR leaders are players who have very high stolen base (and caught stealing) totals, though I haven't tested this to date.

More than anything, I'd like there to be more transparency about exactly how WAR is calculated in OOTP, as it's not consistent with the Fangraphs or BP versions.
This is from Markus on the OOTP15 Forum where 16 is being discussed:

Quote:
OOTP 16 will switch to the Fangraphs version of WAR for position players. For pitchers we already use their formula in previous versions.
Old 01-23-2015, 02:25 PM   #10
Gai1997
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenoser View Post
This is from Markus on the OOTP15 Forum where 16 is being discussed:
Well that's very good! Hopefully they switch the pitching formula.

And agreed RichW. I'd like to customize it too, just to make it easier for myself so I don't have to move around too much while looking. Just makes it better.
Old 01-23-2015, 02:46 PM   #11
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

We've done well in work so far, so hopefully we will have time to run some tests to make sure that things are accurate.
Matt Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 04:28 PM   #12
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

I'd love to see OOTP use fWAR instead of its custom formula.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
Old 01-23-2015, 04:39 PM   #13
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
I'd love to see OOTP use fWAR instead of its custom formula.
It will
Markus Heinsohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 05:52 PM   #14
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Heinsohn View Post
It will
That's just amazingly wonderful. Thank you. Next up: historical minor-league teams.

Old 01-23-2015, 09:08 PM   #15
SkittleMonster
Bat Boy

Quote:
OOTP 16 will switch to the Fangraphs version of WAR for position players. For pitchers we already use their formula in previous versions.
Is it the exact same formula, or has it been fixed? Because whatever was used in OOTP 15 led to real wonky results.
SkittleMonster is offline   Reply With Quote