Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 02-28-2019, 03:39 PM   #1
brandonmuc
Minors (Single A)

Playing With the Phillies Will be Interesting

Well 13 years/$330 million just made a lot of OOTP Phillies franchises get a lot more interesting!
brandonmuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 05:03 PM   #2
geoffmatt17
Major Leagues

For the end of the year: can we get some next level analytics on how many OOTP 20 games are started with the Phillies where aging modifiers are turned all the way down??
geoffmatt17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 07:28 PM   #3
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

lol, first thing you should do is find an exit strategy for that horrendous contract.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 07:48 PM   #4
professor ape
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoOne View Post
lol, first thing you should do is find an exit strategy for that horrendous contract.
While not yet confirmed by the team; word is that there are no opt outs, no deferred money, and a a pretty extensive no trade clause. Sounds like an owner and GM who only plan to be around for the first five or six years of the contract.
professor ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 08:09 PM   #5
jimmysthebestcop
Banned

Infractions: 0/2 (5)
But its only 25 million a year
jimmysthebestcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 08:21 PM   #6
grall1126
Minors (Single A)

Waste of money for an overrated player and a ME generation person. I am glad the Mets told him to go away.
grall1126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 08:22 PM   #7
professor ape
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmysthebestcop View Post
But its only 25 million a year
It sounds like playing in a homer friendly stadium to drive up his career stats was a factor. DC, LA, and SF are not exactly great in that regard.
Old 02-28-2019, 08:26 PM   #8
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

age 26 season through age 39. very likely 125M wasted the last 5 years.

like professor ape said, little wiggle room, can't trade, etc etc. the guy has been up and down and slightly injury prone so far... good luck, philly.

he'd have gotten 10years 35-40M/year before the owners clearly set a soft cap on themselves. shhh, no one is supposed to know, but the behaviour is screaming it overtly, lol.

hey, if he starts being consistent every year and plays 150g/year until ~36-37, i'd call it a good contract and eat my words... lots of ifs there... even in that context, it's 75M wasted... just thrown away and delays any rebuilding and nearly eliminates the likelihood of reloading. i wouldn't do that, but it would be regarded as a decent trade at that point... somehow... the bar is quite low, lol.

Last edited by NoOne; 02-28-2019 at 08:30 PM.
Old 02-28-2019, 08:48 PM   #9
Murph3
Minors (Single A)

I doubt OOTP’s AI would accept a trade for Harper unless you retained 30-50% of that salary. 13 years is crazy. I doubt he’s playing at 39, much less with the Phillies.
Murph3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 08:52 PM   #10
jimmysthebestcop
Banned

His .382 lifetime WoBA and 140 WRC+ is pretty darn consistent

He only had real injuries in 2017 if not he basically averages 150 games. Hell they probably only need him 130-140 games.
Old 02-28-2019, 08:58 PM   #11
low
Hall Of Famer

Regardless of the contract, I just wouldn't want his toxicity in the clubhouse. Let's be real here; the guy is a grade A D-bag. I really, really want this whole thing to backfire on Philly. Have fun with his .240 batting average and team-killing attitude.
low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 09:49 PM   #12
professor ape
All Star Starter

As a Nats’ fan I would have loved him to stay, but not for that contract. The Nats’ were in a strong position to stand firm with their ten-year offer which I felt was stretching it. Their current outfield of Soto-Eaton-Robles is projected to have the second highest combined WAR (behind the Brewers) with a total cost of $10MM. They focused on areas of need including a third top tier starter in Corbin, catcher, second base, and the bullpen.
Old 02-28-2019, 10:05 PM   #13
heir
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by low View Post
Regardless of the contract, I just wouldn't want his toxicity in the clubhouse. Let's be real here; the guy is a grade A D-bag. I really, really want this whole thing to backfire on Philly. Have fun with his .240 batting average and team-killing attitude.

While he bat only .249 last year, I don't think anyone would try to posit that a 26 year old MVP could possibly be declining; only that the player has oft been injured, which has curtailed some otherwise stellar production.

