Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 03-10-2019, 11:23 AM   #1
Sweed
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
64 bit for PC someday?

So looks like XX is not the year, maybe 21?

With Steam and now PT are there thoughts or plans to offer 64 bit any time soon?
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 12:10 PM   #2
mitchkenn
Hall Of Famer

'wouldn't it be loverly? long overdue.
"I saw a young man leaning on his wooden crutch - He called out to me, 'Don't ask for so much' And a young woman leaning in her darkened door She cried out to me, 'Why not ask for more?' " - Leonard Cohen
"Hello darkness, my old Friend ...." - Paul Simon
Before Mays, before DiMaggio, there was Oscar Charleston.
"All the lies about Babe Ruth are true." - Waite Hoyt

Avatar is the late great Townes Van Zandt. rip.
mitchkenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 12:40 PM   #3
Reed
All Star Starter

And how about Vulkan.

I understand OOTP is coded 64 bit for MacBook and 32 bit for windows. I have played both and game play might be a hair smoother on the MacBook even with older hardware. The main difference I saw was fast simming. The 64 bit for MacBook seemed about 20% faster.
Reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 01:47 PM   #4
Shake Appeal
Minors (Double A)

This would be a major improvement.
Shake Appeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 02:39 PM   #5
jimmysthebestcop
Banned

Infractions: 0/2 (5)
64 bit is needed and taking advantage of soon to be common 8 core 16 thread chips.

Should be able to vastly speed up sim time
jimmysthebestcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 05:30 PM   #6
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

If I recall correctly, this question has come up before, and the answer then was that the game would have to be greatly rewritten to take advantage of 64-bit, and thus, it is not in the cards any time soon.
Le Grande Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 08:16 PM   #7
rudel.dietrich
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 1/0 (0)
OOTP has not had a major rewrite since OOTP 7
I think it is long overdue to take advantage of modern computing technology.

With the income gathered from PT OOTD would be able to hire a small coding team even if they were temporary to rework the game to drop 32 bit support and finally move in the 64 bit era and take advantage of such modern advances as systems with more than 4 GB of ram, multi core CPUs etc
rudel.dietrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 10:00 PM   #8
mannysoloway
Bat Boy

Agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reed View Post
And how about Vulkan.

I understand OOTP is coded 64 bit for MacBook and 32 bit for windows. I have played both and game play might be a hair smoother on the MacBook even with older hardware. The main difference I saw was fast simming. The 64 bit for MacBook seemed about 20% faster.
I don't know if it's just my PC but after the end of the season it has to stop for like 5 minutes. This doesn't happen on a mac
mannysoloway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 11:59 PM   #9
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudel.dietrich View Post
OOTP has not had a major rewrite since OOTP 7
I think it is long overdue to take advantage of modern computing technology.
If it's going to do that, then rewrite the financial model at the same time. A comprehensive rework there could set the stage for some fantastic possibilities in the future.
Old 03-11-2019, 04:51 AM   #10
rudel.dietrich
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Grande Orange View Post
If it's going to do that, then rewrite the financial model at the same time. A comprehensive rework there could set the stage for some fantastic possibilities in the future.
I agree
Finances and stadiums are the only thing holding OOTP back from what I ultimately look for when I play a sports management simulation. Actually feeling like the GM/Manager/Owner

The only game that is IMO close to perfect is Football Manager because it really gets in the weeds and nails finances which is the life blood of progressional sport.
Old 03-11-2019, 08:37 AM   #11
a5ehren
Bat Boy

The Mac version is 64-bit (at least nominally) because Apple makes you do it to get on their App Store. iOOTP has to be 64-bit as well for the same reason.

I would guess that the Windows version hasn't switched because they don't want to bump up the system requirements without a major reason to do so - the OOTP fanbase doesn't strike me as the most bleeding edge when it comes to hardware, so any change in system requirements means losing customers.

Last edited by a5ehren; 03-11-2019 at 08:39 AM.
a5ehren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 01:08 PM   #12
Sweed
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by a5ehren View Post
The Mac version is 64-bit (at least nominally) because Apple makes you do it to get on their App Store. iOOTP has to be 64-bit as well for the same reason.

I would guess that the Windows version hasn't switched because they don't want to bump up the system requirements without a major reason to do so - the OOTP fanbase doesn't strike me as the most bleeding edge when it comes to hardware, so any change in system requirements means losing customers.
I think Linux is too. Your assessment of taking care of the customer base is, I think, the only reason it hasn't happened. I asked now, in the OPT, because with 64 bit now, the norm(?) , and the advent of PT bringing in more players it seemed the time would soon be here?
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 01:08 PM   #13
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I agree
Finances and stadiums are the only thing holding OOTP back from what I ultimately look for when I play a sports management simulation. Actually feeling like the GM/Manager/Owner

The only game that is IMO close to perfect is Football Manager because it really gets in the weeds and nails finances which is the life blood of progressional sport.
All I can say is I've got a ton of real-world data I've put together over the years that can be used as reference.
Old 03-11-2019, 06:25 PM   #14
jimmysthebestcop
Banned

Agreed with PT its time for 64 bit. Next version of Windows probably won't even be 32 bit compatible.

Honestly I have never seen Windows 10 32bit out in the wild. Not even Windows 8. All of the OEM's install 64bit because 4gb of ram is standard. Unless it is on some kind of substandard laptop/tablet weird type of thing.

Windows 7 had many 32 bit installs out in the wild. But support for it is dead. Too many security obstacles and its over a decade old now.

Standard business/home laptops have 4gb of ram at minimum sold these days. Even budget gaming computers have 8gb. Normal 16gb and high end gaming rigs have 32gb.

