Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 10-18-2019, 12:29 PM   #1
Hageneezz
All Star Reserve

Another question about stats & modifiers

Sorry to bother everyone here, but some more questions..

What I like to achieve is:

I have a fictional world, with three major leagues (US, Asian, Latin American) and a couple of European leagues

At the end of each season, I would like to have a tournament between all the league champions..

I would also like the statistical output to be kinda identical, in all of these leagues

What also is important is that I like to have a bit of realism, so to have the players from the major leagues be much better then their European counterparts, so that 90% of the time a team from the major leagues will win the tournament

Now, I have been fiddling with Traditional OOTP Player Creation Modifiers, and Sabermetric Player Modifiers, and I succeed in making the European players be much lesser than the major league players.

But stat wise I am getting strange results.

After the first season batting stats for the European leagues explode, and go way beyond the average league totals, which I can`t understand

Hope someone can help
Hageneezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 04:38 PM   #2
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hageneezz View Post
Sorry to bother everyone here, but some more questions..

What I like to achieve is:

I have a fictional world, with three major leagues (US, Asian, Latin American) and a couple of European leagues

At the end of each season, I would like to have a tournament between all the league champions..

I would also like the statistical output to be kinda identical, in all of these leagues

What also is important is that I like to have a bit of realism, so to have the players from the major leagues be much better then their European counterparts, so that 90% of the time a team from the major leagues will win the tournament

Now, I have been fiddling with Traditional OOTP Player Creation Modifiers, and Sabermetric Player Modifiers, and I succeed in making the European players be much lesser than the major league players.

But stat wise I am getting strange results.

After the first season batting stats for the European leagues explode, and go way beyond the average league totals, which I can`t understand

Hope someone can help
Easier than you might think to get the exact stats output (or very similar) that you want for any leagues that you play. First go to Game Settings > League Settings > Stats & AI > League Totals

I strongly, strongly recommend not using auto-calc prior to the regular season, and not using lock league totals prior to the regular season. Right at the top of that page there's a line that reads "Totals from year: Select Year". Every year on the day before Opening Day, you're gonna click on "Select Year", and select the year from all of baseball history that you want your stats to resemble the most. You can find the Year-By-Year Batting Averages here, and the Year-By-Year Pitching Averages here.

All the numbers are listed on a per game basis, plus the BA/OBP/SLG/OPS batting slash line across MLB in that season. Sift through them and figure out what historical season you want your stats output to emulate the most. What type of offensive environment do you want to see in your game? For me, I like 1984 the most, but that may not feel comfortable to you. With so many seasons to choose from, I can guarantee you, you'll find something to your liking. Once you find that season, every year on the day before Opening Day, select it, and the totals from that season will be brought in, and at the same time the game will input modifiers that will help it reach those totals.

Don't worry about whether or not your league size matches up with the season you want to bring in because the game will figure out ratios of each offensive event on a per at bat basis, so whether your league totals 300,000 AB in a season, or the current MLB standard of about 165,000 AB, the game will figure out how to make your numbers come out pretty close to the way you want them. They will differ according to the talent level in your league. More talented pitchers than hitters? Expect offense to come down a bit, and the opposite if it's the other way.

Why monkey around with Modifiers and potentially mess things up, when you can have the game do it for you? The KISS principle really applies here. Remember to do this the day before Opening Day every year, because that's when teams are the closest to what they're going to look like in the coming season. I'm quite sure I've forgotten something because I'm sick as a dog right now, but I'll post it later if I remember. Ah...You'll also want to uncheck any boxes that say "auto-adjust..." if they're in your game (I play historical, and you might be playing fictional, so I'd have no knowledge of whether those boxes are in your game) because you're the one making the adjustments every year. I'll post more suggestions in this thread as they come to my foggy brain.