Whether we believe he's overrated, or injury prone... let's get the facts straight. Harper has a .279 career average, with an MVP season of .330.

I think both parties did well here. The Phils got a player that as of his MVP season would have been worth nearly 40 mil per -- for only 25 mil per season.

I don't think anyone would bet on the final 3 seasons; so I look at it as essentially a 10 year, 300 million deal, with 30 million deferred over the final 3 years. Basically, the Phils added the 3 years to bring the average per year down to an acceptable number. But, there's always a chance that he's still playing, and so the team retains his rights for an extra 3 years, for mere peanuts.

But, the deal is better than the 100 million in deferred money that the Nats were offering. This Phils deal has more total money, (a record) more guarantees, and no deferrals. Had Harper raked last season, and hit at least .300 or better, he would most likely be getting over 350-400 million, over 10 years. So, for those that have been paying attention, this was a fair deal for both sides, given the present conditions. But, if Harper returns to MVP form, the team will have made out like bandits.

In the end, Harper got what he was worth in the current market, and the team got a great deal for a star player. Although, if Harper starts hitting .300 again, he'll be asking for more money, or a trade, in 3 years or less. Count on it.

Last edited by heir; 02-28-2019 at 10:15 PM.
heir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 10:27 PM   #14
heir
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonmuc View Post
Well 13 years/$330 million just made a lot of OOTP Phillies franchises get a lot more interesting!

The game doesn't even do 13 year deals, right? It's just 10 years of contract, and then option years, right? Although, there are up to 10 years of additional options.

I wonder if OOTP will fix that little technicality.
heir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 11:39 PM   #15
jimmysthebestcop
Banned

Quote:
Disagree. 1st time he puts his body on the line everyone in Philly will worship him.

That's contagious. Watch he will turn into a leader with the most heart.

Washington always implodes Harper calls them out and they can't take. So he gets labeled instead of the guy slacking off.

If you slack off in Philly the fans will let you have at the stadium. The movies. Taking your kid to school. At the KFC. Wherever they see you at.

Chase Utley was one of the dirtiest sneakiest players in the MLB voted by players at the time
yet The city worshipped him as did every clubhouse and local media report.
Old 03-01-2019, 01:03 AM   #16
potsey7
Minors (Rookie Ball)

I'm still dealing with David Wrights $20 mil contract in my Mets save. Good luck people playing with Philly in about 5 years. Hope NL has DH by then
potsey7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 03:55 AM   #17
itsmb8
All Star Starter

Quote:
just wanted to say I love that youre a Brewers fan xD
itsmb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 04:16 AM   #18
jimmysthebestcop
Banned

Mets still have 2 deferred Bobby bonilla contracts on books. A Brett saberhagen contract. Traded 1 deferred to Arizona in like late 90s.

Think they traded half of another to Baltimore.

Bonilla still gets paid after Harper contract runs out lol
Old 03-01-2019, 08:58 AM   #19
neugey
All Star Reserve

There's career-ending injuries - and then there's career-ending contracts!
neugey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 04:43 PM   #20
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

he may have had an mvp year, or 2, but that doesn't mean he's an "mvp" player. time will tell, is what i was saying. i think he's overrated.

he may not have had official injuries at all times, but he always seems to have nagging injuries... plus, he's played 100-118g 3 times in the last 6 years? so, half the time he playes a very shortened season and 1/3rd o fthe time he's putting up dud numbers... so, yeah, he is overrated and can't stay on the field enough for 25-30M/year type money.

this is no slam dunk, even in the first 5 years. any contract that isn't overtly so shouldn't be signed. you let someoen desparate like the phillies do it... or some dying billionaire like mike illitch. his irrational choices set the franchise back 5-10 years and multiple bad contracts in the previous decade. (i think that's why dumbrowski left... sick of being on the hook for that guy's choices ruining his rep.. .except for trading, his run was marred by horrible extensions and fa signings, lol)