Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > Suggestions for Future OOTP Versions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Suggestions for Future OOTP Versions Post suggestions for the next version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 12-21-2013, 09:00 PM   #1
WillieMaysHayes
Minors (Double A)

Major Glitch - Ticket Prices

Need to fix ticket prices in this game.

You can jack your ticket prices to astronomical levels in this game, still draw fans, and outpace your entire league in revenue.

I've seen it happen recently multiple times with multiple leagues.

Please fix this. It's out of hand. If ticket prices are twice the price of the league average, you should be penalized. If your ticket prices are 5x or 10x the league average, no one should show up. But they still do.
WillieMaysHayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 09:14 PM   #2
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Not to knock your suggestion, but you should police yourself. If you set the avg ticket price in league setup, finances, you'll find that AI controlled teams don't stray too far from that setting. If you're exploiting the AI by jacking your prices way up, well, you should just police yourself and not take advantage of the AI.
Bluenoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 08:21 AM   #3
Honorable_Pawn
Hall Of Famer

House rule alert.

Easier than a fix.

All PBA games broadcast live on Steam.
Honorable_Pawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 03:04 PM   #4
WillieMaysHayes
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenoser View Post
Not to knock your suggestion, but you should police yourself. If you set the avg ticket price in league setup, finances, you'll find that AI controlled teams don't stray too far from that setting. If you're exploiting the AI by jacking your prices way up, well, you should just police yourself and not take advantage of the AI.
Not to knock your advice, but it's 30 owners in an online league I'm trying to police, not me vs. the AI.

Having to check everyone's ticket price every time I conduct a sim is a horrible solution to this problem.

Set up a league with an average ticket price of $1, and then set your ticket price to $10. Even if you lose 3/4 of your games, you'll blow away the league in revenue.

I'm starting to see this ticket price exploit happen in all kinds of online leagues now, and it's practically become a cheat to outspend all of your competition.

Last edited by WillieMaysHayes; 12-22-2013 at 03:05 PM.
Old 12-22-2013, 04:23 PM   #5
Honorable_Pawn
Hall Of Famer

Should be easier to police in the team financial section. You need to have a hard and fast rule: Get caught once and your out--no warnings.

If there were a central report for the commish this wouold make your job easier. As it stands you have to go team by team.

Old 12-22-2013, 04:49 PM   #6
RchW
Hall Of Famer

This must be an online league issue because it doesn't happen in solo leagues I play.

It must also be recent because I don't remember it being a concern in earlier versions of OOTP.

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 05:14 PM   #7
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillieMaysHayes View Post
Not to knock your advice, but it's 30 owners in an online league I'm trying to police, not me vs. the AI.

Having to check everyone's ticket price every time I conduct a sim is a horrible solution to this problem.

Set up a league with an average ticket price of $1, and then set your ticket price to $10. Even if you lose 3/4 of your games, you'll blow away the league in revenue.

I'm starting to see this ticket price exploit happen in all kinds of online leagues now, and it's practically become a cheat to outspend all of your competition.
If it is human owners abusing the system, then it's a league problem, not a game problem. Commish just has to set a ticket price cap, with appropriate penalties for violations.

You say you see it in all kinds of online leagues? How many leagues are you seeing it in? I've been playing in online leagues since OOTP came out back in the late 90's. Never see the abuse you mention, but please list the leagues so I can avoid them.

A simple league rule fixes your problem.
Old 12-26-2013, 02:37 PM   #8
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

Owners should be the ones to set prices, not the GM.
PSUColonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 12:09 PM   #9
mrbill
All Star Reserve

Come on now, it's definitely a bug in OOTP. Don't hate the player, hate the game.

If the attendance model breaks when ticket prices are 10X the league average, then the attendance model is broken.

House rules work, but this is a legit suggestion for v15.
mrbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 12:26 PM   #10
Honorable_Pawn
Hall Of Famer

Agreed, but it's way down the list.

Old 12-28-2013, 12:57 PM   #11
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbill View Post
Come on now, it's definitely a bug in OOTP. Don't hate the player, hate the game.