I also found out that the game says the MLB BABIP in 1984 was .289, when in fact it was .286, and I'm itching to see if that's why I felt the results were a bit "hot", and switched my stats output season to 1992 when I played OOTP19 (which is what you see in the pictures). Ask as many questions as you need to. Pictures follow below...
Attached Images
Image Image 

OOTP post re-FG IDs here: https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...postcount=3198

My DB which restores Fed Leaguers here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZoN...B2GCcULxt/view

Instructions for the DB: https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...07&postcount=9

Last edited by actionjackson; 10-18-2019 at 04:39 PM.
actionjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 06:51 PM   #3
Hageneezz
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by actionjackson View Post
Easier than you might think to get the exact stats output (or very similar) that you want for any leagues that you play. First go to Game Settings > League Settings > Stats & AI > League Totals

I strongly, strongly recommend not using auto-calc prior to the regular season, and not using lock league totals prior to the regular season. Right at the top of that page there's a line that reads "Totals from year: Select Year". Every year on the day before Opening Day, you're gonna click on "Select Year", and select the year from all of baseball history that you want your stats to resemble the most. You can find the Year-By-Year Batting Averages here, and the Year-By-Year Pitching Averages here.

All the numbers are listed on a per game basis, plus the BA/OBP/SLG/OPS batting slash line across MLB in that season. Sift through them and figure out what historical season you want your stats output to emulate the most. What type of offensive environment do you want to see in your game? For me, I like 1984 the most, but that may not feel comfortable to you. With so many seasons to choose from, I can guarantee you, you'll find something to your liking. Once you find that season, every year on the day before Opening Day, select it, and the totals from that season will be brought in, and at the same time the game will input modifiers that will help it reach those totals.

Don't worry about whether or not your league size matches up with the season you want to bring in because the game will figure out ratios of each offensive event on a per at bat basis, so whether your league totals 300,000 AB in a season, or the current MLB standard of about 165,000 AB, the game will figure out how to make your numbers come out pretty close to the way you want them. They will differ according to the talent level in your league. More talented pitchers than hitters? Expect offense to come down a bit, and the opposite if it's the other way.

Why monkey around with Modifiers and potentially mess things up, when you can have the game do it for you? The KISS principle really applies here. Remember to do this the day before Opening Day every year, because that's when teams are the closest to what they're going to look like in the coming season. I'm quite sure I've forgotten something because I'm sick as a dog right now, but I'll post it later if I remember. Ah...You'll also want to uncheck any boxes that say "auto-adjust..." if they're in your game (I play historical, and you might be playing fictional, so I'd have no knowledge of whether those boxes are in your game) because you're the one making the adjustments every year. I'll post more suggestions in this thread as they come to my foggy brain.

I also found out that the game says the MLB BABIP in 1984 was .289, when in fact it was .286, and I'm itching to see if that's why I felt the results were a bit "hot", and switched my stats output season to 1992 when I played OOTP19 (which is what you see in the pictures). Ask as many questions as you need to. Pictures follow below...
This is what I'm looking for! Thank you so much for your elaborate explanation!

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-A505FN met Tapatalk
Old 10-18-2019, 07:23 PM   #4
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
This is what I'm looking for! Thank you so much for your elaborate explanation!

Let me know what year you choose.

My DB which restores Fed Leaguers here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZoN...B2GCcULxt/view

Old 10-20-2019, 12:11 AM   #5
old fat bald guy
Minors (Triple A)

I like your global concept, Hageneezz.
old fat bald guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 07:12 AM   #6
Hageneezz
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Let me know what year you choose.
I am going to use 1980

Old 10-20-2019, 07:14 AM   #7
Hageneezz
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by old fat bald guy View Post
I like your global concept, Hageneezz.
Thanks, I really enjoy setting up this world, I forgot to mention I also have an African league, and plan to add a World Cup.

