Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Front Office Football > FOF - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

FOF - General Discussions Discuss the upcoming Front Office Football by OOTP Developments here.

Old 02-02-2014, 02:53 PM   #61
Cryomaniac
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis Cole View Post
By all means you'll be able to customise your leagues and team names and have all the teams based in Canada (or wherever you want), and call the league the CFL (or whatever you want).
But it will be the CFL in name only.
Do you have any idea yet exactly what we will be able to customize in terms of rules?

Old 02-02-2014, 02:57 PM   #62
Cole
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomaniac View Post
Do you have any idea yet exactly what we will be able to customize in terms of rules?
I thought he had made it clear rules won't be customizable?
Old 02-02-2014, 03:57 PM   #63
Garethw87

I'm not one for causing 'trouble' but please never, never add Aussie rules to an American Football/Gridiron Sim! Aussie rules is totally different and would need it's own game! It'd be like adding the NFL, CFL and Premiership Rugby on the game, totally random mix up!

As for the game... NFL for v1 as correct as possible sounds great to me. CFL in the future, sure, I love Canada so i'm happy about that too. With regards to the NFL side...

If it's going to have historical play, does this mean NFL Europe's rise and fall will be included?

Old 02-02-2014, 04:03 PM   #64
Cryomaniac
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripwalk View Post
I thought he had made it clear rules won't be customizable?
I know he said that we wont be able to make something like the CFL, but I was wondering if we'd be able to say change stuff like penalty yardage (eg making defensive pass interference 15 yards instead of the spot of the foul).

Old 02-02-2014, 05:41 PM   #65
dave1927p
FHM Moderator

Quote:
By all means you'll be able to customise your leagues and team names and have all the teams based in Canada (or wherever you want), and call the league the CFL (or whatever you want).
But it will be the CFL in name only.

I just don't want you to keep getting your hopes up for no reason for V1.

I hope you all understand
Francis

This sort of sounds to me like we cannot have multiple pro leagues coinciding in the same world? olivertheorem, do you happen to have the link where Francis clarified otherwise? That will greatly help with my expectations

Nothings worse than having expectations too high as it just leaves to disappointment even when there's a solid product released. But the strategy I think where the focus on the NFL and College is first is the best route for V1. Now, lets just skip to V2 for 2015!

Last edited by dave1927p; 02-02-2014 at 05:44 PM.
Old 02-02-2014, 05:44 PM   #66
Francis Cole
Lead Developer for BTS

The plan is that you will be able to have more than one league in the same country, though it will be capped.
Old 02-02-2014, 05:47 PM   #67
dave1927p
FHM Moderator

Quote:
The plan is that you will be able to have more than one league in the same country, though it will be capped.
Awesome. So my expectations are a solid NFL game with the NCAA feeder leagues (huge bonus) and the option of fictional leagues with limited customization to those league rules. I'm still going to be a thorn in your side until stat totals are added to the past draft classes screen but I'm still quite excited!

Last edited by dave1927p; 02-02-2014 at 05:48 PM.
Old 02-03-2014, 02:04 PM   #68
rocksbury
Minors (Rookie Ball)

I have to say i'm impressed with the amount of support for a CFL option.
Devs take note. Make a poll determine how many people are interested and maybe focus development on a CFL or similar environment for launch.

Sure it might be more work but look after what a couple days of announcing we have a thread with tones of support for it. Hell why not make some changes limit those rules to Canada and implement a one league system that replicates the CFL. As for future versions build on to it in the next version.

To be honest I can understand why you wouldnt focus on it. The NFL sells more then the CFL but remember you have a ton of new fans that are looking at FHM and Canada loves Hockey...anyone thinking a bundle promotion here.

BTS (CFL)+FHM
OOTP+ BTS
Old 02-03-2014, 05:43 PM   #69
le receveur
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garethw87 View Post
Aussie rules is totally different and would need it's own game! It'd be like adding the NFL, CFL and Premiership Rugby on the game, totally random mix up!
adding Rugby would make me buy the game, even if i didn't care about american football. not sure adding CFL creates more buyer.
Old 02-03-2014, 06:10 PM   #70
Cole
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocksbury View Post
I have to say i'm impressed with the amount of support for a CFL option.
Devs take note. Make a poll determine how many people are interested and maybe focus development on a CFL or similar environment for launch.

Sure it might be more work but look after what a couple days of announcing we have a thread with tones of support for it. Hell why not make some changes limit those rules to Canada and implement a one league system that replicates the CFL. As for future versions build on to it in the next version.
For whatever it's worth, while the thread is long, I just went back and counted and there were less than 10 unique people in the thread who explicitly stated support for the CFL's inclusion in the game. That's hardly what I'd call tons of support.

The rest of the thread featured a lot of repeat posters, a fair amount of bickering between me and others and even several people who have spoken up saying they don't think it's wise for CFL to be included.

I think this thread is exactly the opposite - a good indication of the niche appeal of the CFL amongst the bigger world of football sim enthusiasts.

And the most important post of all was Francis' where he stated that the goal of the game is to perfect one aspect of the game as best as possible before moving on to something secondary like CFL. I think regardless of feeling on the CFL, we can all agree that's a really good plan and logic.

