Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: Online Leagues

Old 10-24-2011, 12:28 AM   #21
the_32_pitch
Banned

Infractions: 0/1 (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcroyalgm View Post
Ehe.
You join four leagues in a week?
I feel bad for the other leagues.
Now please descend once more into your hole.
Cheers and best wishes.
Yeah, 4 leagues. And every one of them installed just fine with absolutely no problems. Just like they have for years upon years for me playing OOTP. Not this guy's though. Have a lot of fun with this guy commishing. What a mess.
the_32_pitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 12:31 AM   #22
Xpert7777
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_32_pitch View Post
Ive installed countless league files before. I don't even need instructions anymore. Just find the league file, make the .lg folder, extract it, and then put the accounts_gms.dat in the settings folder. Yeah, I get it. I dont need "help". Ive got 25 years experience with computers. I just need the people running the league to be competent enough not to screw up a simple process.

I posted this to his mailing list and for this minor gripe he bounces me from the list and the league completely. No wonder he has no GM's for his league. IF hes this sensitive then he obviously has mental issues.

"It doesn't work. With all due respect, this settings.zip file is ridiculous. Nothing but problems. Stop wasting my time. Why can't this league just have a simple accounts_gms.dat file like usual, like everyone else, a simple file that has worked the same way for years for every league I've ever been in? Not this one though. This one's got a fancy settings.zip file that of course doesn't work. I'm ready to quit this league already."
If you are going to join the league, have a minor issue and immediately mail the entire league how our commish is incompetent and not listen to advice, we don't want or need you in this league. 4 openings in a 30 team league is a small percentage not "No GM's" Good luck on your league search. Some advice, don't alienate yourself the minute you join, it will help.

I am an original owner here. This is a great league, we have a great subset of very active owners with very challenging settings. One of the best commish's I have ever played for runs this league and spends more time than he should making this league amazing. The reason we have openings is the time it takes to be such an active owner. Run a blog, twitter feed, staying active on the mailing list, the things that take the league from good to great to amazing.

If you have the time and are looking for a challenge, seriously give us a try, you won't regret it.
Old 10-24-2011, 12:31 AM   #23
Greenville84's
Bat Boy

I should add that I've not run into any significant technical issues in my entire time in the league and when I've had any questions at all, the commish has been very helpful.
Greenville84's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 12:32 AM   #24
the_32_pitch
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangers85 View Post
I'm now in my second season in the league as the New Orleans Looters GM (a bottom rung team that is in the rebuilding process) and have thoroughly enjoyed this league. I haven't had this much fun in a league since the days that I was a commish of a sim hockey league. Gray Ulery, the commish, is extremely helpful and attentive to the detail of keeping a league running well and fairly as he doesn't own a team in the league and is an impartial commish. He will go out of his way to be impartial on all matters and puts much thought and effort into this league.

Don't be scared off by the fact that this league doesn't display current ratings. I was hesitant of that at first, but I think it makes the league that much better. You actually have to put some effort into evaluating players and focus on hiring a good staff and good scout especially. Anyone can build a franchise by just looking at the current ratings and going after the best there is, but it takes skill to judge a player by his stats and potential ratings and decide whether there's room to improve, or wehther the guy is too injury prone to ever amount to an elite player (injury rating is also hidden).

Just to address the earlier post in this thread. Don't listen to him. He claims much knowledge, but his first post to the league was a blasting of the league to the group email list prior to even being introduced, and without asking for help with the settings file blasting it for a file not being available that was readily available, as well as the rest of the settings file folder for htose that have issues exporting with just the gms file. Take it from this owner and multiple other owners that can attest to the fun of this league. A double digit amount of owners keep active twitter accounts for their teams, among many other communication methods such as Gmail, nto to mention a mutliple times a week podcast that is done with call ins from owners and such. You'd have to look far and wide to find a league that offers this much depth.

Yeah yeah lets hear all the great stories about how the league is so great. Butter up to the commish for points. I know everyone will come out saying how fantastic the league is. I get it.

Bottom line is hes overmanaging the league and theres an insane settings.zip file now. Wake up to it. Hes overmanaging this league to death. It's hyper and micro-managed to death. I want no part of a league thats become so bureaucratic that it's unintelligent anymore. All good leagues last because theyre kept simple by the commissioner. Hes so absorbed in his league that it's become a nightmare of lists and settings.zip files and podcasts and mailing lists. Ridiculous.

Last edited by the_32_pitch; 10-24-2011 at 12:37 AM.
Old 10-24-2011, 12:32 AM   #25
dadoctor
Bat Boy

I've been a member of Baseball Stars since its inception and have enjoyed participating very much. Our commish does a terrific job and has always been helpful to me whenever I've had any questions or problems.

I don't know 'the_32_pitch', the author of a couple previous posts, but after reading his initial e-mail to the league and his subsequent contact with our commish, he is definitely someone we can do without.
dadoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 12:35 AM   #26
Ts-Rock
Major Leagues

Quote:
Ive installed countless league files before. I don't even need instructions anymore. Just find the league file, make the .lg folder, extract it, and then put the accounts_gms.dat in the settings folder. Yeah, I get it. I dont need "help". Ive got 25 years experience with computers. I just need the people running the league to be competent enough not to screw up a simple process.

I posted this to his mailing list and for this minor gripe he bounces me from the list and the league completely. No wonder he has no GM's for his league. IF hes this sensitive then he obviously has mental issues.

"It doesn't work. With all due respect, this settings.zip file is ridiculous. Nothing but problems. Stop wasting my time. Why can't this league just have a simple accounts_gms.dat file like usual, like everyone else, a simple file that has worked the same way for years for every league I've ever been in? Not this one though. This one's got a fancy settings.zip file that of course doesn't work. I'm ready to quit this league already."
I've been in this league from the beginning and the Commish is top notch and one of the best around. He goes above and beyond to ensure every owner gets what they need and is always available to answer questions whenever they arise. We have been around for almost 2 years and our on our 4th season. The commish has rarely missed/postponed a sim and is always testing to ensure no problems pop up and is always looking out for what is best for the league.

your above email to the "list" was very aggressive for no particular reason and made you come across like a total ass, especially that being your very first impression to the league.

The other new owner who doesn't have "25 years of experience with computers" got the league installed with no issues. funny how that works, especially when followed the outlined instructions given by the commish.

You stated you have joined 4 leagues in the last week and you didn't want to waste your time and you were ready to quit so the Commish very graciously removed you. BSA is a very tough league to compete in and will most likely take more time to build your team then just setting lineups/rotations and going.

With your commitment to the at least 4 other leagues this is probably best for you and your limited time to move on. You obviously felt compelled to waste more of your time and come in here to try and slam/slander our great league and commish.

I wish you the best and I hope your other leagues enjoys you.
Ts-Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 12:37 AM   #27
rangers85
All Star Reserve

Location: Fort Worth, TX...home of the mighty TCU Horned Frogs
Quote:
Yeah yeah lets hear all the great stories about how the league is so great. Butter up to the commish for points. I know everyone will come out saying how fantastic the league is. I get it.

Bottom line is hes overmanaging the league and theres an insane settings.zip file now. Wake up to it. Hes overmanaging this league to death.
Just for info, the settings file is that way due to a few issues we had at OOTP12 conversion and was a recommendation that the commish sought out on this very board. Whenever there's a problem someone has, Gray seeks out an answer through all available means. I've never had any problems other than the first time exporting from 12 vs 10 where the league began. If you look back to 10, lots of people had problems there too with passive FTP across all of OOTP.

