Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Front Office Football > FOF - General Discussions

FOF - General Discussions Discuss the upcoming Front Office Football by OOTP Developments here.

Old 06-08-2014, 02:47 PM   #1
baseballonly
All Star Reserve

Player Origin/Nationalities?

I'm wondering if there will be an option for nation quality/player origin in BTS. I really like the thread about the World of Baseball, and I think it would be cool to create a World of Football. I know that football is not an international sport but it would be fun to expand it to the rest of the world.

Thanks, Noah
Old 06-08-2014, 06:38 PM   #2
Francis Cole
Lead Developer for BTS

You can have your leagues in different countries, which will result in the players being of a different nationality, but for V1 there isn't the option to say the USA is rated 100 for Football Quality but England is rated 10 etc.
Old 06-08-2014, 09:20 PM   #3
baseballonly
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis Cole View Post
You can have your leagues in different countries, which will result in the players being of a different nationality, but for V1 there isn't the option to say the USA is rated 100 for Football Quality but England is rated 10 etc.
So say I make a league in the U.S.A. will every player be Americain?
Old 06-09-2014, 06:22 AM   #4
Francis Cole
Lead Developer for BTS

Yes, but truth be told nationalities are not really that important in BTS V1 compared to OOTP
Old 06-09-2014, 12:46 PM   #5
baseballonly
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis Cole View Post
Yes, but truth be told nationalities are not really that important in BTS V1 compared to OOTP
Yes I know, but it would be cool to see international football someday. :-)

Really looking forward to the game! I can't really complain about this when PFS only alllows you to have one league/game.
Old 06-09-2014, 09:58 PM   #6
colourmebrad
Minors (Double A)

As a Canadian, I really hope V2 has at least the ability to set the nationality, if not a full nation-engine, as it were.
Old 06-09-2014, 10:36 PM   #7
baseballonly
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by colourmebrad View Post
As a Canadian, I really hope V2 has at least the ability to set the nationality, if not a full nation-engine, as it were.
Or hopefully someone can script a mod to do have different nationalities.
Old 06-09-2014, 11:40 PM   #8
Garethw87

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseballonly View Post
I know that football is not an international sport but it would be fun to expand it to the rest of the world.

Thanks, Noah
International Federation of American Football (IFAF)

Old 06-10-2014, 12:51 AM   #9
baseballonly
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garethw87 View Post
Yes I am fully aware of this, but there are very few NFL players from outside the USA and Canada and if the USA was allowed to use their top players their would be no competition. \
Old 06-20-2014, 09:59 AM   #10
dave1927p
FHM Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseballonly View Post
Yes I am fully aware of this, but there are very few NFL players from outside the USA and Canada and if the USA was allowed to use their top players their would be no competition. \
but my understanding of this is if there is only 1 league in the USA there will be no canadian players. I know that us Canadians in football is minor but would be nice to see canadians in the game and even grow their footprint in the NFL.
Old 06-23-2014, 05:58 PM   #11
baseballonly
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1927p View Post
but my understanding of this is if there is only 1 league in the USA there will be no canadian players. I know that us Canadians in football is minor but would be nice to see canadians in the game and even grow their footprint in the NFL.
That was basically my point...I'd like to expand football to the rest of the world.
Old 06-25-2014, 01:44 AM   #12
Austsaint
Minors (Double A)

I know Australians and indeed other nationalities aren't really represented in the NFL. As an Australian, I know of a few punters who played in the AFL and then had quite successful second careers as NFL punters, Darren Bennett, Ben Graham and Sav Rocca being the obvious ones. Will a small amount of college players be able to be created from outside the states? I know Jesse Williams went to Alabama and he is from Australia, and I know of quite a few guys from other countries who played college football and were drafted, Margus Hunt is from Estonia and of course the great Morten Andersen was born in Denmark.
Old 07-04-2014, 06:45 AM   #13
Kobeck
Major Leagues

Titans LT, for the time being, Micahel Roos is Estonian
Old 07-05-2014, 05:47 PM   #14
frangipard
OOTP Roster Team

Given that this is the first version of the game, it would be a poor use of time to put this in the game. They need to get basic functionality right, not things that are essentially cosmetic.
Old 07-06-2014, 02:07 AM   #15
dave1927p
FHM Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by frangipard View Post
Given that this is the first version of the game, it would be a poor use of time to put this in the game. They need to get basic functionality right, not things that are essentially cosmetic.

I don't know, I disagree being Canadian and all. We have a few guys in the NFL and have in the past so for Nationality to be ignored (at least to determine Canada and USA as different) still takes out a lot of immersion and some of the fun for me. But not game breaking. When college becomes playable I would consider nationality and birthplace a must. We can't forget either that some people like to play to a team close to their "home" and buffalo isn't to far from some big cities in Canada...

http://www.tsn.ca/nfl/feature/?id=1190

Last edited by dave1927p; 07-06-2014 at 03:38 AM.
Old 07-06-2014, 11:24 AM   #16
frangipard
OOTP Roster Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1927p View Post
I don't know, I disagree being Canadian and all. We have a few guys in the NFL and have in the past so for Nationality to be ignored (at least to determine Canada and USA as different) still takes out a lot of immersion and some of the fun for me. But not game breaking. When college becomes playable I would consider nationality and birthplace a must. We can't forget either that some people like to play to a team close to their "home" and buffalo isn't to far from some big cities in Canada...

http://www.tsn.ca/nfl/feature/?id=1190
It may take away from immersion for you, but it's still cosmetic.

Getting the core sim engine right is hard enough. The console games couldn't get it right and they had years.
Old 07-06-2014, 11:59 AM   #17
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
It may take away from immersion for you, but it's still cosmetic.

Getting the core sim engine right is hard enough. The console games couldn't get it right and they had years.
I agree, it's a nice to have not a must have. Trying to be all things to all players out of the gate is a sure fire way to make the development process cumbersome. My immersion will come from the accurate portrayal of Football NFL style.

RichW

#stopthestupid

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
Old 07-07-2014, 08:41 AM   #18
redfox000
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
I agree. Let's get the higher priority things out of the way first. The bells and whistles should be added later. That is always the approach I take when developing an application.