Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Closed Thread

Old 03-22-2019, 10:31 PM   #41
Sam_15
Minors (Triple A)

Locking the thread was a bad look for sure. I get concern that it could turn super negative but I thought every comment in that thread was reasonable, and the OP was well articulated.

I'm relatively new to OOTP compared to some people here: I've bought every version since 15. OOTP 20 was the first game I didn't buy since that point. I didn't think any of the new features offered anything for me (I have not, and do not plan to, do PT) so I thought I may as well keep my money and keep playing OOTP 19 unless everyone was wowed by 20. That obviously didn't happen.

There was a point raised in the original thread that I wanted to bring up (by LooneyOne):

Quote:
Guys, i believe that the development team WILL resolve those issues that you described, but they need $$ to hire more people that will help in the further development of those areas. This is why they are focusing on PT so much. You have to give them time. They only have a few years with the MLB license, which opened up the doors to more fans, and now with PT, it gives them more income to work on more features. OOTP is a business, first of all, and in order to continue to grow and improve, they need to focus on the area which brings them more $$. I believe with this company's track record, they will continue to improve the main game further, but we all just have to give them time, and just enjoy the game as it is.
These are all valid points, but nobody is obligated to buy, or feel happy about buying, a game that didn't meet their expectations simply because of the promise of meeting those expectations down the road in future games. I completely understand this approach by the devs, but I won't be buying this version of OOTP because of it.

I should say that I still think OOTP is quite possibly my favorite game ever (I'll keep playing 19 religiously at least until next year). I don't want this to come across as me having negative feelings toward the company, because my overall view of it is still very very positive. I just wanted to make my own point on the matter; the main point being that I hope they don't trend toward locking any thread that says anything negative about them.
Old 03-22-2019, 10:38 PM   #42
Hooray Saturday
Minors (Triple A)

the thread was fine and locking the thread was fine. everyone said what needed to be said, and it's there for anyone to read.

I buy every version no matter what the new features are because OOTP has earned and deserves my loyalty as a customer. I have no expectations and am never disappointed.
Old 03-22-2019, 10:51 PM   #43
Craig Scarborough
All Star Reserve

I love OOTP, and I think I've bought every version since the beginning. I have not purchased OOTP 20.

Personally, the only thing that piques my interest about this year's version are the spray charts and new "baserunning statistics", though I am unsure what they are at this point. 3D doesn't interest me, Perfect Team doesn't interest me, nor does playing with today's rosters (and therefore the Live updates). I'm more of a fictional league player.

While people speak of "under the cover" changes, I have to say I don't like the obtuse nature of some of the feature updates. Every year (heck, every patch) will state something like, "Fixed Lineup AI" or this year's "Improved historical league player ratings and simulation accuracy." What does that mean!? Paradox Interactive is famous for their release notes, stipulating the exact changes. I'd have a lot more confidence in the final product if the issues that were addressed were mentioned rather than a nebulous update that includes the buzzwords of "improved" and "fixed".

I think it's healthy for a forum or product to allow informed and healthy discourse, which is what I consider this thread to be. I think Markus and team do an outstanding job and I will continue to support their efforts. If there's a certain segment of the OOTP population who doesn't feel the need to upgrade immediately, so be it. I've often thought that OOTP is approaching the end-game of text sports simulations. It's a little bittersweet for me, but this might be the first year I don't upgrade.
Old 03-22-2019, 10:59 PM   #44
swampdragon
Hall Of Famer

I've started my millionth 1901 Replay, and I would say that the defensive ratings certainly feel better, and there's certainly more variety in those ratings. Early returns are that the AI issues too many intentional walks, steals too often, and doesn't hit and run enough for the era, but my sample size is too small at this point to definitively say there's anything wrong. If I decide that's the case, I can get out the handy sliders as I've done in the past.
“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies." -- C.S. Lewis
Old 03-22-2019, 11:30 PM   #45
BronxBombers7
Minors (Rookie Ball)

The way I see it is there may not have been a huge amount of changes this year, but the changes that were made attributed to making OOTP 20 the best OOTP yet! Loving the new animations, spray charts, and looking forward to any surprises that we may get in future patches! OOTP is still the reigning champ at baseball sim!
Old 03-23-2019, 12:10 AM   #46
Mariner and Giants Fan
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by acclaim99 View Post
Remember ootp20 is going to be a new experience for a lot of people.

So saying you didn't notice any changes.. There are people who haven't played 19

Me personally, I'm stuck with 19. Can't spring any extra money. Docs won't let me work.. Found out I had cancer 6.5 months ago.

But, I hope it's great game for all the new users!!! I hope they don't turn off perfect team in 19. Love passing time with it right now!!
Sorry to hear that. I would be happy to purchase version XX for you. Does anyone know how I can do that?
Old 03-23-2019, 03:42 AM   #47
old timer
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariner and Giants Fan View Post
Sorry to hear that. I would be happy to purchase version XX for you. Does anyone know how I can do that?

If you are both Steam users, you can purchase it as a gift for him, but you'll need to add him as a friend, I believe.
Old 03-23-2019, 04:45 AM   #48
UltimateAverageGuy
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by george_bell View Post
someone makes a well thought out, interesting post saying they were a tad disappointed in the new game. Other users responded that they either agreed, or disagreed, in a very constructive way.

You guys locked the post after 15 messages...

So basically, if you want to have an opinion on here, it has to be the right one!!

I've played ootp for a long time, i've purchased ootp, fhm, but stuff like that has me questioning whether i want to give ootp my money anymore. I think that was a terrible decision.
lmao
Old 03-23-2019, 06:33 AM   #49
acclaim99
Major Leagues

Sorry guys, I didn't mean to post that here. I didn't want to ruin the mood, my mind gets a little out of it right now.