I'm sorry you had problems, but you blasted everything before even giving anything a chance. The settings file is a oen time download that you are blasting for very little reason. I don't see why you decided blasting the entire league rather than saying what trouble you were having was the reasonable course of action in your head.
rangers85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 12:41 AM   #28
bunkscene
Minors (Single A)

"I posted this to his mailing list and for this minor gripe he bounces me from the list and the league completely. No wonder he has no GM's for his league. IF hes this sensitive then he obviously has mental issues.

This is not a minor gripe. It is a personal attack and threat to quit the league... And this was your introductory message. If you had emailed him saying you had some issues, then you could have had it straightened out pretty easily. I can only assume that your patch does not match the league patch.

Anyway, if you don't like things, you can always say thanks, but no thanks and be on your way. No need for these theatrics.

Boston
BSA
bunkscene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 12:42 AM   #29
the_32_pitch
Banned

When theres a problem installing something as simple as the accounts_gms.dat file, that I've NEVER had a problem before with, that means the league is WAY overmanaged and become way too fanciful and ridiculous.
Old 10-24-2011, 12:45 AM   #30
the_32_pitch
Banned

Quote:
Just for info, the settings file is that way due to a few issues we had at OOTP12 conversion and was a recommendation that the commish sought out on this very board.
Yeah well thats a dumb recommendation quite frankly. To load up all the files like that and just dump them on people? I first had to restore the database because of the settings.zip file, and then also, for the first time in my OOTP history, my firewall asks me for permission for OOTP.

So you guys obviously have mental problems if you went ahead and dumped all the cfg files like that on everyone. Talk about a blunt move that is based on nothing but wishful thinking.
Old 10-24-2011, 12:49 AM   #31
Ts-Rock
Major Leagues

Quote:
Yeah well thats a dumb recommendation quite frankly. To load up all the files like that and just dump them on people? I first had to restore the database because of the settings.zip file, and then also, for the first time in my OOTP history, my firewall asks me for permission for OOTP.

So you guys obviously have mental problems if you went ahead and dumped all the cfg files like that on everyone. Talk about a blunt move that is based on nothing but wishful thinking.

why are you still posting? move on, we don't want to "waste your time" anymore. go find another league to join, you are such a great owner to have. I bet every commish out there is just waiting for you to join his league.
Ts-Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 12:49 AM   #32
the_32_pitch
Banned

You didn't wait or you weren't competent or patient enough during the conversion. And you messed it up obviously. And I don't need to deal with the remnants from that.

A commish can get through an OOTP conversion with only minor problems if hes competent enough. I dont have the time to deal with the leftovers from your incompetent handling of the 12 conversion.

And if youre going to jimmy-rig the settings folder like that then I want nothing to do with you. Shape up. I don't deal with human incompetence very well.
Old 10-24-2011, 12:56 AM   #33
the_32_pitch
Banned

Quote:
you blasted everything before even giving anything a chance.
I voiced a very minor complaint about the settings.zip file not "blasted everything". Are you soft, sensitive women in this league or what? How do you handle the workplace? Do you fall down and cry when your boss gets angry? Try growing a little thicker skin. Youre definitely sensitive type B personalities here thats for sure. If you can't handle a minor criticism on a little settings file then this world is going to eat you alive. You need to get thicker skin in this league.

Last edited by the_32_pitch; 10-24-2011 at 01:04 AM.
Old 10-24-2011, 02:57 AM   #34
carlsson342003
Bat Boy

Give it a rest, you were in the league for a day and you start by calling the the commissioner an idiot. Why not just set up your own league and run it the way you want. If everyone in the league thinks your an ass, it may be accurate.
carlsson342003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 03:20 AM   #35
TC Dale
Global Moderator

Let's resolve this to agree to disagree.. Taking this problem public both on league forums and now OOTP forums is not helping your cases, gentlemen.

Please edit yourself the rest of the way here folks. I will edit posts that do not fit our guidelines for this forum, and after my post here, warnings will ensue thereafter.

Thanks.

