Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 19 - General Discussions Everything about the 2018 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 02-21-2018, 12:16 AM   #1
LooneyOne
Minors (Single A)

I requested this once before .. so ill cross my fingers and request again

Any way to have an option where players end up with their real life stats when simming historical seasons? .. i mean, we already have pretty accurate lineup transactions when playing historical, how about also having the players having their actual stats too? .. am i alone in this?
LooneyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 12:39 AM   #2
torpidbeaver
Major Leagues

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Are you asking for the ability to be able to replay seasons, exactly as they were, game by game, and potentially pitch by pitch? Or... the ability to play a game and not necessarily know how the game will go, but know at the end of the season the stats will end up equal to past results?

I'd guess the first instance would be difficult and time consuming, and the second would be almost impossible. Never mind accounting for injuries and trades, but like, let's say Don Mattingly goes 0-fer against Tom Glavine on a day in which he's supposed to get three hits and a walk. That's got to cause a cascade of multiplying effects - since he went 0-fer but on that day IRL Glavine gave up two hits to him and two of those hits drove in runs so where do the runs come from lets throw them to the next guy in the batting order but he didn't get any knocks that day IRL so tomorrow he's gotta go 0-fer but tomorrow's pitcher needs to give up at least 8 runs but etc etc etc. Suffice to say I think it'd be really difficult.

I could see something like Wins and Losses being possible, maybe?

As to your second question, neither potential interpretation interests me at all.
torpidbeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 05:18 AM   #3
Mat
All Star Reserve

I dont think you are fully understanding what you are asking for.

If you want each player to have the exact same stats they got each game, then you are not actually playing anything. You are just recreating. This can already be done by going here, and reading the play by play. https://www.baseball-reference.com/

If you want each game to be random but their stats to eventually end up exactly like the real stats at the end of the yeah. That is impossible.See post above.

Yes, you will find yourself very much alone.
Mat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 04:58 PM   #4
Rosco Peabody
All Star Starter

I can see why your name is "Looney One". Requesting an Undo button and requesting to be able to play out seasons exactly as they were?
Rosco Peabody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 05:25 PM   #5
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

I remember when you asked for this before. I really wish you could explain how a feature like this would be used. You don't want a pitchers wins/losses and saves to finish exactly like real life do you? Is the idea to do a draft, so teams are different?
David Watts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 05:42 PM   #6
T-Bone
Minors (Double A)

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by LooneyOne View Post
Any way to have an option where players end up with their real life stats when simming historical seasons? .. i mean, we already have pretty accurate lineup transactions when playing historical, how about also having the players having their actual stats too? .. am i alone in this?
I don't see how this is possible. I mean even something as basic as a player having the same number of hits and at bats would be thrown off by different circumstances over a season.

I really think it is impossible.
T-Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 08:58 PM   #7
LooneyOne
Minors (Single A)

Ok, maybe i did not explain this right .. i would like all players ending up with real life stats when simming seasons .. i mean, this game already has player stats built into it .. and obviously recreating exact standings, playoff results, etc is impossible (which im not asking for) .. but players finishing with real stats in different situations would be awesome for me .. how would the cubs do with babe ruth hitting 60 home runs? .. or mickey mantle's triple crown season on the white sox (sorry, im a chicago guy) .. creating alternate universes with real life stats ..

Last edited by LooneyOne; 02-21-2018 at 08:59 PM.
Old 02-21-2018, 09:33 PM   #8
Reed
All Star Starter

I think youÂ’re the only one that wants this. First off, which stats would you want to emulate, fielding, won-lost, era, whip, KO, walks, stolen bases, etc, etc. I suppose theoretically as the season goes on the could adjust a players various rating if they are doing better or worse compared to their real life stats. But It would e a nightmare. IMO. If you want to see how the Cubs would do with a monster like Ruth, just put him on the team and he probable will have a monster season, even if itÂ’s not exactly 60 HR.
Reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 01:53 AM   #9
LooneyOne
Minors (Single A)

i dont see how this idea would be impossible to do .. the game already allows players to perform similar to their real life seasons .. im just asking if they can make it so they play exactly like they did each year and players finish the season with real life stats .. this is a text based game, there is no circumstances that would throw off the game or simulation since we can already edit stats and import them without the game missing a beat ..
Old 02-22-2018, 04:00 AM   #10
Mat
All Star Reserve

You make no sense whatsoever.

