Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - Historical Simulations

OOTP 19 - Historical Simulations Discuss historical simulations and their results in this forum.

Old 07-07-2018, 08:53 PM   #21
BirdWatcher
Hall Of Famer

Phillies fans at Veterans Stadium saw a great performance by righty Larry Christensen (2-1, 2.63) which led his team to a must-have win to stave off elimination in their best-of-7 series against the 1999 Atlanta Braves. This one was probably the best pitching duel of the series as the game was tied 1-1 going into the bottom of the 7th inning. In the bottom of that inning, the Phillies got to Atlanta starter Kevin Millwood (2-1, 3.75) for two runs scored on a two-out, two-run HR off the bat of Bake McBride (.273, 1, 5). The Phillies would add 2 more runs in the bottom of the 8th off reliever Kevin McGlinchy and although the Braves got one back in the 9th, the Phillies held on for the 5-2 win and take the series to a sixth game, but with no room for error.

After fairly easily dispatching the overall #2 seed 1906 Cubs in the first round and winning the first two games in round 2, the 1904 New York Giants now find themselves on the brink of elimination, having been defeated three straight games by the 1919 Reds. The Reds won game 5 on a walk-off 10th inning single by Morrie Rath (.244, 1, 9) to give them a 5-4 victory.

In the remaining A.L. series, the 1915 Boston Red Sox got another great pitching performance from young lefty Babe Ruth and won Game 5 3-2 by scoring two runs in the bottom of the 11th inning after the 1970 Orioles had broken a 1-1 tie with a run of their own in the top of the frame. The series now moves back to Baltimore with the Orioles still needing one more win to advance to the next round.

Looks like I'll be headed off to the Polo Grounds next to see if the Giants can get back into this series with Red Ames (2-1, 2.05) on the mound for them and the thus-far struggling Hod Eller (0-1, 6.00) pitching for the Reds.

Will round 2 be all over after today or will we see one or more Game 7's tomorrow? Stay tuned....
Attached Images
Image Image 
BirdWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 09:19 PM   #22
BirdWatcher
Hall Of Famer

Not looking very good for those Giants. And the Reds seem pretty confident of victory, given that nearly half the guys on the field there are scrubs mostly brought in during blow-outs.
Attached Images
Old 07-07-2018, 09:34 PM   #23
BirdWatcher
Hall Of Famer

And Round 2 of Group 1 comes to an end. No Game 7's required.

The Giants went down meekly in the bottom of the 9th to lose 15-6 against the Reds. It was just a sloppy game for the Giants, who committed 6 errors, allowed one run on a wild pitch, and gave up 13 hits to the Reds, including 3 doubles, 1 triple, and 1 homerun. (Series MVP: Heinie Groh.)

So the Reds advance to face the 1999 Atlanta Braves, who got a tremendous performance from Greg Maddux (3-0, 0.79) in a 1-0 victory over Steve Carlton (1-2, 3.10) and the Phillies. (Series MVP: Andruw Jones.)

Joining the 1948 Indians in the next round in the A.L. will be the 1970 Baltimore Orioles. Jim Palmer (2-1, 2.89) pitched a CG gem (1 R, 7 H, 6 K, 2 BB) and lead-off hitter Paul Blair (.340, 1, 6) went 3 for 5 with 1 run scored, 1 RBI, and 1 double in the game and was named series MVP.

So we are down to 4. Who will move on to the Group 1 finals for the chance to be crowned Group Champs and get a berth in the Tournament to End All Tournaments?
As always, stay tuned....
Attached Images
Image Image 
Old 07-07-2018, 11:56 PM   #24
BirdWatcher
Hall Of Famer

Is there a lesson to be learned in any of this yet? If there is, it might be this: that the long standing adage in baseball that good pitching beats good hitting holds true.
All four remaining teams have strong, deep starting rotations. In the case of the 1970 Orioles the regular season found them with three 20-game winners in Jim Palmer, Mike Cuellar, and Dave McNally. The 1999 Atlanta Braves starting rotation simply features three future Hall-of-Famers in Greg Maddux, Tom Glavine, and John Smoltz, along with a young Kevin Millwood in what would prove to be the best season of his career. The 1948 Indians had future Hall-of-Famers Bob Feller and Bob Lemon along with Gene Bearden in the one excellent season he had in his relatively short and pedestrian career. And the 1919 Reds, while not quite having the top of the rotation fire-power of the other three, have a deep rotation enough with Hod Eller, Dutch Ruether, Jimmy Ring, and Dolf Luque that they have one of their better regular season starters, veteran Slim Sallee, coming out of the pen to great effect.

