Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - Historical Simulations

OOTP 19 - Historical Simulations Discuss historical simulations and their results in this forum.

Old 07-03-2018, 09:45 AM   #1
GreyOdin
Bat Boy

Good Historical Setups and Scenarios?

Hey guys,

My first post here and still very new to the game. Actually, I'm new to baseball in general, it sort of flew under my radar for 46 years (my excuse is I'm from England) but now I'm throwing myself into it wholeheartedly and discovering the strategy and history of this wonderful game.

I was wondering if any had any recommendations or suggestions for some interesting historical starting points? The Deadball era? World War II? The first Golden Age? Is there any starting point or team that you guys found interesting to play?

I'm giving the Expos in the 70s a go to start off with...tough uphill battle so far

Apologies if I missed a thread on this. Thanks in advance for any info!

Cheers!

Grey

Last edited by GreyOdin; 07-03-2018 at 09:48 AM.
GreyOdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 12:17 PM   #2
Beatles Eternally
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyOdin View Post
Hey guys,

My first post here and still very new to the game. Actually, I'm new to baseball in general, it sort of flew under my radar for 46 years (my excuse is I'm from England) but now I'm throwing myself into it wholeheartedly and discovering the strategy and history of this wonderful game.

I was wondering if any had any recommendations or suggestions for some interesting historical starting points? The Deadball era? World War II? The first Golden Age? Is there any starting point or team that you guys found interesting to play?

I'm giving the Expos in the 70s a go to start off with...tough uphill battle so far

Apologies if I missed a thread on this. Thanks in advance for any info!

Cheers!

Grey
Welcome GreyOdin to baseball in general and OOTP in particular. I prefer Deadball Era because I prefer defensive games over slugfests. The Deadball Era will challenge you and it's a lot of fun. Now, that being said, if I were new to baseball and OOTP, I would probably play with a more recent season so that as you are learning the game you will be playing with familiar players thus acquiring a better sense of the game.

Once you're really comfortable, I would suggest browsing around Baseball Reference and find a season that appeals to you.If you like lots of offense, 1930 would be a splendid season to replay. If you like "modern" low scoring pitcher dominated games then 1968 would be superb.

Lastly, you could go all in and replay what many believe to be the greatest season of all time, namely 1908. The pennant races went down to the wire in both leagues but it was the National League with the Giants, Cubs, and Pirates that were the prime focus.

Slainte!!

Beatles

PS: There is a book on the 1908 season which is simply superb. It's titled Crazy '08.

Last edited by Beatles Eternally; 07-03-2018 at 12:19 PM. Reason: Additional thoughts
Beatles Eternally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 08:56 AM   #3
GreyOdin
Bat Boy

That's perfect, thanks a lot for the info!
Old 07-04-2018, 10:17 PM   #4
BaseballMan
Hall Of Famer

No one says you have to play one league at a time. Why not create several leagues from different eras? Also take a look at baseball reference and retrosheet.org. You can see how your league compares.
In my leagues I try to get results in the ballpark of what real players did. For example Babe Ruth may hit 55 or 65 Homers since he hit 60 in real life but he shouldn't hit only 20 unless injured.

For now I would not worry about getting perfect historic results. For one it may be impossible as there is always some variable to change things.
Second if you were to try for the exact results then you might as well just read a book on baseball history.
To me the fun is to have a player like Mickey Mantle with his abilities and see what he does.
Not knowing exactly what he will do.
I saw Lefty Grove win 5 triple crowns in pitching in one league. I think someone on line saw a 67 game hit streak. These are things that make a league fun as well as following the news of the league.
Experiment and experiment. Dont get stuck using one setting till you find what you like. Some settings will change according to the era.
Using 5 man rotations may not make sense in 1903 but hey there is always what ifs to try and answer.
The biggest advice is to make backups.
I backup in preseason, end of season and year end. I cant tell you how many times I gave had to go back because I forgot something or wanted to try something new.
Most of all just have fun. Dont just look at the numbers but let the numbers bring players to your attention. Start learning about the players.
Most of us historic players would trade places with you in a historic draft as our knowledge of baseball history might make us bias when picking between great players where you might have a clearer view.
BaseballMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 08:42 AM   #5
GreyOdin
Bat Boy

Solid advice. Many thanks! I look forward to diving into this game more and more each day