You want it so players 'play exactly like they did each year and...finish the season with real life stats.'

Fine, they could set it so Babe Ruth has 60HR in the season for the Cubs, but then RBI will be different because who is on base will be different. This will then affect every other players stats because the player following him is now effected by a different reality. Everything will be effected.

The only way to get real stats is to go here: https://www.baseball-reference.com/
I recommend it, it is a great website!

Last edited by Mat; 02-22-2018 at 04:01 AM.
Mat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 06:03 AM   #11
Reed
All Star Starter

Also, Ruth hit his 60 HR in the AL now you have him in the NL so the pitchers in the NL now have to give up 60 more HRs runs than they did in real life or the other hitters will have to hit 60 fewer HRs, and this is just one stat that we’re talking about.
This will also affect the players in the AL since pitcher will now give up 60 fewer HRs than their RL stats or hitters will have to hit 60 more HRs to make up the missing HRs to make the pitchers stats coincide with their real life stats.
Reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 08:14 AM   #12
T-Bone
Minors (Double A)

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reed View Post
Also, Ruth hit his 60 HR in the AL now you have him in the NL so the pitchers in the NL now have to give up 60 more HRs runs than they did in real life or the other hitters will have to hit 60 fewer HRs, and this is just one stat that we’re talking about.
This will also affect the players in the AL since pitcher will now give up 60 fewer HRs than their RL stats or hitters will have to hit 60 more HRs to make up the missing HRs to make the pitchers stats coincide with their real life stats.
This is why it is impossible
T-Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 10:21 AM   #13
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Right now, I think historical is somewhat broken, as OOTP18 produces way too many super seasons. That is supposed to be getting fixed for 19. If so, all you have to do is, set up a historical league. Make sure you use 1 year recalc. Do not select the option for the game to create lefty righty splits. Select option to have players miss seasons and retire according to history. Disable player development. Do this and you are basically getting exactly what you're asking for. He might not hit 60. He might hit 48. Heck he might hit 70.

Based on your Cubs example, say you put Ruth on the Cubs, but you also put all the best pitchers in the AL in the NL. Should Ruth still hit 60?
Old 02-22-2018, 10:34 AM   #14
Padreman
Hall Of Famer

Location: Tijuana, Baja California, Mexico (formally San Diego, CA.)
Please Looney One for the love of god please stop. You’re going down a path that we can not follow

Chargers= Despicable Traitors
Padreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 10:55 AM   #15
Caporegime
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Watts View Post
Right now, I think historical is somewhat broken, as OOTP18 produces way too many super seasons. That is supposed to be getting fixed for 19. If so, all you have to do is, set up a historical league. Make sure you use 1 year recalc. Do not select the option for the game to create lefty righty splits. Select option to have players miss seasons and retire according to history. Disable player development. Do this and you are basically getting exactly what you're asking for. He might not hit 60. He might hit 48. Heck he might hit 70.

Based on your Cubs example, say you put Ruth on the Cubs, but you also put all the best pitchers in the AL in the NL. Should Ruth still hit 60?
I can attest to those settings being excellent for fairly accurate historical results. Do those settings guarantee an exact statistical carbon copy of whatever season you're attempted to simulate? Of course not. OOTP isn't designed to be that deterministic, which is kinda the whole point of the game.

As someone who almost always invariable reverts to historical simming of some sort, I actually prefer those minor and/or random variations, all of which are fully tweakable in the game's settings.. For me, that's what makes performing historical simulations worthwhile. Yeah, The Babe may only spank 57 HRs in 1927 in any given simulation, and I don't think I've ever seen Maris hit 61 in '61, but there's always enough variation and randomness (again, the extent of which is adjustable in the settings) in other player's careers to more than offset those pre-set expectations and make the simulation a rewarding exercise.
Old 02-22-2018, 11:14 AM   #16
Caporegime
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padreman View Post
Please Looney One for the love of god please stop. You’re going down a path that we can not follow
We can, but someone will need to rent Doc Brown's Delorean first from these people (BTW, can you believe that's a real business?) to experience the kind of exact historical simulation the OP seems to want. Just don't doing anything to disrupt the space-time continuum, like take The Babe to a cat house where he'll get syphilis, or introduce Bob Gibson to anger management therapy, and the stats should be precisely what they were.

