Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > Perfect Team

Perfect Team Perfect Team 2.0 - The online revolution continues! Battle thousands of PT managers from all over the world and become a legend.

Old 07-18-2019, 02:10 AM   #61
old timer
Hall Of Famer

The Raccoons are starting to rebound - we just took 2 of 3 from the Magpies (a whale of a team) and started to win games we should win. But our WPct is only .588 which is weird seeing this late in the season.

That short experiment with Burgess at C ended when I saw his CERA was 5.27. I'm sure it wouldn't be that bad over a whole season, but I didn't want to find out just how bad it would be. Lava's CERA, by contrast, is 2.49 in 44 Gs.

So we're back to being 7th in R and 1st in RA. Even though Burgess didn't work out, at least my other two major changes have paid off, so I imagine by the end of the year, we'll be up amongst the leaders again in R.
Old 07-18-2019, 03:34 AM   #62
OMGPuppies
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by old timer View Post
The Raccoons are starting to rebound - we just took 2 of 3 from the Magpies (a whale of a team) and started to win games we should win. But our WPct is only .588 which is weird seeing this late in the season.

That short experiment with Burgess at C ended when I saw his CERA was 5.27. I'm sure it wouldn't be that bad over a whole season, but I didn't want to find out just how bad it would be. Lava's CERA, by contrast, is 2.49 in 44 Gs.

So we're back to being 7th in R and 1st in RA. Even though Burgess didn't work out, at least my other two major changes have paid off, so I imagine by the end of the year, we'll be up amongst the leaders again in R.
Is that you selling Burgess?

OMGPuppies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 04:32 AM   #63
old timer
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMGPuppies View Post
Is that you selling Burgess?

Tempting. But I was thinking that right before PT 21 is out, I might use him for a whole season so I can get some idea about how much catcher ability matters.

Last edited by old timer; 07-18-2019 at 04:58 AM.
old timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 05:02 AM   #64
OMGPuppies
All Star Starter

Quote:

Tempting. But I was thinking that right before PT 21 is out, I might use him for a whole season so I can get some idea about how much catcher ability matters.
Two PL teams
Burgess 4.50 41.2 CS%
Spanky 3.86 28.4 CS%

Burgess 4.75 37.5 CS%
Kennedy 4.34 14.3 CS%

Old 07-18-2019, 07:12 AM   #65
One Great Matrix
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by humboldt1498 View Post
Does anyone know if there is any downside to running a 4 man starting pitching staff? It seems like a dumb strategy at first glance, but I don't see much difference in pitching performance starting at 100% versus 70%.
Not really. It's an option. I think they do make their starts slightly "tired" although if they are pitching well 70% has worked fine for me, too, which is about usually where they are after 3 days rest.

Aaand, there's an off day once a week a little more often than not? Anyway, they end up often going on the normal 4 days rest, & so it's not an issue in those turns....a good idea I'd say if you aren't confident in your potential 5th guy...and a 6-man is an option as well if you have enough SPs that you feel like you could start 6+, and can't make up your mind. If you do 6 and let the AI take care of it, pitcher 6 ends up with about 20 starts and the other 5 28/29 instead of 32/33. I did that for most of one season...and I did 4 for a couple weeks at the beginning of this one.

I do know that the one postseason where I racked up most IP for my pitchers, they really got shelled pretty bad by a team they held in check all year. That's not exactly data to demonstrate but it could be. The only problem with it is that it wouldn't clearly demonstrate a connection to the SPs having all the IP during the year, and being tired for the playoffs on that level.

Last edited by One Great Matrix; 07-18-2019 at 07:32 AM.
One Great Matrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 07:16 AM   #66
One Great Matrix
All Star Starter

Quote:
Well, maybe a good catcher does make a difference. After 12 games with Burgess, the Raccoons have gone 4-8 and the pitching has dropped from #1 in most categories to #2 and #3. I have to wait 1 more game before I can put Lava and Campy back, but I'm definitely going to. In addition, Burgess hasn't hit worth anything.

On the bright side, Ruth has been great and has a 1.051 OPS at the moment. That's about it for the bright side.
Yeah, you can check catcher's ERA on the Reports & Logs-->Fielding Statistics page, & IDK if it's just passed balls, defense on plays in front of the plate, and Caught stealing, or if a catcher with a higher rating or some other factor actually calls a better game, but the pitching is up to a +/- 1.00 ERA difference with different catchers with the same staff...seems a wee bit out of the chance range to me.

One Great Matrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 08:38 PM   #67
mcdog512
Hall Of Famer

Location: Pack Robert Gibson; November 9, 1935 – October 2, 2020
Well, got the top voted all-star in P421....Hammerin Henry Aaron. Loved that guy.
Attached Images

mcdog512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 09:00 PM   #68
old timer
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdog512 View Post
Well, got the top voted all-star in P421....Hammerin Henry Aaron. Loved that guy.

I take it you're old enough to have been around when he was playing? I was too young to really appreciate him while he was still playing.

I subscribe to a newspapers website that allows me to read old newspapers from multiple sources and I've been having fun going through the sports sections of the early '70s (yeah, I'm weird). Right now I'm in July of 1974 and I've been enjoying reading all of the different articles about Aaron as they happened. It's a different perspective while it's happening than reading about it later so I'm liking that aspect.
Old 07-18-2019, 09:03 PM   #69
OMGPuppies
All Star Starter

Quote:
I take it you're old enough to have been around when he was playing? I was too young to really appreciate him while he was still playing.