Old 10-20-2019, 12:25 PM   #8
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I am going to use 1980

Very nice choice. The 1980s are great to base your stats on. HR aren't crazy. Lots and lots of SB, which gives teams many different ways to score runs, and win a game. The only years I would avoid (my choice, not everybody's) are 1986/1987 (bit too much offense for me, especially 1987), and 1988 (more than double the next highest league wide BK [balk] rate in MLB history - I don't like balks). Just don't forget to reset your league's BABIP to .287 because sometimes the game gets it wrong (in the case of 1984, the game says .289, but it was really .286). I hope it works well for you, and let us know your results, either in this thread, or in a new thread in the "Historical Simulations" section of the boards. Enjoy.

Old 10-20-2019, 12:50 PM   #9
Hageneezz
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Very nice choice. The 1980s are great to base your stats on. HR aren't crazy. Lots and lots of SB, which gives teams many different ways to score runs, and win a game. The only years I would avoid (my choice, not everybody's) are 1986/1987 (bit too much offense for me, especially 1987), and 1988 (more than double the next highest league wide BK [balk] rate in MLB history - I don't like balks). Just don't forget to reset your league's BABIP to .287 because sometimes the game gets it wrong (in the case of 1984, the game says .289, but it was really .286). I hope it works well for you, and let us know your results, either in this thread, or in a new thread in the "Historical Simulations" section of the boards. Enjoy.
Thank you very much, for assisting me with this stuff, I super appreciate it
Old 10-20-2019, 01:47 PM   #10
Hageneezz
All Star Reserve

For whose interested, here are the teams in my 'world'

Code:
NORDIC BASEBALL LEAGUE

Akureyri Beagles			Borgarbraut Arena, 4500
Copenhagen Cosmos			Norrebro Grounds, 5000
Lahti Legends				Annkuri Fields, 3500
Malmo Mallards				Bellevue Stadium, 5500
Odense Pride				Pride Ballpark, 3000
Oslo Norsemen				Bjerke Stadium, 5000
Reykjavik Geysers			Hlidar Ballpark, 5000
Stavanger Schooners			Lagard Stadium, 4800
Stockholm Seals				Lovon Fields, 5000
Tampere Badgers				Atlaspuisto Coliseum, 2500

UNITED BASEBALL LEAGUE	

Belfast Dockers				Woodvale Park. 2000
Birmingham Bulldogs			Victoria Park, 5000
Cardiff Comets				Riverside Arena, 4500
Dublin Bishops				Drumcondra Ballpark, 3500
Edinburgh Eclipse			Sighthill Stadium, 3800
Glasgow Tartans				Parkhead, 5500
Liverpool Skylarks			Fairfield Stadium, 5500
London Lancers				Lambeth Arena, 7500
Manchester Meteors			Audenshaw Arena, 5500
Nottingham Archers			Woodthorpe Stadium, 5000

MEDITERRANEAN BASEBALL FEDERATION

Barcelona Explorers			Explorer Stadium, 10000
Bologna Bluebirds			Antonio Ivan Pini Ballpark, 12000
Imperia Imperials			Buggio Stadium, 3500
Lyon Zebras				Laennec Stadium, 4500
Madrid Millionaires			Parque del Oeste, 9500
Milan Mohawks				Barona Fields, 8000
Paris Musketeers			Parc de Montsouris, 5500
Parma Paladins				Parco del Naviglio, 10500
Rome Emperors				Emperor Park, 8000
Zagreb Spiders				Zaluka Stadium, 3000

CONTINENTAL BASEBALL LEAGUE

Amsterdam Argonauts			Olympic Stadium, 10000
Berlin Polar Bears			Berlin Moabit Stadium, 7500
Eindhoven Extreme			Schouwbroek Ballpark, 5000
Frankfurt Foxes				Rebstockpark, 4000
Haarlem Barons				Haarlem Ballpark, 8000
Moscow Militia				Marushkino Park, 7000
Prague Bohemians			Olsany Arena, 4500
Rotterdam Ports				Overscie Stadium, 9000
St. Petersburg Revolution		Revolution Ballpark, 5000
Utrecht Steam				Steam Stadium, 3000

