Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - Historical Simulations

OOTP 20 - Historical Simulations Discuss historical simulations and their results in this forum.

Old 08-11-2019, 01:49 PM   #1
carelli67
Bat Boy

Historical League Injuries

Hey!

I'm replaying the 2004 Red Sox season. Why are injured players on IL for 255 days? Also, why doesn't this number ever change? Garciaparra and Nixon have been injured for the entire season (I'm currently on game 56)… My setting is on real transactions and lineups.

Thank you!
carelli67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 02:14 PM   #2
pstrickert
Hall Of Famer

Players will be activated and deactivated per the dates in the transactions file. The 255 is the default, I believe, simply to ensure that the game engine does not activate players too soon. Not ideal, I suppose, but it shouldn't be taken literally.
pstrickert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 02:18 PM   #3
pstrickert
Hall Of Famer

Garciaparra and Nixon did not play that season until June 2004.
Old 08-26-2019, 08:09 AM   #4
adaher
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Hmmmm, this doesn't really work for me though. Past editions didn't include historical injuries. It's a nice feature to have if you want it, but you should be able to disable that part of it in favor of the OOTP19 ways of doing things.
adaher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 05:31 PM   #5
dsvitak
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by adaher View Post
Hmmmm, this doesn't really work for me though. Past editions didn't include historical injuries. It's a nice feature to have if you want it, but you should be able to disable that part of it in favor of the OOTP19 ways of doing things.
You want to do a replay of a season, you have to accept the injuries.

If you don't like this, then why not import Ted Williams and Tris Speaker? You want to cherry pick and players that didn't play, then do it right.
dsvitak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 12:52 PM   #6
BaseballMan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsvitak View Post

If you don't like this, then why not import Ted Williams and Tris Speaker? You want to cherry pick and players that didn't play, then do it right.

Some people would like real transactions with fictional injuries.
You can do both but you would have to edit players during the season.
Right now I have transactions on and injuries low. Yeah I know its suppose to be off. I just like having some random injuries. I check each team's roster at the all star game and edit players who IL isnt changing unless it's a 255IL. That way the other players are 255 or fictional injuries.
It hasn't been too bad. Babe Ruth hit 703 Homer's and Christy Mathewson managed to get 367 wins.
BaseballMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 01:56 PM   #7
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballMan View Post
Some people would like real transactions with fictional injuries.
You can do both but you would have to edit players during the season.
Right now I have transactions on and injuries low. Yeah I know its suppose to be off. I just like having some random injuries. I check each team's roster at the all star game and edit players who IL isnt changing unless it's a 255IL. That way the other players are 255 or fictional injuries.
It hasn't been too bad. Babe Ruth hit 703 Homer's and Christy Mathewson managed to get 367 wins.
My question, with injuries on, what do you do when teams don't have enough players to field a team? Or enough players, say catchers to deal with an injury?
David Watts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 04:53 PM   #8
BaseballMan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Watts View Post
My question, with injuries on, what do you do when teams don't have enough players to field a team? Or enough players, say catchers to deal with an injury?
I havent had any issue with not having enough players. Thats probably because i keep the injuries low. To be honest i dont look at the positions. I just think of it as these are the players a real manager had to use and let the computer decide.
If i had more time i might look at it but for the most part i try to let the computer run things. I would rather leave the computer with more options than forcing it to use a historical lineup.
Now if i notice Tony Gwynn playing catcher for 150 games i would make an adjustment but most players are usually moved to a related position. So if Craig Biggio goes from catcher to firstbase i'm not gonna be bothered too much by it.
Really it just depends on how much time you have, how much fun it is, and how much is acceptable to you. If you do not want players playing any position they didnt in real life play then you will probably need to check each roster after ever game. I dont have the time for that.
Even still i have had a lot of enjoyment with my current league.
Old 08-29-2019, 11:07 AM   #9
adaher
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsvitak View Post

The idea for me was to simulate a historical league where people didn't get injured or miss seasons according to their history. Which was possible up until OOTP20. This new transaction feature should be optional. Or at least I should be able to remove people from the DL in commissioner mode, but I can't do that either.
Old 08-29-2019, 11:18 AM   #10
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

[QUOTE=adaher;4531439]The idea for me was to simulate a historical league where people didn't get injured or miss seasons according to their history. Which was possible up until OOTP20. This new transaction feature should be optional. Or at least I should be able to remove people from the DL in commissioner mode, but I can't do that either.[/QUOTE

Are you 100% locked into using real transactions or would you be okay with the OOTP AI handling transactions?
David Watts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 05:51 PM   #11
adaher
Minors (Rookie Ball)

No, I want real transaction, trades, releases, that sort of thing. In cases where a player was released and I didn't want them to be I could just resign them. What I'm doing is simulating a league where no one was struck down early due to injury or death so all players have full careers.

