Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Front Office Football > FOF - General Discussions

FOF - General Discussions Discuss the upcoming Front Office Football by OOTP Developments here.

Old 01-31-2014, 12:26 PM   #101
Orioles1966
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis Cole View Post
yes, that's the plan.

The computer will basically just treat your team as a computer team in regards to drafting/signing players etc, and the during the game will let you choose the plays.
Approx. how long will one game last(excluding OT games)?
Old 01-31-2014, 12:35 PM   #102
Francis Cole
Lead Developer for BTS

No TV timeouts, no waiting around at the end of the Q or H. Once you have chosen your play you can fast forward to the snap so you don't have to wait for the play clock to tick down.
In the middle of a play you can just go straight to the snap of the next one if you want (or if you are choosing the play go straight to where you choose the next play).

I guess it you are actually watching very single play, and never skip forward so you watch the play clock run down for every play it would take a while. But I don't think many will do that.

Of course you can just not choose the plays and the result comes up after a second or so.
Old 01-31-2014, 12:35 PM   #103
Mecza
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by beezer2434 View Post
Will (or can) there be some sort of development blog that gets updated maybe once a month on how the development is going or what youre working?

I think thatll make it easier for us to wait for the game and keep us busy reading.
Doesn't even need to be a separate blog, but posts just knowing what is going on would be really cool.

It sounds like BTS will be trying to emulate Football Manager a little more than OOTP. American Football rosters are huge though. It'll be interesting to see how much micromanagement will be involved with roster transactions and the like.
Old 01-31-2014, 12:37 PM   #104
Orioles1966
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
No TV timeouts, no waiting around at the end of the Q or H. Once you have chosen your play you can fast forward to the snap so you don't have to wait for the play clock to tick down.
In the middle of a play you can just go straight to the snap of the next one if you want (or if you are choosing the play go straight to where you choose the next play).

I guess it you are actually watching very single play, and never skip forward so you watch the play clock run down for every play it would take a while. But I don't think many will do that.

Of course you can just not choose the plays and the result comes up after a second or so.
Can you play the game unattended(like OOTP)?
Old 01-31-2014, 12:40 PM   #105
Francis Cole
Lead Developer for BTS

You can let your coaches call the plays so then you just sit back and watch the action.

You can also skip to the end of the game at any point if just want the game over with!
Old 01-31-2014, 12:46 PM   #106
Cryomaniac
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mecza View Post
Doesn't even need to be a separate blog, but posts just knowing what is going on would be really cool.

It sounds like BTS will be trying to emulate Football Manager a little more than OOTP. American Football rosters are huge though. It'll be interesting to see how much micromanagement will be involved with roster transactions and the like.
Roster size in the NFL is 53 with 46 active for any game.

Old 01-31-2014, 12:58 PM   #107
Giants44
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
Very good news on this game and as a long time high school coach I have a suggestion in this area that is used by coaches at most levels.

In addition to things like sacks allowed, knockdowns, etc is including a grading system for linemen. Basically this is an indicator of how often they complete their assignment on a given play.

So if a lineman is in the game for 20 plays and carries out his blocking assignment correctly 15 times he would grade out at 75%. Not sure if/how this would fit into the game mechanics but throwing it out there as a way to track O-Line performance.
as a long time coach as well - I agree with this 10000%

we have our line coaches watch and grade each player on each play. The average fan sees penlites, sacks and pancakes but completely misses when lineman perfectly execute combo blocks, or trading off on stunts. stuff that makes all the difference.

would love to see this modeled in the game, the game is won\lost in the trenches at every level of football.

"Judge a man not by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character"
-Martin Luther King

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."
-Einstein

"The man who views the world at 50 the same as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life."
-Muhammad Ali

"Baseball statistics are like a girl in a bikini. They show a lot, but not everything."
-Toby Harrah
Old 01-31-2014, 01:14 PM   #108
Lee
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giants44 View Post
, the game is won\lost in the trenches at every level of football.

Nothing truer has ever been spoken and we need to get the big guys some love in the game!
Old 01-31-2014, 01:34 PM   #109
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomaniac View Post
Roster size in the NFL is 53 with 46 active for any game.
Only during the season. In the offseason they can be anywhere between 90 and 53 depending on just what time of the year it is.
Old 01-31-2014, 02:21 PM   #110
ecd1973
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomaniac View Post
Makes sense. Here is the file with the list of British (well, England and Scotland) universities (plus service academies, which aren't involved in the BUCS in real life). It's in the OOTP Schools.txt format.

I think this is the first official BTS mod!

I am extremely excited for this game, by the way. Thanks OOTP Developments!
Old 01-31-2014, 02:23 PM   #111
KurtBevacqua
Hall Of Famer

Will tempo be a part of offensive gameplanning to enable you to run a no-huddle style offense?

Also, how wide an array of formations will be available? Will it just be NFL orthodox formations or will various option formations like wishbone or spread option be available? Seems like the game nowadays is getting more and more away from the old orthodox pro style formations into an almost anything goes mentality.
"The type and formula of most schemes of philanthropy or humanitarianism is this: A and B put their heads together to decide what C shall be made to do for D. The radical vice of all these schemes, from a sociological point of view, is that C is not allowed a voice in the matter, and his position, character, and interests, as well as the ultimate effects on society through C's interests, are entirely overlooked. I call C the Forgotten Man"

- William Graham Sumner
Old 01-31-2014, 02:25 PM   #112
Pacoheadley
All Star Reserve

Quote:
We will of course have Q/P/D/O for a mid-week status, and the health map will show a bit of that. But the main focus of the health map (sorry I couldn't think of a better name ) is to inform you the long term wear and tear of a player.

