Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 03-28-2019, 08:09 AM   #1
jparker2112
All Star Reserve

Live Update Questions

OK..I LOVE this aspect but have some questions. I started a 2019 game yesterday. I know the rosters wont be changed for OD until monday perhaps but it got me thinking....
1) when/if im further down the road in my league vs when the roster update and live update is..well updated will that affect my game?
2) if i did a fantasy draft and say Morales is on SF...will he be moved to OAK then?
3) does the live update have a push button or is it automatic?
jparker2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 08:15 AM   #2
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

There's 2 live updating ways: one is to start a new game and that that populated with data. The other is updates to games in progress. For your inquiries:
1) You need to manually select to update, and updates in progress will only change ratings. So if you don't want any changes, don't hit the button and you're safe. If you want changes, just hit the button to update whenever you want to see updated ratings
2) If you do a fantasy draft, that happens any initial live setup, so no MLB roster moves will matter
3) You need to manually decide when to update ratings. Nothing in it is pushed to you.
Matt Arnold is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 08:39 AM   #3
jparker2112
All Star Reserve

excellent and thanks for such a quick response!!!
jparker2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 12:28 PM   #4
jbergey22
Hall Of Famer

I dont really understand live update. It doesnt seem to get updated very often. Just on the O's. Trumbo was put on the 60 day DL a few days ago. Bleier isnt hurt while Cobb is. I havent even bothered to look through the other teams. I was hoping to simulate today but it doesnt look possible without fixing a ton of stuff.

I was under the impression that the transactions are updated daily.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 04:19 PM   #5
mgom27
Hall Of Famer

Yes some of the moves past Eric Kratz one aren't their.
Old 03-29-2019, 10:27 AM   #6
Neags23
All Star Starter

Matt, you mentioned "updates in progress only change ratings"... what does that mean? Are players not moved around based on real life transactions?

The button in the UI only mentions ratings as well, so I'm guessing this whole feature (for existing games) is ratings only, not team transactions/updated rosters? So to get updated rosters, you'd need to start a new game?

Former GM Washburn Sea Wolves Dog Days Baseball - 1981 & 1986 Kennel Cup Champions
Neags23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 10:42 AM   #7
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neags23 View Post
Matt, you mentioned "updates in progress only change ratings"... what does that mean? Are players not moved around based on real life transactions?

The button in the UI only mentions ratings as well, so I'm guessing this whole feature (for existing games) is ratings only, not team transactions/updated rosters? So to get updated rosters, you'd need to start a new game?

ONLY ratings in current games, to get the moves and other stuff you "must" start a new MLB game.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 10:52 AM   #8
Neags23
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
ONLY ratings in current games, to get the moves and other stuff you "must" start a new MLB game.
Thanks for the clarification.

This is a little disappointing. Any idea if that will be a coming feature, to update rosters of existing games?

Former GM Washburn Sea Wolves Dog Days Baseball - 1981 & 1986 Kennel Cup Champions
Old 03-29-2019, 10:58 AM   #9
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

Quote:
Thanks for the clarification.

This is a little disappointing. Any idea if that will be a coming feature, to update rosters of existing games?
We may open it up later, but it gets more confusing how things should work. For example, if you started a game, and in your game Toronto traded Pillar to the Reds, but then in real life they trade him to the Mets, should your game update him to the new team? What about the return that Toronto got, I guess they have to go back to the old team?

Plus as mentioned, we're still working with our data provider, and with the first year with them, we're learning how their system works. There's a few things with that that will actually make it a little harder to process transactions than we initially thought, so we may need a little more time to handle some of these transactions issues and have it more reliably move players between teams.
Old 03-29-2019, 11:21 AM   #10
Neags23
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Arnold View Post
We may open it up later, but it gets more confusing how things should work. For example, if you started a game, and in your game Toronto traded Pillar to the Reds, but then in real life they trade him to the Mets, should your game update him to the new team? What about the return that Toronto got, I guess they have to go back to the old team?