Last edited by TC Dale; 10-24-2011 at 03:23 AM.
TC Dale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 03:39 AM   #36
the_32_pitch
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlsson342003 View Post
Give it a rest, you were in the league for a day and you start by calling the the commissioner an idiot. Why not just set up your own league and run it the way you want. If everyone in the league thinks your an ass, it may be accurate.
Wrong. I was in the league ONE HOUR. And I could tell the league is a mess just from the settings.zip file that is used. And I want no part of it. It's rude to waste my time like that. And "everyone in the league thinks" is an argumentum ad populum fallacy you're making. Most people thought the earth was flat at one point too.

Last edited by the_32_pitch; 10-24-2011 at 05:49 AM.
Old 10-24-2011, 03:43 AM   #37
the_32_pitch
Banned

So I'm done with this. I said my peace and now I'm done with it. Mods are here. It's over. So long fellas. I wish it could have worked out but it didn't. Good luck to you.
Old 10-24-2011, 03:57 AM   #38
FlashTastic One
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Best league I've ever been in. Was in a few when I joined BSA and quite frankly the rest started to lose attention after I began to engulf myself within this fantastically ran sim with a traveling trophy.

Personally, I've yet to taste the sweetness of a championship but it's ran on time, with regular updates, a podcast, a monster twitter feed where words are exchanged (playfully), friendships created, and monsters roam the world of the great BSA.

Seriously though, utterly fantastic league. Couldn't be happier. If your a good GM and looking for a good league, please give it a look-see.

But I beg of you, please be seriously interested. The league is extremely involved, with tons of history.
FlashTastic One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 05:12 AM   #39
the_32_pitch
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashTastic One View Post
Best league I've ever been in. Was in a few when I joined BSA and quite frankly the rest started to lose attention after I began to engulf myself within this fantastically ran sim with a traveling trophy.

Personally, I've yet to taste the sweetness of a championship but it's ran on time, with regular updates, a podcast, a monster twitter feed where words are exchanged (playfully), friendships created, and monsters roam the world of the great BSA.

Seriously though, utterly fantastic league. Couldn't be happier. If your a good GM and looking for a good league, please give it a look-see.

But I beg of you, please be seriously interested. The league is extremely involved, with tons of history.
Yeah it's so great, monster twitter feed, extremely involved, best league youve ever been in, but new GM's can't install the accounts_gms.dat file without a major hassle. When the fundamentals are lost like they are in this league, then sayonora.

Great twitter feed but it can't get a simple thing like the accounts_gms.dat to people properly. Fix the settings folder issues first and foremost and concentrate on all the perks afterwards. Settings folder issues should never be a problem to any GM EVER. No person should ever have to waste their time on something like that.

If it's a reasonable issue fine. I'm willing to be patient and deal with it. Stuff happens. But getting the accounts_gms.dat file into the settings folder isn't ironed out? Give me a break fellas.

Last edited by the_32_pitch; 10-24-2011 at 05:20 AM.
Old 10-24-2011, 11:17 AM   #40
coljesep
All Star Reserve

So... I am NOT a member of the BSA (coughvbl6) but I can tell you pitch32, that you were clearly the problem and not the league or the commish.

As a commish of another league, I know that when you bring in a new owner no matter what the first tasks are, they may seem overwhelming. You apparently choose to take frustration out in front of every owner and demean the commish and his league within a short period of time after joining the league?

What could possibly come from that other than a flame war like this? If a league isn't for you, you respectfully step away... you don't bash the league and it's commish simply because YOU cannot figure something out.

When it comes down to it, as a non member, I can tell you that you couldn't be more wrong about the setup of the league and the commish's competency.

I would suspect that when you were removed, the league had a big sigh of relief because if you can't figure out how to unzip a settings file without turning into the hulk, then how would you have handled it when they all took your team to the woodshed?

Have a great day though, hopefully nobody asks you to use any tricky programs like I dunno, winzip?
coljesep is offline   Reply With Quote