NORTH AMERICAN BASEBALL LEAGUE

NORTHEAST

Baltimore Bombers			Rosebank Stadium, 28000	
Boston Pilgrims				Eagle Hill Ballpark, 35000
New York Valiants			Brooklyn Arena, 39000
Philadelphia Phantoms			Overbrook Stadium, 24500
Washington Diplomats			Rock Creek Park, 24000

SOUTH

Atlanta Rebels				Rebel Stadium, 31500
Charlotte Express			Express Stadium, 24000
Dallas Wranglers			Trinity Oaks, 24000
Houston Drillers			Highlands Stadium, 25000
Miami Gators				Pinewood Park, 20000

CENTRAL

Chicago Cyclones			Schaumburg Stadium, 34000
Cleveland Unions			Wakefield Stadium, 20500
Detroit Wolverines			North End Stadium, 25500
Milwaukee Monarchs			Maroons Park, 19500
St. Louis Robins			Arsenal Street Ballpark, 35000

WEST

Denver Mustangs				Colorado Ballpark, 18000
Los Angeles Stellars			Lynwood Stadium, 37000
Oakland Oaks				Eastmond Fields, 24000
San Francisco Earthquakes		Stillings Avenue Stadium. 30500		
Seattle Storm				Renton Fields, 24500

ASIAN BASEBALL FEDERATION

NORTH

Beijing Pandas				Beiqijiazhen Stadium, 10000
Busan Brawlers				Buk Gu Ballpark, 18000
Nagoya Ninjas				Tsushima Stadium, 25000				
Osaka Elks				Sakai Stadium, 20000
Sapporo Samurai				Samurai Stadium, 24000
Seoul Silvertips			Silvertip Stadium, 15000
Shanghai Seagulls			Situanzhen Stadium, 9000
Taipei Moguls				Tamsui Ballpark, 12000
Tokyo Typhoon				Hamura Park, 28000
Yokohama Whales				Yokohama Stadium, 23500

SOUTH

Adelaide Enforcers			Ridgehaven Stadium, 9000
Auckland Acorns				Acorn Fields, 5000
Brisbane Boomerangs			Browns Plains, 4500
Hanoi Hammers				Hang Bo Stadium, 4000
Jakarta Gems				Bekasi Stadium, 4500
Melbourne Bandits			Ringwood Ballpark, 7500
Perth Dingos				Wangara Stadium, 7000
Singapore Sluggers			Sentosa Stadium, 5500
Sydney Surf				Faulconbridge, 12000
Wellington Waves			Wellington Baseball Arena, 7500

LATIN BASEBALL ASSOCIATION

NORTH

Guadalajara Pumas			Monraz Stadium, 9000
Havana Guerillas			Cojimar Ballpark, 17500
Monterrey Parrots			Guadalupe Ballpark, 12000
Panama City Riot			Riot Park, 7500
San Salvador Sparks			Altavista Fields, 8000

SOUTH

Barranquilla Buffaloes			Riomar Stadium, 14000
Buenos Aires Aristocrats 		Reta Stadium, 5500
Caracas Empires				Petare Park, 10000
Rio de Janeiro Admirals			Rio Bonito, 7500
Santiago Spartans			Republica Stadium, 5000

AFRICAN BASEBALL CONFEDERATION

Cape Town Cannons			Rondebosch Arena, 7500
Durban Power				Bayhead Ballpark, 8000
Harare Buzzards				Greencroft Stadium, 3000
Kampala Bees				Rubaga Stadium, 4000
Lusaka Silverbacks			Lusaka Stadium, 3000
Nairobi Naturals			Eastleigh Park, 7500
Pretoria Rhinos				Meyerspark, 4500
Upington Unicorns			Raaswater Stadium, 4000
Old 10-20-2019, 01:47 PM   #11
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Thank you very much, for assisting me with this stuff, I super appreciate it
Not a problem. But much of the credit should go to Markus for allowing for this option, which is one of the multitude that he has put in the game over the years that benefit us all, and make this the king of all baseball sims. I've just put it to good use, enjoyed the results, and spread the word about its effect on my games. No more deadball, no more superball, just straight up baseball. I hope it works. Obviously, you're playing fictional, and I'm playing historical, so I'm not 100% sure it will work, but I'm willing to give it a shot and see what happens by seeing what results it gives you.

