Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 08-21-2019, 01:00 PM   #21
BIG17EASY
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curve Ball Dave View Post
I don't recall it being an issue in previous versions.
OK, then disregard my poor memory. As far as I can tell, service time for international complex players works correctly. That's your experience, too, right?
BIG17EASY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 01:13 PM   #22
Curve Ball Dave
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG17EASY View Post
OK, then disregard my poor memory. As far as I can tell, service time for international complex players works correctly. That's your experience, too, right?

It is. And in my universe, if a kid is promoted to Rookie from the complex at 17 and after three seasons of Rookie ball is stil not ready for SSA at age 20 he doesn't have much a future anyway
Old 08-21-2019, 01:31 PM   #23
BIG17EASY
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curve Ball Dave View Post
It is. And in my universe, if a kid is promoted to Rookie from the complex at 17 and after three seasons of Rookie ball is stil not ready for SSA at age 20 he doesn't have much a future anyway
Right. I actually probably promote only about two-thirds of the kids out of my international complex to begin with. If they reach the age of 18 and aren't close to contributing to my DSL team, I release them directly from the complex.
BIG17EASY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 03:06 PM   #24
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

That's the problem with using age at lower levels - at least as the primary rule.

service time will allow the college kids somewhere to go.

one thing i've never tried is a rookie or short-a specifically setup for college kids... but tuning that so the team is always filled would take some understanding of how many of each are created and how many of those are the 'talented' type that start in S-A or A ball straight out of college.

if i just set service time to 2-3 years in rookie, the ai will sor that stuff out well, as long as it has enough players. any significant demand above will cause a vacuum below. or vice versa.

you want enough filler per rules so that the talented players and fast developers can move freely at their own pace and not demoted or promoted due to positional need on a team.

fwiw, a 2-3 year service time with real ML MiL system won't work unless your draft is HUGE.

i've made the suggestion before... they should make a roster rule option checkbox for "or" or "and" on those rules - or being not default, so the only thing that would have to be added on the GUI.

same reason i suggest service time later on, due to age variations when they are drafted and amount of time needed to develope. However, i don't want 25-26-year olds in AA, or very few.

On top of the FA checks for released players, i sort by age to see if any team has "too many" older or younger players... older being the main concern.

if you have a service or age limit and you see 90% of the team is at that limit each year, you should make some adjustments, because everyone, including the important prospects, are likely only moving along based on rules and not development. less concerning is if 90% are at the minimum... still not great, but at least guys aren't below where they should be, but possibly above.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 02:16 PM   #25
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

btw service time for int'l prospects isn't quite like it works in RL.

if under a certain age, they get an extra year in RL... is it 18 or 17? i don't recall, but i recall that's how it worked in the near past, unless they have altered the rules since.

ootp doesn't follow these rules exactly.

i'm pretty sure they do not accrue service time the first year only. this basically mimics what i mentioned... you'd have to check if a 18-19 year-old at time of singning also gets that free year or not... it would be fairly easy for them to mimic RL, tbh. it's not like it's complicated logic.

i know this worked exactly like that in 19 at the least. pretty sure it's still the same without spending 5 minutes looking right now, lol. i usually promote from complex when that position is needed, unless they are talented. i use service time rules at lower levels. if i forgot, i end up with ~18-19 year olds with no talent that have to play in S-A or A-ball due to service time. now, that didn't happen to me in '19, but i learned it at some point for that very reason.

Last edited by NoOne; 08-24-2019 at 02:18 PM.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote