Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 05-01-2019, 12:53 PM   #1
JD396
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Ghost Minor Leaguers & Fatigue

So, I've been playing through a historical game - started in 1946. I've played all of the games by hand all the way through 1950 so far (started in OOTP18). I've been playing with ghost minor leaguers rather than the fictional players. While I have a nice load of minor leaguers down there, I have almost no position players on the bench.

The issue I'm having, that I don't recall having in the past, is fatigue for the real players. They just play and play and play to the point of exhaustion and the AI managers never, ever give them a day off. Ever.

The only solution I've found is to take over managing the lineups and pitching staffs myself and making sure there's a bench player scheduled to play once in a while in the depth chart. I don't want to do that (partly because there's just not that many minor leaguers in a historical game like this), I just want the AI manager to deal with the guys I send down. I don't recall having this issue before. Has something changed with the AI at all?
Discord: jd_396#7779

Last edited by JD396; 05-01-2019 at 12:56 PM.
JD396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 02:46 PM   #2
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

i think that's a result of a lack of players. even with ghost players, it's going to favor the real players until the point of exhaustion i think. i.e. fewer days off than normal? if that's the behaviour you are seeing, that'd be a great suggestion for future versions -- when ghost players are enabled, honor days off, then fill with ghosts as needed... make the ghost players after an incomplete depth chart is filled out prior to game start. when ghost players are enabled it'll know to just honor the days off without concern of an incomplete lineup etc.

there is an option that will prevent fictional players from being promoted to your ML-level... if that's your main concern, you could use the 'fill' function for the MiL leagues occasionally and still keep them out of your real player's path to MLB.

Last edited by NoOne; 05-02-2019 at 02:48 PM.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 09:56 PM   #3
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

I have noticed this problem as well. I never saw it before XX, that is for sure, but I don't know if it's one of the patches or from the beginning of XX.

My Triple-A ballclub had a day off on the 11th and everybody was rested up:

Name:  mlb_history_1903-06-12_17-10-30.jpg
Views: 659
Size:  288.4 KB
Name:  mlb_history_1903-06-12_17-11-03.jpg
Views: 594
Size:  309.1 KB

But by the 23rd, forget about it!

Name:  mlb_history_1903-06-23_20-43-57.jpg
Views: 611
Size:  319.3 KB

- Bru

Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 10:04 PM   #4
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

It turns out that position players on a team with ghost players will be rested but only when they have reached the point of utter exhaustion.

These are the four position players on the 23rd:

Name:  mlb_history_1903-06-23_20-44-02.jpg
Views: 589
Size:  444.0 KB
Name:  mlb_history_1903-06-23_20-44-10.jpg
Views: 611
Size:  461.8 KB
Name:  mlb_history_1903-06-23_20-44-15.jpg
Views: 585
Size:  471.4 KB
Name:  mlb_history_1903-06-23_20-44-23.jpg
Views: 605
Size:  472.7 KB

Hibbard and Macias are down to 17% and 29% respectively. Finally, on the 24th, they get some rest:

Name:  mlb_history_1903-06-24_20-45-06.jpg
Views: 575
Size:  318.7 KB

It's not realistic to be running players down like this over the course of a long season. If ghost players are to be allowed, simulating a full team, then regular days off for rest need to be simulated as well.

Bear in mind that this is 1903. Stamina is significantly higher and fatigue is lower than present day. I can just imagine how bad this is in a modern league.

One answer, of course, is to stock up with more players and I will be doing that now. However, this ghost player feature seems to need adjustment to simulate player rest as needed. Not that the "real" players don't get fatigued, but that when they do, they are benched for a day in favor of ghost replacements.

- Bru

Old 05-05-2019, 05:26 PM   #5
panda234
Minors (Triple A)

I use ghost players. Could this be hurting the prospects of my prospects?
panda234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 07:48 PM   #6
Spritze
OOTP Historical Czar

ghost players are meant to be benchers and fill-ins, not very good at all. they will only appear as a last resort.

the first resort are real players. if you don't have enough real dudes they can get tired so one of your challenges is to stay stocked.
Old 05-06-2019, 10:16 AM   #7
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by panda234 View Post
I use ghost players. Could this be hurting the prospects of my prospects?
I would imagine so, yes. That is my concern.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spritze View Post
ghost players are meant to be benchers and fill-ins, not very good at all. they will only appear as a last resort.

the first resort are real players. if you don't have enough real dudes they can get tired so one of your challenges is to stay stocked.
When you say "stay stocked," that is true, of course, but it's not consistent with the idea and purpose of ghost players. Up until now, you could have a skeleton crew of actual prospects without necessarily stocking the team with scrubs in order to prevent your prospects from being chronically fatigued.

- Bru

Old 05-06-2019, 11:12 AM   #8
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Déjà Bru View Post
I would imagine so, yes. That is my concern.

When you say "stay stocked," that is true, of course, but it's not consistent with the idea and purpose of ghost players. Up until now, you could have a skeleton crew of actual prospects without necessarily stocking the team with scrubs in order to prevent your prospects from being chronically fatigued.
Not true - the only purpose ghost players ever served was to ensure your team could field a starting lineup. It was never meant to be used as a tool for handling things like real player fatigue, etc.