Now that these four teams remain it will be interesting to see if pitching dominates round three or if it will be the teams who manage just enough offense to set themselves apart who advance.

Any predictions?
Attached Images
Old 07-08-2018, 01:54 PM   #25
BirdWatcher
Hall Of Famer

Bob Lemon (3-1, 1.50) out-pitched Dave McNally (2-2, 2.73) last night as the 1948 Cleveland won Game 1 of the Group 1 semi-finals series against the 1970 Baltimore Orioles, 4-3. Lemon worked 7 innings, allowing 3 runs (though none earned) on 6 hits. Lou Boudreau (.529, 4, 11) remains the hottest hitter in the tournament and he went 3 for 5 in this one. The game ended with the Orioles rallying, Davey Johnson having led-off the bottom of the 9th with a single, and after Merv Rettenmund and Boog Powell both struck out, Frank Robinson singled up the middle but Larry Doby got to the ball quickly and came up firing and Johnson was cut down trying to advance to third. Satchel Paige got his first save of the tourney.

In the N.L. semi-final match-up, the 1999 Atlanta Braves scored two runs in the top of the 9th to break a 3-3 tie against the 1919 Cincinnati Reds and held on to take Game 1 by a score of 5-3. Javy Lopez (.192, 1, 4) led off the 9th with a single, Otis Nixon replaced him as a pinch-runner, stole second, then scored on a Randall Simon (.275, 0, 4) double. The second run of the inning would score on an error by Cincy shortstop Larry Kopf. Reliever Kevin McGlinchy had an easy 1-2-3 bottom of the 9th to gain his second save of the tournament.
Attached Images
Image Image 
Old 07-08-2018, 02:28 PM   #26
BirdWatcher
Hall Of Famer

At Crosley Field today, the 1919 Reds drew even in their best-of-seven series against the 1999 Braves with a 4-1 victory. Lefty knuckle-baller Dutch Ruether had Braves hitters off balance all day, as he allowed just 3 hits in the complete game victory. (Two of the Braves hits came off the bat of Ryan Klesko (.203, 1, 5), including a lead-off single in the top of the 9th.) There was some drama at the end of the game. In spite of Javy Lopez hitting into a double play after Klesko's lead-off single, the Braves still attempted to rally with Jose Hernandez drawing a walk and Randall Simon not trying too hard to get out of the way of an errant Ruether pitch and taking his base on a hit-by-pitch. But Reuther then struck out Bret Boone with a wicked knuckler to close out the game.

Meanwhile, the 1970 Orioles had a great game at the plate against veteran Indians fireballer, Bob Feller (2-1, 2.25), getting to him for 5 runs on 8 hits in just 5 innings pitched. The Orioles offense was paced by Elrod Hendricks (.281, 2, 9), who went 4 for 4 in the game, driving in 4 runs on a 3rd inning 2-out grand slam. Mike Cuellar (3-0, 1.80) scattered 10 hits over 9 inning pitched for the win.
Attached Images
Image Image 
Old 07-18-2018, 12:23 AM   #27
BirdWatcher
Hall Of Famer

As the Group 1 tournament semi-finals shift venues, the 1948 Indians take the lead in their series against the 1970 Orioles behind the great pitching of young lefty Gene Bearden (1-0, 1.80). Bearden got a complete game shutout, holding the Orioles to 5 hits (all singles) while striking out 2 and walking 4 in a 3-0 victory. Dale Mitchell (.415, 1, 7) and Joe Gordon (.296, 3, 6) each went 3 for 4 in the victory for Cleveland.