I subscribe to a newspapers website that allows me to read old newspapers from multiple sources and I've been having fun going through the sports sections of the early '70s (yeah, I'm weird). Right now I'm in July of 1974 and I've been enjoying reading all of the different articles about Aaron as they happened. It's a different perspective while it's happening than reading about it later so I'm liking that aspect.
what site is this? Sounds interesting.

Old 07-18-2019, 09:06 PM   #70
mcdog512
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Yea, I started watching baseball in about 1968. I also like to read old newspapers. Reading real newspapers written the day after the Titanic went down was strangely interesting to me.

Old 07-18-2019, 09:13 PM   #71
old timer
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
what site is this? Sounds interesting.

It's newspapers.com. I've been reading the LA Times and Chicago Tribune from that site, but they have lots of smaller papers as well.

For future reference, does anyone know if it violates forum rules to post the address to a site that's not got free content? I looked this up and didn't see this mentioned.
Old 07-18-2019, 09:37 PM   #72
mcdog512
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
It's newspapers.com. I've been reading the LA Times and Chicago Tribune from that site, but they have lots of smaller papers as well.

For future reference, does anyone know if it violates forum rules to post the address to a site that's not got free content? I looked this up and didn't see this mentioned.

Milwaukee Journal Sentinal also had something similar.

Old 07-18-2019, 10:21 PM   #73
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I still have a scorecard and collector's program from a 1973 game at Busch Stadium vs. the Braves. The program featured Aaron and contained a list of all of his HRs to date and a place for you to write in the rest that would take him to #715.
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 10:23 PM   #74
mcdog512
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcin View Post
I still have a scorecard and collector's program from a 1973 game at Busch Stadium vs. the Braves. The program featured Aaron and contained a list of all of his HRs to date and a place for you to write in the rest that would take him to #715.

How cool is that! 73 Braves-Cards would have been great.

Old 07-18-2019, 10:47 PM   #75
BigRed75
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcin View Post
My dad was a free-lance photographer. He was on the field when Henry Aaron hit #714. Took a photo of him crossing home plate that was displayed in our house for many years.

This all, of course, took place before I was born. But it's my little connection to Hammerin' Hank.

SPTT team

Was not a Snag fan...until I saw the fallout once he was gone and realized what a good job he was actually doing. - Ty Cobb
BigRed75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 10:50 PM   #76
mcdog512
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRed75 View Post
My dad was a free-lance photographer. He was on the field when Henry Aaron hit #714. Took a photo of him crossing home plate that was displayed in our house for many years.

This all, of course, took place before I was born. But it's my little connection to Hammerin' Hank.

You're lucky....not lucky for not seeing Hank play as it was happening but for not being old....just wait, it ain't great and it happens sooner than you'd want.....

Old 07-19-2019, 04:00 AM   #77
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

The Critters notched the vaunted silver achievement for ending a 13-game losing streak last night, which sounds like a team in the gutter, which in turn is a precise description. The relegation zone is only three games away.

The Rebs are very middling in Silver and probably won't go places this season.

Finally, the Accountants are the cream of the crop this year, leading their division by 4 1/2. That doesn't mean I am not still struggling with finding improvements at catcher, short, and in the pen. Also, trading is sorta slow this week, I don't know why though…

Resident Mets Cynic - The Mets from 1962 onwards, here.
Westheim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 06:42 AM   #78
moalkha
Minors (Triple A)

Doha (77-29) has a 6 game lead in the NC east over a very strong INKO Seagulls team that has won titles at every level. They also have the best record in the conference so far but it's still a long road to go. The team to beat in the AC is the Bronx Bombers with multiple perfect titles.

Great Lakes (59-47) have been very inconsistent this year and are trailing the Coeur d'Alene Gerbils by 6 games in the AC East. At the moment they are holding the #2 wild card spot with a 2 game lead.

Perugia (62-42) are trailing the Cracktown Drug Mules by 10 games in the NC East but are holding the #1 wild card spot in a very tight 3 teams' battle.

Last edited by moalkha; 07-19-2019 at 06:43 AM.
moalkha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 07:28 AM   #79
BigRed75
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I’m running a four man now after seeing another manager use it with success. He said that he has a eight in the bullpen with two of them starting pitchers set up to be emergency starters.
Follow up question - how to set up that bullpen.

With a seven-man bullpen, I usually do 4 middle relievers, 2 set up men and a closer. Sometimes I'll do 1 long, 3 middle, depending on if I upgrade my rotation but want to keep the guy who's been bumped out on the staff.

With the extra bullpen arm, how would you handle it? One long reliever set up as an emergency starter, 4 middle relievers (one as emergency SP), 2 setup and a closer? Or 2 long men (both as emergency SP), 3 middle relievers, 2 set up and 1 closer. Or something else?

I should say I'm also not averse to running a bullpen by committee if I have the horses. I have been known to have three quality closers, set them all to be setup from 7th inning onward, and set all of their secondary positions as closer. But that's getting a little off topic.

Thanks for the advice.

SPTT team

Was not a Snag fan...until I saw the fallout once he was gone and realized what a good job he was actually doing. - Ty Cobb
BigRed75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 10:39 AM   #80
PocketsAintFull
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdog512 View Post
Yea, I started watching baseball in about 1968. I also like to read old newspapers. Reading real newspapers written the day after the Titanic went down was strangely interesting to me.
Ah, so the old baseball stories were just the tip of the iceberg