Old 10-20-2019, 01:53 PM   #12
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
For whose interested, here are the teams in my 'world'

Code:
NORDIC BASEBALL LEAGUE

Akureyri Beagles            Borgarbraut Arena, 4500
Copenhagen Cosmos            Norrebro Grounds, 5000
Lahti Legends                Annkuri Fields, 3500
Malmo Mallards                Bellevue Stadium, 5500
Odense Pride                Pride Ballpark, 3000
Oslo Norsemen                Bjerke Stadium, 5000
Reykjavik Geysers            Hlidar Ballpark, 5000
Stavanger Schooners            Lagard Stadium, 4800
Stockholm Seals                Lovon Fields, 5000
Tampere Badgers                Atlaspuisto Coliseum, 2500

UNITED BASEBALL LEAGUE    

Belfast Dockers                Woodvale Park. 2000
Birmingham Bulldogs            Victoria Park, 5000
Cardiff Comets                Riverside Arena, 4500
Dublin Bishops                Drumcondra Ballpark, 3500
Edinburgh Eclipse            Sighthill Stadium, 3800
Glasgow Tartans                Parkhead, 5500
Liverpool Skylarks            Fairfield Stadium, 5500
London Lancers                Lambeth Arena, 7500
Manchester Meteors            Audenshaw Arena, 5500
Nottingham Archers            Woodthorpe Stadium, 5000

MEDITERRANEAN BASEBALL FEDERATION

Barcelona Explorers            Explorer Stadium, 10000
Bologna Bluebirds            Antonio Ivan Pini Ballpark, 12000
Imperia Imperials            Buggio Stadium, 3500
Lyon Zebras                Laennec Stadium, 4500
Madrid Millionaires            Parque del Oeste, 9500
Milan Mohawks                Barona Fields, 8000
Paris Musketeers            Parc de Montsouris, 5500
Parma Paladins                Parco del Naviglio, 10500
Rome Emperors                Emperor Park, 8000
Zagreb Spiders                Zaluka Stadium, 3000

CONTINENTAL BASEBALL LEAGUE

Amsterdam Argonauts            Olympic Stadium, 10000
Berlin Polar Bears            Berlin Moabit Stadium, 7500
Eindhoven Extreme            Schouwbroek Ballpark, 5000
Frankfurt Foxes                Rebstockpark, 4000
Haarlem Barons                Haarlem Ballpark, 8000
Moscow Militia                Marushkino Park, 7000
Prague Bohemians            Olsany Arena, 4500
Rotterdam Ports                Overscie Stadium, 9000
St. Petersburg Revolution        Revolution Ballpark, 5000
Utrecht Steam                Steam Stadium, 3000

NORTH AMERICAN BASEBALL LEAGUE

NORTHEAST

Baltimore Bombers            Rosebank Stadium, 28000    
Boston Pilgrims                Eagle Hill Ballpark, 35000
New York Valiants            Brooklyn Arena, 39000
Philadelphia Phantoms            Overbrook Stadium, 24500
Washington Diplomats            Rock Creek Park, 24000

SOUTH

Atlanta Rebels                Rebel Stadium, 31500
Charlotte Express            Express Stadium, 24000
Dallas Wranglers            Trinity Oaks, 24000
Houston Drillers            Highlands Stadium, 25000
Miami Gators                Pinewood Park, 20000

CENTRAL

Chicago Cyclones            Schaumburg Stadium, 34000
Cleveland Unions            Wakefield Stadium, 20500
Detroit Wolverines            North End Stadium, 25500
Milwaukee Monarchs            Maroons Park, 19500
St. Louis Robins            Arsenal Street Ballpark, 35000

