Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > iOOTP Baseball > iOOTP - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

iOOTP - General Discussions Talk about iOOTP Baseball, the baseball management simulation for iPhone/iPod/iPad

Old 04-19-2013, 11:06 PM   #1
tc66tc
Minors (Single A)

Computer teams not spending money!

I started a 1977 replay and I am currently in 1986. The computer teams are not using there money.

(budget / payroll)
Atlanta (24 / 9.3)
Baltimore (23 / 11.4)
Boston (23 / 14.7)
Chicago a ( 19 / 9.5)
Los Angeles ( 32.5 / 16.1)
Yankees ( 55 / 12.9)

these are just a few, most teams are not even running at 50% payroll to budget. This really needs to be looked at.
tc66tc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 05:17 PM   #2
McGuiser
Major Leagues

Even the Yankees?

Are they not spending in iOOTP 13?

Fortunately for me the Yankees spend big, taking Ryan Howard off my hands. Their payroll is now $202 million, budget $210 million.

My experience with 11 and 12 was encountering teams that could not trade for most salaried players because they had no salary cap (possibly exceeding budget because of arbitration awards?).

So the bright side for you might be that you can more easily trade players with big contracts. Aside from the refusal to trade for "overpriced" old players, a lot of loose cash in other teams' pants should make your trading easier.
McGuiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:18 AM   #3
Disco Dog 13
Minors (Triple A)

Computer teams not spending money!

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGuiser View Post
Are they not spending in iOOTP 13?

Fortunately for me the Yankees spend big, taking Ryan Howard off my hands. Their payroll is now $202 million, budget $210 million.

My experience with 11 and 12 was encountering teams that could not trade for most salaried players because they had no salary cap (possibly exceeding budget because of arbitration awards?).

So the bright side for you might be that you can more easily trade players with big contracts. Aside from the refusal to trade for "overpriced" old players, a lot of loose cash in other teams' pants should make your trading easier.
Did they approach you for Howard ?
Disco Dog 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 02:31 PM   #4
McGuiser
Major Leagues

Yankees taking Ryan Howard

No, I approached the Yankees. For Ryan Howard, a declining 33-year-old with a five year contract at $23,600,000, I got two other overpaid older guys, but they cost me lots less and have shorter contracts.

I received Ichiru Suzuki (39), two years at $6,500,000, and Juan Rivera (34), one year at $1,200,000.

An additional thought, not that Ryan Howard was considered by other teams an untradeable overpaid veteran:

My memory may fail me here, but I believe that in iOOTP11 or 12 I was occasionally able to trade an otherwise untradeable overpaid veteran by offering him for someone else’s overpaid veteran, but if I recall correctly I had to add my own old guy during negotiations, not at the start, and that the other team’s overpaid veteran needed to be in the discussion before my old guy.

I might be wrong about that. Anyone else experience this?
Old 04-21-2013, 07:02 PM   #5
theAdam
Bat Boy

In the previous iOOTP I would on rare occasion receive a trade proposal for a player who was usually refused in all trade proposals as an "overpaid veteran". In those situations there was a specific player that the other team wanted me to take and the ONLY trades that were acceptable were ones that included a specific player on the other team who was also an "overpaid veteran". This was pretty rare, I think it happened only two or three times over dozens of seasons.
theAdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 11:30 PM   #6
McGuiser
Major Leagues

This suggests that we might be able to be rid of one old guy for a less detrimental old (better than our current old guy because of position or contract terms) by cruising for overpaid veterans on the trading block.

I have never wanted a player I have seen on the block, and do not recall any of my own being asked after, even when as an experiment I put a very good and reasonably priced player on the block. I should pay more attention.
Old 05-06-2013, 05:27 PM   #7
Ike348
All Star Starter

I've been able to dump my "overpaid veterans" if a trade for a 35+ yr-old minor leaguer who will never make the majors and I add my own minor-leaguers.
Ike348 is offline   Reply With Quote