Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 02-28-2019, 10:46 PM   #1
Neezer
Minors (Double A)

PC minimum requirements

Can someone post what a PC needs to have for the game to play
Neezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 12:00 AM   #2
krownroyal83
All Star Reserve

MINIMUM:
Processor: Intel or AMD, 32 bit or 64 bit
Memory: 2 GB RAM
Graphics: OpenGL 2.0 or newer, min 256 MB GPU memory
Storage: 3 GB available space
krownroyal83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 06:03 AM   #3
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Same as OOTP 19.
Markus Heinsohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 11:50 AM   #4
Neezer
Minors (Double A)

Anyone have any advice on a laptop that is also decent for gaming (more than just OOTP). For OOTP 20 i want to be able to have it on a portable PC.
Old 03-01-2019, 12:41 PM   #5
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Heinsohn View Post
Same as OOTP 19.
So, if our outdated video cards run 19, we shouldn't have any issue with 20? The great August Video Card scare of 2018 had me back playing 16. But, that ended up being a sky is falling episode and as usual you fixed things.
David Watts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 01:52 PM   #6
jimmysthebestcop
Banned

Infractions: 0/2 (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neezer View Post
Anyone have any advice on a laptop that is also decent for gaming (more than just OOTP). For OOTP 20 i want to be able to have it on a portable PC.
If you want like top of the line

https://www.microcenter.com/product/...mputer---black
jimmysthebestcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 10:23 PM   #7
mars001
All Star Reserve

I play on a Surface Pro 2 and a Surface Pro 4. Both run the game quite well.
mars001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 04:28 PM   #8
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
get an i5 or i7... doesn't have to be newest generation (you can tell intel gen by the number... 6600 8700 etc... 6000's and 8000's are different generations)

to give a reference -- i have a very old i7-2700k, not overclocked anymore. it's not been treated well, either. lots of video encoding and i have to change the thermal gel every ~3-6months due to the excess heat during use. i can't even let it run at 100% anymore with any encode that takes mor ethan 15minutes or it will overheat and shutdown. (actually due to a windows bug... some cpu would send core#0 into 100% utilization after waking from sleep and it damaged my chip's internal heat sync or something... ms owes me a cpu!)

even so, it can run any newer 3d game without problems. it's nearly 10 years old at this point. your video card will be the biggest thing relative to playing games. i ran madden 19 on the pc for a few hours the other night and it never went above ~60degrees. (encoding pushes upto ~80+ and can cause a shutdown due to heat as it rises higher)

--------------

so, make sure to get a laptop with a high-end video card and a somewhat recent generation of an i5 or i7, or it won't play advanced 3d games for very long... even iwth that maybe a 2-3 year window with a laptop? unless you can upgrade the GPU after that time.

which i5 or i7? i'd look up specs... and prices... find the one with the most cores you are wiling to pay for... then look up a gpu you want for your laptop...

start with parts and work backward to get the best.. gpu/cpu may all be integrated now? use to be able to get non-integrated gpu for laptops, but i think it's part of the cpu now? so, if the words i use are abit off, adapt it to laptop realities.

laptops are slow and expensive relative to what you get for gaming. ~$750-$1000 will probably last 2-3 years without issue playing 3d games. you'll be playing longer if you don't play the newest, badest 3d games possible... figure 5-7 in that baot. with ootp 3d graphics, figure ~20 years.

spending more lasts a little longer, but apply common sense.

spending more on an i7 cpu may not create teh same incremental benefit as spending more on the GPU. if you are into games, focus most heavily on the GPU, if making any concessions it should be elsewhere.

ram... 12-16 minimum for the system at this point. especially if you game. otherwise ~8 is fine for limited pc uses like web browsing and ootp. i'd shy away from the 2gb minimum... there are many system configs out-of-the-box that will likely run out of memory with just 2gb and ootp playing.

also, things are about to require more for 4k graphics. i wouldn't get a GPU with less than 6gb, preferably 8gb of VRAM. BUT, if the gpu can't play 4k graphics anyway, ~4gb is plenty for 1080p gaming.

some future proofing, but not elite...

get an i7 with 6-8 cores... not the BS hyperthreading nonsense. real cores. (only familiar with desktop, assume laptop cpu are upto ~6cores and higher now?) use the intel tech spec sheet or similar. compare the actual cpu models. google terminology you don't know.

get ~16gb ram, unless you run multiple clients for an mmor or something, that will be fine for any 1 game and various windows apps in background. you run 6-10 game clients and you'll need more.

get a nice GPU... if you want 4k gaming, you're going to spend top dollar. figure $300-500 for the laptop gpu? @ 1080p gaming you can get a nice desktop gpu for <$200. i don't know laptop gpu's at all... you will overspend and get less for sure, though. so, those are prices for a desktop gpu capable of 4k or 1080p gaming, respectively. expect 50-100 higher, i bet for similar capabilities for a laptop gpu price increase.

https://www.userbenchmark.com/

this is a good site to compare RL benchmarks. compare FPS of multiple games on same rigs etc etc... swap out one part and see the difference. is it worth it? etc etc... makes decisions easier when you can see RL results and can measure teh improvement and decide if it is worth it or not.