Moving people on and off injured reserve is a new feature that isn't really what I'm looking for here.
Old 09-02-2019, 05:08 PM   #12
thehef
Hall Of Famer

So am I understanding from this thread that if you want to have historical transactions in effect, you are forced to accept all of the historical DL moves, too? If so, that's not good. It should be an option, not a new "feature" forced upon the historical gamer.
thehef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 11:09 PM   #13
pstrickert
Hall Of Famer

I don't know what will happen in the future. But for now, maybe think of historical transactions as an incomplete feature which has now been made more complete.
Old 09-03-2019, 05:44 AM   #14
thehef
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pstrickert View Post
I don't know what will happen in the future. But for now, maybe think of historical transactions as an incomplete feature which has now been made more complete.
Well, with the "Miss Seasons Accdg to History" and "Retire Accdg to History" features made essentially useless by the historical transactions file a few versions ago, and now the inability to play with historical transactions without historical injuries, it seems that the ability to play the game "the way the user wants" (and the way some users like myself play nearly-exclusively) is being mothballed. I mean, I totally get the desire to bring in actual injuries & DL time, and can appreciate the work involved to do so. But I don't get why it's inclusion (a positive development) has to be accompanied by the complete elimination of a way to play the game (a definite negative).
Old 09-09-2019, 02:27 PM   #15
scurvycure
Minors (Single A)

I have recently begun a modified replay of the 1970 season, playing in commissioner mode. I do not have real transactions turned on but have been manually entering trades; releases, free agent signings as they occurred in real life. I have not found this to be unduly burdensome. The number of transactions required during that era averages maybe one every other day. It doesn’t include minor league call-ups but I am ok with either me or the AI handling that according to each team’s needs, injuries, etc.
Mike
scurvycure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 04:33 PM   #16
thehef
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scurvycure View Post
I have recently begun a modified replay of the 1970 season, playing in commissioner mode. I do not have real transactions turned on but have been manually entering trades; releases, free agent signings as they occurred in real life. I have not found this to be unduly burdensome. The number of transactions required during that era averages maybe one every other day. It doesn’t include minor league call-ups but I am ok with either me or the AI handling that according to each team’s needs, injuries, etc.
Mike
I remember doing that many version ago, before historical transactions were introduced. It was a single-digit version, like may OOTP 6 or something... I initially handled txns on the dates they occurred, but that was ridiculously time- and effort-intensive. So I then switched to generally just picking a couple days each month to handle all transactions (except for a few major ones, which I'd do on the actual date). Like on the 8th of July I would manually make all txns that occurred from 7/1 thru 7/15, and maybe on the 23rd I'd make all txns that happened from 7/16 thru 7/31.

Yes, it was unduly burdensome, without question.
Old 09-09-2019, 04:50 PM   #17
Spritze
OOTP Historical Czar

can't you just use the ootp19 transaction.odb since it doesn't include the new injury feature?
Old 09-09-2019, 04:59 PM   #18
scurvycure
Minors (Single A)

Well I guess it depends on your perspective ... I’m an oldster, grew up playing cards and dice and keeping score by hand so this doesn’t seem like a big deal to me. The beauty of OOTP, I am discovering, is that it gives you choices so you can set up the game to work however you want it to, with as much or as little input as suits you.
scurvycure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 11:11 AM   #19
BaseballMan
Hall Of Famer

I really hope they will give you the option of using historical injuries with historical transactions or not.
I cant speak for everyone but i want Babe Ruth traded to the Yankees but i dont want to know before the season that he will be out because of injury for 75 games.
I'm not sure how hard it would be to change it back to like it was before but it would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-11-2019, 06:08 AM   #20
thehef
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballMan View Post
I really hope they will give you the option of using historical injuries with historical transactions or not.
I cant speak for everyone but i want Babe Ruth traded to the Yankees but i dont want to know before the season that he will be out because of injury for 75 games.
I'm not sure how hard it would be to change it back to like it was before but it would be greatly appreciated.
Right. What would be nice to see is that if you enable historical transactions but...

... de-select Retire According to History, OOTP would then ignore - for example - the "transaction" in the file that says that Sandy Koufax retires after the '66 season. Instead the game engine would take over and Koufax may stay with the Dodgers... And thus, RAH = Off would work again.

... de-select Miss Seasons According to History, OOTP would then ignore the "transaction" in the file that has Ted Williams and other guys miss seasons due to WWII, or has a player miss an entire season in OOTP because he sandwiched two major-league seasons with a season spent exclusively in the minors... IOW, if you don't choose to have players miss seasons according to history, then players would not miss seasons according to history.

... don't want to use historical injuries, a checkbox for that option would exist, and if the option were de-selected, the injury transactions in the file would be ignored.

Seems that in this area, whereas the historical txns file has gotten more-comprehensive, it has also had the effect of reduced flexibility on how the historical game can be played. The good news is that the solution is obvious, not particularly complex, and would please everybody .