If you draft a college RB you are probably not that concerned about his fitness that week, you are most certainly interested to know if his knees are completely ruined from a college injury though.
Do you know yet how accurate the health map will be? Even the teams with the best training staffs miss things sometimes, and unexpected injuries come up. Not only that, concussion histories can also be hard to track. I love the health map idea, but I don't want it to be too accurate or for it to tell everything easily.
Old 01-31-2014, 02:25 PM   #113
KurtBevacqua
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orioles1966 View Post
Here's a question about NFL overtime in your game-What would happen if a team held the ball for the entire 15 minutes of overtime and kicked a FG as time expired. Would the game still continue because the defense never received the ball?
I think I can answer this for real-world scenarios. If it's a regular season game, the game ends after the period is over regardless of the ingame situation (unless there is a defensive penalty of course).

If it is post season, then you would have to set another 15 mintues on the clock and give the other team a chance with the ball.
"The type and formula of most schemes of philanthropy or humanitarianism is this: A and B put their heads together to decide what C shall be made to do for D. The radical vice of all these schemes, from a sociological point of view, is that C is not allowed a voice in the matter, and his position, character, and interests, as well as the ultimate effects on society through C's interests, are entirely overlooked. I call C the Forgotten Man"

- William Graham Sumner
Old 01-31-2014, 02:32 PM   #114
KurtBevacqua
Hall Of Famer

And another question, thoughts in the future to era settings like OOTP has? MY thoughts would specifically be on defense vs offense, run vs pass percentages, kicking percentages, etc. You look at NFL history, much like MLB there are very clear trends to specific eras.

- William Graham Sumner
Old 01-31-2014, 02:43 PM   #115
Cryomaniac
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecd1973 View Post
I think this is the first official BTS mod!

I made that ages ago for OOTP, so I don't think it counts lol.

Old 01-31-2014, 03:23 PM   #116
Marinersfan51
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
Very good news on this game and as a long time high school coach I have a suggestion in this area that is used by coaches at most levels.

In addition to things like sacks allowed, knockdowns, etc is including a grading system for linemen. Basically this is an indicator of how often they complete their assignment on a given play.

So if a lineman is in the game for 20 plays and carries out his blocking assignment correctly 15 times he would grade out at 75%. Not sure if/how this would fit into the game mechanics but throwing it out there as a way to track O-Line performance.
This would be a good thing to have, as a former offensive lineman, we had those when I played in high school.

They can be misleading though, I always scored very well 90%+, but was far from our best lineman, we had one guy who struggled to score 60% but dominated. That was mostly because he got knocked down for the times he should have been penalized, the guy was a walking penalty machine, holding, hands to the face, blows to the head, and even picking up the d lineman and throwing him at backers, but he almost never got called, he had it down to an art.

Last edited by Marinersfan51; 01-31-2014 at 03:32 PM.
Old 01-31-2014, 03:47 PM   #117
Francis Cole
Lead Developer for BTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacoheadley View Post
Do you know yet how accurate the health map will be? Even the teams with the best training staffs miss things sometimes, and unexpected injuries come up. Not only that, concussion histories can also be hard to track. I love the health map idea, but I don't want it to be too accurate or for it to tell everything easily.
It will be fairly accurate. While staff do miss stuff, it's not going to be case of you would be completely unaware someone's knees have gone etc.
Old 01-31-2014, 03:49 PM   #118
Francis Cole
Lead Developer for BTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtBevacqua View Post
And another question, thoughts in the future to era settings like OOTP has? MY thoughts would specifically be on defense vs offense, run vs pass percentages, kicking percentages, etc. You look at NFL history, much like MLB there are very clear trends to specific eras.
There are differences, though in a lot of cases it was because the rules were completely different.

Not only is the engine completely different in the fundamentals of how it works compared to OOTP, Baseball is (obviously!) very different to Football.

As we won't be doing historical stuff for V1 we won't be having those kinds of stuff for the first version.
Old 01-31-2014, 04:15 PM   #119
brettrankin
Minors (Single A)

The 2D and 3D Graphics seem important for Football

I love the OOTP Baseball games. And for me...the gameplay graphics are not the most important part of a baseball game. I can picture in my mind the play when reading the dialogue. But for football, seeing the play is very important. Will the emphasis of the development be on the 2d and 3D graphics?
Old 01-31-2014, 04:26 PM   #120
SirMichaelJordan
Hall Of Famer

1. Any info about coaching staff and their roles in the game?

The few other Football sims lack in this area.

It would be great to see more details in this part of the game.

2. Since teams will share the same playbook how many different plays can we expect to see come release?

3. Will preseason matter? Can we expect to see roster cut dates?

4. 3-4 defense, how will this affect (AI) roster decisions and depth chart?

Last edited by SirMichaelJordan; 01-31-2014 at 04:32 PM.