In Game 3 of the N.L. semi-final series, Atlanta scores a big win at home, 12-5 behind the potent bats of the Jones boys. Chipper Jones (.315, 4, 5), who was awarded Player-of-the-Game honors, went 3 for 3 with 4 runs scored, 1 RBI, 1 walk, and hit his 4th homer of the tournament. Andruw Jones (.338, 5, 12), meanwhile, was 4 for 6 with 1 runs scored and 3 RBI, hitting his 5th bomb of the tourney as well as his 3rd double. Atlanta takes a 2-1 lead in the best-of-seven series.
Attached Images
Old 07-18-2018, 12:52 AM   #28
BirdWatcher
Hall Of Famer

The 1999 Atlanta Braves are just one win away from heading to the Group 1 Finals after getting a wonderful start from their ace, Greg Maddux (4-0, 0.66), in a 2-0 win over the 1919 Cincinnati Reds. The Braves broke a 0-0 tie in the bottom of the 7th by stringing together a pair of singles and three walks to score what would end up being the only two runs of the game. Maddux pitched 7 innings, allowing 8 hits while striking out 4 and walking none. John Rocker and Kevin McGlinchy then combined for the next two innings to preserve the win. Reds firstbaseman Jake Daubert (.389, 0, 10) was 3 for 4 at the plate in the losing effort.

The fans at Cleveland Stadium saw a masterful game pitched by visiting young star Jim Palmer (3-1, 2.19) as their Indians club dropped a 3-0 decision and the Orioles evened the series at 2-2. Palmer went the distance for the shutout win, allowing just 2 hits, while striking out 6 and walking 2. There was some late drama, though, as the young right-hander walked a pair of Indians batters in the bottom of the 9th and saw another reach on a rare error by Gold Glove shortstop Mark Belanger but with 2 outs and the bases loaded Palmer was able to strike out veteran Joe Gordon to end the attempted rally. The big hit for the Orioles was a 5th inning 2-run HR off the bat of centerfielder Paul Blair (.282, 2, 8.)
Attached Images
Old 07-19-2018, 01:21 AM   #29
BirdWatcher
Hall Of Famer

Tonight at Turner Field, the 1999 Atlanta Braves earned a narrow 2-1 victory over the 1919 Cincinnati Reds to advance to the final round of Group 1 of the Great Teams Tournament. John Smoltz (2-0, 1.83) picked up the win with 7 innings pitched. He allowed just 1 run on 5 hits while striking out 5 and walking 1. The Braves scored the go-ahead run in the bottom of the 7th inning when pinch-hitter Brian Hunter led off with a double into the rightfield corner and Andruw Jones (.315, 5, 13) singled to left and leftfielder Pat Duncan misplayed the ball for an error, allowing Jones to take second and Hunter to score. Chipper Jones (.300, 4, 6), the series MVP, drove in the first Braves run with a single in the bottom of the third to tie the game at 1-1.

The Braves await the victor of the 1970 Baltimore Orioles- 1948 Cleveland Indians series. The Indians claimed a 10-inning 5-4 victory at home to get to within one win of joining the Braves in the finals. It took a walk-off solo HR off the bat of Player-of-the-Game Allie Clark (.305, 3, 8) for the Indians to prevail. Clark was 4 for 5 in the game with 2 runs scored and 3 RBI. Neither of the talented starting pitchers in the game- Dave McNally (2-2, 3.09) for the O's and Bob Lemon (3-1, 2.02) lasted beyond the sixth inning and in the battle of the bullpens, Cleveland came out, barely, on top.
Attached Images
Image Image 
Old 07-19-2018, 01:30 AM   #30
crawdad5000
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdWatcher View Post
Unfortunately, I didn't think to get a screenshot of the brackets when this was still in Exhibition mode but here is a list of the teams in Group 1.
Based upon the FiveThirtyEight list the two top seeds in the entire tournament are in this Group: #1 1939 New York Yankees and #2 1906 Chicago Cubs.
The lowest seed in this first Group is the 1977 Philadelphia Phillies, who are ranked #120.
So, in some ways, you might call this the Group of Death. Except. Well, you'll see.
(I should note that the 2016 and 2017 teams are considered unseeded. As these were not on the source list I didn't feel like arbitrarily fitting them into the seeding.)
In playoff mode just click on the playoff tree tab to bring up the bracket.

With that being said I just started to try to figure out tournaments. I used the same website you did (538) but my tournament is the top team for each franchise with a bye to the top two seeds. I used the 2017 Astros instead of the 1998 version also. It seems to be very limited as far as stats, and not being able to change uniforms, stadiums, or create your own save. So I did what you did and loaded the .lg file that was created so I can access more features. To bad you can't go back to tournament mode once you do that. The tournament mode doesn't seem to be complete yet to me. I think there should be a lot more features considering how advanced the rest of the game is. Here is my bracket:

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...1&d=1531974532

Attached Images
Image Image 
crawdad5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 11:01 AM   #31
BirdWatcher
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawdad5000 View Post
In playoff mode just click on the playoff tree tab to bring up the bracket.