WEST

Denver Mustangs                Colorado Ballpark, 18000
Los Angeles Stellars            Lynwood Stadium, 37000
Oakland Oaks                Eastmond Fields, 24000
San Francisco Earthquakes        Stillings Avenue Stadium. 30500        
Seattle Storm                Renton Fields, 24500

ASIAN BASEBALL FEDERATION

NORTH

Beijing Pandas                Beiqijiazhen Stadium, 10000
Busan Brawlers                Buk Gu Ballpark, 18000
Nagoya Ninjas                Tsushima Stadium, 25000                
Osaka Elks                Sakai Stadium, 20000
Sapporo Samurai                Samurai Stadium, 24000
Seoul Silvertips            Silvertip Stadium, 15000
Shanghai Seagulls            Situanzhen Stadium, 9000
Taipei Moguls                Tamsui Ballpark, 12000
Tokyo Typhoon                Hamura Park, 28000
Yokohama Whales                Yokohama Stadium, 23500

SOUTH

Adelaide Enforcers            Ridgehaven Stadium, 9000
Auckland Acorns                Acorn Fields, 5000
Brisbane Boomerangs            Browns Plains, 4500
Hanoi Hammers                Hang Bo Stadium, 4000
Jakarta Gems                Bekasi Stadium, 4500
Melbourne Bandits            Ringwood Ballpark, 7500
Perth Dingos                Wangara Stadium, 7000
Singapore Sluggers            Sentosa Stadium, 5500
Sydney Surf                Faulconbridge, 12000
Wellington Waves            Wellington Baseball Arena, 7500

LATIN BASEBALL ASSOCIATION

NORTH

Guadalajara Pumas            Monraz Stadium, 9000
Havana Guerillas            Cojimar Ballpark, 17500
Monterrey Parrots            Guadalupe Ballpark, 12000
Panama City Riot            Riot Park, 7500
San Salvador Sparks            Altavista Fields, 8000

SOUTH

Barranquilla Buffaloes            Riomar Stadium, 14000
Buenos Aires Aristocrats         Reta Stadium, 5500
Caracas Empires                Petare Park, 10000
Rio de Janeiro Admirals            Rio Bonito, 7500
Santiago Spartans            Republica Stadium, 5000

AFRICAN BASEBALL CONFEDERATION

Cape Town Cannons            Rondebosch Arena, 7500
Durban Power                Bayhead Ballpark, 8000
Harare Buzzards                Greencroft Stadium, 3000
Kampala Bees                Rubaga Stadium, 4000
Lusaka Silverbacks            Lusaka Stadium, 3000
Nairobi Naturals            Eastleigh Park, 7500
Pretoria Rhinos                Meyerspark, 4500
Upington Unicorns            Raaswater Stadium, 4000
So cool. Love the team nicknames. Are you gonna design uniforms for them too (very time consuming), or just take what the game gives you? One thing's for sure. Any team that makes the postseason is gonna rack up a ton of Air Miles.

Old 10-20-2019, 02:48 PM   #13
Hageneezz
All Star Reserve

Quote:
So cool. Love the team nicknames. Are you gonna design uniforms for them too (very time consuming), or just take what the game gives you? One thing's for sure. Any team that makes the postseason is gonna rack up a ton of Air Miles.
Thanks!, I`m still testing stat wise, haven`t even thought about unis etc...Still have so much work to do, but that`s part of the fun, at least for me it is.
Old 10-20-2019, 03:52 PM   #14
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Thanks!, I`m still testing stat wise, haven`t even thought about unis etc...Still have so much work to do, but that`s part of the fun, at least for me it is.
Unis are one of the reasons I stick with a historical MLB setup. I have a wicked collection of historical facegens, logos, unis, and caps that were done by a whole bunch of amazing people here.