Not to have 64bit program is a pretty big weakness. That ram has to be leveraged.

Not to mention gaming desktops are minimum 6 cores these days. Maybe super low end fortnite boxes are i3 with Quad cores/threads.

But Intel is pushing the core/thread count up to keep up with AMD especially with Ryzen 3rd gen coming out this summer.

Non gaming laptops are a problem because there even i7 pre 8th gen that were still only dual core. To keep the laptops thing and cool.
Old 03-11-2019, 07:35 PM   #15
rudel.dietrich
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Steams hardware survey which I would judge to be a pretty accurate measure of PC gamers found that less than 4% of those who consented to a system scan are still using a 32 bit OS.
And 64 bit is not 'bleeding edge' anymore

Windows XP 64 bit was first supported in 2001.

I don't think there are that many customers to be lost.

Here is the Steam hardware survey data for those interested.
https://store.steampowered.com/hwsur...lcome-to-Steam

Last edited by rudel.dietrich; 03-13-2019 at 05:26 PM.
Old 03-11-2019, 07:51 PM   #16
tejdog1
All Star Starter

I have an i3-8100 with 16 GB of RAM. 4 cores, 8 threads. I'd love to see 64 bit support.
How I turn my head and lose it all

And it's unnerving
How just one move puts me by myself
There you go just trusting someone else
Now I know I put us both through hell

~Matchbox 20, "Leave"

Everyone knows it's spelled "TRAID", not trade
tejdog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 08:08 PM   #17
a5ehren
Bat Boy

Quote:
Steams hardware survey which I would judge to be a pretty accurate measure of PC gamers found that less than 4% of those who consented to a system scan are still using a 32 bit OS.
And 64 bit is 'bleeding edge' anymore

Windows XP 64 bit was first supported in 2001.

I don't think there are that many customers to be lost.

Here is the Steam hardware survey data for those interested.
https://store.steampowered.com/hwsur...lcome-to-Steam
I agree, but I'm guessing the OOTP survey would look a a lot different from the Steam survey. It doesn't really seem to be the same demographic.

Would be nice if there was a 64-bit exe as an option for power users, but I can see why they wouldn't do that.
Old 03-11-2019, 08:48 PM   #18
jimmysthebestcop
Banned

Quote:
I agree, but I'm guessing the OOTP survey would look a a lot different from the Steam survey. It doesn't really seem to be the same demographic.

Would be nice if there was a 64-bit exe as an option for power users, but I can see why they wouldn't do that.
It probably the same. Again its almost impossible to have bought a computer since 2010 without it coming with a 64bit OS installed by default.

Even if it did 32 bit Windows key work on 64 bit installs. Not just that but Win 7 keys will still activate Windows 10 installs.

The only systems that didn't come with 64 bit Windows installed by default were these sub $300 "netbooks" from several years back. And they all died out long ago. They lasted about 3 years for sale.

Wonder how slow OOTP will sim on future Apples once they convert to Arm chips and have to use a built in apple emulator for any x86 code. Intel predicts Apple leaves them within the next 2 years.
Old 03-15-2019, 02:20 PM   #19
a5ehren
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmysthebestcop View Post
It probably the same. Again its almost impossible to have bought a computer since 2010 without it coming with a 64bit OS installed by default.

Even if it did 32 bit Windows key work on 64 bit installs. Not just that but Win 7 keys will still activate Windows 10 installs.

The only systems that didn't come with 64 bit Windows installed by default were these sub $300 "netbooks" from several years back. And they all died out long ago. They lasted about 3 years for sale.

Wonder how slow OOTP will sim on future Apples once they convert to Arm chips and have to use a built in apple emulator for any x86 code. Intel predicts Apple leaves them within the next 2 years.
I just keep thinking back to the post in one of these other threads where a guy says it is taking a minute+ to advance his league day.

There's some seriously old hardware that is still (mostly) functional that can run this game. I have no idea if OOTPD have any kind of analytics/hw reporting built in, but I have to think they have data somewhere saying that moving the PC version to 64-bit isn't something they want to do.

Re: Future Apples, I'm guessing they will slap a requirement on the Mac App Store that all programs have to include native x86 and ARM binaries. There will be some kind of emulation layer for old software (probably a ~15% performance hit, virtualization is pretty good these days), but for new stuff it will probably just be a button in xCode when you go to build your project.
Old 03-15-2019, 03:52 PM   #20
jimmysthebestcop
Banned

Quote:
I just keep thinking back to the post in one of these other threads where a guy says it is taking a minute+ to advance his league day.

There's some seriously old hardware that is still (mostly) functional that can run this game. I have no idea if OOTPD have any kind of analytics/hw reporting built in, but I have to think they have data somewhere saying that moving the PC version to 64-bit isn't something they want to do.
Most likely its because its going to be gigantic code rewrite. But its is incredibly hard to find any computer running a 32 bit OS.

You would really have to go out of your way to get Windows 32 bit. It just doesn't exist. OEM's have sold 32bit directly since Windows Vista days. That's over 10 years ago.

Windows 7 64 bit was more popular then 32 bit flavor. And for Win8 and Win 10 the 32 bit only exists for mostly special use case scenarios and not mainstream consumer or business computer models. They were for failed netbooks and some thin clients.

I couldn't even tell you when Intel/Amd made a 32 bit only main stream processor. 15+ years is a rough guess. The only recent 2010/2011 Intel processors that weren't 64 bit were the Atoms which were again the failed netbook processors.

So the only logically assumption we can make is it would be a big job re-coding OOTP. But it has to be done soon.