If the attendance model breaks when ticket prices are 10X the league average, then the attendance model is broken.

House rules work, but this is a legit suggestion for v15.
The attendance model doesn't break, it works fine. This is nothing more than a case of abuse by owners that is preventable by a simple league rule.

If the AI was abusing it, it might be considered a bug, but when owners abuse something that they can easily control themselves, it's not a bug in the game.

Last edited by Bluenoser; 12-28-2013 at 01:00 PM.
Old 12-28-2013, 05:37 PM   #12
byzeil
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honorable_Pawn View Post
Should be easier to police in the team financial section. You need to have a hard and fast rule: Get caught once and your out--no warnings.

If there were a central report for the commish this wouold make your job easier. As it stands you have to go team by team.
There is a central report available to commissioners:

'League Menu --> Stats & Leaders --> Teams Statistics & Info --> Team finances'

This lists Tickets prices along with Market size, loyalty, interest, and several other things for all teams in a 'sub-league'
byzeil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 09:00 PM   #13
chucksabr
Hall Of Famer

I agree: fix this ticket pricing problem. Any major aspect of the game that allows the player to game the system like this is a major flaw, and the ticket pricing/attendance relationship is a major aspect.
chucksabr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 10:47 PM   #14
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

While I can't get too worked up about this myself (sorry) I have logged it in the official bug report tool fwiw.
Lukas Berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 06:28 AM   #15
ssceec
Bat Boy

I have two online leagues going through this now

I agree that the max ticket price cap should be reduced. It sounds like a simple fix.

Sure, it helps for the league to establish a rule about price caps, but the AI can do this even more easily.

The current cap, as pointed out, is 10x the base. If you have a losing team, you can set your price to the max, and guarantee yourself revenues at or near the top of the league every year (because there's also a guaranteed minimum attendance applied). 5x would be much more reasonable, to avoid conflicts in leagues where ticket price dynamics aren't clearly recognized, or where the commissioner doesn't have the best opportunity to regularly police the matter.

From there, more hands-on leagues and commissioners could set whatever cap they wanted to permit the desired amount of variability in gate receipts.
ssceec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 10:46 PM   #16
Honorable_Pawn
Hall Of Famer

Hey OP...

I'm not ehre to agree or disagree. Currently it is what it is. But hopefully you will find this report useful.

It's all in one place:

Name:  Untitled.jpg
Views: 686
Size:  362.9 KB

If you are unfamiliar with how to get this report it was discussed here

Old 01-02-2014, 01:49 PM   #17
Snarf054
Minors (Double A)

I'd be happy if they just made ticket price viewable to everyone. It's not like it is not public knowledge IRL. In my online league I wanted to change my ticket price but to figure out what everyone else was charging I had to divide gate revenue by attendance for everyone just to get an idea. If you could just go look it would be really easy to see if anyone is cheating and it would be easier for new GM's to know if theirs is set to a reasonable price of if the previous owner was as big of an idiot as their payroll looks like they were.
Snarf054 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 03:42 PM   #18
le receveur
All Star Starter

also on Solo leagues, if you can cheat, AI should also allow itself to cheat. I went and 4x the rate of the lowest revenue franchise, and AI changed it back immediately.
le receveur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 07:43 PM   #19
ssceec
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by le receveur View Post
also on Solo leagues, if you can cheat, AI should also allow itself to cheat. I went and 4x the rate of the lowest revenue franchise, and AI changed it back immediately.
Yeah, I noticed that about a solo league I tried to test with. The AI has no interest in bumping ticket prices more than about 20% above the set baseline. In order to make a test of max prices work, I had to take commissioner and GM charge over all teams, and thus force the game to maintain a 10x the baseline max.
ssceec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 12:27 PM   #20
WillieMaysHayes
Minors (Double A)

Just a quick example of an online league where a 10x price just outdistances everyone. I am the Cubs owner and my team currently has a .455 record.

League Financial Report for National Baseball League

Note my gate revenue and attendance level.

There has to be a better cap to this. 10x max is way too high. I'd argue the max should be between 1.25-1.5x