Last edited by Caporegime; 02-22-2018 at 11:17 AM.
Caporegime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 12:04 PM   #17
LooneyOne
Minors (Single A)

LOL, wow i didnt know i was the only one who tried to recreate historical seasons as they happened .. but i appreciate all the hilarious feedback though lol .. Thanks David Watts, ill try to sim with those settings and see what results ill get ..

p.s. OOTP team, please add this option one day (had to throw that out there lol) ..
Old 02-22-2018, 12:29 PM   #18
jpeters1734
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
LOL, wow i didnt know i was the only one who tried to recreate historical seasons as they happened .. but i appreciate all the hilarious feedback though lol .. Thanks David Watts, ill try to sim with those settings and see what results ill get ..

p.s. OOTP team, please add this option one day (had to throw that out there lol) ..
they won't add it because it's not possible. they don't have play by play logs in the database. meaning it's impossible to be on june 20th, in the bottom of the 6th and knowing that joe blow gets a double. it's 100% not how the game works

Founder and League Caretaker of the Professional Baseball Circuit, www.probaseballcircuit.com

An Un-Official Guide to Minor League Management in OOTP 21

Ratings Scale Conversion Cross-Reference Cheat Sheet
jpeters1734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 12:47 PM   #19
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

There are quite a few of us that like to recreate history. Heck, I've often figured Markus, Lukas, Matt and Co. will eventually ask me to leave these forums due to all the whining I do about the historical game. I just don't think what you're asking for is realistic. There are plenty of replay games on the market, Strat, Action Pc and Diamond Mind are the big three. These games are created to recreate individual baseball seasons as close to the real season as possible. None of those 3 do what you're asking for. Strat has been around since the day after fire was discovered and I bet the creators would react just like others on this forum to your suggestion. It's just not doable.

This whole thing takes me back to being 9 years old and playing Strat for the first time. I was getting ticked because Mickey Lolich was always losing and when you grew up in Michigan, you knew Mickey was the best pitcher ever born... Well, my older brother looked at me and said, here's your problem, every time you pitch Mickey, you have him facing the very best pitcher from the other team. .......This brings me around to, isn't about time OOTP has a schedule maker that doesn't created schedules with every team having the same day off?

The other thing that comes to mind is John Smoltz. I'm a Tiger fan. You know how many times I've heard John Smoltz's name tossed around in debates? Probably as many times as I've heard the name Doyle Alexander. I think we know John Smoltz was destined to be great...but would he be as great today if he didn't go to the Braves when he did? A different pitching coach here, a different manager there. etc etc.
Old 02-22-2018, 01:08 PM   #20
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Ok, maybe i did not explain this right .. i would like all players ending up with real life stats when simming seasons .. i mean, this game already has player stats built into it .. and obviously recreating exact standings, playoff results, etc is impossible (which im not asking for) .. but players finishing with real stats in different situations would be awesome for me .. how would the cubs do with babe ruth hitting 60 home runs? .. or mickey mantle's triple crown season on the white sox (sorry, im a chicago guy) .. creating alternate universes with real life stats ..
That could only work if game engine results were fudged ie run backwards to accommodate existing fixed stats.

Having said that, it's very likely impossible to do. Baseball is a zero sum game ie most batting results produced match the reverse pitching results allowed and special cases like fielding errors, WO PB CI and fielder interference account for other ways of getting on base and advancing a base/scoring a run not covered in the batting=pitching zero sum.

Random placement of pitchers and batters would require fudging matchups and game outcomes to preserve the zero sum. In Mantle's 1956 season he hit 5HR of Camilo Pascual. What happens if Pascual is on the White Sox or in the NL? Mantle has to hit 5 of 52 HR off other pitchers and Pascual has to allow 5HR to other batters and that variable cascades through every other pitcher/batter encounter in the alternate season. Seems an unlikely and complex task to accomplish.

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote