Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Front Office Football > FOF - General Discussions

FOF - General Discussions Discuss the upcoming Front Office Football by OOTP Developments here.

Old 05-06-2014, 07:08 PM   #1
Francis Cole
Lead Developer for BTS

Interested in being a researcher for BTS? (updated)

Hello everyone,

BTS is starting to look for dedicated researchers to help with the extensive data which will feature in the game. Are you interested?

We already have decades worth of existing data, however we will need to continually keep this up to date, as well go back in time and add data from decades past.

To begin with, researchers will not be entering in subjective data - So no arguing about if Chad Pennington should be rated as 90 for pass accuracy or 100 (the correct answer is 100 of course!) - instead we will be requiring the entering of "facts". e.g. stats/transactions/injuries/contracts/combine data/draft data etc etc.

And all of this data will be entered using our new on-line tool!

If this is the kind of thing you think you would be interested then please leave your comments below, as well as why you think we should pick you!

Unfortunately we will not be able to choose everyone who applies, and we will be leaving this open for a few weeks, so please don't expect a response straight away.

Thanks everyone,
Francis

Last edited by Francis Cole; 08-07-2014 at 11:55 AM.
Old 05-06-2014, 09:24 PM   #2
dumbrabbit
All Star Reserve

The business side of football is my thing. I am always up to date on the transactions and contracts. I love statistics. football is my number one favorite thing to watch during the fall and would love to help the team research. I am on football websites a lot looking at statistics and I have always loved the GM part of the game. I have a few stats apps on my phone that I use to look up stats whenever I am interested. Also I know a lot of players on rosters because I follow the draft and free agency. This would definitely be fun for me to do in helping research for the game.

These are the reasons why you should consider me to be a researcher - thank you for considering me.

EDIT: I should note that I use excel quite often,so I'm experienced in software programs.

Last edited by dumbrabbit; 05-15-2014 at 05:15 PM.
Old 05-06-2014, 10:54 PM   #3
Afino
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis Cole View Post
To begin with, researchers will not be entering in subjective data - So no arguing about if Chad Pennington should be rated as 90 for pass accuracy or 100 (the correct answer is 100 of course!)
he will also get a Arm rating of 1. And that's not subjective, either

https://www.google.com/#q=chad+pennington+noodle+arm

"Chad Pennington noodle arm" - 61k results!

Old 05-06-2014, 11:38 PM   #4
gbmoore121
All Star Reserve

I'd like to help.

Good with excel, business analytics is my profession, love the stat side of sports.

Last edited by gbmoore121; 05-08-2014 at 11:50 PM.
Old 05-07-2014, 04:33 AM   #5
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

What, no team- or league-level research is needed?
Old 05-07-2014, 03:02 PM   #6
colourmebrad
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Grande Orange View Post
What, no team- or league-level research is needed?
If you sum up player stats you get team/league stats.
Old 05-07-2014, 06:18 PM   #7
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by colourmebrad View Post
If you sum up player stats you get team/league stats.
Yes, but that doesn't address the matter of team histories, past seasons' results, attendance, etc.
Old 05-07-2014, 06:24 PM   #8
ashby
Bat Boy

I'm totally up for it! I'm very determined, have a passion for football, and a love for OOTP games. I'd be honored to help research for this!
Old 05-08-2014, 12:34 AM   #9
OneEyedJacks
Bat Boy

I'd love to do it. I'm fascinating by the team building process in the NFL and am very interested in the economics of it, so I spend a lot of time diving into statistics. I'm a huge football fan and love video games, especially in depth simulations like BTS, so would appreciate the opportunity to help out.
Old 05-08-2014, 11:14 AM   #10
Kush131
Bat Boy

Would love to at least attempt to help out with this. I am a college comp sci major on summer break and have next to nothing to do (going into third year... Co-op didn't pull through for me ) . If I were part of this, I would attempt to add some level of automation to the process so data can be gathered quickly and efficiently. I realize you already have an online tool, but hey... If you are just grabbing most of your data from an online source I could try to throw together a web scrapper that formats the data how you want it and adds some automation to the process. Let me know .

P.S: I think it also is worth mentioning that I love football. Played it for 4 years in high school and had to stop in college due to injury. I currently play Madden's franchise mode pretty extensively and love to build teams from the bottom to the top through the draft. I also read football related news daily and use Reddit as my main aggregate. I also play Football Manager and OOTP, but really am excited for a football sim on the PC.

Last edited by Kush131; 05-08-2014 at 11:26 AM.
Old 05-08-2014, 11:37 AM   #11
cust71
Bat Boy

Count me in, starting this summer, I'm done with school and then once fall arrives, I no longer will be working, just school, and will have time to do something great like this! BIG football fan...Green Bay!
Old 05-08-2014, 07:34 PM   #12
brettrankin
Minors (Single A)

I will gladly help out if needed. I have played OOTP for years and I would like to help BTS become just as good. It would be so cool if we can get a Football game close to the level of OOTP. OOTP provides so much entertainment for me and I would like to help out in anyway. I am currently a datawarehouse developer with over 10 years of experience....maybe you can use this type of analytical skills for your research.
Old 05-09-2014, 11:55 AM   #13
jimmybignuts
Bat Boy

I'd love to get involved.

I don't post much on here but I'm a serial lurker! I'm a big fan of FHM and have bought the last few OOTPs (I'm in England and not super knowledgeable about MLB, but I'm getting there!) but American Football is my true love. Been a fan ever since I started watching it about 10 years ago. I'm a Giants fan, simply because they were the first team I saw.

Oh, and I work with data entry/databases/general Excel wizardry on a daily basis so I'd like to think I have something to offer
Old 05-10-2014, 04:24 PM   #14
musicman
Bat Boy

I would absolutely be open to assisting on the project. I'm a finance grad and deal with numbers and excel every day. If there is anything that I could contribute, please let me know!
Old 05-11-2014, 10:57 AM   #15
UncleBarry
Bat Boy

Quite happy to assist - have done plenty of database entry and work in my time so it shouldn't be too far away from my skillset!
Old 05-11-2014, 05:20 PM   #16
jslmsca
All Star Reserve

Is this strictly for NFL transactions? There's over a 100 years of CFL history out there and even if it's not modelled for the initial release, it may be useful to have that data available for the future.
Old 05-14-2014, 02:39 AM   #17
goalieump413
All Star Reserve

Francis,

Just saw this thread and I'm interested in helping too.

I have a couple of questions:
  1. Will individual assistants you select be responsible for collecting data, and from which sources?
  2. If you provide the data source(s), will your assistants be given specific players, teams, eras to transcribe, analyze, and record?
I'm curious because if we knew the format and source(s) where you want help from, I'm sure those you choose could enter the data faster, cross check each other, etc.

Anyhow, I'm willing to help where I can, and thanks for making the offer to everyone.
Old 05-14-2014, 03:18 AM   #18
Francis Cole
Lead Developer for BTS

We have several sources we already use, and when we pick the researchers they will be told which sources to use.

Depending how many researchers we choose each one will be responsible for a single team or a single division.
Old 05-15-2014, 05:30 AM   #19
Avindian
Minors (Triple A)

I'd like to throw my hat into the ring, as it were. I've done some research for games in the past (although strategy games, not a sports game), and I'm pretty comfortable with Excel as a database.

I assume that researchers are also de facto beta testers? If so, I've done a lot of beta testing for Paradox games.
Old 05-15-2014, 01:39 PM   #20
WIUPIKE
All Star Starter

I would be interested in being a researcher.

I am good with excel, pulling and presenting data is 1/2 my job. Since age 5 i have always pulled stats on players and tried to guess how they would develop and what they have done.