Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - Historical Simulations

OOTP 19 - Historical Simulations Discuss historical simulations and their results in this forum.

Old 04-24-2018, 04:12 PM   #1
Fashoda
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Errors in Historical League

Evening,

I'm fairly new to playing historically and decided to start a game in 1901. I changed none of the default league settings but was wondering if someone with a bit more knowledge of the historical game would be able to tell me if the errors look accurate. They seem sky high to me. Over a 100 errors in the season for Honus Wagner who is rated as one of the best shortstops in the league.
Attached Images
Fashoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 05:32 PM   #2
Reed
All Star Starter

IRL Wagner hag 36 errors in 61 games at SS. His fielding % at SS was just under .92 so you can compare that to your results. 1901 was a terrible year for errors but maybe not considering their equipment and the field conditions, etc.. You will notice an improvement in 1902 in fielding (and offense will go down also).
Reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 05:35 PM   #3
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

The fielding pct for the league back then was .943. In 2017, it was .984. That may not sound like a lot of difference, but it means the average fielder flubbed 5.7% of his Total Chances, whereas now that rate is 1.6%. It's actually a huge difference when you look at it that way. What is your league-wide fielding pct? You can find it under "Historical Simulation Accuracy" which won't be available until you've played your postseason. The game engine is very good at getting league-wide fielding percentage reasonably accurate, but if the number's not close to .943 then let us know. If it is reasonably close, you'll just have to take it as it comes and realize you're playing in an era that was very volatile in terms of fielding.
actionjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 05:35 PM   #4
mitchkenn
Hall Of Famer

to jump on Reed's & actionjackson's comments - they typed faster than me!

1901 - wagner fielded .918 at short in 61 gms (31 errors in 437 chances)
fielded .976 in OF (54 gms - 2 errors in 83 chances for .976)
at 3b .879 fielding (24 gms 97 chances 10 errors)
2b - 1 gm - 8 chances 0 errors for 1.00 fielding)

even the best fielders in that era had lots of errors. Gloves were smaller, fields less than idea, etc. so in real ife - Wagner had 48 errors in 1901 for all positions. his life time fields was .940 - compare that with Brandon Crawford at SS today, and his lifetime fielding is .976

so expect lots more errors in that era. Numbers may be a bit high for Wagner, but not incredibly high me thinks.
Baseball reference ... where i got these numbers ... might need to compare other SS of the Wagner era and see how they compared.
"I saw a young man leaning on his wooden crutch - He called out to me, 'Don't ask for so much' And a young woman leaning in her darkened door She cried out to me, 'Why not ask for more?' " - Leonard Cohen
"Hello darkness, my old Friend ...." - Paul Simon
Before Mays, before DiMaggio, there was Oscar Charleston.
"All the lies about Babe Ruth are true." - Waite Hoyt

Avatar is the late great Townes Van Zandt. rip.

Last edited by mitchkenn; 04-24-2018 at 05:37 PM.
mitchkenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 05:40 PM   #5
Fashoda
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Thanks for that all. Very helpful.

One last question, whilst I'm here. I cleared league history to start from scratch in 1901, but now the post season is here , players are appearing with career stats from before 1901. Any way to stop these guys from showing up?
Old 04-24-2018, 06:10 PM   #6
Reed
All Star Starter

This sounds like a question for David W..
Basically it is a glitch in the game that we have to live with or work around.
If you start your league in 1901(this is true for any year you start) due to injury or war or whatever will show up as free agents at the end of the season prior to their return season. (If their return season IRL was 1904, they will show up at the end of season in 1903 as a free agent-not in the rookie draft). The problem is when they show up, their IRL stats will also appear as their stats for your league. You can just accept it or delete the player (or play using neutralized stats but there are some things you need to b aware of if you play with neutralized stats). What I do, if they had an extensive history prior to 1901, I delete them. Otherwise I just leave them in. If you delete them, you will need to do so for each following year that they played IRL.
David W is the expert on this.
Old 04-24-2018, 06:43 PM   #7
OmahaReynolds
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fashoda View Post
Thanks for that all. Very helpful.

One last question, whilst I'm here. I cleared league history to start from scratch in 1901, but now the post season is here , players are appearing with career stats from before 1901. Any way to stop these guys from showing up?
What I do to get around this is start the historic league in 1871, quick sim to 1901, erase the history and hold an inaugural draft. This way only actual brand-new players can show up in amateur drafts.
OmahaReynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 11:08 PM   #8
scott1964
Hall Of Famer

I started in 1871 and things look fairly in line so far.

PETA.....People Eating Tasty Animals.

scott1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 07:16 AM   #9
Reed
All Star Starter

Omaha
Wonderful suggestion! I will have to try that!
Old 04-25-2018, 02:49 PM   #10
Fashoda
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Thanks all for your help and suggestions. I think I'll go the delete route for now (I'm assuming after a few years the problem should sort itself out). In future I'll use Omaha's suggestion though.
Old 05-05-2018, 08:59 PM   #11
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Fashoda may be onto something when it comes to Honus Wagner in 1901. I'm currently messing around with that season. Wagner has started 34 games at SS and has 45 errors. The next closest are 28, 26 and 23.
David Watts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 12:15 AM   #12
Spritze
OOTP Historical Czar

Honus did not become a SS full time until 1903

1901 was his first year playing SS at all.

1897-1902 he was a utility player. OF mostly.

Memories can be odd things.
Old 05-06-2018, 07:48 AM   #13
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spritze View Post
Honus did not become a SS full time until 1903

1901 was his first year playing SS at all.

1897-1902 he was a utility player. OF mostly.

Memories can be odd things.
1901 he played a total of 61 games at SS and made 31 errors. Definitely not stellar. He has now made 55 errors in 45 1901 OOTP games.

I don't choose to play at SS, OOTP does. Guessing this might be different if this wasn't a career sim with fielding position based on career. Single year replay with 1 year recalc may have Wagner spending more time in the outfield.

Last edited by David Watts; 05-06-2018 at 08:26 AM.
Old 05-06-2018, 08:52 AM   #14
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Honus would finish the season with 122 errors in 134 games at SS. He played 1 game in centerfield and one in RF, neither of which he started.

The next closest was Stub Smith 115. The rest of the leaderboard went like this, 97,88,87,73,73 with all the participants being left side of the infield guys. Which is good,

So, I just looked at the real 1901 fielding and the team high for errors at SS was 119 by Baltimore. So, even though, I wouldn't mind seeing Wagner get more starts in the OF, I think OOTP is fine.