Old 10-20-2019, 07:01 PM   #15
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

make sure:

all are ML- level leagues.

whatever changs you make, make them to all (if not rules in some cases, then anything related to player ratings, development, TCR, etc etc... things that impact ratings of the player in significant ways must be the same)

all PCMs are 1.000 (the same, if not) for the ML-level in each.

make sure drafts are proportional. this shouldn't affect talent too much, though. a larger league will be less volatile. a smaller league may have larger swings in talent from year-to-year. chaning # of rounds won't change that fact much, but could cause flooding, nonetheless.

a large league may pump out a bunch of half-useful players but can't make that ML-level then migrate to another league and muck up the talent distribution.. or, maybe you want that sort of ebb and flow of player movement etc etc... just depends.

if stats are where you want them, you shouldn't have to change LTM. if you do, change them for all leauges to match at all times.

your Totals:LTM essentially creates the laws of physics. otherwise a power of 50 in one league will mean something different in another league not related to competition and RNG results. it will only be different due to a dial that isn't the same.

why you need to change LTM in many situations:
seed players or RL players transitioning to players fictionally created for a draft... players initially in the league are not quite the same and you will definitely see some sort of shift in the stats that will never "ebb/flow" back. it's a new equillibrium at that point.

so, the first 20-30 years of any league will definitely shift from it's original equillibrium. nearly impossible not to. you may like the shift and keep it...

you can avoid this whole snafu by pre-dating league, running it so the draft fills minors and majors over time, then delete history and retired players. purge them... it'll be a brand new league at any date you choose.

also, the way those modifiers are generated (when you select a year, it likely "autocalculates" a new set -- simply see if they change to know, fairly sure it does). but, you probably want them autocalculated on opening day when the AI has the rosters set up as they will be used for the most part - definteiyl closer to reality than ST rosters. that's only important the first time or if you select another year to mimic, if not on that date or after AI sets rosters for season... doing it each year will most likely be a bad thing. (picking a new year does autocalc, but as long as its a different selected year each time, you won't cause flat results)

other thing to consider: you pick any year... but your league's current group of players is low in power relative to what is possible with created players over time. that means the only way it can go is up from that first year in regards to HR/power related things.

this will happen for one or more stats and possibly too high and can only go down context... plus everything between. it's a mess in any one year.

if the modifiers aren't the same in each league, then they are not equivalents. that means a 80 power vs same exact quality pitcher and all other facotrs remaining the same will be different... if so, what is the cause of the difference? magic?
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 11:07 PM   #16
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

1984 settings:

1901: .259/.325/.385/.710, 4.49 R/G, .285 BABIP, 4.06 ERA, .979 FLD%, 68.80% SB%, 8.95 H/9, 0.80 HR/9, 3.34 BB/9, 5.48 K/9, 1.64 K/BB, 1.37 WHIP

1902: .260/.325/.387/.712, 4.44 R/G, .287 BABIP, 4.02 ERA, .980 FLD%, 66.59% SB%, 9.02 H/9, 0.80 HR/9, 3.33 BB/9, 5.56 K/9, 1.67 K/BB, 1.37 WHIP

RL 1984: .260/.323/.385/.708, 4.26 R/G, .286 BABIP, 3.81 ERA, .978 FLD%, 66.74% SB%, 8.92 H/9, 0.78 HR/9, 3.18 BB/9, 5.37 K/9, 1.69 K/BB, 1.34 WHIP

Promising so far, partly because before I've started each season I've reset the BABIP from the .289 that the game thinks it should be down to .286. I think that's really helped, as in 19, I was getting closer to .265/.330/.390/.720, and I think the higher BABIP was part of the reasoning. The higher R/G that's occurring so far could just be a matter of sequencing.

EDIT: Added in some other ratios, and averages to get a deeper look at what's going on so far.