Last edited by Cole; 02-03-2014 at 06:18 PM.
Old 02-03-2014, 06:14 PM   #71
Francis Cole
Lead Developer for BTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1927p View Post
Awesome. So my expectations are a solid NFL game with the NCAA feeder leagues (huge bonus) and the option of fictional leagues with limited customization to those league rules. I'm still going to be a thorn in your side until stat totals are added to the past draft classes screen but I'm still quite excited!
Yes. And I've mentally added your request on my things to do list
Old 02-03-2014, 06:37 PM   #72
BradC
All Star Starter

Again, Markus and Francis can override me on this, but I can't see us implementing the CFL in v1. We really need to take this game one step at a time, which means getting the NFL to work right before we start piling on the variations found in the CFL, historical NFL play back in the early days, when the game was played much differently, etc.

Also, I don't see us ever putting rugby or Aussie rules football into this game. Those are completely different sports. That would be like putting cricket in OOTP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by le receveur View Post
adding Rugby would make me buy the game, even if i didn't care about american football. not sure adding CFL creates more buyer.
Old 02-03-2014, 07:00 PM   #73
StLee
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradC View Post
Again, Markus and Francis can override me on this, but I can't see us implementing the CFL in v1. We really need to take this game one step at a time, which means getting the NFL to work right before we start piling on the variations found in the CFL, historical NFL play back in the early days, when the game was played much differently, etc.

Also, I don't see us ever putting rugby or Aussie rules football into this game. Those are completely different sports. That would be like putting cricket in OOTP.

Likewise, I associate BTS making a CFL aspect equivalent to OOTP making a softball aspect. In both cases, very similar games but much, much different.

With the graphics engine being a part of the game, there would have to be entirely different graphics engines, which to me seems to be two separate games.

Why not declare BTS an American football simulator with the possibility of adding a second Canadian football simulator as a separate game in the far future?

Current dynasties: Fallout 4's Commonwealth Baseball Organization

Completed dynasty: Fallout: New Vegas' Mojave Baseball League

Uniforms: My custom uniforms
Old 02-03-2014, 07:49 PM   #74
Cryomaniac
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Certainly for version 1 it makes sense to not include the CFL. As I've said before though, it would be nice at a later date to be able to include it and even mix and match rules from it and the NFL (12 man football on an NFL size field, without Single Points, for example).

Quote:
Originally Posted by StLee View Post
Why not declare BTS an American football simulator with the possibility of adding a second Canadian football simulator as a separate game in the far future?
That would, in my humble opinion, be a waste of resources to do, because it would take far less effort to add the necessary rules and graphic options to an existing game to allow the CFL than it would to create a new game, even one largely based on BTS.

Last edited by Cryomaniac; 02-03-2014 at 07:51 PM.
Old 02-04-2014, 01:33 AM   #75
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
We really need to take this game one step at a time, which means getting the NFL to work right before we start piling on the variations found in the CFL, historical NFL play back in the early days, when the game was played much differently, etc.
I agree, but in regards to the bolded, I would make the distinction between the historical in terms of the on-the-field game (e.g. player performance and statistics, etc.) and the off-the-field game (league rules such as playoff formats, tie-breaking, drafts, free agency, reserve clause, etc.).

I understand doing the historical aspect of the on-the-field game is difficult, but perhaps some of the off-the-field aspects can be incorporated to some degree in v1. The benefit of such inclusion is that it allows more options for fictional league players to choose from, as well as laying the groundwork for historical leagues when the on-the-field area is tackled (pun fully intended).
Old 02-04-2014, 05:23 AM   #76
Orioles1966
Hall Of Famer

If and when the CFL does become available,I will switch most of my Custom Leagues to CFL rules.
Old 02-04-2014, 08:28 PM   #77
dave1927p
FHM Moderator

Quote:
Yes. And I've mentally added your request on my things to do list
Hopefully you have a better memory than me...I forget everything!
Old 02-05-2014, 01:41 AM   #78
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Lots of interesting quirks in CFL history.

For example, early on university teams were eligible to compete for the Grey Cup (and several actually won it). For many years WIFU (Western Interprovincial Football Union, the forerunner of the Western Conference of the CFL) used to take the top three finishers into the playoffs. The second and third place teams played a two-game, total points series. The winner of that then faced the first place team in a best-of-three series to determine the Grey Cup western representative. (Yes, a best-of-three series in football.) The schedules were, by today's standards, seemingly brutal: several times a club would play a game, get just one day off, then play another game.

ETA: A site with a lot of past CFL standings and schedules, check out this site. In the centre section ("CFL Stuff") hit the "CFL History" link to go to a page listing all the years that have season data available.

Last edited by Le Grande Orange; 02-05-2014 at 01:48 AM.
Old 04-19-2014, 01:18 AM   #79
CNOSLIM
Minors (Single A)

Firstly, can you add customized leagues to a current game that i will be playing as the nfl only?. If so then ill create the cfl and afl -- use them as rivals to the nfl and they can play with the nfl rules which dont bother me much because id much rather nfl rules -- but ya so if you can have the nfl and customized leagues rivals in the same game why not build them and use the same rules.
Old 05-19-2014, 10:12 AM   #80
24Rocks
All Star Reserve

Any way I have seen that most people In the states REALLY love NCAA football and if I was making a game NCAA fully would be a bigger option the the CFL. Now I would personally love to see the CFL because its a very rich history league and a good lower league option for the NFL.

AFBL:Ontario Blue Pirates (2013-2055) 3177-3255(.494)
Wild Card:8
Division Titles: 8
Pennants: 2020, 2049, 2051
2051 CHAMPS

Former leagues:
LOHO: Detroit Tigers
ISL: San Diego Padres
VSL: Pittsburgh Pirates
NPBL: Ohio Raptors/Nova Scotia Fishermen
Check you my YOUTUBE or TWITCH