But thank you for those who did make a comment, and for the one that private msgd me. Means a lot.

Sorry. Really bad spot to post that. I feel like an ass.
Fixed.

Last edited by acclaim99; 03-23-2019 at 06:54 AM.
Old 03-23-2019, 06:40 AM   #50
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Sorry guys, closing this thread was bad judgement on my part I have re-opened it and merged the other one here.

The initial idea was to close it because I did not want it to become a fight between people who may be a bit disappointed and other who see the exact opposite. But I guess I could have waited longer. I apologize
Old 03-23-2019, 07:12 AM   #51
JaBurns
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Heinsohn View Post
Sorry guys, closing this thread was bad judgement on my part I have re-opened it and merged the other one here.

The initial idea was to close it because I did not want it to become a fight between people who may be a bit disappointed and other who see the exact opposite. But I guess I could have waited longer. I apologize
Exactly the proper decision Markus, constructive opinions even criticism should always be welcome, as long as the posts are in good taste I see no problem.The old saying Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger.
Old 03-23-2019, 07:25 AM   #52
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaBurns View Post
Exactly the proper decision Markus, constructive opinions even criticism should always be welcome, as long as the posts are in good taste I see no problem.The old saying Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger.
I agree
Old 03-23-2019, 08:05 AM   #53
Reed
All Star Starter

No one can say that Markus does not listen!!!
I know another popular baseball sim and on their forum if you say anything less than 100% positive, you will be banned and post deleted.
Old 03-23-2019, 08:13 AM   #54
Grafton19
Major Leagues

I see why Markus did it, but these guys listen. At the end of the day. You make the game your universe anyways, so just live in it and trust this team will listen to things that make game better

I don’t let AI ever trade, so some things like that don’t bug me
Old 03-23-2019, 08:30 AM   #55
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reed View Post
No one can say that Markus does not listen!!!
I know another popular baseball sim and on their forum if you say anything less than 100% positive, you will be banned and post deleted.
Yeah if thick skin could be considered a super power I'm think Marvel and DC would be fighting over Markus.
Old 03-23-2019, 08:45 AM   #56
LeiterFanatic
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineSK View Post
YES! I always got mixed up between 6 and 7 because of 6.5. Thank you for the correction.
6.5 is the benchmark for "fun" that I personally have had with OOTP. Just a personal opinion. I agree with OP that XX is similar to 19 in so many ways. At least how I play
Old 03-23-2019, 09:19 AM   #57
AlpineSK
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeiterFanatic View Post
6.5 is the benchmark for "fun" that I personally have had with OOTP. Just a personal opinion. I agree with OP that XX is similar to 19 in so many ways. At least how I play
Agree 100% on 6.5... I remember when 6.0 came out, and then this company did the right thing and released what ended up being a game changer no pun intended.

I'm getting ready to dive into my first season on the full build.. going to struggle along with the Orioles this season so we will see what happens.

Side note: Dig your username. I graduated from the same high school as Al Leiter.. It was 13 years after his amazing 1984 season but still... The guy was a legend.

I also just wanted to say, as the OP, that I didn't like the tread being initially closed but I understand why Markus did it. He's a fantastic guy, and continues to put forth an incredible product year after year. Also, I have even more respect for him for reopening it.

Thanks to everyone for the support on this. I never saw the thread that this was merged with, but its a good feeling and makes me love the OOTP Baseball community that much more.

2013 Boston Red Sox

Or my blogs:

http://www.medicsbk.com

The Sports Medic
Old 03-23-2019, 09:21 AM   #58
byzeil
All Star Starter

Thank you Markus.
Old 03-23-2019, 09:25 AM   #59
swampdragon
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeiterFanatic View Post
Just a personal opinion. I agree with OP that XX is similar to 19 in so many ways. At least how I play
I think it kind of depends on how you play, but I also think the game is supposed to feel like OOTP 19. Hopefully, the AI improvements will make the game feel more realistic as you play out your seasons, but that's not the kind of thing we notice on Day 1.
“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies." -- C.S. Lewis
Old 03-23-2019, 10:17 AM   #60
Sweed
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
This is from a post I made on another board and also in the first impression thread.

Quote:
For years many have said don't add bells and whistles just fix AI holes, roster management, etc. and the masses will beat a path to your door. It looks like they've tried that and are met with "I'm disappointed with the feature list". Go figure.
This isn't posted to directly counter the OP, he did make many valid points. However, each of his valid points, if fixed, would come at a cost in programming time. IE which AI fixes that did get in would you or he want left out to fix his issues? Do people here really think these AI changes were just tiny tweaks and easy to do?

How is it different than any year? That is, my pet peeve\issue didn't get in. I'm disappointed. I give the OP a lot of credit as he didn't whine and say "I'll never buy OOTP again it sucks". Instead he noted he still loved the game. Well written critique from his perspective.

What tires me is the "lets blame PT". How many ways do they have to say it is a separate coding team that doesn't impact vXX? Markus has said he does very little coding but instead supervises the whole of OOTP Dev. Is there a reason we shouldn't believe him? Maybe it's because I've been here for 17 years that I trust what he says until he gives me reason not too.

As for me, every year I am slightly disappointed that something I want didn't get in the game. Those go in the suggestion forum for next year, I explore the new game and enjoy finding the little unmentioned things that got in, and am happy for those that got their pet feature included though it
has no impact on how I play.

Same thing, different year.
Closed Thread