If you're players weren't getting fatigued in the past, it isn't because of ghost players.
Bluenoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 11:35 AM   #9
Spritze
OOTP Historical Czar

ghosts + real players is not = to fatigue

not enough real players = fatigue

if you have a plethora of players on your rosters fatigue will not be an issue. They can be fictional or real. Your choice.

If you like ghosts watch Scooby-Doo?
Old 05-06-2019, 05:17 PM   #10
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenoser View Post
Not true - the only purpose ghost players ever served was to ensure your team could field a starting lineup. It was never meant to be used as a tool for handling things like real player fatigue, etc.

If you're players weren't getting fatigued in the past, it isn't because of ghost players.
I don't agree. I never had to manually rest my minor league players in the past.

- Bru

Old 05-06-2019, 05:32 PM   #11
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I don't agree. I never had to manually rest my minor league players in the past.

I'm not saying you didn't have to rest them in the past, just telling you it isn't because of ghost players. They were never designed to be used as a fill in for fatigue, only for making sure teams had complete lineups to play games.

Last edited by Bluenoser; 05-06-2019 at 05:36 PM.
Old 05-06-2019, 07:05 PM   #12
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenoser View Post
I'm not saying you didn't have to rest them in the past, just telling you it isn't because of ghost players. They were never designed to be used as a fill in for fatigue, only for making sure teams had complete lineups to play games.
Well, okay then. The thing is, I do have to rest them manually now and whether regular rest is supposed to be part of the ghost players module and was in the past is the question. Perhaps Luke or Matt will comment and clarify this.

- Bru

Old 05-06-2019, 08:10 PM   #13
Spritze
OOTP Historical Czar

ghost players are only meant for emergencies to generate enough players to get to 9.
so the game can advance

the AI will sign enough free agents automagically to solve this issue if they are available in the game you are playing.
Old 05-06-2019, 08:56 PM   #14
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Well, okay then. The thing is, I do have to rest them manually now and whether regular rest is supposed to be part of the ghost players module and was in the past is the question. Perhaps Luke or Matt will comment and clarify this.
The way it has always worked, to my knowledge and experience, is as follows:

If you have a 1B on your team, he will start. He will never be rested by the AI and a ghost player started in his place just for the purpose of resting the regular 1B.

If you do not have a 1B on your team, a ghost player will start.

(Applies to any position, just used 1B for the example)

Ghost players exist for the purpose of a team being able to fill out a complete line up. Nothing else.
Old 05-07-2019, 12:11 AM   #15
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Hmmm. Maybe you are right, BN (and Spritze).

Maybe I wasn't paying as close attention as I am now; I recently and finally adopted the practice of playing out every game, slowing everything down to a day-to-day pace. Maybe I never noticed the fatigue factor before . . .

It still stands to reason that the ghost player module should include ghost position backups but I am granting your point that this may not in fact have ever been the case . . .

Thanks.

- Bru

Last edited by Déjà Bru; 05-07-2019 at 12:20 AM.
Old 05-07-2019, 12:20 AM   #16
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

We'll add something in so that with ghost players enabled, we will make ghosts to backup if guys are exhausted. Looks like the recent change I made to not fill almost-full minors (which was causing ghost players to be used too much) had a side effect that if a team had literally only 8 or 9 batters that they would never sit.
Matt Arnold is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 12:23 AM   #17
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Arnold View Post
We'll add something in so that with ghost players enabled, we will make ghosts to backup if guys are exhausted. Looks like the recent change I made to not fill almost-full minors (which was causing ghost players to be used too much) had a side effect that if a team had literally only 8 or 9 batters that they would never sit.
Thanks, Matt. So there was something recently different about this.

- Bru

Old 06-27-2019, 02:39 AM   #18
Summers76
Minors (Double A)

Where do you 'Enable Ghost Players" in Minor League Settings? Looked everywhere, I can't proceed with my simulation (which is a bunch of crap) -- Never had that problem with 18' or 19'

Found it briefly in Global Settings in one of the Minor Leagues, and then once I clicked it, I can't find that option anymore, there or anywhere. I am just trying to sim to a certain point in my MLB level, it seems to get caught up on league All-Star Games.

Last edited by Summers76; 06-27-2019 at 03:17 AM.
Summers76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 11:48 AM   #19
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summers76 View Post
Where do you 'Enable Ghost Players" in Minor League Settings? Looked everywhere, I can't proceed with my simulation (which is a bunch of crap) -- Never had that problem with 18' or 19'

Found it briefly in Global Settings in one of the Minor Leagues, and then once I clicked it, I can't find that option anymore, there or anywhere. I am just trying to sim to a certain point in my MLB level, it seems to get caught up on league All-Star Games.
It's down here, on League Settings, Rules. Note: This is set at the Major League level and it filters down to affiliated minor leagues, so don't look for it in the minor league settings.
Attached Images

- Bru

Old 01-28-2020, 10:11 PM   #20
84CubsFan
Major Leagues

Any update on this? Seeing the same problem in my current league, several hotfixes later.
84CubsFan is offline   Reply With Quote