With that being said I just started to try to figure out tournaments. I used the same website you did (538) but my tournament is the top team for each franchise with a bye to the top two seeds. I used the 2017 Astros instead of the 1998 version also. It seems to be very limited as far as stats, and not being able to change uniforms, stadiums, or create your own save. So I did what you did and loaded the .lg file that was created so I can access more features. To bad you can't go back to tournament mode once you do that. The tournament mode doesn't seem to be complete yet to me. I think there should be a lot more features considering how advanced the rest of the game is. Here is my bracket:

Thanks for this! I have to admit that being still fairly new to OOTP and not terribly savvy about making my way around the program, I made this work well enough but not exactly sure how I did it. And I still get an error message each time I try to load this saved game but it doesn't stop me from moving forward. Hopefully before I start Group 2 I'll have a better idea of what I am doing. What you shared here helps.
Old 07-27-2018, 10:07 AM   #32
Beatles Eternally
Minors (Double A)

Baseball is the ONLY sport I love and follow both as a fan and as a student of the game's amazing history. Your tournament posts have become a story of baseball all its own. I cannot think of any other team sport in which the old adage "expect the unexpected" should be carved in granite.

I'm doing a tournament of a MUCH smaller scale than yours just to get a good grip on how the tournament works. I am playing through every game choosing the lower seed to manage unless it's the Pittsburgh Pirates then I manage them. And there have been upsets, especially with my 1971 Pirates. They were swept in the first round best of three series by the 1944 St. Louis Browns! On paper the Pirates look to be a much more powerful team. But as we know in this wonderful sport virtually anything can happen. So I decided that for Browns games I would allow the AI to manage both teams. Round two is a best of five series and the Browns are tearing the opposition apart including the mighty 1936 Yankees.

Thank you for your compelling reports on your tournament BirdWatcher!!
Beatles Eternally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 07:13 PM   #33
BirdWatcher
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatles Eternally View Post
Baseball is the ONLY sport I love and follow both as a fan and as a student of the game's amazing history. Your tournament posts have become a story of baseball all its own. I cannot think of any other team sport in which the old adage "expect the unexpected" should be carved in granite.

I'm doing a tournament of a MUCH smaller scale than yours just to get a good grip on how the tournament works. I am playing through every game choosing the lower seed to manage unless it's the Pittsburgh Pirates then I manage them. And there have been upsets, especially with my 1971 Pirates. They were swept in the first round best of three series by the 1944 St. Louis Browns! On paper the Pirates look to be a much more powerful team. But as we know in this wonderful sport virtually anything can happen. So I decided that for Browns games I would allow the AI to manage both teams. Round two is a best of five series and the Browns are tearing the opposition apart including the mighty 1936 Yankees.

Thank you for your compelling reports on your tournament BirdWatcher!!
Thanks for your very kind words! I feel bad that I have slowed down a bit on this one as I find myself toggling back and forth between my three primary projects and lately I've been pretty immersed in my fictional world.
But I would imagine that I will likely finish the Group 1 tournament this weekend and report on those results and then get started on Group 2.
Glad to know that someone is enjoying following along.
Old 08-01-2018, 09:11 PM   #34
BirdWatcher
Hall Of Famer

And then there were two!
Playing in front of the home-town crowd today, the 1970 Baltimore Orioles suffered a disappointing loss, falling to the 1948 Cleveland Indians 4-1. It is the end of the line for Baltimore and it means the Indians will now face the 1999 Atlanta Braves in a best-of-seven series to crown the Champions of Group 1 of the Great Teams Tournament.

The Indians were led by the man who is quite arguably the MVP of the entire tournament at this stage- Lou Boudreau (.485, 6, 13). Boudreau not only went 3 for 5 with 2 solo homeruns, but he also made a tremendous defensive play on a looping fly ball into shallow left to rob Davey Johnson of a possible hit in the 3rd inning. (Admittedly, Boudreau did commit one error in the game also.)
The Orioles had minor threats several times in the game and finally scored their lone run in the bottom of the 8th inning thanks to a lead-off pinch-hit homerun off the bat of Don Buford. They would eventually load the bases in that inning, but failed to score any more runs and went weakly in the 9th.
Attached Images
Image Image Image