Last edited by actionjackson; 10-21-2019 at 02:24 PM. Reason: Add-in stats I forgot
Old 10-21-2019, 01:39 PM   #17
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
1984 settings:

1901: .259/.325/.385/.710, 4.49 R/G, .285 BABIP, 4.06 ERA, .979 FLD%, 68.80% SB%

1902: .260/.325/.387/.712, 4.44 R/G, .287 BABIP, 4.02 ERA, .980 FLD%, 66.59% SB%

RL 1984: .260/.323/.385/.708, 4.26 R/G, .286 BABIP, 3.81 ERA, .978 FLD%, 66.74% SB%

Promising so far, partly because before I've started each season I've reset the BABIP from the .289 that the game thinks it should be down to .286. I think that's really helped, as in 19, I was getting closer to .265/.330/.390/.720, and I think the higher BABIP was part of the reasoning. The higher R/G that's occurring so far could just be a matter of sequencing.
My solution to the higher offensive environment in OOTP19 was to choke off the offense by switching the stats output to 1992. I'm glad I figured out the whole BABIP thing, because I'd prefer to stay in 1984.

Last edited by actionjackson; 10-21-2019 at 02:10 PM.
Old 10-23-2019, 09:28 PM   #18
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

what's the hr total at now? drop it to 5000-5500 will probably help with '19. adjust other stats to add up otherwise. e.g. change babip to match new math of totals.

probably want to tick up contact a bit or drip k's -- resulting in a bit higher batting avg.

just my 2 cents on out of the box totals, typically. it's funny, i added hr compared to box totals early on, and last few years always reduce. this stuff is arbitrary, of course.

the rest is just 'blah blah blah' but the next paragraph and last 3 might be useful.

i tried to change my focus to get certain results from the elite players, and then let the dominos fall after that. if that meant more hr, so be it. i never went over 4500 for a long time. ~5000-5200 is my preferred spot based on results. i see "60" hr guys 2+ times in 100 years, but not approching a yearly thing in any way.

a max(or+) speed/baserunner can reach ricky henderson single season totals. it also takes a good player otherwise to get on base enough to accomplish it, so it's still very rare.

I change totals/modifiers that get me on the cusp of a .400-season hitter being possible.

i like to raise the walks a bit, too. just because i don't like the all-or-nothing plate approach type of atmosphere.

Otherwise, in real life the numbers are very similar over time, or at least for 30-50 years at at time in some cases. the historical analysis in the game is cool to look at. think that's only available with ml-history built into leagues and real players? not something i do often anymore. it could be gone.

in ootp, i find that a little extra offense is good for the body, ignoring steroid or juiced ball? seasons. my money is on a new designer roid, but who knows.

it creates more room stratification amongst the player's ratings -- especially pitchers. i don't think it negatively impacts the elite pitchers, in fact i think it helps them perform better relative to their counterparts, all other factors remaining the same.

it doesn't have to be all or nothing... adjusting hr is the quickes 1-step to change your league drastically. i'm sure some 'eras' and other personalized customization can create a similar result without raising league ERA by .50. (fwiw i like ~4.2-4.3 era over time, as a poor way to sum it up with a flawed stat. 30T*162 not 15T per year #s = less volatile.)
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 02:57 PM   #19
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Figured out why the R/G and ERA (obviously) were higher than the other numbers suggested they should be. I was using the DH in both leagues, but basing my stats off of 1984 MLB, which of course only had the DH in one league. I ran a test in OOTP19 taking this into account, and all the other numbers stayed pretty much the same, but the R/G dipped to 4.28, while the ERA went to 3.82. Actual 1984 numbers in these categories?: 4.26, and 3.81. That is so good it's almost too close for comfort.

Old 10-27-2019, 07:12 PM   #20
JasonC23
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Figured out why the R/G and ERA (obviously) were higher than the other numbers suggested they should be. I was using the DH in both leagues, but basing my stats off of 1984 MLB, which of course only had the DH in one league. I ran a test in OOTP19 taking this into account, and all the other numbers stayed pretty much the same, but the R/G dipped to 4.28, while the ERA went to 3.82. Actual 1984 numbers in these categories?: 4.26, and 3.81. That is so good it's almost too close for comfort.
How, specifically, did you compensate for having the DH in both leagues? I've set up leagues the same way, using 1984 as the basis but having DHs in both leagues, and would love to know how to adjust for better stats output. Thanks!

JasonC23 is offline   Reply With Quote