Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > OOTP Mods > OOTP Mods - Names and Nations

Old 05-31-2019, 09:25 AM   #1
Simmo13
All Star Reserve

Question about name sets

I've a long-running fictional league which is now in the early 1930's. I've used Questdog's brilliant name set imports until now but it seems as if they won't work with the new OOTP20 set-up. How do I make sure that the next annual draft uses era-appropriate names, I can't find anything in the manual. Apologies if this has already been answered elsewhere on the forum. Thanks for any info.
Simmo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 09:32 AM   #2
joefromchicago
Hall Of Famer

You'll need to provide a lot more information in order for us to diagnose the problem properly. For instance, what namesets are you trying to use? Questdog has made a bunch, and many of them have already been incorporated into the game's standard names files. How are you trying to incorporate them into the game? Are you pasting them over an existing nameset or are you trying to create a new one? What sort of problem are you encountering? Are the names not showing up at all? Are you getting the wrong mix of ethnicities?
joefromchicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 11:48 AM   #3
Simmo13
All Star Reserve

Thanks for the reply Joe, didn't explain very clearly.....
In previous versions of OOTP I've replaced the game's name/first name folders with Questdog's so as to generate a set of names for each annual draft that were era-appropriate. With OOTP20 I've not attempted this, having read that Questdog's names were now included in the game. I suppose my question is..how do I ensure that, when the players are generated for the annual draft in May, the players' names are appropriate for the '20's-30's era in which my league is set? I can't find any drop-down menu in Game Set-up which would specify particular historical periods.
Old 05-31-2019, 01:00 PM   #4
joefromchicago
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmo13 View Post
Thanks for the reply Joe, didn't explain very clearly.....
In previous versions of OOTP I've replaced the game's name/first name folders with Questdog's so as to generate a set of names for each annual draft that were era-appropriate. With OOTP20 I've not attempted this, having read that Questdog's names were now included in the game. I suppose my question is..how do I ensure that, when the players are generated for the annual draft in May, the players' names are appropriate for the '20's-30's era in which my league is set? I can't find any drop-down menu in Game Set-up which would specify particular historical periods.
OK, that gives me something I can work with

Yes, Questdog's "standard" namesets were incorporated into the game's names files, but his historical namesets were not. There are two ways to deal with that:
  1. Copy-and-paste the nameset that you want (let's say it's one that is appropriate for the 1920s-'30s) over the corresponding namesets in the names files. So you'd replace the "0" modern US names with the historical names in both the names.txt and first_names.txt files; or
  2. You can add the historical namesets to the names files and add them to the world_default.xml file. For more info on how to do that, check out this thread.
The first option is less work, but the second option has the advantage that you can then use the same names files and world_default.xml file as your league progresses - in other words, you won't need to replace the "old" historical names with "new" ones as the years go by.

Note that any time you make a change in the names files, you need to reload them into your existing OOTP game. Also, make sure to create back-ups of your modified files, as OOTP will overwrite them when it updates.
joefromchicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 03:09 PM   #5
Simmo13
All Star Reserve

Ah, many thanks for that information, it's made things clearer. I'll try one of those options.