Last edited by NoOne; 03-03-2019 at 04:31 PM.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 09:24 AM   #9
r0nster
Hall Of Famer

if you want all the features showing at least with OOTP19 you want 1900x1200 If I remember the setting. That's the minimum setting to get everything properly on screen. I got a laptop specifically for OOTP last year and I only have OOTP on it and my other laptop is for internet.
r0nster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 12:19 PM   #10
Neezer
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0nster View Post
if you want all the features showing at least with OOTP19 you want 1900x1200 If I remember the setting. That's the minimum setting to get everything properly on screen. I got a laptop specifically for OOTP last year and I only have OOTP on it and my other laptop is for internet.
Was this the issue when 19 first launched where you would only see the Runs, Hits, Errors in the upper left and not the full 9 inning scoreboard? And also the player info in the bottom L and R would be huge and take up a lot of the screen. I had these when I first got 19 and fixed it. But I cant remember how.
Old 03-05-2019, 04:23 PM   #11
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

what is that? PAL? weird AR.
Old 03-05-2019, 05:17 PM   #12
Reed
All Star Starter

Quote:
Was this the issue when 19 first launched where you would only see the Runs, Hits, Errors in the upper left and not the full 9 inning scoreboard? And also the player info in the bottom L and R would be huge and take up a lot of the screen. I had these when I first got 19 and fixed it. But I cant remember how.
Yes, you need a minimum screen resolution to get the full scoreboard. I forget exactly what that resolution is though.
Reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 05:18 PM   #13
Neezer
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reed View Post
Yes, you need a minimum screen resolution to get the full scoreboard. I forget exactly what that resolution is though.
I dont either. I know it was "smushed" when I first got 19, then changed the settings and eventually got it to look like 18 with the 9 innings.
Old 03-05-2019, 06:58 PM   #14
jimmysthebestcop
Banned

Might be thinking of full HD 1920 x 1080.

1920 x 1200 doesn't make much sense as it goes completely against standard resolutions.

I don't even know of any laptop that supports that as a standard resolution. Maybe some weird tablet type things. Even desktop monitors its not your standard aspect ratio.

The absolute most common laptop resolution on "non gaming laptops" is 1366x768. As they can save money not putting in a full HD screen at 1920x1080. Most of the time the built in intel gpu chip has no problem pushing full HD so you can often do a screen replacement.

All gaming laptops will have an nvidia gpu on board and come with minimum 1920x1080 higher end ones will be 2k or 4k resolution.

You can run OOTP on a non gaming laptop so that is where you will get into trouble with screen resolution.

If you are going to run any other games especially AAA level games or even many Indy games you want a full gaming laptop. Meaning its going to have that NVIDIA Gpu. The minimum you want in there is a GTX 1050 TI. Thats from last generation.

This would be a good minimum gaming laptop:

While this one is your top of the line unit:
Old 03-07-2019, 04:16 PM   #15
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

the sub $200 market you get a much better product with the rx570 price point.

better real world benchmarking with 3d games. i can't recall exactly but it's >10% and it's a cheaper gpu, too. better and cheaper.

the 1050ti is more efficient and may be a better match for a weaker power supply unit. if you don't have a ~450w psu, you'll want the 1050ti.

1080p, both can play at full motion on high settings.

1440p -- the 570 will struggle a bit, but with medium settings or lower should be fine. not so sure on teh 1050ti. probably with low settings and with less than 20fps

2k/4k -- neither of these will do them with any competency. ootp in 4k? maybe, both can do that, i bet. 8gb would be wise to try that.

at one time the 1050ti was 3gb/6gb. 6gb is fine, but if you see it advertised as 4gb/8gb that's a newer run and changed specs. look into any news on weaker or better parts used etc... still going to be less than rx570 unless you have power consumption issues.

if ~170-200 is out of price range, i'd go as cheap as possible with a ebay item or something, if you absolutely need something. get previous geneartion of gpu for ~$50 with ~2gb ram. that'll do 1080p with medium to low settings, but run a bit warm.

only the most expensive cards can approach playing 4k reso games at a high setting and high fps... $500-1000? probably in that range. some may not be good at 4k even though they advertise they can play them.

Last edited by NoOne; 03-07-2019 at 04:18 PM.
Old 03-07-2019, 05:17 PM   #16
jimmysthebestcop
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoOne View Post
the sub $200 market you get a much better product with the rx570 price point.

better real world benchmarking with 3d games. i can't recall exactly but it's >10% and it's a cheaper gpu, too. better and cheaper.

the 1050ti is more efficient and may be a better match for a weaker power supply unit. if you don't have a ~450w psu, you'll want the 1050ti.

1080p, both can play at full motion on high settings.

1440p -- the 570 will struggle a bit, but with medium settings or lower should be fine. not so sure on teh 1050ti. probably with low settings and with less than 20fps

2k/4k -- neither of these will do them with any competency. ootp in 4k? maybe, both can do that, i bet. 8gb would be wise to try that.

at one time the 1050ti was 3gb/6gb. 6gb is fine, but if you see it advertised as 4gb/8gb that's a newer run and changed specs. look into any news on weaker or better parts used etc... still going to be less than rx570 unless you have power consumption issues.

if ~170-200 is out of price range, i'd go as cheap as possible with a ebay item or something, if you absolutely need something. get previous geneartion of gpu for ~$50 with ~2gb ram. that'll do 1080p with medium to low settings, but run a bit warm.

only the most expensive cards can approach playing 4k reso games at a high setting and high fps... $500-1000? probably in that range. some may not be good at 4k even though they advertise they can play them.

OP is talking about a laptop in his second message on the thread. Only Nvidia makes full GPU's for laptops. That is why a GTX 1050 TI is mentioned because it pertains to laptops.

AMD doesn't make them in laptop form. So the AMD RX 470/480/570/580/590 are all desktop only.

Yes the desktop pecking order is gtx 1050 ti, gtx 1060, rx 570, rx 580, gtx 1070, gtx 1660 ti, rtx 1160, gtx 1070 ti, then the really expensive card over $500-$600
Old 03-11-2019, 11:19 AM   #17
Obechkinsbuddy
Minors (Single A)

I bought a 500 dollar compaq that I bought just for OOTP i use it for nothing else and I do have the issue of lets say i sim a week it will sim a game say not respoding then pick back up it will take a solid minute or so to sim the week. My buddy brought his macbook to work and when he sims a week it sims it all not stop in about 10 seconds. I get that a macbook is minimum double the price of mine but I didnt think I would have had that problem.
Obechkinsbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 02:20 PM   #18
a5ehren
Bat Boy

Any recent-vintage Macbook will run circles around any Compaq-branded PC I can think of. If you spend equivalent money on a modern Windows laptop it would be equally quick.
a5ehren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 07:42 PM   #19
jimmysthebestcop
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by a5ehren View Post
Any recent-vintage Macbook will run circles around any Compaq-branded PC I can think of. If you spend equivalent money on a modern Windows laptop it would be equally quick.
This is a pretty big generalization. In terms of gaming Macs don't come with gaming GPU's. So any laptop that has an Nvidia gaming GPU will win in gaming.

And unless its a Macbook Pro then it is stuck at dual core processor. And it might even have low ram and not be able to get upgraded depending on how recent. It will have an ssd or a nvme drive however. They went to ssd pretty early at least.

So depends on what model Macbook. Also depends on what HP laptop you are comparing it too. As they do offer a gaming line of laptops while Apple does not.

Even home/business hp laptops in terms of non gaming can boast better processors, more ram, and an equivalent hd. All for about half the cost.

HP Pavilion 15-cx0056wm comes with 8th gen i5 quad core and a Nvidia GTX 1050 TI or GTX 1060 this can be bought for around $650-$700.

Gaming and overall processing power will be more than Apple for a lot cheaper. Even brand new MacBooks are only 7th gen i5 with dual core. And you are talking min $1300-$1600.

13 inch macbook pro to get a quad core its over $1800. While their 15 inch start at like $2500 for 6 cores.

Let alone if we compare real gaming latops like Asus, MSi and Gigabyte Apple can't compete at the hardware or sales price of those laptops.

Not to mention the high end gaming laptops Razor that come with RTX 1080 gpu's and are better speced than Macbook Pros for the same price but you get a top tier gpu.
Old 03-11-2019, 08:52 PM   #20
a5ehren
Bat Boy

Right, but he's comparing a recent-vintage Mac to his (unknown age) low-budget PC.
a5ehren is offline   Reply With Quote