Plus as mentioned, we're still working with our data provider, and with the first year with them, we're learning how their system works. There's a few things with that that will actually make it a little harder to process transactions than we initially thought, so we may need a little more time to handle some of these transactions issues and have it more reliably move players between teams.
That makes a lot of sense. I know I'm just one in a sea of many, but the way I pictured it/hoped it would work is that when you update, it literally becomes a snapshot of the current real world day. So anything you've simmed essentially gets overwritten. Maybe that's not what other people would want, but I think that'd be amazing to use as a simulation for fantasy or... "vegas"... purposes, to get an idea of what OOTP thinks will happen with the matchups of the current day.

Old 03-29-2019, 11:29 AM   #11
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

Quote:
That makes a lot of sense. I know I'm just one in a sea of many, but the way I pictured it/hoped it would work is that when you update, it literally becomes a snapshot of the current real world day. So anything you've simmed essentially gets overwritten. Maybe that's not what other people would want, but I think that'd be amazing to use as a simulation for fantasy or... "vegas"... purposes, to get an idea of what OOTP thinks will happen with the matchups of the current day.
You can do that if you start a new game, where you get a snapshot view of today (or even any day up before opening day).
Old 03-29-2019, 11:31 AM   #12
Neags23
All Star Starter

Quote:
You can do that if you start a new game, where you get a snapshot view of today (or even any day up before opening day).
Yep, for sure. It just takes a little while to start up the new game (I know, first world problems ).

Old 03-29-2019, 12:50 PM   #13
tellitB
Minors (Single A)

Quote:

Would it be something like where we can turn off all trades and follow Major League rosters only? Therefore, no teams will do anything unless it happens in real life. It can be option that someone can turn on or off when they start their new game.
tellitB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 02:22 PM   #14
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tellitB View Post
Would it be something like where we can turn off all trades and follow Major League rosters only? Therefore, no teams will do anything unless it happens in real life. It can be option that someone can turn on or off when they start their new game.
That would maybe work for the 2019 season or played just that particular day that's the same as RL MLB. Once you get past 2019 and players retire, age, etc.. I doubt that it would work or at least I have no idea how that could work.

I believe the purpose was to start a new league and have an accurate world that mirrors the current MLB up to the same day.

The other option is to start your league and get rating updates so the players tend to follow real world statistics.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 03:34 PM   #15
TPinrose
Minors (Double A)

Full disclosure, I don't play solo anymore.

I'm not sure what the selling point of this feature is. From what I can see, you can update player ratings based on stats. Personally, I wouldn't want to alter my league that way but some may. If I start a new game half way through the season it may be fun to see if I can change the fortunes of my favorite team, but I'm guessing that many will wish to play out 2019 if they want to start a new league that they will roll over into the next version. Some may wish to start a league after the 2019 season with accurate rosters and play into 2020.

In all these cases, I would say that those who buy a new a version and play through a couple seasons then start again might be happiest with live services. I have no idea how many people that is. If I'm missing something, please tell me.
TPinrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 05:30 AM   #16
Edouard236
Bat Boy

Turning on Live Start allows players to start a season with the current, real-world rosters and records for all MLB teams. I found this to be a fairly simple, yet cool feature that helps make each game more organic and realistic clean master apk.

Last edited by Edouard236; 05-14-2019 at 08:03 AM.
Edouard236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 08:34 AM   #17
strzepeksc
All Star Reserve

Live Update Fails

Disregard my error

Last edited by strzepeksc; 05-13-2019 at 09:07 AM. Reason: I was wrong
strzepeksc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 12:44 PM   #18
Vaspirate
Bat Boy

can anyone tell me where to find the update option? I would love to play as the Reds but since OOTP dogs them so badly in the original rosters it makes them a challenge to play.
Vaspirate is offline   Reply With Quote